Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Character designs that look cool without being stupid?

deuxhero

Arcane
When the average designer tries to make a character "cool" they fail by over designing it, adding pointless belts and what not. What are some characters that actually manages to look cool?

(if it wasn't obvious, the topic refers to design in the visual)

Raidou.jpg

Raidou Kuzunoha the Fourteenth I feel is a good example of a design that is both cool and believable. The basis of his outfit is a school uniform (a Taisho era uniform based on a military officer's garb, but a school uniform) with his strange tools hidden under a cloak. It is both visually unique, simple and practical.

SCS_Stalker_Suit.png

Stalker's Sunrise Suit (other armor also works, but isn't as great) is also interesting. It looks like exactly what you would expect for someone operating in a place like The Zone.

laclongquan

Arcane
That Brujah chica looks cool enough.

But spare me the dreadlocked leatherfaced look of Torment. Out of the whole game that is the least attractive aspect. I know it's necessary, but I just cant praise it as 'cool'.

that final image: hwat?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
She looks p. cool on the upper half.

The bottom, though...Belts, belts everywhere.

also, Roche. :thumbsup:

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Black_Willow said:

[/thread]

Say what you want about TW2, but I think, there's no company on the market that can rival CDPRed them in the field of art direction. (Talking about actual in-game character models; not concept art).

Mrowak said:
Black_Willow said:

[/thread]

Say what you want about TW2, but I think, there's no company on the market that can rival CDPRed them in the field of art direction. (Talking about actual in-game character models; not concept art).

WTF is up with those anchor chain necklaces tho?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I tend to prefer my characters to be nobility and at least partially inhuman. Ergo:

lenneth1.png

No bikini armor or giant sword or rainbow clusterfuck details. 2 main tones with a contrasting third for the trim, functional equipment, and she's a fucking god, so there's nothing really bizzare about hair colour or the fact that she's a warrior despite being a female with a slender build.

Alucard_-_CHD.png

Again, normal sized sword, outfit is expensive but not ridiculous clothing, overall style is suitable given the era he was born in. Hair is explainable by the fact that he isn't human.

Visually they're both easily memorable and identifiable. Lenneth's blue armor, the silver hair on both of them, Alucard's noble finery, none of it is stuff you see all over the place, like the generic battered armor overflowing with weapons or stupidly massive/spikey plate armor.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Not a single game character in this thread looks not retarded.

Apart from Garret but even he has that pitch black hood shadow.

The biggest facepalm is when some game features "Secret Police" and its employees just have to wear some cloths with gold and shit, trying their best to attract as much attention as possible.

TW2 ITT is a good example of retarded shit like that.

I wonder why people consider these characters "deep" and "unique" when if they were to meet them in reality they would have nothing but a strong urge to punch that kind of a dickhead in the face.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
MetalCraze said:
I wonder why people consider these characters "deep" and "unique" when if they were to meet them in reality they would have nothing but a strong urge to punch that kind of a dickhead in the face.

They're not deep and unique from a visual standpoint, which they shouldn't be anyway. They're just not retarded, as in, no chainmail bikinis, no spiky armour, no giant shoulder pads.

.Sigurd

Educated
MetalCraze said:
Not a single game character in this thread looks not retarded.

Apart from Garret but even he has that pitch black hood shadow.

The biggest facepalm is when some game features "Secret Police" and its employees just have to wear some cloths with gold and shit, trying their best to attract as much attention as possible.

TW2 ITT is a good example of retarded shit like that.

arma-2-22.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom