Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Uh.. oh (Was leaked skyrim opening gameplay, reuploaded).

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Captain Shrek said:
sea said:
I like how when the dragon attacks, instead of fucking running, they stand around to deliver hackneyed exposition. Good stuff there Bethesda.

err... I doubt anybody has ever seen a dragon there before. I am sure that this is its first sighting.
If it was the first time you saw a (hostile) dragon, what course of action would you take?

a) Fucking run
b) Fucking run
c) Fucking run
d) Stand around 20 feet away and speculate as to whether "the legends were true", then poignantly perform last rites on a nearby dead body
e) Fucking run

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Jack said:
Why is it so small they asked.

Because of compression they said.

106zzfk.png
is that a screencap from a Youtube vid...

Captain Shrek

sea said:
Captain Shrek said:
sea said:
I like how when the dragon attacks, instead of fucking running, they stand around to deliver hackneyed exposition. Good stuff there Bethesda.

err... I doubt anybody has ever seen a dragon there before. I am sure that this is its first sighting.
If it was the first time you saw a (hostile) dragon, what course of action would you take?

a) Fucking run
b) Fucking run
c) Fucking run
d) Stand around 20 feet away and speculate as to whether "the legends were true", then poignantly perform last rites on a nearby dead body
e) Fucking run

If I was reasonable little me, I would run. If I were a nord, I would be rooted to the spot. Typical Conan behavior. :P

Of course I am kidding. I guess they should run, should they not?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I just realised something. I thought that the finishing moves looked a bit weird, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then I noticed that every time one is performed, the camera pans away to avoid having to show the weapon actually penetrating the enemy. My guess? The first person viewmodel cannot actually interact with anything in the game world, so rather than make an improvement to their technology to allow for that, they just took the half-assed route and ended up with kill animations that look extremely awkward and unsatisfying instead.

That's our Bethesda! Why do a good job when you half-ass it instead?

Luzur

Good Sir
Trash said:
Highlights were the underground river. Rest really was crap from voice acting to the really crap level of animation. Scripting makes BF3 SP look good. Lowest point? The vase with the oil light near the end of the starter dungeon. WTF is a light source like that doing in a place were spiders roam and a bear hibernates?

Just a niggle but one of my pet peeves.

yes, kinda weird that the Imperial Legion dont clear out its own basement from giant spiders or bears.

well they are Imperial Soldiers in a fantasy world with demons, sprites, undead and shit out in the woods, so they are prob kinda prepared at unatural stuff coming at them, also first shock doesnt always make you run.

Black

Arcane
[Perception] That was a dragon. No doubt.

Glad bethesda learned something from fallout 3.

Vb

Novice
I seem to recall Todd saying that the animation was receiving special attention this time around.

The fruits of Bethesda's labor:
NeV78.gif

Kind of hypnotic.

hoopy

Savant
Kotaku actually posted the original videos. They must have realized they'd get taken down in five milliseconds, but at least they got themselves an excuse to generate some traffic.

The first 25 minutes are really boring, and I never thought I'd see the Half-Life opening in a fantasy game. I also don't like how you begin the game by slaying imperial soldiers, giant spiders and bears.

Data4

Arcane
One thing I liked about the vids was the noticeable absence of the Generic Bethesda Male NPC VA. I'm talking about the same guy who did the voice of the leader of the Dark Brotherhood AND the Grey Fox in Oblivion, as well as about 2/3 of all the other male characters. If I never hear him again, it'll be too soon. Unfortunately Generic Bethesda Female NPC VA (aka Lynda Carter) is confirmed in. I did like hearing Claudia Christian, though. Love me some Ivanova and Anne Manx.

JrK

Prophet
The gameplay looks exceptionally boring. You take a million hits and can instakill baddies. No challenge whatsoever.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Azrael the cat said:
sgc_meltdown said:
MetalCraze said:
What's with Bethesda and its "main hero is a convict" shtick?

in morrowind I thought it was a metaphor for 'WELCOME TA AUSTRALIA, MATE'

I'm not a particularly patriotic type (which, ironically, is as Oz as you can get - we take great pride in our not giving a shit about national symbols, I still remember US backpackers' jaws dropped in horrific amazement as me and a few other Aussies mumbled our way through the national anthem, forgetting half the words and not bothering to stand up, let alone put hands on heart or any of that naff bullshit - do that kind of stuff and people will demand to know why you're acting like 'a fucking yank'.)

But I'm still damn proud of the fact that our greatest national icon is a criminal whose claim to fame was a spectacularly poorly thought out shoot-out with the cops (Ned Kelly and his metal suit, not taking into account the fact that its enormous weight would make him an incredibly slow-moving target, and that he could still be shot in the arms and legs anyway), and two of our proudest 'nation-forming' historical events were (a) a mini-rebellion that started because we ran out of booze (the rum rebellion), and (b) a bunch of unionists/commies taking a town hostage (the Eureka Stockade).

Fuck having a rebellion over taxes on tea exports. Rioting because you've run out of rum - that's how you found a fucking nation:)
:salute:
Good to know my cousins are in good hands. Now I'll go off waltzing Mathilda...

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
I just had a conversation where I said that game's opening 30min scriptfest is going to be a joy to play every time you start the game. And why can't we just a a opening like in Morrowind or F:NV.

"Yes, it's sucks ass, no one is going to deny it, but in the end, it's not going to matter. Except for you, myname The Oblivionhater"

okay

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Have Bethesderp told us which famous actors they've hired for 20 seconds of VO work for Skyrim?

I'm predicting Brian Cox and Alan Rickman.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Eh, no one cares about Elder Scrolls or Skyrim anyway.

While only 19.2 percent of those in the study said they were aware of Skyrim -- well below the rate for many other major franchises -- a full 56 percent of those with knowledge of the game said they were going to purchase it, a ratio larger than any other title in the study.

Despite the high "engagement," only 10.9 percent of all surveyed gamers said they planned on purchasing Skyrim. By contrast, a full 30.9 percent of respondents are planning on purchasing Modern Warfare 3, representing nearly half of the 62.1 percent that are aware of the game.

Other titles which showed high engagement include Halo: Anniversary Edition, Uncharted 3, Zelda: Skyward Sword, and Gears of War 3 -- more than half of those aware of each title said they were planning on making a purchase.

ipsos_oct2011.png

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3822 ... Gamers.php

Raapys

Arcane
Is it really though? Seriously, if they bring back levitation it might just spark my interest enough to try it out. How the fuck could they remove the single-most awesome spell in the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom