Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Do JRPG's do anything well?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Are you blind? squinty eyes keep you from seeing things?

Ruprekt

Scholar
ss-050.jpg

mondblut

Arcane
damicore said:
Yes, it looks like narnia shit and motherfucking SMT 1 is way more virile than most WRPGs.
If you haven't seen a single SMT1 pic then shut the fuck up.

Shin_Megami_Tensei_J_V1.0_T_Eng1.00_AGTP_017b60.png

Virility ensues, weeaboo faggot.

damicore

Augur
Jack frost Is just supposed to be a minion staple in all megaten games.
I find the monster roster in megaten games not nearly as gay as the plethora of elves found in many of your highly praised wRPGs.
Let aside that gay ass narnia tiger-shemale from wiz8.

DraQ

Arcane
malichaixx said:
damicore said:
malichaixx said:
damicore said:
malichaixx said:
20.gif

They're good at inspiring players of moddable western RPGs to turn them into cutesy-poo weeaboo anime shitfests.

With tentacle rape.

Tell me moar about things that are gay with your narnia avatar man. :o

EDIT: In before bash because the avatar is from wiz8.
Wiz1 for the NES owns wiz8 (at least in what's manhood related).

Didn't say anything was gay :P

U mad, bro?

"Cutesy-poo weeaboo anime shitfests, w/e", there.
The thing is your avatar is way more repulsive than that.

So, I take it that by your offense taken at my words, that you suck the cocks of JRPG devs.

Good to know.
Well, some posters are deeply butthurt by furry characters. Especially feline ones - I think barbed dicks are to blame here.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
damicore said:
Jack frost Is just supposed to be a minion staple in all megaten games.
I find the monster roster in megaten games not nearly as gay as the plethora of elves found in many of your highly praised wRPGs.
Let aside that gay ass narnia tiger-shemale from wiz8.

618058-wizardry6_charon_1_.gif
UWStygian1b.jpg

1059329184-00.gif
dsun8063.jpg

vs

phantasystar-5.jpg
Star-Ocean-Second-Evolution-Photo.jpg

gfs_21658_2_6.jpg
dragonwarrior3.png

damicore

Augur
Is that wiz 6? The snes japanese version looks so much sweeter.
AND you can make your own char portraits through pixel art.
Also, the only guys who are actually launching new fp dungeon crawlers are the japs:
Wizardry, Elminage, SMT Strange Journey, The Dark Spire, Baroque, Hungry Ghosts for the PS2, and the ones by those guys from entaku no seito for PC and I didn't have to quote a single homosexually art directed one (Like Etrian Oddysey, Class of Heroes and some graphic roguelikes in the fushigi no dungeon series)
Google those games, then come talk about jrpgs.
Also, some of the latest SMT games for the ps2 look awesome.
I don't like the art in none of those jrpgs you posted (except the nes dragon quest, 8bit graphs will always look sweet, no matter what art direction is given).
The only thing I'm saying here is that japs are not the only ones who make gay games and nowadays they're the only ones staying somewhat true to the old-school RPG genre in some of their titles.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
First of all, I know about Wiz6 SNES, ffs. I'm pretty much the guy here who gives it blowjobs at every opportunity to make people play it. But the fact is that it doesn't have any of the animu art that makes sane eyes bleed.

Second of all, I'm talking about JRPGs, not Japanese dungeon crawlers. The former are understood to be impressively gay; the latter have very strong western influences with only a few exceptions, so it wouldn't make much sense to segregate them as we do with JRPGs. I personally like the main SMT series and the Dark Spire, and I think there was one jap Wiz spinoff that wasn't half bad. Etrian Odyssey also looks to be p sweet, apart from, again, the problem of the art style. When you look at JRPGs, you see things like:
Neptunia.jpg
Dawn_of_Mana_Coverart.jpg

1277337316_arcadia_dc_front.jpg

arc-rise.png
starocean.jpg

What you claimed was that jap games have manlier, more virile art, and I think that isn't the case. Even games with good art like Nocturne have pansy-looking humans, while other good jap crawlers have styles too western to be put on a jap pedestal. I mean if you didn't know that Atlus made TDS, would you even think this was jap?
the-dark-spire-2.jpg

Clockwork Knight said:
oh fuck yes i love these threads where we google random game images and compare them
For better or for worse, I've played the two PS2 games I posted, and I watched an LP of Neptunia, God save my soul, so they're not totally random.

damicore

Augur
I'm well aware of the gayness of many jRPGs, but
Have never played a wRPG with decent art so there you go.
I knew from the very first time I saw a the dark spire screenshot that it was a jap game because japs are pretty much the only guys who can in some occassions afford, for some reason, not being graphic whores (and gameplay whores).
I've seen some wrpgs from the 80's which look pretty nice but they have no BGM which turns them unplayable to me.
I'm just tired of people bashing RPGs made in Japan just because they come from the land of jRPGs (which is a pretty stupid term tbh), they're the only ones who still release a couple of gems once in a while.
I mean, what half-decent RPG have major western companies released in the last couple of years?

PorkaMorka

Arcane
cboyardee said:
Could you explain this? I don't really understand, what part of Fire Emblem doesn't meet the criteria for being a JRPG?

cboyardee said:
I guess, but Realms of Arkania doesn't play similarly to Wizardry, which doesn't play similarly to Ultima and there are two entirely different systems for Arcanum. I don't think combat is the single qualifier for JRPGs. I think it's a lot of stuff, including presentation.

One could argue that two RPGs could be in the same genre despite having different battle systems.

But we're not talking about games that play the same aside from the battles. Most Fire Emblem games just consist of a series of battle scenarios linked by text cutscenes. There isn't any out of combat exploration or running around towns talking to people. At most you'll typically get to manage your dudes between battles and re-stock on basic weapons. It is literally Advance Wars (a strategy game) with more stats and more dialog. (Or heck, Fantasy General with more stats and more dialog.)

It plays in a manner which is incredibly different from the established JRPG formula and much more like a strategy game.

Not every RPG from Japan is a JRPG. Japan also produces tactical RPGs (Fire Emblem), Action RPGs (Demon's Souls) and Dungeon Crawlers/Blobbers (Etrian Odyssey). Some less well defined sub genres as well, of course.

JRPG is a specific formula including games like Final Fantasy, Suikoden, Septerra Core[1], etc. Not every JRPG will play exactly the same, but it's a well established genre with a lot of common elements.

[1] Not from Japan, but intentionally made using all the elements of a classic JRPG to cash in on the popularity of FF7.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
DraQ said:
malichaixx said:
damicore said:
malichaixx said:
damicore said:
malichaixx said:
20.gif

They're good at inspiring players of moddable western RPGs to turn them into cutesy-poo weeaboo anime shitfests.

With tentacle rape.

Tell me moar about things that are gay with your narnia avatar man. :o

EDIT: In before bash because the avatar is from wiz8.
Wiz1 for the NES owns wiz8 (at least in what's manhood related).

Didn't say anything was gay :P

U mad, bro?

"Cutesy-poo weeaboo anime shitfests, w/e", there.
The thing is your avatar is way more repulsive than that.

So, I take it that by your offense taken at my words, that you suck the cocks of JRPG devs.

Good to know.
Well, some posters are deeply butthurt by furry characters. Especially feline ones - I think barbed dicks are to blame here.
:lol:

Reject_666_6

Arcane
damicore said:
I'm just tired of people bashing RPGs made in Japan just because they come from the land of jRPGs (which is a pretty stupid term tbh), they're the only ones who still release a couple of gems once in a while.
I mean, what half-decent RPG have major western companies released in the last couple of years?

There are plenty of fans here of jap games, in all kinds of different genres. Sengoku Rance, Demon's Souls, Nobunaga's Ambition, Valkyria Chronicles or Tactics Ogre all come to mind. Just that RPGs are very rarely in that category. Indeed, nowadays japs cater to the crawler fan far more than gringos do, but this isn't CrawlCodex - you don't see them making any new Fallouts, any Betrayals at Krondor or any Dark Suns, and those are games that make up a huge part of this site's fanbase.

PorkaMorka said:
JRPG is a specific formula including games like Final Fantasy, Suikoden, Septerra Core[1], etc. Not every JRPG will play exactly the same, but it's a well established genre with a lot of common elements.

[1] Not from Japan, but intentionally made using all the elements of a classic JRPG to cash in on the popularity of FF7.

Don't forget PST.
:rpgcodex:

deuxhero

Arcane
@Reject_666_6

Just ignore how only 1 game you show isn't shit (the first two are considered shit even by fans of the genre, SO:TtEoT has exceptionally mixed views, as did ARF) and focus on how you only posted box artl, not in-game stuff (otherwise, we all know how shit Bloodline's art is).

in-game pics of good jRPGs

skies_screen009.jpg

66091-Baten_Kaitos_Eternal_Wings-12.jpg

gfs_187474_2_2.jpg

gfs_47502_1_22.jpg

gfs_44139_2_13.jpg

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
What's with all this talk of virile artwork talk? Seems pointless to me how "manly" the drawing is if one just doesn't like the artist's particular bent or how the character is written.

The whole thing about this "gayness" seems a bit misconceived. The primary consumers of these games (the number of Japanese in their twenties and up don't seem as interested in games compared to USA citizens) are Japanese children and teenagers. What is on the minds of most young men? Getting girls to like them. What seems to be idealized images for young men? That they are not fat/flabby and they seem to have a bit of "cuteness" about them. In this sense the shonen anime artstyle is just a component of the usual RPG ego boost, but from a younger perspective and one that is much more familiar with the drawing techniques popularly used in Japan.

Granted, some parts of those covers posted above just don't feel right to me, but I am not so screwed up that any of them would ruin my day or make any satisfying gameplay feel less so. That Neptunia one, though, feels too much like child exploitation (not to mention I read on Gamefaqs how boring and at times frustrating the extra-low budget-ness of this game is, IIRC). The Dawn of Mana looks the second least appealing, but I can dig it if the game environment is really back-to-nature with a tribal society (thus the appearance fits) and the gameplay is fun/intuitive and well presented.

Like, jeez, stop hating with your sheeple views on stuff outside of your control (the entire commercial game industry, for example).

And don't be feeling hatred towards me either. I put some thought into this post, and I wouldn't be around the Codex if I didn't appreciate others thoughts on RPGs as well.

Machocruz

Arcane
Reject_666_6 said:
. I mean if you didn't know that Atlus made TDS, would you even think this was jap?
the-dark-spire-2.jpg

Yes. That's along the lines of more "realistic" anime/manga fair, like Record of Lodoss War, Cowboy Bebop, Lone Wolf and Cub, with a little bit of Don Bluth. The face is really similar to some of the male characters in Princess Mononoke (not as gay as the title would lead you to believe).

I could immediately tell that was done by a jap, because Americans can't draw that kind of stylized realism well anymore. Image comics and shit like Fable basically convinced everyone you don't actually have to know correct anatomy or what makes for appealing proportions, or how shadows work.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Giauz Ragnacock said:
What's with all this talk of virile artwork talk? Seems pointless to me how "manly" the drawing is if one just doesn't like the artist's particular bent or how the character is written

Somebody said jRPGs have more manly art, so I just popped in the thread to say they don't. The rest of the thread is what it is, but I'm not getting involved in that. Have fun!

Machocruz said:
I could immediately tell that was done by a jap, because Americans can't draw that kind of stylized realism well anymore. Image comics and shit like Fable basically convinced everyone you don't actually have to know correct anatomy or what makes for appealing proportions, or how shadows work.

I guess I stand corrected.

deuxhero

Arcane
Reject_666_6 said:
deuxhero said:
in-game pics of good jRPGs

None of those games apart from Radiant Historia seem like any good at all, and I don't see any macho, virile art in any of them, sorry to say.

Interesting how you know RH's name. It is not one of the 2 with the name in the image (and BKO is mislabeled)...

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
PorkaMorka said:
Yeah, this is sort of what I meant by presentation. I agree with the majority of what you say, and I think there are definitely subcategories like aRPG, sRPG (which Shining Force and Fire Emblem fit into) but to me, JRPG is more of an umbrella term that all of this fits under. It's all just a bunch of stupid semantics anyway.

On the topic of cool art from these games -

Last Armageddon
eOSGA.gif

Sorcerian
irs7W.jpg

eKJlw.jpg

OUC0c.jpg

yDHpf.jpg

92L4R.jpg

Zelda
NTH2F.jpg

gOikD.jpg

8chil.jpg

OtWsV.jpg

Wizardry
VywV9.jpg

I remember looking at the concept art in the Wizardry manual for hours as a kid. I wish I could find bigger pictures.

Dragon Buster
R4xb0.jpg

Power Slave
uHJOl.png

A lot of this art is seriously good. There's a lot of awful shit too, but I guess you have to figure out how to filter it all out. Check out FMTowns Marty for some bizarre and fascinating pictures of old Japanese games. A lot of it is NSFW!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom