Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A Fresh Discussion on The Black Hound

MCA
Cynic said:
villain of the story said:
I'm just so craving for a deeply tactical and low level RPG campaign.

ToEE!!!!

Already played and other than combat, it isn't exactly what I would've wished for. I've yet to play KOTC, though.

.Sigurd

Educated
An image to illustrate the topic:

2ccm8w8.jpg

Mister Arkham

Scholar
.Sigurd said:
An image to illustrate the topic:

2ccm8w8.jpg

Black Isle always did have some pretty crack conceptual artists. It would have been amazing to see a cover like this on the shelves.

And, oh god, did this game ever sound sharp. The idea of doing a closely linked trilogy with a low level cap and a focus on story...well, if Obsidian were to get the rights I suppose they could do them as lower budget, digitally distributed titles. It's not like they don't have a proprietary engine now, and who knows? Maybe it could have taken off.

SkyrimSucks

Novice
It does sound amazing. Keep in mind though, at that time Bioware were known for their story based games while BI were known for hack and slash games like IWD.

I would much rather they produce a fully turnbased rpg though than RTwP.

Coyote

Arcane
May Farrow and her gang of raiders have spent weeks tracking down the black hound, the essence of May's guilt for unleashing a great evil. The player character is resting by the firelight in an old barn to hide from the storm outside when a black hound arrives and after being shot twice by an arrow, it cries one last time before it dies on the player lap. May almost kills the player, accusing him of being in league with the dog (meaning she thinks your another essence of her guilt) and almost kills you before the Riders of Archendale save you. They question you, take you to the magistrate, who question you further and inform you not to leave the areas of North Sembia, Archendale, Battledale and Deepingdale. Whenever the player then approaches somebody with great guilt, the black hound appears to him and eventually the players actions make the player the essence of guilt throughout the four areas mentioned above. As the player unravels more secrets, he learns that he cant kill guilt, thus he cannot kill the black hound or what he has become (the player can physically die, but people wont forget about the player did). Eventually he learns the tale of a widowed farmer's wife, taking great guilt in her husbands death as for some reason she believes its her fault, she tries to resurrect him. She succeeds but finds him to be an abomination and cannot stop him, despite him being very weak at the time. Through the course of the game, the farmer is growing stronger and stronger of the guilt absorbed by the black hound through the player. The player learns of this wife being May Farrow, who believes killing the hound would be a way to stop the farmer, the hound however latched its soul onto the player and uses him as a guilt tunnel.

Damn... that sounds like it would have been pretty interesting, especially compared to the basic premise of most recent RPGs (DRAGONFEST 2011: NOW WITH MORE DRAGONS (AND ROMANCE!)).

SkyrimSucks

Novice
Uhm, honestly if that was the story of the black hound then maybe it's a good thing it was cancelled. I mean honestly, guilt? And a ressurecting black dog? WTF?

Gimme a story about a demon lord invading the realms and the players have to stop him anyday.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
SkyrimSucks said:
Uhm, honestly if that was the story of the black hound then maybe it's a good thing it was cancelled. I mean honestly, guilt? And a ressurecting black dog? WTF?

Gimme a story about a demon lord invading the realms and the players have to stop him anyday.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Surf Solar said:
SkyrimSucks said:

shitty and obvious trolls?

Shannow

Waster of Time
Hobo Elf said:
Surf Solar said:
SkyrimSucks said:

I agree with aunthairy. The story (at least in its slightly butchered summary) sounds stupid and a plain old "stop *insert ominous threat*" would have been preferable. It'll never be made, so why care? *shrug*

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Mister Arkham said:
Black Isle always did have some pretty crack conceptual artists. It would have been amazing to see a cover like this on the shelves.

Its a shame we lost Vance Kovacs (who did this concept) and Justin Sweet to MMORPGS (Last project for both of em was Rift). Sadly Obsidians Art team isn't that up to par (even though the Art team has probably the most Black Isle folks)

Then again, I really like Justin Cherrys work too at Troika and Obsidian. (Though its a different style)

warofthewolves.jpg
[/img]

Coyote

Arcane
Shannow said:
I agree with aunthairy. The story (at least in its slightly butchered summary) sounds stupid and a plain old "stop *insert ominous threat*" would have been preferable. It'll never be made, so why care? *shrug*

Well, keeping in mind that it is a slightly butchered summary, the image that came to mind when I thought about it being more fleshed out was something along the lines of MotB with a more generic setting (but, OTOH, minus epic levels. And hopefully without the cumbersome aspects of NWN2's controls as well). But perhaps that's being too optimistic. Or pessimistic since, as you say, it'll never be made.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Shannow said:
Hobo Elf said:
Surf Solar said:
SkyrimSucks said:

No it wouldn't. It is never preferable unless you are an unimaginative fuck who likes Bioware games. You like Bioware games, son?

deuxhero

Arcane
Cynic said:
Obsidian really need to get the D&D license...

Eh, they'd be forced to use the 4E rules (and RTWP crap)

Now Pathfinder would be interesting...

Pure turn based E6 PF would be VERY intresting.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Hobo Elf said:
No it wouldn't. It is never preferable unless you are an unimaginative fuck who likes Bioware games. You like Bioware games, son?
I liked BG1,2 and HotU. And I prefer plain stories to nonsensical, stupid stories. Problem, kid? :smug:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Shannow said:
Hobo Elf said:
I liked BG1,2 and HotU. And I prefer plain stories to nonsensical, stupid stories. Problem, kid? :smug:

I rest my case. The faggot bus will stop by shortly to pick you up. Tell Hamburger Helper I said hi. :smug:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Hobo Elf said:
Shannow said:
Hobo Elf said:

I rest my case. The faggot bus will stop by shortly to pick you up. Tell Hamburger Helper I said hi. :smug:
:lol: :salute:

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Coyote said:
May Farrow and her gang of raiders have spent weeks tracking down the black hound, the essence of May's guilt for unleashing a great evil. The player character is resting by the firelight in an old barn to hide from the storm outside when a black hound arrives and after being shot twice by an arrow, it cries one last time before it dies on the player lap. May almost kills the player, accusing him of being in league with the dog (meaning she thinks your another essence of her guilt) and almost kills you before the Riders of Archendale save you. They question you, take you to the magistrate, who question you further and inform you not to leave the areas of North Sembia, Archendale, Battledale and Deepingdale. Whenever the player then approaches somebody with great guilt, the black hound appears to him and eventually the players actions make the player the essence of guilt throughout the four areas mentioned above. As the player unravels more secrets, he learns that he cant kill guilt, thus he cannot kill the black hound or what he has become (the player can physically die, but people wont forget about the player did). Eventually he learns the tale of a widowed farmer's wife, taking great guilt in her husbands death as for some reason she believes its her fault, she tries to resurrect him. She succeeds but finds him to be an abomination and cannot stop him, despite him being very weak at the time. Through the course of the game, the farmer is growing stronger and stronger of the guilt absorbed by the black hound through the player. The player learns of this wife being May Farrow, who believes killing the hound would be a way to stop the farmer, the hound however latched its soul onto the player and uses him as a guilt tunnel.

Damn... that sounds like it would have been pretty interesting, especially compared to the basic premise of most recent RPGs (DRAGONFEST 2011: NOW WITH MORE DRAGONS (AND ROMANCE!)).

It sounds very MotB-esque. Could have been interesting and, whatever the "OMG EVERYTHING BUT GENERIC DOGFUCKWADDERY IS PRETENTIOUS" crowd might say, far more preferable than everything Bioware's put out.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I wonder if it was the other way around -- if MotB was derivative of this story somehow. I admit I don't know much about the inspiration behind MotB's story architecture but there are some striking similarities there.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Crispy said:
I wonder if it was the other way around -- if MotB was derivative of this story somehow. I admit I don't know much about the inspiration behind MotB's story architecture but there are some striking similarities there.

I wouldn't doubt it. Obsidian has always been... iterative with their stories. Lots of common points between PS:T, KotOR2 and MotB as well, come to that. Beats reiterating Biowarean plotlines, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom