Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How come no one but the people of the Codex

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
314159 said:
Lonely Vazdru said:
No one is saying otherwise
O rly? I thought that elitist guy was bragging about his RPG experience? Or something?

Well, I did grow up with computer games, I'm just a latecomer to the RPG genre, which I started in the late 90's with Diablo

I wasn't bragging about my experience. I just stated that I began playing RPGs with Diablo in the late 90's. That was my first RPG ever. So what? :lol:

The first book you ever read was probably some easy children's book you read when you were 5 or something. HURR POPAMOLE DECLINE YOU CANNOT BE A TRUE FAN OF BOOKS IF YOU STARTED WITH SUCH A SIMPLE BOOK

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
St. Toxic said:
But the mobs are hidden, you have to explore the dungeons to find them. :/
So every cRPG is popamole than? No, wait. Every game is popamole? Because you have to explore the enviroments to find people and enemies.

Mortmal

Arcane
J_C said:
St. Toxic said:
But the mobs are hidden, you have to explore the dungeons to find them. :/
So every cRPG is popamole than? No, wait. Every game is popamole? Because you have to explore the enviroments to find people and enemies.

Ah yes but once you discover thme do they re- hide ? We spent months, years even trying to define what can change the nature of a man and what a rpg is , but thanks to blackcat we finally reached the enlightment.
The only valid question from now on to define a rpg.
DO THE MOLE HIDE ??!?

Educated
JarlFrank said:
I wasn't bragging about my experience. I just stated that I began playing RPGs with Diablo in the late 90's. That was my first RPG ever. So what? :lol:
Nothing at all, exept that I can't even imagine a game that is more anti elitist than Diablo. It's truly a product for the masses :)

Educated
JarlFrank said:
The first book you ever read was probably some easy children's book you read when you were 5 or something. HURR POPAMOLE DECLINE YOU CANNOT BE A TRUE FAN OF BOOKS IF YOU STARTED WITH SUCH A SIMPLE BOOK
And btw, your irony is misdirected, because I see absolutely nothing wrong with adults reading "easy" books. You are an elitist, not I :obviously:

LoPan

Learned
314159 said:
JarlFrank said:
And btw, your irony is misdirected, because I see absolutely nothing wrong with adults reading "easy" books. You are an elitist, not I :obviously:

The fucks an 'easy' book? Is reading a skill now?

jancobblepot

Educated
!

LoPan said:
314159 said:
JarlFrank said:

darklands2.png

:smug:

DraQ

Arcane
I consider JF's perspective more valid, actually (then again, it's similar to my own) - instead of experiencing games in chronological perspective he got to play old and new stuff side-by-side, often playing the old after the new. It allows for much less bias and doesn't involve nostalgia.

If you see a grandpa talking about how rotten modern day is and how awesome his own youth was despite you knowing for a fact that he lived under German occupation, people were caught and shot routinely, he was more often starving than not and half of his then peers died of tuberculosis, you have good reason to consider his view of the past a wee bit rose-tinted.
Same with old games.

If, however someone takes an oldie for the first time right after playing The Elder Age 7 figures out user unfriendly interface and gameplay, sees through pixelized, 8-bit graphics and exclaims "Holy fuck! It's so much better than anything I've ever played!" you *know* that it's not nostalgia, but the game was actually compared, side by side with the very best today's market has to offer AND won.

St. Toxic said:
So, wait, Diablo isn't popamole?
No, it's chopademon - a completely different genre in terms of mechanics, though only slightly more involved intellectually.
:obviously:

Mastermind said:
Turjan said:
What if you like both, Morrowind and Arcanum?

You mod Arcanum's character system into Morrowind. Then you can become the second coming of Chris.
Fixed.
:mca:

Xi

Arcane
When people like something, attacking it (criticizing it) is psychologically no different than criticizing the person directly. So, merely pointing out the faults in something, the RPGCodex way, is not actually a good method for getting someone to see why their current taste may not be as good as they once thought. It's similar to in/out-group phenomenon. Once you identify with a group (or a product - such as Skyrim), you're less likely to change your opinion of it based on facts, criticism, or any other method alone.

Change has to come from within. The person must notice that something is not quite right about their taste, and then start pursuing information about their new found ideal (like people on the Codex did at one point). Otherwise, nothing becomes of it.

After all, one need not justify their taste. "I just like it" is actually a reasonable stance, philosophically. /shrug

Luzur

Good Sir
Re: !

jancobblepot said:
LoPan said:
314159 said:
JarlFrank said:

darklands2.png

:smug:

back in those days, it was a very rare skill indeed.

crufty

Arcane
Consider the power rangers.

Fact is, mighty morphin power rangers has got to pure :decline:

But, from the perspective of a five year old...a five year old, his or her life is totally controlled and scripted.

In the power rangers, there are four or five, not sure, dudes who do Kung fu, beat up giant monsters, drive vehicles that combine into robots, and in general can do whatever they want. The attraction to them is short lived, but it's there because power rangers slip thru the radar...They look like they are part of the normal five year old script, but the reality is these guys are the ulitimate pre-k warrior fantasy. they are completely subervisive, and like any repressed people's, the pre-k set laps it up like a parched man to water.

Where I am going with this, is if you tell a five year old: mighty morphin power rangers suck dick--the show is pure rubbish, and the toys are cheap and unimaginative, compared to my experiences which require you to be age eight or older... while you are right, the five yr old is left with no alternative. What can you give them? Nothing. So your opinion is completely discounted, and they feel bad about themselves.

And for the resident sorceress, "whack a mole" games are pure reflex based, no thinking required..and diablo is also pure....

ThunderHorse

Novice
Vibalist said:
understand how shitty Bioware and Bethesda games are? How come the rest of the world are all in agreement that their games are awesome?

Could it be that we're the real idiots, not them?

:o
Well..Skyrim is a good game, yet people here had already decided to hate it before it was released, so maybe the codex is actually a commune of elitist imbeciles destined for mass kool aid suicide.

jancobblepot

Educated
Re: !

Luzur said:
back in those days, it was a very rare skill indeed.

Today it's a much more common skill... And it is still a skill.

I think I need some practice *disappears*

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
LoPan said:

Of course reading is a skill. The ability to extract theme and meaning from text varies widely, and only gets better by reading sufficiently challenging books. Go read a treatise on logic by Aristotle or Kant, and see if your average fantasy novel doesn't look "easy" in comparison.

LittleJoe

Arbiter
ScottishMartialArts said:
LoPan said:

Of course reading is a skill. The ability to extract theme and meaning from text varies widely, and only gets better by reading sufficiently challenging books. Go read a treatise on logic by Aristotle or Kant, and see if your average fantasy novel doesn't look "easy" in comparison.

There is a difference between reading and understanding.
I've read 10,000 books, but I know nothing.

DraQ

Arcane
crufty said:
And for the resident sorceress, "whack a mole" games are pure reflex based, no thinking required..and diablo is also pure....
I wouldn't say it's pure anything.

Sure, for most part it's completely mindless entertainment, but sometimes you do get to think, especially when, for example, you fuck up trying to kill Butcher with firewall scrolls and only have one scroll left, barely any money and Butcher is right by his cell's door, too close for standard trap-the-Butcher manoeuvre.

In any case it pops popamole's mole.

ThunderHorse said:
Well..Skyrim is a good game, yet people here had already decided to hate it before it was released, so maybe the codex is actually a commune of elitist imbeciles destined for mass kool aid suicide.
You seem to have missed quite a few "guise I think Skyrim is p. good, actually :oops: " posts. From quite prominent members too. Maybe you should re-evaluate who's an elitist imbecile here?

I'm not saying it's good, because I haven't played it myself, and expecting it to be the turdiest of turds was certainly a reasonable stance based on oblivious, but you can clearly see codex discarding it's preconceptions right before your eyes.

Telengard

Arcane
Quality and popularity are separate attributes (figured I'd put it in a way RPGers would understand). Something can be one of those, can be neither, and can be both at the same time.

You can get a short-term boost in popularity (and thus sales) by putting a sexy, heavy-titted woman on the cover of your game box, but doing so doesn't change the quality of what's inside the box. Nor does it make the cover of your box better. Instead, it gives your box a different kind of appeal.

Likewise, you can increase the appeal of a game by adding lots of gay elf sex, but doing so in no way increases the quality of said game.

But the decline of games wasn't just a decline of quality, it was also a decline of diversity. Look at all the genres of games that used to be made. There's only about a dozen left now, and some of those are on their last legs.

(Though to hear Marketing tell it, there's only two genres these days. FPS - the top-dog bestest genre evaw. And RPG - every other game.)

And take a look closer look at what genres went down - anything requiring even a modicum of intelligence or skill.

Also shouldn't forget that part of the decline was the switch-over to big box stores and massive mall chain stores, both with high rents that drove a move to higher shelf-rental costs for ever-shorter shelf time, mixed with a demand for a steep drop-off in list-price for anything that didn't sell in massive quantities. In that climate, small companies couldn't afford to get their games in stores on their own, so they signed up with huge marketing companies in order just to pay for shelf space for a reasonable amount of time. Which was, of course, a deal with the devil.

DraQ

Arcane
Telengard said:
Quality and popularity are separate attributes (figured I'd put it in a way RPGers would understand). Something can be one of those, can be neither, and can be both at the same time.

You can get a short-term boost in popularity (and thus sales) by putting a sexy, heavy-titted woman on the cover of your game box, but doing so doesn't change the quality of what's inside the box. Nor does it make the cover of your box better. Instead, it gives your box a different kind of appeal.

Likewise, you can increase the appeal of a game by adding lots of gay elf sex, but doing so in no way increases the quality of said game.

But the decline of games wasn't just a decline of quality, it was also a decline of diversity. Look at all the genres of games that used to be made. There's only about a dozen left now, and some of those are on their last legs.

(Though to hear Marketing tell it, there's only two genres these days. FPS - the top-dog bestest genre evaw. And RPG - every other game.)

And take a look closer look at what genres went down - anything requiring even a modicum of intelligence or skill.

Also shouldn't forget that part of the decline was the switch-over to big box stores and massive mall chain stores, both with high rents that drove a move to higher shelf-rental costs for ever-shorter shelf time, mixed with a demand for a steep drop-off in list-price for anything that didn't sell in massive quantities. In that climate, small companies couldn't afford to get their games in stores on their own, so they signed up with huge marketing companies in order just to pay for shelf space for a reasonable amount of time. Which was, of course, a deal with the devil.
You do know you're preaching to the choir, right?
:rpgcodex:

ThunderHorse

Novice
ThunderHorse said:
You seem to have missed quite a few "guise I think Skyrim is p. good, actually :oops: " posts. From quite prominent members too. Maybe you should re-evaluate who's an elitist imbecile here?

I'm not saying it's good, because I haven't played it myself, and expecting it to be the turdiest of turds was certainly a reasonable stance based on oblivious, but you can clearly see codex discarding it's preconceptions right before your eyes.[/quote]

Then apparently they weren't the ones I was typing about since their minds weren't made up to hate it. There are, however, many elitist imeciles here who hate Bethesda and anything they release automatically. No re evaluation needed. They're still the imbeciles.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
ThunderHorse said:
ThunderHorse said:

I'm not saying it's good, because I haven't played it myself, and expecting it to be the turdiest of turds was certainly a reasonable stance based on oblivious, but you can clearly see codex discarding it's preconceptions right before your eyes.

Then apparently they weren't the ones I was typing about since their minds weren't made up to hate it. There are, however, many elitist imeciles here who hate Bethesda and anything they release automatically. No re evaluation needed. They're still the imbeciles.[/quote]

:lol: Man arguing with himself over Game Fiction... Only in mind of Pelagius III and :rpgcodex: :love:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
ThunderHorse said:
Vibalist said:
understand how shitty Bioware and Bethesda games are? How come the rest of the world are all in agreement that their games are awesome?

Could it be that we're the real idiots, not them?

:o
It's alright. I myself tried to fight against the hivemind of the Codex, when I first came here. Now I'm one of them. Accept your fate and do the same.

crufty

Arcane
DraQ said:
crufty said:
I wouldn't say it's pure anything.

Sure, for most part it's completely mindless entertainment, but sometimes you do get to think, especially when, for example, you fuck up trying to kill Butcher with firewall scrolls and only have one scroll left, barely any money and Butcher is right by his cell's door, too close for standard trap-the-Butcher manoeuvre.

In any case it pops popamole's mole.

You are right of course. It's not pure popamole and anyone who likes the procedural nature of roguelikes can't hate on diablo that much, real time click fest and all.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Quality thread, top kek.

RPG discussion on the Codex became a joke when peer pressure from the "hardcore" people actually started to have an effect on people, ie: Alpha Protocol is kosher, we can discuss it because it's Obsidian, but heaven forbid somebody praise DA:O, a much more superior game to Alpha Protocol - because Bioware made it and everybody knows that they are popamole consoletards.

Another hilarious display of hypocrisy was witnessing the FO3 hate-machine which had been going on for over a year come to a grinding halt once the crazed masses realized it wasn't such a bad game - of course it only took most Codexers a couple of months to finally admit this.

And the cycle never ends...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom