Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rage on.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Morgoth said:
People claiming Rage is a failure either haven't played it or are too stupid to run it properly.

I'd say Rage is definitely better than Doom 3 (id's worst game), and better than most of these big FPS IPs out there.

I tried to get it to run on a i5 3.3 ghz pc with 8 gig ram and a HD6900 videocard with latest beta driver. It crashes when you access the option screen. It goes wonky when you change graphical options and then crashes. It crashes upon loading a new area. Sometimes it even crashes when you load the first savegame. Rolled back drivers, then slowly worked way up, directx got reinstalled, hd defragged, several configs and other tricks posted on the official forums tried. Nothing helped. Looking at the different forums I'm not the only one. This game needs a patch. ID keeping silent about it is infuriating.

By now I had to promise my buddy to get bf3 because he's so pissed I talked him into this.

Bruticis

SoupNazi said:
Yeah - I too normally play FPSs that way, i.e. stopping at every corner to check out the textures. I don't jolt through the (p. dynamic) game while shooting the enemies and dodging bullets.
Unless it's right in your face and you can't help but notice it. Like you know, roll bars and stuff that draw my eyes like magnets to them.

Regdar

Arcane
SoupNazi said:
Yeah - I too normally play FPSs that way, i.e. stopping at every corner to check out the textures. I don't jolt through the (p. dynamic) game while shooting the enemies and dodging bullets.

You need something to look at while you're waiting for an enemy's head to pop out of cover.:smug:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Trash said:
Morgoth said:
People claiming Rage is a failure either haven't played it or are too stupid to run it properly.

I'd say Rage is definitely better than Doom 3 (id's worst game), and better than most of these big FPS IPs out there.

I tried to get it to run on a i5 3.3 ghz pc with 8 gig ram and a HD6900 videocard with latest beta driver. It crashes when you access the option screen. It goes wonky when you change graphical options and then crashes. It crashes upon loading a new area. Sometimes it even crashes when you load the first savegame. Rolled back drivers, then slowly worked way up, directx got reinstalled, hd defragged, several configs and other tricks posted on the official forums tried. Nothing helped. Looking at the different forums I'm not the only one. This game needs a patch. ID keeping silent about it is infuriating.

By now I had to promise my buddy to get bf3 because he's so pissed I talked him into this.
The latest Beta driver (Preview 3) is prone for crashes and Bethy actually does not recommend to install it. When I had Preview 3 installed, the game didn't load Textures. Reverted back to Preview 2 and everything runs perfectly.

Ugh... Doom 3 doesn't have health regen. It was solid shooter, very entertaining.
Bros before shitty consolized shooters, mang. :bro:

Multi-headed Cow

Just bought this and took my first look at it. Graphics are basically what was shown, both good and bad. Performance has been a dream though, which is impressive considering I haven't got a terribly fast machine. Core 2 Duo E6850 (3ghz), 4 gigs of RAM, and a GTS250 512 meg. Constant buttery smoothness thus far. The graphics become slightly more impressive just due to the great performance it's kicking out.

Gameplay wise it seems super popamole though. Enemy hides in cover, you pop him, advance. No great shakes.

SoupNazi

I like it, graphically, other than the pile of bodies everything seems fine (then again I don't stand in one place and stare at shit). I don't think the combat is quite a lot popamole as you describe though, mostly because there is no cover mechanic so when you're shooting, you expose yourself (which gives enemies the advantage of actually having cover). And on the top difficulty I actually get killed by grunts sometimes (then again maybe I just suck).

I dunno, it's sort of enjoyable. I wish the melee enemies were a bit tougher, because the way they dodge and move otherwise is excellent and could make it potentially very challenging. It leaves a lot to desire, and isn't as good as let's say Bulletstorm, but I'll keep playing it. The one thing it could do without is definitely the driving between quests, talking, etc. Either just straight up missions or an actual open world, not a shitty attempt at it.

Also the fact that sniper rifle is useless outside of scripted encounters that spawn the enemies well ahead of time. Fucking annoying.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Anyone still waiting for a patch can forget about it. Apparantly John Carmack doesn't seem to think it's very broken.

digitalAngst@ID_AA_Carmack After spending a weekend building rockets will you be spending the next week working just as hard at fixing your broken game?

John Carmack@digitalAngst what is still broken for you?

When digitalangst replied Carmack kept quiet. As he has done since Rage launched. My buddy with the ATI card meanwhile can't even get out of the ark. He makes it as far as the buggy before the game crashes and yes, we've tried nearly all fixes posted. It's not working and it's not working for a lot of people. Carmack should try and read some of the threads on the bethsoft and steam forums and should be out twittering about status updates instead of his rocket building hobby. A big release that is not working on launch for a huge amount of paying customers is a disaster. The devs then pretending nothing is wrong and keeping quiet for over a month is one of the biggest FUBAR's I've seen so far. I'm frankly appalled.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... &t=2213289

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I SMELL POPAMOLE I THOUGHT THE SUPER ELITE PC GAMERS ENJOYED STRUGGLING TO GET SHIT TO WORK THAT IS ONE OF THE POSITIVES PCTARDS MENTION IF THERE HEAD IS OUT OF THERE ASS LONG ENOUGH TO VOCALIZE THE SENTIMENT

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It's kind of funny how everyone holds John Carmack solely responsible for every single flaw in Rage.

Well he would've be given all the credit if he (and his team) had gotten it right, so it is certainly not unfair on him

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
But that's just it, "if he had gotten it right". He's a programmer, not a designer, and largely isn't responsible for design and business decisions. Best I can tell, they basically just put him in a room and let him do his thing. Many of Rage's problems, including poor optimization, low-res textures on PC, etc. mostly come down to management and production choices, an obvious lack of playtesting, and poor collaboration with hardware vendors. Carmack is pretty much a goddamn genius, but he's still only one person of many and it's stupid to fully credit him for every single success or failure alone. He is the first to admit that a huge part of things, even on the programming side, he has nothing to do with.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I do sense they gave him a bit of a Rockstar status, and he's become like George Lucas.

In behind-the-scenes videos you can see Lucas' staff act really uncomfortable around him, especially after screenings of his SW prequels, but no one says anything to his face.

There was a video of Carmack and his team somewhere celebrating the launch, and it felt like he was the little puppetmaster while they were his groupies.

Since Doom 3, he's learned nothing about letting other people's feedback through. He was making the game for other, lesser people, who would be "wowed" by the engine... the groupies. Not for his own peers.

Rage is a step forward from that, but still... the OpenGL drivers going to shit on Windows over time (because nobody except Carmack uses them), he should've seen that coming.

The blurriness factor of megatexture alone should've been an instant "FUCK NO I AM ABANDONING THIS STUPID TECH LOOK AT CRYSIS GUYS HOLY SHIT".

Instead, it became about the art and science of "painting" the levels in the editor. Theory, rather than practice. Game made for some "fans", who would recognize the "larger theoretical genius" of his principles, not for the simple laymen who think in terms of "hard disk space" and "close-up texture quality" - they are too primitive to understand the grand vision... of the GREAT CARMACK.

John, you used to be cool. Wolfenstein RPG for Java phones was excellent. Doom defined my adolescence.

What you need an ass-clown by your side who will constantly push you to the limit, and annoy the hell out of you. Yes, someone like John fucking Romero.

That was meant in a collective way, sea, hence the edit.

The point is, he - being the "celebrity" and the face of the company - at one point had the power to direct things to keep them on the right track but he failed at that opportunity

Carmack is in an incredibly comfortable position for himself, doing basically what he wants, how he wants and getting paid really well for it without needing to push boundaries beyond whatever he feels like coding at any time. People need to be unhappy to possess the drive to change things and really make a difference. He seems quite happy.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
It's kind of funny how everyone holds John Carmack solely responsible for every single flaw in Rage.

He's the most famous and visible part of ID and is rather active on social media like Twitter as well. Making him stand out even more. Him not mentioning jack shit about Rage during the past few weeks and instead harping on about office lighting and model rockets is infuriating for those who spend good money on a product that simple does not work. Especially when the company as a whole seems to have gone quiet on these issues so we have nowhere else to look. Sending out one single tweet that they're looking into the problems is not that hard to do but apparantly that's even too much. Instead we get one single tweet from the guy where he simply goes 'what problems'.

This is not about him somehow being responsible for all of Rage's problems. This is about noone at ID seemingly even acknowledging any problems.

and largely isn't responsible for design and business decisions.
Stop sucking his cock. He always was the one responsible for all projects after Doom 2. He kicked out Romero coz Romero "was sabotaging all the work" or some shit, and now he's pulling this? I can't find any side of Rage which could justify 20gb of blurry textures, bugs, health regen and 7 years in development.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Oriental European said:
and largely isn't responsible for design and business decisions.
Stop sucking his cock. He always was the one responsible for all projects after Doom 2. He kicked out Romero coz Romero "was sabotaging all the work" or some shit, and now he's pulling this? I can't find any side of Rage which could justify 20gb of blurry textures, bugs, health regen and 7 years in development.
I'm pretty sure most of Rage is Todd Hollenshead and Tim Willits. Carmack is the technical director and holds responsibility for the game's issues in that field, but holding him solely responsible for the entire game is stupid regardless of whether you think it's great or terrible. Considering ZeniMax's track record I also have plenty of reason to suspect that much of the blame (such as lack of proper QA for the PC version) falls on them. It's like saying that Warren Spector is wholly responsible for Deus Ex, even though many of the game's best ideas (i.e. skill system) came from other people who worked on it.

For the record, I hardly love Carmack. He's extremely smart and one of the few games industry programmers who is actually concerned with theory rather than just implementation, but he's also an egotistical fop and smugly lives up every second he gets - you can almost see his holier-than-thou aura drifting off of him. I'm just tired of seeing thousands of comments directed his way even though many of them should fall on others.

I'm pretty sure most of Rage is Todd Hollenshead and Tim Willits.
... why? Why are you so sure? id is nothing without Carmack, he's the only reason why Rage was expected by so many: "Carmack will show us some techno-magic! Because he's Carmack, god of progrmming!"
Carmack is the technical director. It's like saying that Warren Spector is wholly responsible for Deus Ex
Spector only worked with Eidos, as an employee. Carmack is a co-founder and a reason why it all started. If not his smooth screen-scrolling on PC and successful Commander Keen as a demo of this technology, there would be no id Software.
games industry programmers who is actually concerned with theory rather than just implementation
Theory of what?

Relay

Educated

Better than most of the big FPSes out there, really ? You really have to be a huge retard to die in that game. Even the Call of Duty felt far more interesting than this journey to apocalyptic disney land. Compare how the two games play in the harder difficulties and you'll understand what I mean. Rage is a FPS for the disabled.

Multi-headed Cow

Apparently this got an upgraded region lock so it won't even install properly if you don't have a Russian IP. Sounds like I should be ok so long as I NEVER EVER DELETE THE GAME.

God damn Bethesda.

Multi-headed Cow

Good deal, thanks a bunch for mentioning that. Either the people I saw mentioning that were full of shit (Very possible I guess), or that's a viable workaround.

By Steam backup you mean the whole "Compress the game and produce an installer", right? Not just copying the folder elsewhere, deleting, and moving it back?

Multi-headed Cow

Beat this today. Let us never speak of it again.

Ok just a little bit more. Super narrow linear levels, shooting has a decent weight to it with the enemy animations and how the guns handle. The racing is completely retarded and rubber banded all to hell. The crafting stuff is 99% useless. The story is so amazingly bland and awful Mass Effect looks exciting by comparison. Terrible bland story doesn't even end decently. Minigames are mostly painless and easily avoided if you don't give a shit. The card game is super easy assuming you're halfway observant and have been picking up cards and have a minimum amount of strategery in your thinking meats. Co-op mode is seemingly dead online (As was racing MP) but the one game I got of it with some random internet shithead on nightmare difficulty was slightly more exciting than playing singleplayer since they throw more enemies at you.
IN SUMMARY I was a foolish fool to buy this for $20. Don't be like me.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Already on a Steam sale for $40 (33% off the joke list price of $60). I'm sure it's earmarked for at least 50% or more for Christmas but even then the price would still be too high. Won't spend more than $10 max.

Metro said:
Already on a Steam sale for $40 (33% off the joke list price of $60). I'm sure it's earmarked for at least 50% or more for Christmas but even then the price would still be too high. Won't spend more than $10 max.

I won't spend more than 0 minutes on this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom