Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Old Mac RPG from 1996 is now freeware...

Grim Monk

Arcane
Old Mac RPG from 1996 is now freeware...

Seem's its called Odyssey - The Legend of Nemesis...

The game's old promo/info page (screenshots here):
http://www.paranoidproductions.com/odyssey/main.html

Webpage for freeware release:
http://www.paranoidproductions.com/odyssey/index.html

Never heard of it, but the features list sounds promising:
Classical Piano Soundtrack featuring the works of Bach, Rachmaninov, Chopin, Brahms, and others. 18 tracks in all, nearly two hours of music.

Rich, non-linear story, featuring intriguing subplots, unique puzzles with alternate solutions, and multiple endings based on the player's choices.

Story slowly unfolds for the player through over forty books to find and read, as well as eighty non-player characters (NPCs) to meet and talk with.

Fully fleshed-out fantasy world with nine full islands to explore.

Several Hundred Hours worth of gameplay for those who want it - shorter paths to the ending for those who prefer.

Sophisticated Artificial Intelligence which allows NPCs to live their own lives.

Fifty different psionic abilities and forty varieties of weapons with which to fight over forty classes of monsters.

Detailed on-line descriptions of all weapons, psionics, armors, shields, and other objects.

Automapping which remembers all locations the player has visited.

Built-in Adventurer's Journal, which allows the player to keep on-line notes.

Also this:

Lead Developer:
"It's a fantasy role playing game, where you're wandering this mysterious archipelago - which was the game's original name - trying to find out what's going on there, as well as what happened to this magical staff you've lost. Along the way you meet like eighty different characters, and there's something like 200 or 300 pages of dialog alone. Except in some isolated instances, the puzzles aren't abstract logic things, but rather human situations where you have to figure out a logical solution to real problems. Almost all of the puzzles have multiple solutions, and different solutions have different ramifications for the people of the islands. It's really a story-centric game, where I thought up a story I wanted to tell, and then worked on developing technology that would support that.

Without the story, Odyssey is basically nothing. I guess I'd like to go back to games where story is more central to the development of the game. And I will, if I have my way."

Also a quick check online confirmed that it :salute: is turn based.

Thought this sounds like something the Codex could be interested in...

hoverdog said:
looks interesting. any way to play it on a non-fag computer?

I love it that the whole 'I'm a Mac, I'm a PC' ads backfired on Apple so badly that Microsoft starting using the same catchphrases, and the same image of 'the nerdy but loveably everyman to Apple's too-cool-for-you wanker' in their promotions.

I remember reading a study saying that Apple did reasonably well from it in the US, but completely failed to recognise how massively it would backfire in the UK, Australia and Canada. In Aus (and UK from what I've seen), the ultra-cool-Mac-guy is exactly how you'd portray a character in a TV series if he was supposed to be a complete douche, e.g. the 'rich, fashionable but douche boyfriend of the girl that the hero - inevitably a nerdy underdog - is after'. Way more Aussies and Brits sympathised with the always trying PC who kept battling along like the loyal little terrier, while brushing off the backhanded sympathy and jibes from the too-cool-for-school crowd.

We just like our lovable underdogs over here - it's why EVERY single election, both the major parties (together with everyone else) markets themselves as the 'underdog party'; they can be ahead in the polls by 90 freaken percent, and they'll still say 'the other party are favourites here, but we're the little battlers of Aussie politics, and we'll surprise those big arrogant dickheads'.

Hence since that ad, Mac has been seen as the computer of arrogant dicks - fortunately for Apple, the image never went past Mac, and didn't contaminate any of their other products, hence why they're still kicking ass with their Ipod/Ipad range.

But shit....you may as well have had a guy wearing a suit of cash and smoking small children say 'I'm a Mac, and all you pathetic peasants are PC's.' Especially because most people aren't massively computer literate. That's always been Apple's advantage - ease of use for those new to computing. But put some condascending bastard in there as Mac, pulling the piss out of those who aren't as cool as him in his ability to seamlessly be the l33t computer guy, and it makes people feel like they're the ones being insulted. Most folks associate themselves with the PC, not quite sure what they're doing, always feeling like they're a step behind in tech, and hoping that no arrogant git laughs at them for doing something wrong without knowing.

ANYWAY....on topic...

Is there any such thing as an Apple Mac emulator on PC? I'd expect to be able to emulate 1996 console games on a PC, and I would have thought that Apple games would have been similar in control schemes and tech requirements. Cany anyone point me in the direction of an emulator (if one exists) that would enable me to give the game a go?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
hoverdog said:

Well, if it was open source, not "freeware", maybe.

mariog

Educated
Actually, it's been freeware for years. And it should work with Basilisk II, which is the only (?) mac emulator for PC.

Cythera (which is awesome, by the way, and looks/feels/plays like Ultima VII - so you ought to try it now) works fine.

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Game reminds me of "Castle of the winds" makes me want to try this one.

hanssolo

Educated
mariog said:
Actually, it's been freeware for years. And it should work with Basilisk II, which is the only (?) mac emulator for PC.

Cythera (which is awesome, by the way, and looks/feels/plays like Ultima VII - so you ought to try it now) works fine.

There's also SheepShaver for emulating PPC Macs, dunno how well it runs, though.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I salute you for your vigilance.

This will have to go on my ever mounting to play list. Although, with the amount of time I have been able to set aside for games lately, that will mean I won't be able to start until Thursday--at which point I might as well as play AoD anyways.

Grim Monk

Arcane
I just found out on another forum that:

"it seems the (game's) archive is incorrectly labeled as .sit (Stuffit) and .hqx (BinHex), but it was only compressed using .sit. So if you run into a problem either extracting the archive or transferring the archive to a Mac, try deleting .hqx from the file name.."

Don't know if this is the case, as I haven't :oops: tried the game just yet.

Looking forward to the hearing other Codexers opinions.

Best of luck :) Azrael, hopefully the game will prove to be :incline:.

Tripicus

Augur
An amusing tidbit from the programmer Richard

As embarrassing as it is to admit, for me one big
advantage to being on the Mac was that the majority of games were
technologically behind their PC counter-parts. This made Odyssey, with
its somewhat dated technology, still acceptable as a commercial game in
the Mac gaming market. It is certainly doubtful Odyssey would have
made it onto store shelves as a PC title. The lower barrier to entry in the
Mac gaming market made my own entry possible. I suspect many game
developers view how they broke into the business as a one-time
combination of luck and timing; I know I certainly do.

My laptop is an old Powerbook from 2002 so the game runs readily on the machine. Had no issues with the file names. Once I'm not too busy I may start up a Let's play in a couple weeks if no one else here does. Then you may see the adventures of Wally Hackenslacker (Default Name).

The only things I gleaned in a few minutes of playing is that monsters appear in the world which you target and then attack. So there is no cut away to a battlefield. Resting in the wilderness is apparently dangerous as I was "pulverized" (sneak attack?) by a wandering monster that I was slaughering. It was enough to one shot me from half health.

Experience goes towards skills when you kill monsters. Maybe on use, didn't pay close enough attention, and I only had bare hands and longsword skill by that point. At the very least you gain health when the longsword skill increases. Note that I only gained the longsword skill once I found a longsword.

Conversation is a typed keyword based system that you're familiar with and the default music consists of solo classical piano pieces. There is also an automap feature you gain once you acquire a magical map at the start. Controls are fully customizable.

hanssolo

Educated
the above said:
Grim Monk said:
Pathways into Emulators - A Guide to Pre-Halo Bungie Games:
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=57881179
(Same process used for other non-Bungie Mac games)

Oh wow! Thanks for this, I've been looking for a way to play Pathways into Darkness, again and maybe do an LP at some point.

DO IT!

oaygdw.gif

Phelot

Arcane
:D

Time my friend... time is needed.

I don't care what anyone says, I like Colin Brent's (the guy that did PiD's art) artwork.

I was a little disappointed that someone at Something Awful already did a PiD LP, but it was also cool to see again.

Wunderpurps

Educated
Azrael the cat said:
hoverdog said:

I love it that the whole 'I'm a Mac, I'm a PC' ads backfired on Apple so badly that Microsoft starting using the same catchphrases, and the same image of 'the nerdy but loveably everyman to Apple's too-cool-for-you wanker' in their promotions.

I remember reading a study saying that Apple did reasonably well from it in the US, but completely failed to recognise how massively it would backfire in the UK, Australia and Canada. In Aus (and UK from what I've seen), the ultra-cool-Mac-guy is exactly how you'd portray a character in a TV series if he was supposed to be a complete douche, e.g. the 'rich, fashionable but douche boyfriend of the girl that the hero - inevitably a nerdy underdog - is after'. Way more Aussies and Brits sympathised with the always trying PC who kept battling along like the loyal little terrier, while brushing off the backhanded sympathy and jibes from the too-cool-for-school crowd.

We just like our lovable underdogs over here - it's why EVERY single election, both the major parties (together with everyone else) markets themselves as the 'underdog party'; they can be ahead in the polls by 90 freaken percent, and they'll still say 'the other party are favourites here, but we're the little battlers of Aussie politics, and we'll surprise those big arrogant dickheads'.

Hence since that ad, Mac has been seen as the computer of arrogant dicks - fortunately for Apple, the image never went past Mac, and didn't contaminate any of their other products, hence why they're still kicking ass with their Ipod/Ipad range.

But shit....you may as well have had a guy wearing a suit of cash and smoking small children say 'I'm a Mac, and all you pathetic peasants are PC's.' Especially because most people aren't massively computer literate. That's always been Apple's advantage - ease of use for those new to computing. But put some condascending bastard in there as Mac, pulling the piss out of those who aren't as cool as him in his ability to seamlessly be the l33t computer guy, and it makes people feel like they're the ones being insulted. Most folks associate themselves with the PC, not quite sure what they're doing, always feeling like they're a step behind in tech, and hoping that no arrogant git laughs at them for doing something wrong without knowing.

ANYWAY....on topic...

Is there any such thing as an Apple Mac emulator on PC? I'd expect to be able to emulate 1996 console games on a PC, and I would have thought that Apple games would have been similar in control schemes and tech requirements. Cany anyone point me in the direction of an emulator (if one exists) that would enable me to give the game a go?

So basically australians identify with the loser. Interesting.

Ruprekt

Scholar
Pretty much. Anglosaxon and nordic culture is egalitarian. Central and Eastern-European culture is authoritarian.

The United States originated as the former and shifted to the latter with immigration.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Ruprekt said:
Pretty much. Anglosaxon and nordic culture is egalitarian. Central and Eastern-European culture is authoritarian.

The United States originated as the former and shifted to the latter with immigration.

No, the United States realized that for one bright and shining moment it made up 50% of the entire economy of the world and had the only working nuclear weapons. At that moment the scales tipped towards the authoritarian in popular culture with a bang as the plate hit the table and stayed there, even as balance returned to world power and wealth.

Cynicus

Augur
Grim Monk said:
I just found out on another forum that:

"it seems the (game's) archive is incorrectly labeled as .sit (Stuffit) and .hqx (BinHex), but it was only compressed using .sit. So if you run into a problem either extracting the archive or transferring the archive to a Mac, try deleting .hqx from the file name.."

Don't know if this is the case, as I haven't :oops: tried the game just yet.

The archive isn't incorrectly labeled, it's been BinHex encoded, which presumably makes the file more resistant to corruption when transmitted across the net. I think most Mac web browsers decode the file automatically when it's downloaded. In Windows, you can use HFVExplorer (comes with SheepShaver) to copy the file onto your MacOS or other disk image, and it will decode the file during the copying process. Alternatively, you can enable the "My Computer" icon option in SheepShaverGUI, which allows you to access your Windows drives from MacOS, and move the hqx file from Windows onto your Mac desktop (or wherever). Dbl-click it to decode and unpack the sit archive. You need to have StuffIt Expander installed, btw.

Anyway, Odyssey runs well in SheepShaver with System 7.5.5 installed (XP host). Seems to have potential, but I've only played it for a few minutes. The jig the PC dances made me lol. Gonna load up the Cythera demo next, as I've never heard of it, either. Thanks for the heads-up on these games, bros. :salute:

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I'm not sure about the ancient mac (I was using them in the Lisa days) but if you're technically inclined you can build a hackintosh with OSX and then run something like Rosetta Stone as an emulator. I've put together three or four over the years on various shitty hardware and it works for the most part. You'll have to dual boot and you might spend more time getting it working than you'd spend playing the game, but I did have Wolfenstein Enemy Territory and EV Nova running on a couple of them.

I build them mostly for fun but also to piss off my evengelist brother and his buddies. I actually started trying to make a good server browser for the ID games but I realized that Mac users wouldn't care.

It has a great, solid base Operating System (BSD) with a simplified GUI on top. I used one of my hackintoshes for web building for awhile and got the hang of it but since I'm a gamer, I stick with the PC.

Here are the only three pics I have with my cat on the 'Toshibatosh', an old, shit laptop. It has OSX with X-Code and the iPhone developer kit on it.

736552-PZKN0RY.jpg

736561-V3KCCYR.jpg

736572-LFKVJKI.jpg

For me, we're back to the days when getting computers to work are truly more fun than playing the shit games they spew out these days. My cat has no comment.

MisterStone

Arcane
I remember this game!! I think it was on various FTP that hosted Mac Freeware games back in the day- this organization/club had a network of mirrors or something. I played only a little bit of the demo- it was pretty damn hard IIRC, and I remember a dungeon with this weird trap involving a cannon, which I had to figure out how to get past without being smeared by the damn cannon ball (it tracked the motion of the ball IIRC using the same clock the PC and NPCs etc. used). Also vaguely remember there being wands that blow shit up in the game. I think it was rather puzzle heavy. It seems sort of like it would play like a roguelike in a sense, but I am sure the maps were not random.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom