Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Last Days for M&B - released!

Deakul

Augur
When the fuck will people realize that replacing the ingame font is stupid as shit?

Dear God, it's so hard to read anything.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Mine has been quite bugless so far. What bothers me is that I can't really get the weapons I want (why don't any of the "good" guys use sabres? *g*) and some of the item stats. EG, none of the elven bows I've seen so far can be used from horseback. Might be the reason I haven't seen the noldorin mounted archer shoot yet... There seem to be some vanilla game bows in (shortbow, nomad bow, strongbow) that can be used from horseback and are much more damaging, too, but do cutting dmg instead of piercing...
And then the prices on stuff is irritating. Great elven bastard swords are cheaper than bundles of arrows. Ranger leather is very costly but only provides 17 torso armour while weighing 19 kg (or was it lbs?) or so...
I'm also looting lots of orc stuff, the metal scaps stuff was only before the war started. And the music is mostly vanilla, only sometimes does the (very good) mod music start. Many of the combat areas feel really small :(

Needs some patching, lots of tweaking but it's perfectly playable and I'm having lots of fun.

So far the elves have been good, but unless the enemy AI fucks up and just waits in the arrow-storm I don't rofl-stomp them.
I also don't get why they said that stuff mostly doesn't look like in the movies when it mostly does.

PS: I've unlocked a region in Mirkwood (and, in the first game I started, in Fangorn) but when I visit it it's just a (nice looking) very small area with nothing of interst in it...?

Korgan

Arbiter
Mangoose said:
How much and how soon are they planning to support this release with patches? I might wait for a more stable version if there's one over the horizon.
There's said to be a major patch coming within a month; dunno if they'll be releasing any hotfixes before that.
Shannow said:
There seem to be some vanilla game bows in (shortbow, nomad bow, strongbow) that can be used from horseback and are much more damaging, too, but do cutting dmg instead of piercing...
Yeah, I noticed that too. Must be an oversight, although making piercing bows dismounted-only could well be for balance reasons; horse archery would be too overpowered otherwise. As it is, you can already ride behind the charging enemy and either shoot them in the back or make them face you and turn away from your archers. Between that trick and trampling enemy archer lines on a warhorse, the AI can hardly stand up to you unless they're cavalry-heavy.
The trolls are amazing, BTW. They're tall, ugly and can pulverize a whole mob of your guys in one sweeping blow. At last something to beware of.

Flanged

Scholar
Shannow said:
Mine has been quite bugless so far. What bothers me is that I can't really get the weapons I want (why don't any of the "good" guys use sabres? *g*)

If you go to the Camp menu from the overworld map you should be able to change a setting in the TLD Options, so that you can buy/use "evil" weapons. Not sure how it works, or how the weapons become available exactly, but it removes the faction restrictions on equipment so you can somehow get or buy one.

I'm Rohanning about the place, still very early game. Just been to the mankind-owned side of Osiligath. Beautiful scene, nice atmosphere and sounds. Don't know how they got NPCs to run in a non-battle scene, that must've taken a bit of effort, but they've gone the extra mile just to enhance the feel of that single scene. It's a very good sign in a mod.

Orcs and goblins look awful similar so far, though. Maybe they're supposed to in the lore, I'm not big on Tolkien. I've modded M&B myself a bit, and Minas Tirith is a hell of an impressive achievement. No slow down or anything in the scene.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Flanged said:
Shannow said:
Mine has been quite bugless so far. What bothers me is that I can't really get the weapons I want (why don't any of the "good" guys use sabres? *g*)

If you go to the Camp menu from the overworld map you should be able to change a setting in the TLD Options, so that you can buy/use "evil" weapons. Not sure how it works, or how the weapons become available exactly, but it removes the faction restrictions on equipment so you can somehow get or buy one.
It "works" by using captured equipment. I was using a corsair cutlass. But one of the reasons I chose elves was the promised high quality equipment. And here overall balancing is patchy.

How do you capture a troll ? I have a troll cage but every time I attack a troll, I only have 'dis-engage' as an option.
Never had that quest, but have you tried attacking a troll with blunt weapons in close combat? Muahahahahahahaha....sry

Korgan

Arbiter
anus_pounder said:
How do you capture a troll ? I have a troll cage but every time I attack a troll, I only have 'dis-engage' as an option.
Yeah, that might be bugged. Wait for an allied party to attack it or lure it towards one. At least that worked for killing one.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
How do trolls stand up to lance hits? I recall being able to deal out insane 200-300+ damage hits with a couched lance, I'm guessing not even a troll can shrug that off. Is that pretty much the only way to hurt them, or can you take them down normally and lances are cheap kills like for everything else?

Shannow

Waster of Time
They frighten horses (horses shy when they ride directly on a troll), so it's difficult damaging it with couched lances (I've only tried ride-bys with normal attacks, though). They also deal AOE dmg and wipe riders off their horses.
So far I've gotten the best results from good old "shoot it from a distance with scores of archers".

deuxhero

Arcane
DamnedRegistrations said:
How do trolls stand up to lance hits? I recall being able to deal out insane 200-300+ damage hits with a couched lance, I'm guessing not even a troll can shrug that off. Is that pretty much the only way to hurt them, or can you take them down normally and lances are cheap kills like for everything else?

I also used the lots of archers thing.

As for the bow damage thing, for humans it doesn't matter most of the time if "short" bows do the right damage type (and as such ignore armor) as most of the "evil" people don't wear real armor.

hanssolo

Educated
mass archers fuck everyone's shit right up.

this thing is fucking great and if I could roam the countryside with a band of pony-mounted, greatsword-wielding hobbits then it would be GOTY for me.

deuxhero

Arcane
That's true in the base game (and real life)

OK, I just destroy half of Isengrad's forces as one mounted archer.

Damn that shit is broken.

Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've found that the troll scaring horses-thing doesn't work really well all the time. Somtimes the horse is frightened long after the troll is dead and gone, and I've charged them with lances several times.

On that note, I'll guess that trolls have what? 250-350 hit points? They usually took two lance hits to go down.

Fun game overall, although I can get a bit annoyed by the timidity of the commanders of the factions. It took 10 days before Theoden finally got off his ass and went for the Dunlendings, even though I (and others) had slaguhtered almost every single one of them, reducing them to "spent and wavering" or whatever the rquirement is.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Ent Water does the same as in the books, you just have to wait some time...

Trolls have 255 strength and 10 ironskin, should add up to 305 hp or so. Dunno if 255 str is the hard coded max. I went and gave them some points in athletics because at the moment they're too damn slow and I think a longstriding gait should increase travel speed even if they're not much of sprinters (and the item editor doesn't seem to work corrrectly with TLD, which makes me careful using it to decrease their armor's weight). I'll also try giving them 200 more strength and fixing all the elven troops that were wrongly flagged and underequipped...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom