Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Will you be purchasing TES V: Skyrim?

Will you be purchasing Skyrim?

• Yes; in fact I have it pre-ordered

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I will pick it up at release

• Yes, I'll eventually buy it, but no rush

• No, I have no interest in it at all

• No, but I will be sailing the Seven Seas to pillage its booty yargh!

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
epikitscheesy said:
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
Buying console games for the consoles, what's the problem here?
Double standards...like: a bad game is suddenly worth one's money and time when bought for the derper plattform. I present to you a brainwashed individual. :)

Heck no, no console game is worth their outrageous 70€ price tag. But if you're going to buy a console game, might as well buy it for a console?

Renegen

Arcane
I may sail the seven seas and capture its booty, except it's probable that the ship is too heavy to assault without wasting a lot of time, so I will wait for the rip, er... wait for a skeleton crew before assaulting.

Of course, before I do anything I'll want independent examiners to make sure the ship is indeed carrying gold, and not fool's gold.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
hay guise ill pirate Skyrim play it seven times and then post about how much it sucks

.Sigurd

Educated
No, I'll not buy it. But eventually I'll pirate it but stop halfway because I'll lost the interest in the game just like most of you guys.

epikitscheesy

Liturgist
epikitscheesy said:
Double standards...like: a bad game is suddenly worth one's money and time when bought for the derper plattform. I present to you a brainwashed individual. :)

Heck no, no console game is worth their outrageous 70€ price tag. But if you're going to buy a console game, might as well buy it for a console?
That's exactly the point, the plattform doesn't make any fucking difference, it's still a console game. And apparently, this one has been conditioned by the industry to like console shit on consoles, while in the sane parts of his mind, he dislikes it on the noble PC. Like I said, double standards.

Bruticis

commie said:
Bruticis said:
Not only did I pre-order the game, I pre-ordered the guide!

You need a guide to play a game with no puzzles and a quest compass?
No, I need a guide because it's sexy looking. I like collecting guides, great shit reading material.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I will not buy Skyrim, just I haven't bought its prequels, as none of the Elder Scrolls games interest me.

7hm

Scholar
epikitscheesy said:
epikitscheesy said:

That's exactly the point, the plattform doesn't make any fucking difference, it's still a console game. And apparently, this one has been conditioned by the industry to like console shit on consoles, while in the sane parts of his mind, he dislikes it on the noble PC. Like I said, double standards.

Correct, I choose to consume my entertainment in different ways across different platforms and in different situations. Do you not watch different movies at home than you would in theaters? Or read different books / magazines at different times of the year or in different settings?

Sometimes all I want to do is watch action movies or play action games. It doesn't always have to be foreign movies, underground screamo rap-metal and microbrews. Sometimes Die Hard and a Molson Ex are fun too.

When I want to turn off my head, I get off the computer and turn on the console. I buy games on the platform they are designed / best suited for. (You can mod Oblivion to be whatever you want. It's still a console game and your time is better spent doing something else or playing something better. Putting lipstick on a pig and all that...)

Sorry if you can't wrap your head around that.

edit: just in case the issue was the buying part of it... I have a job that pays me good money. I use that money to purchase things that I want. This is how the economy works, and I choose to participate in it. I'll pirate stuff now and again, but I'd rather pay for something if I can afford it. And luckily I can. I don't have a moral issue supporting companies that make video games I enjoy - assuming I enjoy Skyrim of course - and I'd say I got enough fun out of Oblivion that I'm willing to pony up 70$ for their next game. It's not like they'd be making epic open world blobbers if they weren't doing this. They'd be making COD18 or something.

And 70$? It's not nothing, but it's not all that much money.

Though this is the codex where people moan about lack of old school RPGs and then don't support indies that actually make said RPGs. So whatever.

bussinrounds

Augur
Fuck no. They should just ditch the RPG facade, make some good combat and possibly it could be a decent action game, but Beth never learn.

Wtf do they care though ? They just laughing all the way to the bank while all these LARPers buy this shit by the truckload.

DraQ

Arcane
7hm said:
epikitscheesy said:
epikitscheesy said:

Correct, I choose to consume my entertainment in different ways across different platforms and in different situations. Do you not watch different movies at home than you would in theaters? Or read different books / magazines at different times of the year or in different settings?
The facts still stand, though - you're still buying an inferior version (no mods, no fixes, no mouselook) of a shit game and you're still a colossal douche supporting the decline.
GTFO.
:mob:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
DraQ said:
7hm said:
epikitscheesy said:
epikitscheesy said:

The facts still stand, though - you're still buying an inferior version (no mods, no fixes, no mouselook) of a shit game and you're still a colossal douche supporting the decline.
GTFO.
:mob:

- Could be worse: could be buying DA2 or the upcoming DA3. Now that truly is a crime as although Bethesda is retarded, they aren't corporate douchebags like EA/Bioware.

When I have kids, I will make sure they play classics like Fallout 1 and PS:T to know what a good RPG is. I will forbid them from playing anything made from EA or Activision and if they do, I will disown them.

jancobblepot

Educated
!

DragoFireheart said:
When I have kids, I will make sure they play classics like Fallout 1 and PS:T to know what a good RPG is. I will forbid them from playing anything made from EA or Activision and if they do, I will disown them.

You should let them choose between an unholy monocle and happiness...

DraQ

Arcane
Re: !

jancobblepot said:
DragoFireheart said:

Besides, your kids will need to *know* the popamole in order to reject it.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
DraQ said:
DragoFireheart said:
- Could be worse: could be buying DA2 or the upcoming DA3. Now that truly is a crime as although Bethesda is retarded, they aren't corporate douchebags like EA/Bioware.
Scrolls anyone?

AFAIK Bethesda took action because the guy with the Scrolls game tried to trade mark the word "Scrolls".

Ammar

Scholar
octavius said:
DraQ said:
DragoFireheart said:
Scrolls anyone?

AFAIK Bethesda took action because the guy with the Scrolls game tried to trade mark the word "Scrolls".

He did try, but after the initial letters from Bethseda he offered a compromise, in which he offered to not register "Scrolls" as a trade mark. At least that's what he claims, but I tend to believe him.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Re: !

DraQ said:
jancobblepot said:
DragoFireheart said:

Besides, your kids will need to *know* the popamole in order to reject it.

- I'll just let them play older bioware games and Oblivion. Or get "free" versions of EA/Activision games. If they truly must play to learn then I'll tolerate it but I won't tolerate them giving money to those scum.

epikitscheesy

Liturgist
7hm said:

Sometimes all I want to do is watch action movies or play action games. It doesn't always have to be foreign movies, underground screamo rap-metal and microbrews. Sometimes Die Hard and a Molson Ex are fun too.
While I certainly don't want to condemn any of these things wholesale, let alone you (sry, my sense of irony is, erm, clumsy), I still have to say this much:

At least I try not to waste my time. :smug:

Xi

Arcane

I've been using my PS3 to play Dark Souls. I'll probably get this for PS3 too. It's a console game after all. I agree with you. :lol:

Rpgsaurus

Novice
Vanilla Oblivion was shit, unplayable, etc. I think anyone with a good taste in games would agree with that. It had a TC, though, called "Nehrim: At Fate's Edge", which was actually enjoyable (up to a point, since some bits of it were p. unfinished and the Oblivion character system and combat were irredeemably shit - at least Nehrim fixed exploration and story...), and would have made getting Oblivion worthwhile.

I expect Skyrim to be shit (or a 10/10 if you're a slobbering teenager and Oblivion was your first RPG, of course). However, if there are worthwhile TC's coming out for it in some 4-5 years after it goes to print, it might actually be worth getting.

mondblut

Arcane
It will likely follow the Oblivion route - not remove it from inventory, burn it on a dvd, put it on a shelf without ever installing, forget about it forever.

(okay, it's not really an "Oblivion route", it's "a modern game route")

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Possibly at 75% off if it doesn't end up being on par (or worse than) Oblivion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom