Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Tim Cain joins MCA over at Obsidian Entertainment

MMXI

Arcane
Wake me up when Obsidian decide to create a turn-based RPG with full party control and full party creation.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Excidium said:
markec said:
I think that Bloodlines 2 could be a realistic project for Obsidian. Over time it became a cult classic so it has established fanbase, its a first person game and that all kiddies want, also its gritty, mature and many more buzz words so it would be rather easy to pitch that idea to some publisher.
Yeah, but I don't think CCP will want anyone using the VTM license before they release their game.

Werewolf: the Apocalypse, on the other hand, is ripe for the taking...now that would be a good action RPG, let's cleanse the world and pile corpses. :bounce:
Finally some suggestions that are faintly possible and faintly interest me...

@FTR: But Tim isn't faggoty homo gay like Tom Cruise, he's macho cool bro gay like Jaesun :bro:

Disclaimer: Tom Cruise being faggoty homo gay has nothing to do with his sexual orientation. And I have no idea what Tim Cain is like but his last name is awesome.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
MMXI said:
Wake me up when Obsidian decide to create a turn-based RPG with full party control and full party creation.

You are going to be sleeping a very very very very long time bro....

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
ARC 2 in a TOEE like engine? I could buy into that unliek Obsidian last 4 failures.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Who cares if he's gay or not? Most of you would let him touch you in that special place anyway, so shut up about it already.

In other words, great news. Looking forward to seeing what spawns.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'll be excited when Obsidian gets back to producing decent games.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Metro said:
I'll be excited when Obsidian gets back to producing decent games.

To be able to do that they'd have to produce a decent game in the first place. :smug:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Re: Tim Cain joins Obsidian Entertainment

VentilatorOfDoom said:
Word is, they're shooting for Arcanum 2 in a ToEE-like engine.
Proof that the news section has worst trolling than GD.

MetalCraze

Arcane
J_C said:
:mca: What are you saying? I can't hear you. What? AP ripped off MGS? Your lack of knowledge about MGS amaze me.

MGS has even less "gameplay" and much more FMVs instead but "stealth", characters and plot are mutually retarded and can impress only teenagers.

MMXI said:

That isn't what a good RPG is.

vfe9op.jpg

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The codex is schizo. Or at least a part of it.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (2004)
Neverwinter Nights 2 (2006)
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (2007)
Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir (2008)
Alpha Protocol (2010)
Fallout: New Vegas (2010)
Dungeon Siege III (2011)
--------------------------------------------------------------
Wheel of Time (in development)

I agree that AP and DS3 are shit. NWN2 and KOTOR2 - mediocre to brilliant. F3 NV - absolutely good, but not brilliant. Overall 3 good games from a total of 5. So, what's the problem? They did not do original IPs!? It's easy to complain, especially when we have the example of Troika.

Zak

Educated
Meh.

Now Sawyer, MCA and Tim should all jump ship one by one to the only place they're making real RPGs.

To Doublebear, obviously.

zool

Arcane
markec said:
I think that Bloodlines 2 could be a realistic project for Obsidian. Over time it became a cult classic so it has established fanbase, its a first person game and that all kiddies want, also its gritty, mature and many more buzz words so it would be rather easy to pitch that idea to some publisher.

:bounce:

Jason

chasing a bee
Who cares if he's gay or not? Most of you would let him touch you in that special place anyway, so shut up about it already.
Yes, but him being gay means we need to worry about whether we call him the next day. Who needs that kind of pressure?

As to the news, please insert the appropriate celebratory gif or png.

MetalCraze

Arcane
toro said:
F3 NV - absolutely good, but not brilliant.
It's a dumb shit compared to normal Fallout

It's easy to complain, especially when we have the example of Troika.
Yeah Troika basically did good Fallout that wasn't dumb shit.

Zak said:
Meh.

Now Sawyer, MCA and Tim should all jump ship one by one to the only place they're making real RPGs.

To Doublebear, obviously.

Ditch completely untalented dipshits like Sawyer and MCA and it may just happen. Besides I imagine Mitsoda is quite upset with how MCA completely raped his characters in AP.

Also MCA owns Obsidian, so why would he go anywhere when he can already make shitty sequels and MGS ripoffs with a juvenile writing to his heart's content.
AP showed the true "talent" of MCA when he isn't assisted by half of a dozen writers and a setting creator like it was in PST (I wonder if there are still people thinking that MCA created Planescape lol)

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
Ditch completely untalented dipshits like Sawyer and MCA and it may just happen. Besides I imagine Mitsoda is quite upset with how MCA completely raped his characters in AP.

Heck (the maniac cartoony ally that has resources out of nowhere) is the one closest written to Mitsodas AP. It had a Assistent that had a "hello kitty" backpack and there was a Michael Bay Scene where Mike had to choose between saving a bus with a bomb or stopping the cartoon villian from flying away in a helicopter (And throwing Madison out of it. For no reason other than to be "theatrical".

Yeah, I just see how MCA "raped" that.

Oh, wait I'm talking to Skyway. Nevermind.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
MetalCraze said:
J_C said:
:mca: What are you saying? I can't hear you. What? AP ripped off MGS? Your lack of knowledge about MGS amaze me.

MGS has even less "gameplay" and much more FMVs instead but "stealth", characters and plot are mutually retarded and can impress only teenagers.
No. But wait, why am I arguing with you here? Stupid me!

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

There is hope yet. :salute:

Cynic

Arcane
Turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based Turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based Turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based Turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based Turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based Turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based Turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based Turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
IronicNeurotic said:
MetalCraze said:

Heck (the maniac cartoony ally that has resources out of nowhere) is the one closest written to Mitsodas AP. It had a Assistent that had a "hello kitty" backpack and there was a Michael Bay Scene where Mike had to choose between saving a bus with a bomb or stopping the cartoon villian from flying away in a helicopter (And throwing Madison out of it. For no reason other than to be "theatrical".

Yeah, I just see how MCA "raped" that.

Oh, wait I'm talking to Skyway. Nevermind.
Don't forget the scene where Michael Thorton cries like a baby for minutes.

Annie probably wrote that.

At least I hope so.

bussinrounds

Augur
Cynic said:
Turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based Turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based Turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based Turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based Turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based Turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based Turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based Turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based turn based...
:thumbsup:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Re: Tim Cain joins Obsidian Entertainment

Aldebaran said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Too good for this world.

EDIT: Hell, just a remake of Arcanum with better combat and graphics with nothing else changed would be awesome.

They could change the music up a bit, too. I wanted to break that god damn violin by the end of the game.

Also, the levelling system could use a little work. Personally, I dislike it when a game lets you invest a ton of points into attributes after character generation. Rebalance attributes (I am looking at you, Dexterity) while they are at it.

But what do I care, it's never going to happen.
Personally, I think the mechanical side of Arcanum needs to thrown out of the window and redone completely. The character system is one of the most hideous mars on the game. It had good ideas like serious incorporation of crafting skills (though in the end underdeveloped, since most tech items sucked balls), but overall it's just FUBAR (most notably the attribute system).

But motherfucker the violins are gonna stay. Part of the atmosphere of Arcanum is that the game also acts as a violin symphony as you go through various moods and setpieces. What I say it needs is moar tracks to the soundtrack, and a little more symphonic orchestra to back up the violins.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom