Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Broken Sword is fast losing its charm.

Black Cat

Magister
Dicksmoker said:
Yes, I saw that on GOG in addition to the original. Not sure which to get.

EDIT: Meh, think I'll go with the original.

Go with RealMyst. It is pretty much the same game only you move freely, get some cool weather effects, better graphics, and have an extra Age unique to it that reveals some bits of background on things that will happen later on the series, without actually spoiling them, and has one or two extra puzzles too.

Coyote

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
Coyote said:
1) You mentioned being something of a storyfag, so would you be interested in adventure games with good stories but fairly weak puzzles if they were less cartoony/more realistic than BS?
I suppose so. But like I said, the standards need to be pretty high storywise for me to elevate that above other elements. Think PST, Xenogears, Deus Ex, etc. to get the basic idea. And in those examples, the gameplay was also good.

I'm hesitant to recommend any game based on its story alone, in that case. That said, some games which may come close and have other qualities that may make up the difference:

• Grim Fandango. I wouldn't say that it excels as far as plot goes (especially since, as is the case for many of the LucasArts games, I feel that it gets weaker near the end), but it has a great atmosphere and setting and the main characters are effective at the archetypes they're supposed to represent. I might be biased, though, as I've always been a big fan of both Mexican Day of the Dead culture and film noir, two things that had a major influence on the style of the game. It also has slightly above-average puzzles overall IMO, with a few good tough ones here and there.
  • The Last Express. This is the main one I was thinking of with regard to a great story but weak puzzles (and very few of them to boot). It's not a good story in the same way Planescape is - in fact, if I were to try to summarize the story, it would probably sound quite generic. But it's excellently executed and manages to be one of my favorite adventure games from a storyfag perspective nonetheless. It also has some interesting features distinguishing it from most other adventure games that help to make up for the lack of strong puzzles, which I think were discussed in more detail in one of the threads I linked earlier.
  • Blade Runner. If you liked the movie, you'll probably like this, as it follows a similar story that explores the same sort of themes. It's also got some pretty decent puzzles and a fair amount of C&C, as well as an element of randomness that makes each playthrough a bit different (I think the order in which you complete various tasks also has an effect).
  • Possibly Sanitarium, which kind of falls apart but is worth it for the first half of the game alone. I wouldn't describe it as the Planescape: Torment of adventures like you mentioned earlier, but I can see why someone would. It's got a lot of little similarities, both in terms of superficial elements like the perspective, movement, and graphics, and other elements like the bizarre settings and concepts it explores. The puzzles fairly easy, though.

Other possibilities: The Longest Journey and the Syberia series; I find these games good, solid adventures overall, though overrated in terms of story.

Would you prefer a game with a good story and average puzzles or an average story and tough but logical puzzles?
The latter.

Sceptic and Black Cat have got the right idea, then; all of the games they've mentioned that I've played have good-to-great puzzles, many because they force you to explore and try to understand alien environments without giving you much to go on but your own observations about the world around you (pretty much what Black Cat said). One game in this vein that I don't think either of them have mentioned is Zork Nemesis, which has great atmosphere in addition to some nice puzzles.

For some more story-centric games that still have good puzzles IMO: the first Gabriel Knight game, Sins of the Fathers, has a few truly great, difficult puzzles; sadly, the later games in the series take the difficulty from "tough-but-fair" to "artificially tough", in that they require the player to take rather absurd actions to solve some of the puzzles. I've just started playing KGB, so I can't vouch for it entirely, but based on what I've played so far, it has some very good puzzles, as well as a lot of optional content. Also, I actually got quite stumped on some of the puzzles in the third chapter of Curse of Monkey Island, but YMMV; I seem to be in the minority among adventure fans in considering it just as good as or even better than the first two MIs.

There are a few more, but they include the deal-breaker you mention later in your post.

Also, I agree with Sceptic about Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive. It has storyfag elements but also some of the better puzzles I've encountered in an adventure, so I wouldn't classify it as a pure storyfag game.

For the record, I thought Psychonauts was a funny game. If that's example of "cartoony done right" then I guess so. And I suppose it is. I guess the deal with that game is it's funny precisely because it goes for wacky over-the-top things as opposed to stupid cliches (i.e. the dumb American (George), the bumbling museum guard, the stuck up English bitch, etc.).

You might like some of the LucasArts games, then. Tim Schafer, one of the lead designers and writers for Psychonauts, was also involved in the design and writing of several of them, including the first two Monkey Islands, Maniac Mansion and its sequel, Day of the Tentacle (from which you can play the original Maniac Mansion in its entirety via an in-game Easter egg, incidentally), Full Throttle, and Grim Fandango. FT and GF have less of a focus on humor and more serious stories than the previous ones, but still have their share of amusing lines. Among LucasArts's better games are also Sam and Max Hit the Road (whose humor is largely based on American culture in the late 80s/early 90s) and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (which has a more serious story), although Schafer played no role in those. Both Sam and Max and Day of the Tentacle have a sizable portion of cliched/stereotypical characters, but I found them to be played off in a much more amusing way than the Broken Sword game I played.

Oh, and avoid Escape from Monkey Island (the fourth MI game) or at least give the previous games a chance first, as it messes up a lot of the things that they did well without improving anything in return. (For instance, the main character goes from being a slightly oblivious, bumbling pirate/pirate wannabe to a complete moron, losing a lot of his personality and humor in the process.)

Zork Grand Inquisitor is another humor-oriented game that I'd rate as average or higher in all categories - good humor, good atmosphere, good puzzles (though on the easy side, there's a nice variety compared to most games Black Cat described as being inventory puzzle-based), decent enough plot.

4) In terms of puzzles, would it bother you if you couldn't finish the game because you missed something early on in the game and couldn't go back to get it without starting over?
Now that's a deal-breaker. Not only would I hate that as a gamer, but I am fundamentally opposed to it on principle. So no. Just no. I wouldn't touch a game like with a ten-foot pole.

You'll probably want to avoid most of the early Sierra adventure games, then. Most of them have this to some extent. I'm not sure when they stopped, but I think it's minimal (as in, you might have to reload an earlier save, but never more than an hour earlier) in most of their games released since around the time of King's Quest VI. It's even less of an issue in the Gabriel Knights, where I'm pretty sure that you can't advance the storyline unless you have everything that you'll need later, and I don't remember it ever coming up in the Quest for Glory series either. Some Infocom games did this as well, though I think they stopped the practice entirely around the time they switched to graphical games (it might still be present in Return to Zork, not sure). I'm 90+ percent certain that this can't happen in Zork Nemesis and Zork Grand Inquisitor.

BTW, Sceptic:

Sceptic said:
I'm tempted to throw in some of Infocom's toughies (Hitchhiker, Bureaucracy, Spellbreaker, and the best and one of my favorite games in any genre, Trinity), but as an introduction to the genre they'll probably make you rage.

Don't some of these violate the deal-breaker he mentioned pretty hard? I'm not asking that rhetorically; it's been at least a decade since I played most of them, and I can't remember. But I could have sworn that Hitchhiker, in particular, was infamous for easy-to-miss, vital items appearing early in the game.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Do they do anything equivalent for the Myst sequels?

If not it would be weird going from full fps in the first Myst back to static screens in Riven.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Dicksmoker said:
Do they do anything equivalent for the Myst sequels?

If not it would be weird going from full fps in the first Myst back to static screens in Riven.

There is no 3D remake of Riven. I would cum in my pants if they did though.

As for it being "jarring" from going from full 3D back to the standard Myst point and click, I guess it's up to the individual. It didn't bother me.

If you are going to play Myst and Riven, don't be a huge gigantic faggot and use a walk-through. Seriously, play it and if you are stuck on something, turn it off and go play something else.

ALL of the puzzles are 100% logical. Not like Monkey Island's ^%$@#&*^ Monkey Wrench for example.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Coyote said:
Don't some of these violate the deal-breaker he mentioned pretty hard?
It does, and it's good your pointed it out because I hadn't noticed his dealbreaker mention (though I kinda guessed they would not be well received, hence my comment about raging. Hell I have no opposition to this thing just on principle and some of the dead ends still make me rage)

Great post btw, agree with pretty much everything you said :thumbsup: especially with GK1 as a recommendation. Sam & Max is another one of my favorites thanks to excellent puzzles.

Also, pretty sure QFG's are almost entirely free of Sierra dead ends, the few cases are usually due to ignoring very specific warnings (like going into bandit fortress in 1 without a certain potion), but there is at least ONE nasty dead end in QFG3, though only if you're playing a Paladin/Fighter: you can get to the Lost City and not have the key item to get in. Never happened to me, but it is possible.

random_encounter

Educated
Dicksmoker said:
Hey guys.

This is what GOG categorizes as the "puzzle adventures":

http://www.gog.com/en/catalogue#all_gen ... ch/puzzle/

I think a few haven't been talked about. Thoughts on any of those games?

Journeyman Project 2 is a pretty fun adventure game, especially if you like history-based stuff. It's got a good sidekick, decent puzzles, and a nice story behind it. It's also pretty liberal in killing you or failing the game when you least expect it for added worry. Walking down out of a Mayan temple in the past while wearing your time suit destroys the timeline, for example, when they declare you a god.

The Little Big Adventure games are also good, though they're nothing like Journeyman or Broken Sword. They're more action oriented, real time puzzlers than point 'n click titles.

Played through the first Atlantis and that was enough. Nice graphics for the time, but not much else.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Sceptic said:
I'm not sure which text adventures to recommend, TBH. I'm tempted to throw in some of Infocom's toughies (Hitchhiker, Bureaucracy, Spellbreaker, and the best and one of my favorite games in any genre, Trinity), but as an introduction to the genre they'll probably make you rage. The Zork trilogy is good as they're quite heavily on the puzzle side of the spectrum, but they're also their first games and so the parser isn't as robust as their later games.

Wishbringer is a great introduction to Infocom games.

random_encounter

Educated
Dicksmoker said:
Were the puzzles shitty?
For Atlantis? Been years since I played it when it first came out, but I remember that some of the puzzle solutions were so bizarre they likely would have been better solved under the influence of LSD. I think I solved those just by throwing objects at them rather than thinking them through.

The interface is also not the best thing in the world and can actually get in the way of solving stuff. And if you're a fan of Plato's Atlantis, Cryo fucked that up.

aries202

Erudite
There are adventure games out there that have puzzles in them, and a lot of them. Games like Schism, Scratches, and this game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkness_W ... ath_Nolder

Acccording to the wiki:

"It takes place in an imaginary "Lovecraftian" place called Wellsmoth. It is the first in an expected series of three games."

All three games are out now and can be bought packaged together e.g. all three games in one package.

However, these are more puzzle games than story games.

If you want story games that have puzzles in them, you might try games like Overclocked, Nostradamus, Secrets of Da Vinci, the Art of Murder Games or the newest Sherlock Holmes games. Speaking of Sherlock Holmes and games, Frogwares is making a new adventure game starring Watson and Sherlock Holmes, called 'the testament of sherlock holmes.'

So adventure games are not quite dead yet. Certainly not in Germany whihc sees many adventure games released each year, it seems.

Have you thought of the Space Quest games where you play as a space janitor....named.... Roger Wilco who in every takes out the the garbage in the galaxy just armed with his broom...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The Darkness Within series is awesome.

:love:

It's not perfect by any means, but the overall game experience is excellent.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
re: text adventures:

GOG is selling the Zork Anthology. Thinking about trying those first. Good idea? I only have two requirements:

1) They don't violate the deal-breaker already discussed.

2) They have a save system or reasonable checkpoints. No ironman BS.

I'm focusing on GOG right now since it's more convenient. My next point-and-click will most probably be Myst. Runners up are Sanitarium and The Last Express.

By the way, I just played that chess "puzzle" in Broken Sword. Shit was easy as fuck.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
The Zork trilogy are deal-breakers, as they have dead ends. I'm almost certain Beyond also does. I don't remember if Return did. I think Nemesis and GI didn't, but they're not included in this pack. Nemesis and GI are also better games than Return, so if GOG has them I think you should go for them instead. Also, Wishbringer was mentioned and is a pretty good introduction to Infocom games as it lacks the artificial difficulty of most of the others.

BTW Dicksmoker, just about every single text adventure has a regular save-anytime system. Ironman BS is NOT a feature of text games. I don't know why you have this impression, if it's because of the Codex game then this was an exception (and an understandable one considering the extra work a save system would've required for what's basically an easter egg)

Did anyone mention the Goblins games? These are heavily puzzle-based, are cartoony as hell (hilariously so, if that's not a turn-off for you), have pretty tough puzzles but IIRC no way to get into dead ends (or if there is it's no big deal because each "screen" is a self-contained puzzle, so at worst you just restart that area, never the whole game). GOG have the trilogy for $6, a price that's hard to beat. Though it includes the hintbooks, which you really should try not to look at.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Yeah that's the list I was looking through when I thought of Gobli(ii)ns. The only text adventures on there are the Zork Anthology (dead ends) and Personal Nightmare (IIRC the Horrorsoft one, don't remember much about it).

I can't get myself to tell you "go for the Zork anthology". The games (especially the initial trilogy) are not particularly fair, the parser is primitive by parser standards, and I worry that you'll buy them, try them, then be put off text adventures forever. You're probably better off taking the extra effort to either try Wishbringer, or otherwise some of the indie IFs, though for the latter it WILL be a pain to find the appropriate interpreter and get the whole thing running. Though I did find a link to Perdition's Flames with a Windows installer - this is a fun one, no dead ends, no nasty tricks, but reasonably challenging puzzles.

And finally you could try Timequest - awesome game, some good puzzles, very open-ended, has only one "gotcha" that you have to be weary of (and I don't think it stops you from winning, it just means you lack one potentially important piece of information, which you can always get from out-of-game). Works like a charm under DOSBox.

aries202

Erudite
In the Infocom text adventures Zork xxx the game is not playing fair. If you do not say light things in dark places, you'll be eaten by a grue.

In Zork: Nemesis which is a graphics (and very good, imo) adventure game, there is at one point a timed sequence, but it is doable - if you hurry. I also think that in Zork:Nemesis, you'll need to pick up everything and also do things in a somewhat particular order e.g. remember to take that screwdriver from that shelf because you'll need in after four slides or in the next chapter.

made

Arcane
Sceptic said:
Did anyone mention the Goblins games? These are heavily puzzle-based, are cartoony as hell (hilariously so, if that's not a turn-off for you), have pretty tough puzzles but IIRC no way to get into dead ends (or if there is it's no big deal because each "screen" is a self-contained puzzle, so at worst you just restart that area, never the whole game). GOG have the trilogy for $6, a price that's hard to beat. Though it includes the hintbooks, which you really should try not to look at.
Thanks for reminding me. I gotta replay those one of these days. They were hilariously funny. Apparently a 4th part came out in 2009, with lame 3d gfx.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Sceptic said:

The Goblins series is probably my favourite adventure game series. Second and third parts were absolutely brilliant, despite some people hatin' on the third one. Although I didn't play the first one much, and I feel I should correct this mistake.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
made said:
Apparently a 4th part came out in 2009, with lame 3d gfx.
I never did try that one. Maybe I should... as long as gameplay is similar to the oldies I don't care about the lame graphics.

Darth Roxor said:
some people hatin' on the third one.
Did they? I wonder why. I really like the third one. Puzzles were great fun (I have great memories of the Underworld map), music was awesome and the graphics/animation were fantastic.

Although I didn't play the first one much, and I feel I should correct this mistake.
You should.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Sceptic said:
Maybe I should... as long as gameplay is similar to the oldies I don't care about the lame graphics.

From what I've read/heard, it's kind of shit, though. Very half-arsed, mostly.

Did they? I wonder why.

Don't remember. I think it had something to do with only a single character to control (which is a LIE : x ) or someshit.

I really like the third one. Puzzles were great fun (I have great memories of the Underworld map), music was awesome and the graphics/animation were fantastic.

Yes on all accounts :thumbsup: The chess puzzle was particularly good, so was the one with the mirrored room.

Such a good game. Deserves a LP.

Hmmmmmmmmm

:smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom