Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Master of Magic unofficial patch

DakaSha

Arcane
:salute:

Luigi

Barely Literate
kyrub said:
Ill just take my hat off to ya, Zen master.
Before you do, please DOWNLOAD new corrected version 1.40ll.
Ha. Why would anyone do that? Those shitty old games are not the Codex way. Alphaturd is.
You should fix games like Arcanum and Planescape. Not only are those Codex favorites, they also provide opportunity for delicious drama.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Shut the fuck up.

Both of those were already fixed - if he wants to do a rpg, i'd suggest ToEE, that has serious pathfinding problems and some infinite cycle bugs.

kyrub

Augur
A new version, 1.40m is out. Insecticide 1.40m
Few but very important fixes, AI aggressive in combat (finally), AI units attack twice, no War bears spam.

We have now surpassed 200 changes in the Insecticide project, bugfixes, AI and interface improvements. Enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------

Version 1.40m
------------------------

- [bug] AI will now always attack agressively
- [bug] AI units now always attack twice, if possible
- [bug] Extreme and Hard difficulties now have correct opponent's number of picks (13 for Hard, 15 for Extreme)

-AI: better summoning
- AI will not hesitate with settling nodes with Spirit
- AI heroes are preserved in AI-AI combat, and they will be resurrected
- AI creating items have been postponed to the later stages of the game

kyrub

Augur
CATNIP mod for Master of Magic

[This is a bit off topic in this thread, but maybe it will interest a few codexians.]

I have finalized a long work on a a first part of a thorough mod of Master of Magic game.

What is it
The mod is called CATNIP. Its main development lines are:
- to reduce exploits that suck out the nice part and the true challenge from MoM
- to improve sub-par wizard skills/ spells / building choices, to add more juice to an already great game
- to extend the RPG element of the game (more unit experience levels, better lairs and lair rewards, lairs differentiation)
- to deepen the strategic element by enhancement of city defenses
- to improve sub-par combat mechanics (speed up the units, new poison conception etc., new resistance conception etc.)
- to change the monetary economy of MoM, so that "gold -> mana route" is far less easy to follow
- to reduce unnecessary micromanagement (iif possible)

Where is it
There is a first part of the mod, featuring about 20% of projected changes, with release notes, here:
http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthre ... post198724

NOTE,
that the changes are not definitive, they are subject to testing and discussion in the appropriate threads in Catnip subforum, http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59.

kyrub

Augur
A new version (Insecticiide 1.40n) can to be found in the first post in this thread.

Some top priority fixes were made, the highlight of this release is certainly the Lucky-to-defend bug, making Halfling units into the toughest MoM army. Forget Bilbo, it was actually a stupid game bug. All those years, every third sword missed them automatically, on top of their correct Lucky bonus. So, now they should be really fragile... or little less invincible. Note that the same bug applies to Prayer. Full credit to Zitro for finding this zombie bug!

The runner-up is certainly the problem with Arcane-spells-cluttering-the-research bug.
Expect better AI as a reward, more coloured spells earlier against you! Again, kudos to Zitro.

Lasts but not least, we uncovered a 1.31 unknown code. It seems that right-clicking on cities in the Cities screen makes your empire management super-easy. I recommend trying it, you won't regret. And you may now try to Cycle ("X") through your cities when viewing one of them, it feels nice and may be potentially even useful.

Version 1.40n (latest)
------------------------

- [bug] Lucky and Prayer bonus was incorrectly making all incoming attacks less efficient (-1 to hit), on top of its correct effect
- [bug] arcane spells clutter the research options for player and AIs, due to incorrect choice mechanics.
- [bug] Runemaster 200% to_dispel bonus now works / does not work, only whent it should / should not work .
- [bug] instable data preventing early mercennary offers to the human player
- [bug] Myrror cities had normal roads passing through them

- [insecticide bug] "Revolting raiders" option is now connected with the right button on the Setting screen
- [insecticide bug] serious data instability issue on Cities screen

- [interface] you may cycle through all your cities with "X" key, when viewing the inner City screen
- [interface] Cities screen can be accessed with "T" key
- [interface] Cities screen can be paged through with up and down arrows
- [interface 1.31] right-clicking on cities opens the Change screen in the appropriate location, giving you an easy management tool

Final note:
I resumed work on a big conversion of Master of Magic. It's called Flexibility and Speed, or shortly ZiKy.
Details and further info can be found here, if anyones interested:
http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
A new version (Insecticiide 1.40n) can to be found in the first post in this thread.

After playing the game for years with the ripped musical score playing through an mp3 player I suddenly came to the realisation that I never asked the one big MoM modder about this. Everyone knows the musical score is massively messed up with most songs not even being played by the game. Did you ever look into this for the fanpatch? Fixing it so that this plays normally during play would be some incline indeed.

And I've got the sneaking suspicion that some sounds are also missing, though I can't put my finger on that one.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I think the patch history of MoM is the ultimate answer to the question why we've never seen a true sequel...

Oh damn, now I'm tempted to start another game of it.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I think the patch history of MoM is the ultimate answer to the question why we've never seen a true sequel...

Nah. After Simtex wrote history by making both Master of Magic and Master of Orion (1 and 2) they set out to make a strategy game heavily 'inspired' by mechwarrior. Kind of a mix between galactic strategy and planetary tactics with big-ass robots. Game was called Mech Lords (later renamed Metal Lords) and when it was about finished FASA sued them. They settled but after all that Microprose went under and so did the game. Apparantly it was finished as rumors of review copies floating around are still alive and kicking. After this blow Simtex went under and the guys that made some of the absolute best 4x games disappeared from the genre.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/what-is-known-about-mech-lords.54249/

kyrub

Augur
Everyone knows the musical score is massively messed up with most songs not even being played by the game. Did you ever look into this for the fanpatch? Fixing it so that this plays normally during play would be some incline indeed.
Everyone? Then I am certainly out of that "every" list. Mind you, I never played the game with sound on.
Can you please explain in detail what exactly happens with the music, when you attempt to play it "through the game engine"?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Everyone knows the musical score is massively messed up with most songs not even being played by the game. Did you ever look into this for the fanpatch? Fixing it so that this plays normally during play would be some incline indeed.
Everyone? Then I am certainly out of that "every" list. Mind you, I never played the game with sound on.
Can you please explain in detail what exactly happens with the music, when you attempt to play it "through the game engine"?

As far as I recall (from the days when I was still involved in mom fansites and the strat newsgroups) the soundtrack had a number of songs that never played in the game itself. Here's a rip of the soundtrack that should include all songs that can be found in the game files, including a few that apparantly never play. Perhaps my memory has gone to shit but I do recall this being quite the issue back when.

http://www.mirsoft.info/gmb/music_info.php?id_ele=MjA5NA==

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
kyrub

For some reason all of your links to Realmsbeyond.net are dead - they either point to forum that does not exist or to a thread that does not exist. Both here and over at GoG.com
I'm trying to get the latest MoM patch but none of the links work. Same if I go there manually - the link in the first post in that thread about your patch also returns an error. Any chance this newest patch - 1.40n - could be downloaded somewhere else? Cheers.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Yeah, cheers, I found it at AtomicGamers already but the more links there are, the better.

Also, it's brutal now :) Got my ass handed to me in my first two games. Third one is going better but the outcome still hangs in a balance.

kyrub

Augur
(I know that everybody and their granny are looking forward to M-WoM, but for those who still love to play the 2D original or who wait if WoM proves itself... a small update. A big exception is that this is alpha, still has some small problems, but the task was really big this time... enjoy!)

9/03/2015
New version
DOWNLOAD

Version 1.40o - ALPHA (small problems and display bugs)
------------------------
- [AI] there is now a very simple AI for bowmen, finally. It tries to shoot arrows only when closer to the target.
- [interface] cities now have a QUEUE with 2 extra objects. Use Q button or left-click on "Producing" area. Downside: you cannot put in the queue a building for which you haven't build prerequisite for, yet.
- [setup] a new landmass in between medium and large landmass is selectable. The landmasses are called "Tiny-Small-Medium*-Large-Huge", where medium is the new one.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
- [interface] cities now have a QUEUE with 2 extra objects. Use Q button or left-click on "Producing" area. Downside: you cannot put in the queue a building for which you haven't build prerequisite for, yet.
I-
This-
How-

:love:

belated

Augur
For some reason my troll capital is building dark elf swordsmen when I'm trying to build a fighters guild with the newest patch. I though the first one I got was a merc that I'd accepted and not noticed, but then I got another one, and when I enter the capital I see it right there in the queue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom