Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim gameplay stream impressions.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Because we needed another Skyrim thread.

Anyway, I had a chance to watch a video of the three-hour stream. I didn't watch it all and pay attention all the time, but here are some impressions (at least what I think is worth mentioning):

It starts out with him in the foothills of a mountain range in this town. He says he's collected quite a few quests (and it shows them) so he was probably several hours in at this point.

Quests seem to be divided in the menu between main quest, guild quests, and miscellaneous.

Not long and he's going up a snowy mountain. A good way up he encounters a frost troll which completely rapes his face off and he can't go that way. Looks like the equivalent of Fallout 3's deathclaws.

Inside a cave he meets the Greybeards (or whatever they're called) who teach him about being dragonborn and have him undergo tests (i.e. tutorial on shouts). These guys also know shouts but unlike the dragonborn have to spend years working on them. They give him a new shout, Winter's Sprint or something like that, which allows him to jump forward distances. He uses this obsessively from this point forward.

Shouts have a rechargable bar at the top. It doesn't take long to fill back up. Ditto for mana. Apparently you can have one shout equipped at a time.

Learning a second and third word in a shout simply makes it more powerful in a variety of ways.

Next he's in the city of Whiterun (I believe). It's the tiered city with the water running down the middle. He spends some time looking at merchants which I didn't pay attention to.

Sometime at night a courier arrives with an anonymous message saying that he's caused a stir with his use of shouts in town (the Winter's Sprint) and that maybe he should keep a lower profile. Who knows if there are any real consequences or not, but they're at least implying it.

He joins the Companions (fighter's guild) which are headquartered in that city. First task is to intimidate a farmer's daughter. He keeps failing the quest because as soon as she starts swinging his companion jumps in (yes apparently it's like Fallout 3 in that regard) and kills her. He has to retry several times by taking his companion farther away and telling her to wait, in which case she would still run and attack the girl when the fighting started.

Dialogue is by and large retarded. Not a big surprise but there it is.

And by the way, the "trees" are simply the same topic system, only in full sentences now.

After successful completion of that quest, he returns to the mid-level guy who tells him that the boss wants to talk to him before anything else. When the player presses the middle guy for a quest he says seomthing like "I wouldn't want to make head honcho angry, but if you want I do have more work for you," which implies that progression through the guild quests won't be completely linear like in Oblivion. Maybe more like Morrowind. Regardless he goes to the head honcho who tells him to go to this cave (I forget the quest) and that he will be accompanied this time. The rest of the video is him travelling to the cave and then what happens there.

On the way he travels through some prairie-ish scenery. Definitely more like Morrowind in terms of atmosphere and variety. Not like this wasn't known but it does look pretty even on shitty XBox. At night there were auroras in the sky which were quite beautiful.

At one point he sees a dragon in the sky. It simply circles a few times and then flies away. He tries shooting at it but either he misses or the dragon doesn't give a fuck. Perhaps they all aren't immediately hostile.

Also on the way a woman runs up to him shouting "Help! I've been bitten by a vampire. Can you help me?" He denies her and she's like, "Well I need to find a priest before I turn." Hilariously bad dialgoue. Vampires are confirmed.

He also encounters a troll who immediately rapes him like the frost troll. This one wasn't immediately hostile though.

He also encounters some bandits. Apparently there's a shout which can sort of cripple a person, or at least there are ways to cripple someone in the game, because the woman bandit started doing a sort of hobble/crawl away from him. She says "please don't kill me," while trying to get away, but he stabs her from behind with a finishing move.

When he's finally in the cave with his companion he gets to an area where he's told to go into a little alcove and pull a lever. When he does iron bars slide shut behind him, locking him out from his companion. The guy's like "let me figure a way to get you out" but before he does he becomes surrounded by hostile enemies (some rival sect I think). They talk a little, and this looks like the part where you're forced to watch a dramatic death of a companion, but instead he morphs into a werewolf and kills them all. Werewolves are confirmed. Afterwards he confides that all the upper Companions (or maybe all period) are werewolves. Huh.

The rest is still in the cave. He literally spends the last 20 minutes trying unsuccessfully to pick a lock. What a dumbass.

Well that's it. I guess this thread is for those who can't be arsed to watch the video but are still interested. If anyone caught anything I miss feel free to add it. Unless Jaesun retardoes this thread or something.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Winter's Sprint sounds almost game-breaking in its potential.

Would it not be cooler if they gave such a powerful spell as reward for a difficult optional quest, instead of giving it straight away for free?

Some derp, some incline, and a lot of incompetence on the part of the player then. Thank you for the report.

Glad the Companions aren't quite the Fighter's Guild by any other name. I don't remember the FG doing intimidation quests.

Multi-headed Cow

Genma:TheDestroyer said:
I don't remember the FG doing intimidation quests.
I think they did in Morrowind at least. I seem to vaguely remember some slightly questionable fighter quests. Could be wrong about that though.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Multi-headed Cow said:
I don't remember the FG doing intimidation quests.
I think they did in Morrowind at least. I seem to vaguely remember some slightly questionable fighter quests. Could be wrong about that though.
In Morrowind the Fighters Guild was in league with the Camonna Tong, the local mafia.

Going back to a wiki, turns out half are Cammona Tong lackies, and the other perfectly normal FG masters.

You can actually help clear out the Fighters Guild of the CT's influence through quests:

http://www.uesp.net/morrow/quest/mw_fig ... tonguetoad

Some by killing the corrupt masters or Fire-eye through getting an artifact of Clavicus Vile and bribing her. I remember doing that one.

Of course you can also side with the corrupt members. I suppose for someone who is role-playing and a higher-end member of House Hlaalu this would be the right choice. You actually had to meet with the Tong's leader and work something out before you became Grandmaster.

kris

Arcane
Going back to a wiki, turns out half are Cammona Tong lackies, and the other perfectly normal FG masters.

Camorra. Tang. So Napolitano Chinese?

Sordid Jester

Educated
Dicksmoker said:
Barrow_Bug said:
http://ompldr.org/vYjViMg/skyrim.html

There's this too. Apologies for the double- post (I've posted this link in another thread).
"Stream not found."
It was an hour and a half clip of the same guy before the three hour one with mostly aimless wandering, and one cave exploring. There's a retarded dragon fight in it (it sits there, and gets whacked to death pretty easily), and the dickhead decides to pass on a half-dozen or so 1 weight robes that were worth 153 gold each. Oh, and also managed to die to some vampire fledglings that die in two hits (with plain old 'Vampire' dying in three or four.).

So he was only poor in the three hour video because he was a fucking idiot. Surprise surprise.

Oh, and he bumps into a Stormcloak outpost, kills one of their horses and none of them notice. Durp.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Is Grunker saying that only in threads about Skyrim, or in other threads as well?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Earlier today I found a stream where the player killed a dragon in like 2 minutes, and right when he was walking away another dragon flew around. Dragons confirmed for new cliff racers.

CrazyLoon

Prophet
kris said:
Camorra. Tang. So Napolitano Chinese?

Elder Scrolls is essentially a mishmash of real life cultures. I mean most of the things in the games are so uninspired. Roman soldiers, Samurai agents, Viking nords, you name it. It's very much like the DnD Forgotten Realms. Just a bunch of generic crap nonsense bundled together into a big giant pile of :decline: .

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Excidium said:
Earlier today I found a stream where the player killed a dragon in like 2 minutes, and right when he was walking away another dragon flew around. Dragons confirmed for new cliff racers.

And was the player level 1?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
No, I think he was level 20-something. But it was funny how everyone on chat went from "OMG A DRAGON!" to "uh, that's it?". And then came that wave of disbelief "b-but he was being helped by a NPC", "err...that dragon is low level".

And then when the other dragon flew by, the epic battle music started playing and people went "OMG A DRAGON!" again. :lol:

curry

Arcane
Raghar said:
Is Grunker saying that only in threads about Skyrim, or in other threads as well?

Just click on his profile and search for his posts. His last 20 or something posts have been "Majestic" in random threads. :lol:

Seems like it's some pathetic forced meme attempt

zeitgeist

Magister
Dicksmoker said:
Apparently there's a shout which can sort of cripple a person, or at least there are ways to cripple someone in the game, because the woman bandit started doing a sort of hobble/crawl away from him. She says "please don't kill me," while trying to get away, but he stabs her from behind with a finishing move.
I haven't actually noticed any locational damage or anything like that, this just seems to be the default "I'm low on HP, I'm going to beg for mercy until you turn around so I can attack you again" action.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
You guys are aware there is a 15+ part Let's Play up, right?

http://www.gameanyone.com/game/X360/12235.html

After watching about 4 hours or so it looks to be a better version of Oblivion, sprinkled with some Morro but the guy hasn't gotten that far in the main quest.

Also he hasn't really explored many towns other than the main ones. Some of the dungeons look really nice though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom