Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

IGN claims Obsidian is working on KOTOR 3

Jora

Arcane
Their unannounced game codenamed Project New Jersey is their own original IP.

Levski 1912

Scholar
Jora said:
What do you do in that game? Drive around looking for pot and lose all your money in Atlantic City?

Mantiis

Cipher
Kumquatq3: "It has been said it is not a sequel, but is it an original IP?"

Feargus: "That first one is hard to answer. It's not exactly an original IP or specifically a license. Lets say that it's something that is inspired by a license."

Lets not let facts get in the way of us bagging out obsidishit

Obsidisux!! YEAH!

Chefe

Erudite
Levski 1912 said:
Jora said:
What do you do in that game? Drive around looking for pot and lose all your money in Atlantic City?

Jora said:
Feargus: "That first one is hard to answer. It's not exactly an original IP or specifically a license. Lets say that it's something that is inspired by a license."

Oh great. Another GTA clone.

Well, time to go shoot up some gansters and bang my hoes. Peace out, homie.

Mantiis

Cipher
Chefe said:
Levski 1912 said:
Jora said:

Jora said:

Well, time to go shoot up some gansters and bang my hoes. Peace out, homie.

Far be it from me to state the bleeding obvious but the codename is just that, a codename. Let's not jump to assumptions until we have some details. Why don't you guys go off and talk about how good fallout is.

Mantiis

Cipher
Dude just cause you have 1304 posts does not make this a joke:

Well, time to go shoot up some gansters and bang my hoes. Peace out, homie

Oh and your quote skills are legendary.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Chefe said:
Locue said:
Other than that; please let this be true. I really wanna find out what Revan is up to.
Boy Revan or girl Revan? Oh wait, it didn't matter at all did it? It might have mattered, if Obsidifuck actually made a choice what ending really happened but NOOOOOOOOOOOO.... idiots.
Girl Revan, of course. Dark Jedi Hoes with lightsabers are hot like alien balls.

Section8

Cipher
I just wrote a script called "The Last Starfighter" and it will blow your mind. I'll let you read it sometime.

Fucking awesome. I used to play a game called something like that at my trailer park every day, and everyone would take time out from banging their siblings to watch me play, because I was that fucking good. Then one day, a couple of aliens came to earth and probed me. Hard. The End.

[edit] Anyone else grow up thinking "The Last Starfighter" was a valid career path, or is that just me?

dagamer667

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
If there is a KotOR 3, I'm hoping for the follow:

• Lightsabers need to be lightsabers. I'm kind of tired of the bullshit where any grunt with a sword can block my awesome lightsaber I spent half the game trying to find.
  • Star Wars is not about sword fights unless we're talking about Jedi. They definitely need to do something about the balance with blasters, and damnit, bad guys need to actually use blasters rather than dealing with swords the entire time when you get close to them. Melee in Star Wars is NOT VIABLE unless you're a Jedi.
  • Lay off the minigame crack. Other than the card game, the rest are pointless and do nothing for the game itself. Forcing them on the player is gayness defined.
  • No more of this bullshit level tie in with NPCs. Followers need to have their own level and experience pools. It's stupid that they can stay on the ship half the game until you need them, and they're instantly levelled up to the right level for you just because you finally need them. That seriously eats away at the replay value of the game as well as just being a stupid mechanic. Followers should be "Use it or lose it".

And hey, what's the big deal if your party members aren't as high a level as you are? Supposedly, you're the hero of the game, not them. [/b]

I agree that the balance between guns and swords is screwed up. KOTOR2 wasn't nearly as bad in that regard as KOTOR1.

OTOH, I liked the fact that NPCs would be leveled up to about one or two levels behind you if you didn't use them all the time. At least that way you don't have to pick one or two characters at the beginning of the game and stick with them forever in order for them to be of any use. Of course, the overpowered jedi classes pretty much ruled out other NPCs unless they were required by a quest or somesuch. XP management is one chore I absolutely HATE - especially in games where all xp goes to whoever lands the final blow/shot/spell/whatever.

I also hope that if KOTOR3 is in development, it's not scheduled for release in the $%&%$* holiday season. KOTOR2 had the best parts of the game cut out to make the release date for the console version (and any differences between PC and console versions are pretty much verbotten).

Sammael

Liturgist
Both KotOR games were very good, although they could have been much, much better. Certainly, all of Saint's complaints are perfectly valid (unlike some of the irrational vitriol being spewed by others).

The first KotOR perfectly captured the Star Wars atmosphere, despite the relatively over-cliched story and campy NPCs. The second one had a significantly better story, but, overall, the game was ridiculously easy and there was an overabundance of crappy combat (especially towards the end, just like in Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines).

I'd be very pleased if the level of writing remained as in KotOR2, but only if the devs were able to actually finish the game. Combat must be changed. Mini-games must be abolished (Pazaak can stay, but only as an option).

Modo

Novice
I agree. I liked playing KOTOR 1 and 2 , even though i was very dissapointed by the "ending" in 2, also combat was very easy, the game quite linear.
The feeling is cool, and i enjoyed the game, that`s what it matters to me, even though I would prefer to play Fallout 2 the 20th time than playing KOTOR 2 a second time :))

AlanC9

Liturgist
How come people are still bringing up the minigames in KotOR? They were completely optional in KotOR2. You're better off not playing the first turret minigame, since you get more XP if you let all the Sith board; the other two are meaningless. And swoop racing has nothing to do with the game, except as a way to earn money.

I thought the levelling up of NPCs works just fine. CRPG levelling is bullshit to begin with, since it's so time-compressed. From apprentice to archmage in what, six months? Having a huge and growing ability gap between the guys on the ship and your party regulars just underscores the silliness of the system.

Chefe

Erudite
There is one more thing I'd like to see in KOTOR that I can't believe I forgot to mention.

I want to plan Han Solo. Why must I always be either Luke or Vadar? Let me be a gun-toting hero, damnit! MAKE JEDI OPTIONAL.

Sammael

Liturgist
Chefe said:
I want to plan Han Solo. Why must I always be either Luke or Vadar? Let me be a gun-toting hero, damnit! MAKE JEDI OPTIONAL.
While I wholeheartedly support the idea of a SW RPG in which a non-Jedi, non-Sith character would be just as viable as his force-using counterparts, KotOR series is not really the right place for this. It's about Knights of the Old Republic, after all.

But I would really like to see a new CRPG series that focused less on the epic-scale conflicts and "fate of the universe" stuff, and I would hope that such a series would make it possible to play blaster-totting scoundrels.

4too

Arcane
Day X, A Variable; Poop P, A Constant

Day X, A Variable; Poop P, A Constant

Section 8:
Anyone else grow up thinking "The Last Starfighter" was a valid career path, or is that just me?

Sure, just another 'day in the life' of the ever popular ""Heroes' Journey"".

Requires a well oiled 'legend in your own mind' to negotiate the tightly timed gearing.
Got to appropriately translate that 'power to weight ratio' to optimize the acceleration.
Let one's inertial mass, frictional forces, and good old Motha' G keep one on top of the curve,
anticipating that MAXIMUM BURN when aligned with the straight and narrow ....

Oh, and have as many sponsor stickers, as possible, plastered on your ride and your regalia to cover yo' metaphorical hero'z ass.

[Cuz da BIG MONEY iz in ENDORSEMENTS.]

4too

Chefe

Erudite
Sammael said:
While I wholeheartedly support the idea of a SW RPG in which a non-Jedi, non-Sith character would be just as viable as his force-using counterparts, KotOR series is not really the right place for this. It's about Knights of the Old Republic, after all.

But I would really like to see a new CRPG series that focused less on the epic-scale conflicts and "fate of the universe" stuff, and I would hope that such a series would make it possible to play blaster-totting scoundrels.[/quote]

He wouldn't be as viable, he would be less viable; i.e. it would be alot harder. Of course, it would also offer routes that couldn't be taken as a Jedi, more difficult routes that would really up the challenge of the game and take the story on a different path.

When I first played KOTOR, I literally said "hell freakin' yea". The opening sequence on the space ship, and the first planet of Taris, were just astounding.

Then I found out that you were forced to becoming a Jedi, the rest of the planets were pretty bland (except for the Jedi homeworld), and... oh yea... you were tied to some prophecy, you were actually Revan no matter what, and the game featured a "choose your own ending" scenario.

bryce777

Erudite
What is good about them? TEH AWESOME STORY OF THE AWESOME FORCE?

Sorry, but if you like these games after all the descriptions I have heard, you can't be much of an rpg fan. At least, they are shit as rpgs, maybe cool if your idea of a fun game is watching storm troopers die and playing jedi dressup.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Chefe said:
He wouldn't be as viable, he would be less viable; i.e. it would be alot harder. Of course, it would also offer routes that couldn't be taken as a Jedi, more difficult routes that would really up the challenge of the game and take the story on a different path.

If I remember right, it was Han Solo that took Darth Vader out so Luke could destroy the Death Star in the original Star Wars.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom