Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

~

• Thread starter Deleted member 11480
  • Start date

Deleted member 11480

-

Last edited by a moderator:

Renegen

Arcane
It's a great game, the cramped first person train perspective really succeeds in immersing you and making you feel like you really are on that train. The characters are great and so is the C&C. I even love the fact that every single nationality is on that train, each with their own intrigue. I was reading a newspaper when all of a sudden a major plot point happened! Absolutely nothing happened except the passage of time. What can I say, you forget that it's a video game.

Redshirt #42

Augur
I'd say that The Last Express is the most underappreciated game ever. It deserved so much more.

DakaSha

Arcane
ok getting it now fags
I remeber reading bout it when it came out but i just wasnt interested in the setting as a kid.
Now im older and smarter and must give it a try

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Cinematic done right.

A bit stereotyped with the archetypes, but that's fine, a homage really.

It's also pretty hard as a adventure, as all real time adventures.
(KGB, Titanic, Dust, some Dynamix games are others, though there are more).

If you want to pull your hair off, try KGB next.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
graphicswhore detected.

As for the OP, love the description and passion for the game, must say I never tried it. Maybe read up on a LP - do we have one ?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
BTW, there's a last express engine in scummvm now.

Coyote

Arcane
Fuck yeah! The Last Express is amazing.

I keep listening to the end credits music ever since someone linked to it on another site a few weeks back. It's one of my favorite credits sequences in a game - between the music (which combines motifs from most of the other themes on the soundtrack) and the background, it's a very poignant and fitting ending to the game. Wish I could find somewhere that has the full song (with the extra 10-second lead-in you can hear here. Possibly a spoiler, I guess), though. I tried to make one myself with a couple of video capture programs, but I can't get them to play the sound in the game.

Much thanks to SCO for helping me to get it running without CDs, BTW.

Spellcaster:

Have you seen the easter egg scene where the attendant at the end of the hallway juggles his head? I think you get it either by staying in Tyler's room the entire first evening as soon as you get on the train or ringing for him 3-4 times during the dream sequence.

Castanova

Prophet
Honestly, I wanted to like the game but when I developed severe carpal tunnel syndrome just from playing the game for like 2 hours I had to give it a rest. I mean, I've never had to click more in my life. I feel like you have more APM playing this game then Boxer did playing Starcraft.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
This game has been on my to play list ever since I saw the avatars in the RPGCodex gallery. I had never even heard of it before then, but I was immediately drawn towards it by the art style.

Why can't more "animated" games look like this instead of the usual cel shading?

Coyote

Arcane
Spellcaster said:
Played Titanic and Dust before, but not KGB. Will do :salute:

KGB is pretty good, I just started playing it the other day. It's got nice, tough puzzles, a good sense of humor, and a surprising amount of (seemingly?) optional content for an adventure game. Haven't ever played Dust; will have to look into it.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Aldebaran said:
This game has been on my to play list ever since I saw the avatars in the RPGCodex gallery. I had never even heard of it before then, but I was immediately drawn towards it by the art style.

Why can't more "animated" games look like this instead of the usual cel shading?

Because it's not animated. Those are real actors cell-shaded in.

It still feels more like a game than a movie, since it has the first person thing (that only a few, artsy movies try), a stop motion way of denoting movement -very unlike a movie - some people say this is bad, those people are dumbfucks. It's even immersive, on a dream-logic way.

It actually looks like a dynamic comics book.

But the real reason it is more like a game is conceptual - the whole train passengers have schedules. And although you can only modify their course on a few well chosen points, they all acknowledge you are there, have conversations etc.

It's a very old "cinematic" adventure game idea (laura bow 1), brilliantly updated.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
It's not without its problems. For example, you can find an object with an inscription in a foreign language, and there is a person on the train who knows the language - but it seems you only have one chance to ask about this and then it's impossible even though you keep bumping into this person. This is the reason I ragequit my last playthrough.

Redshirt #42

Augur
Coyote said:
Have you seen the easter egg scene where the attendant at the end of the hallway juggles his head? I think you get it either by staying in Tyler's room the entire first evening as soon as you get on the train or ringing for him 3-4 times during the dream sequence.
This one, right?

eastereggjuggle.gif

You get it by ringing three times.
Also, this reminds me how dumb I was when I decided to upload my LP to imageshack, one of the worst hosting sites there is.

Erzherzog

Magister
Played the game due to this threads recommendation.

While I might not share the OP's gushing awe for the game, I did quite enjoy it.

The coolest thing is just to see all the influences and themes lead the plot along, and just the way some things are built upon as the game progresses...like how the game kinda parallels the fable.

Then, I read the publishing history behind the game. Which also parallels the fable. And now I'm sad.

Educated
Without all those retarded, obsucre puzzles it could've been a great interactive movie.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Well, it is true that if you just have bad luck you might lose on almost all the action in the game, the plot may just "happen" next to you and you won't even notice. Of course, one could say it's a good thing, but it makes for a frustrating game... it's similar to Pathologic in this respect.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Hardcore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom