Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cool jRPG party members?

deuxhero

Arcane
OK, so most of the genre is full of really really really stupid characters. Any GOOD characters?

Only one I can think of right now

176px-Guillo.jpg

Guillo from Baten Kaitos: Origins

Guillo is a crazed magic wielding hermaphrodite "puppet" voiced by a Samuel L. Jackson sound alike overlayed with a woman's voice (the effect is VERY cool). Guillo mocks most of the game's characters (especially the obvious/oblivious love interest). Guillo also threatens to eat children at least twice. (Yes, this is your ALLY)

The cast of Final Fantasy V get honorable mention. While not exceptional, are fun to have around.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Dekar from Lufia 2 is among my favourites. He's generally dumb as a rock, but some sort of idiot savant fighter. Has no magical abilities as a party member, but the best physical stats for most categories. Around mid game, he gets left behind in a collapsing temple ruin while the rest of the party escapes via teleportation magic. And he's surrounded by powerful monsters and a boss.

Cut to the end of the game; the party is about to take off in their bullshit ship/submarine/airship vessel to attack the floating fortress of the big bad. However, the town is absolutely filled with monsters. Not like a horde of goblins either, big fucking dragons and shit that each take several rounds for your entire party to kill, and there are dozens of these fuckers around the town and clogging the water channel out of the indoor ship dock the vessel is in, preventing them from leaving. At this point, Dekar shows up completely out of the blue, tells the party to board the ship and take off while he handles the monsters. In the time it takes to board the ship and leave, he's already wiped out every single monster in the town. If you actually had to fight all of them in real battles, it'd probably amount to more xp and gold than the party has earned through the entire fucking game up to that point.

The best part of this is the fact that the 4 main party members are all special destined heroes blah blah etc. Dekar is just some random fucking meathead they made friends with. No sacred magic sword, special lineage, or anything. Just a crazy fucker with an axe.

roboHD--article_image.jpg

deuxhero said:
Which FF?

That's Kimahri from FFX and X-2.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Kimahri_Ronso

edit: also qualifies

geno_whirl_by_brandokay.jpg

I suppose I should explain why I like those two, but Geno and Robo don't have many defining characteristics, they are just fun to have around and want to help. It's...refreshing, I guess. No drama.

There's also Hahn from Phantasy Star 4. Useless in combat and a pushover out of it, but that's what I liked about him - he was a "normal person", clearly not suited for heroics.

ps4char3hahn.png

phantasy-star-iv-4-_0021.jpg

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Oh, and honourable mention goes to Blue from SaGa Frontier. Your quest is to master as many types of magic as possible at the behest of your kingdom. Upon completing this task (In one instance by murdering the sole user of that type of magic and stealing his powers) you are confronted by your 'twin' who has been competing with you at the same task, and holds all the opposite schools of magic (which you cannot learn, since one may only master one school or the other, but enver both.) Murdering him reveals he was not in fact your twin, but your other half, split from you by magic as part of a (successful) scheme to create the ultimate magician. By killing him you absorb all his powers and attain mastery over pretty much every school of magic. At this point, you're probably a good candidate for ruling the entire world as a god. Returning home, you discover why this scheme was hatched: the seal to the portal to hell has finally broken, and your home kingdom lies in ruins. You walk straight into hell itself, and start fighting the lord of hell himself,so that the seal may be restored, and you are trapped inside to battle with the lord of hell for all eternity. The end.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
t4v8f7.jpg

2lizwcz.jpg

Viktor from Suikoden is worthy enough that he could easily have fit into a WRPG.

My memories of that game have faded, but he gets away from a lot of the annoying aspects of JRPGs because he is an adult, who is a veteran fighter, who looks like a veteran fighter and who was written to be likeable.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
art-scias1.gif

Scias. They kind of ruined him in the US / EU localization, but he's still alright. In the US / EU he's a shy mercenary who st-st-st-stutters a lot. In the original language, the reason he stuttered a lot was because he wast drunk 24/7. I also liked his big floppy dog ears. Good character in combat too.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
basch-baltier.jpg

These two fellows - Basch and Balthier. The most level-headed characters I've seen in jRPGs. You can't go more sensible then that (at least in that genre). The first is your standard Lawful Good knight, except that with reasonable motivation. The latter is basically Han Solo, only more cynical. Frankly, if they killed off Panelo and Vaan twat, either of these two would have made amazing main protagonist.

Other than that

ff9-vivi.jpg

While FFIX is arguably the most childish in the post FFVII series it is also most the coherent of them. And while Vivi doesn't strike as the coolest character ever from his apparition and character one has to credit him that when faced with mind-shattering dilemmas he actually does shit instead of whining like pampered primadonna.

Let's not forget the kewlest protagonist evar:

kenshin5_0132_sranceupdatek3133.jpg

I will let you decide which one of the two is that. :smug:

Ignus. Trololololooooo!

Well. I liked Steiner in FF9, he hates the main character just as I do, and he doesn't do any fancy "cool" shit in fights, he's just a knight in heavy armor with a two-handed sword, and his limit just makes him deal double damage. I also like his theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNJaFhOb ... re=related it sounds like somebody facepalming at all the dumb shit.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Death to jrpgs and permaban to everyone who posted (seriously) in this thread.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
These two fellows - Basch and Balthier. The most level-headed characters I've seen in jRPGs. You can't go more sensible then that (at least in that genre). The first is your standard Lawful Good knight, except that with reasonable motivation. The latter is basically Han Solo, only more cynical. Frankly, if they killed off Panelo and Vaan twat, either of these two would have made amazing main protagonist.

I can't help but laugh when I read this and then look at those 16 year old, douchebag faces.
And some wonder why one can't take this jRPG shit seriously...

Oh yeah, and this:

Death to jrpgs and permaban to everyone who posted (seriously) in this thread.

DraQ

Arcane
Any character from Anachronox.
:obviously:

Also, I see furfags are getting disproportionate amount of love here, especially for codex standards.
It's understandable though - even if you're not a furry (or, more precisely, feel seething hatred for anything furry-related, like most of the codex posters do), they are still preferable to androgynous emo douchebags.
:smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom