Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How come no one but the people of the Codex

MCA
That wasn't what I meant but ok. But then, your personal preferences and patience can change in time. Investing in a game to learn its rules is one thing. Learning to work dysfunctional interfaces is another. You can easily find yourself in a spot where having to put up with such interface or whatnot does effectively negate whatever fun factor the game has.

Educated
JarlFrank said:
Well, I did grow up with computer games, I'm just a latecomer to the RPG genre, which I started in the late 90's with Diablo, then I played the M&Ms, BG2, later the Wizardries, I loved Arcanum and Morrowind when they came out.
Man, Diablo is pretty much the very definition of popamole :lol: I loved that game, but come on, nigger... how on Earth can you bitch about COD (or whatever) after THAT?

Renegen

Arcane
Nigger, when Diablo first came out there was literally nothing else like it. The randomized loot, the randomized dungeons, the atmosphere, sounds, combat, all with modern looking graphics. It was also one of the first to offer great multiplayer. It's hard to call it in rear view "popamole".

PorkaMorka

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
if a game is fun it's fun. That doesn't change 20 years after its release either.

I'm not so sure about that. I think certain games raise the bar and once you've played them, other similar but more primitive games become less fun because it becomes clear that they pale in comparison to something you've already played.

JA2 for example raised the bar. It was so successful at what it tried to do that it really makes me reluctant to play more primitive, tedious and thoughtless versions of the same formula.

I think it's entirely possible for a game to be awesome in 1989 but kind of boring in 2011.

Combine this with the failure of games to incline in a steady fashion and the number of enjoyable games can get really small.

EDIT: I do think there are a number of really old games that have never had this happen to them, but I would attribute that in large part to the fact that the incline of games slowly tapered off, so certain really old games remain largely unsurpassed.

Educated
Renegen said:
Nigger, when Diablo first came out there was literally nothing else like it. The randomized loot. the randomized dungeons
LOL... not sure if serious.

the atmosphere,
Very grimdark, all right :lol:

Truly great, yeah.

LOL! :lol: :roll:

Code:
all with modern looking graphics. It was also one of the first to offer great multiplayer. It's hard to call it in rear view "popamole"
I see you're one of them sheeple :lol: GTFO, you have no taste whatsoever.
How old are you anyway?

edit: Also, what the fuck do you mean "modern graphics"? IIRC, it was standard SVGA, and 3dfx was already killing 2D back then.
edit: I stand corrected, Voodoo was released a couple of months earlier.

Educated
jancobblepot said:
314159 said:
Man, Diablo is pretty much the very definition of popamole :lol:

:what:
I'm a confused newfag right now...
So you don't remember ENORMOUS butthurt of the elitists, huh? "Tis not an ur-pee-gee! DECLINE!!! (hurr durr)"

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
mole-animation.gif

Black Cat

Magister
@ 314159

Uhm... Maybe I'm confused right now and stuffies, but wasn't popamole a reference to sticky cover shooters like Gears of War and Mass Effect 2? Like, because they play totally like that gif thingie Jaesun posted.

Like in, say, there's no way Diablo can be popamole and all that?

Educated
Black Cat said:
Like, because they play totally like that gif thingie Jaesun posted.
Like in, say, there's no way Diablo can be popamole and all that?
Huh? Diablo's gameplay is EXACTLY like the Jaesuns gif.

Are we even talking about the same Diablo? Blizzards Diablo? That point and click exercise extraordinaire? Have you even played it?

Black Cat

Magister
The moles aren't hidden in Diablo. They run at you and you click on them. POPAMOLE, meanwhile, implies the enemies hide behind or beneath something, coming out only every now and then for you to pew pew them. See? Moles. Hidden. Come out. You shoot them in the head with your, uhm, mallet thingie before they hide again. That's POPAMOLE.

Even Time Crisis is closer to the ideal popamolish activity than Diablo will ever be. :?

Educated
This is hilarious on so many levels... Kids, Diablo was MAJOR DECLINE, HUGE DERP and BANAL SHIT BORING of the 90s. Mostly due to the absolutely mindless, point and clicky combat.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
No one is saying otherwise, it's just that you seem to be confusing "popamole" with "dumbed down".

Black Cat

Magister
Who said it wasn't decline? The argument here isn't whether or not Diablo was decline or not, but that POPAMOLE doesn't mean what you seem to think it does.

Hilarious on so many levels, indeed.

Educated
Black Cat said:
The moles aren't hidden in Diablo. They run at you and you click on them. POPAMOLE, meanwhile, implies the enemies hide behind or beneath something, coming out only every now and then for you to pew pew them. See? Moles. Hidden. Come out. You shoot them in the head with your, uhm, mallet thingie before they hide again. That's POPAMOLE.
Mkay, sir. So Diablo wasn't even a popamole. It was WORSE :lol:

Educated
Lonely Vazdru said:
No one is saying otherwise
O rly? I thought that elitist guy was bragging about his RPG experience? Or something?

, it's just that you seem to be confusing "popamole" with "dumbed down"
I seem to be confusing popamole with point and click when they apper.

Who said it wasn't decline?
Well, I did grow up with computer games, I'm just a latecomer to the RPG genre, which I started in the late 90's with Diablo

Black Cat

Magister
@ Number-Kun

Oh, ok. That's fine.

:mob:

Burn him! And stuffies. And thingies, too.

In any case, Diablo is :decline: but not :popamole:. Though Diablo is kind of fun if you play it like Gauntlet with horrible controls. With the mage, at least. Pew pew pew, etc.

Though we really should get a KKKodex wiki along the lines of what lurkmore is for 4chan and 2chan. Someone should go and convince DU to make one. Someone brave. Fearless, even.

@ Ronery V.

I love that movie! :salute:

You just won +1 Coolness for remembering the scene and finding an image in less than a couple of minutes.

Data4

Arcane
Lonely Vazdru said:
Black Cat said:
The argument here isn't whether or not Diablo was decline or not, but that POPAMOLE doesn't mean what you seem to think it does.
inconceivable.jpg

It's kinda cute, though. Like some middle aged balding white guy grossly misusing gangsta speak to try to fit in with the kids.

No, wait. That's creepy.

Mortmal

Arcane
No black cat explained it, if the mole doesnt hide it isnt a popamole, therefore diablo is a fully fledged rpg.

St. Toxic

Arcane
But the mobs are hidden, you have to explore the dungeons to find them. :/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom