Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The science of decline explained via consumer psychology

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
http://arstechnica.com/science/news/201 ... -image.ars

so you don't need to click the link:
You may think you're defending your favorite platform because it's just that good. But, according to a recently published study out of the University of Illinois, you may instead be defending yourself because you view criticisms of your favorite brand as a threat to your self image. The study, which will be published in the next issue of the Journal of Consumer Psychology, examines the strength of consumer-brand relationships, concluding that those who have more knowledge of and experience with a brand are more personally impacted by incidents of brand "failure."

The researchers performed two experiments, one on a group of 30 women and another on 170 undergraduate students, in order to see whether the subjects' self esteem was tied to the general ratings of various brands. Those who had high self-brand connections (SBC)—that is, those who follow, research, or simply like a certain brand—were the ones whose self esteem suffered the most when their brands didn't do well or were criticized. Those with low SBC remained virtually unaffected on a personal level.

The residual effect of this is that those with high SBCs tend to discount negative news about their favorite brands, and sometimes even ignore it altogether in favor of happier thoughts.

"Consumers are highly resistant to brand failure to the point that they’re willing to rewrite history," business administration professor and researcher Tiffany Barnett White said in a statement. "It not only explains why so many Toyota customers ignored the negative brand information in the aftermath of the highly publicized recalls, it also accounts for why they’re quick to defend the company and why they would want to re-write history in a more positive way."

The paper notes that its conclusions challenge some assumptions from previous literature on brand connections. It had been assumed that brands are treated more like an interpersonal relationship and that brand loyalty is indicative of relationship strength. Instead, the Illinois researchers believe people treat brands as they treat themselves, leading users to feel more affected by brand failure instead of less.

"Because the brand is seen as a part of the self by virtue of being intimately tied to the self, failure on the part of the brand is experienced as a personal failure," reads the paper. "Therefore, in an effort to maintain a positive self-view, high SBC individuals react defensively to brand failure by evaluating the brand favorably despite its poor performance.

Perhaps this answers various questions for my bros regarding our gaming industry and related communities

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Hobo Elf said:
There can only be one.

even the methods of explaining the decline are subject to decline

in many ways psychology's quest for a complete body of knowledge is like trying to make a true rpg videogame

ChristofferC

Magister
I thought it was widely known that many people, especially women, define themselves by who they associate with.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Also it just occurred to me that videogame marketing is kinda like the milgram experiment except for determining quality

GO ON AND ENJOY THE GAME EXPERTS HAVE AGREED THAT IT IS INNOVATIVE

"I'm not really feeling it, it's like they took the original one and th-"

NOBODY WILL BLAME YOU FOR ENJOYING THE GAME BECAUSE IT HAS FIFTY AWARDS AND IS GAME OF THE DECADE

"Look I'm not having fun anymore and this is j-"

TO PROPERLY JUDGE THE GAME REQUIRES THAT YOU CONTINUE

Tigranes

Arcane
Funnily enough, there is existing literature over the last century on, say, something like confirmation bias and selective exposure theory that connects quite obviously into people that won't shut the hell up about how their console roxors - which could easily be extended into the decline in general.

"Because the brand is seen as a part of the self by virtue of being intimately tied to the self, failure on the part of the brand is experienced as a personal failure," reads the paper. "Therefore, in an effort to maintain a positive self-view, high SBC individuals react defensively to brand failure by evaluating the brand favorably despite its poor performance.

That's... fucking pathetic, but does appear to be true for many people. Mind control/hivemind at its finest. How can humans be anything other than a slave race when they can't do any better than this?

Awor Szurkrarz said:
Jesus fucking Christ, aliens everywhere.

I wonder if you realize just how true this statement is...

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
In other words, fanboys don't really like their stuff, they like themselves and see their stuffies as an extension of themselves?

I have said before that gamers often cheer for their favorite brands like football fans do for a team and so on

the moment you take on their favorite brand you become 'them', the enemy and outsider

the game series and community has effectively become a social clan that they are personally connected to surrounded by stronghold walls of 90%+ review scores

Satan

Educated
Yes, I had the same when I was a teenager, but I just grew up later on.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Hobo Elf said:
psychology

There can only be one.
You do realize that psychology is a science, right? Study and mapping of the brain, study of memory and other cognitive functions, chemical responses triggered by outside stimulus, etc.?

Vibalist

Arcane
I can't really talk for any of the Codexers other than myself, but I think this symptom infects the people of this place as much as everyone else. How many times haven't we bitched and moaned about some reviewer dismissing turn based combat as something obsolete, or spent page after page hurling shit at modern games and everything else that goes against our own tastes and things we identify with?
Just a thought.

Tigranes

Arcane
Psychology is different from / not entirely Freudian psychoanalysis. I don't really like a lot of psychology, but retards who think psychology = everyone dreams about penises are retarded.

Of course, it's an interesting psychological statement that people would rather reply with a smiley than think about stuff. It's like another type of decline. :smug:

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Vibalist said:
Just a thought.

man with that post and your old 'why is the codex the only place where' thread you're on a watching the watchers thing here aren't you

remember that generalising a fault to some ill-defined hivemind also has very little benefits for discussion

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Vibalist said:
I can't really talk for any of the Codexers other than myself, but I think this symptom infects the people of this place as much as everyone else. How many times haven't we bitched and moaned about some reviewer dismissing turn based combat as something obsolete,
It has more to do with the whole idea of "they used turn-based only because they had no tech to make it RT" being retarded and having no basis in reality than with us liking turn-based.

Renegen

Arcane
Vibalist said:
I can't really talk for any of the Codexers other than myself, but I think this symptom infects the people of this place as much as everyone else. How many times haven't we bitched and moaned about some reviewer dismissing turn based combat as something obsolete, or spent page after page hurling shit at modern games and everything else that goes against our own tastes and things we identify with?
Just a thought.

Some of it is true, sure. A better example is the hate of jRPGs or weeboo games. That hate is really irrational and not based on experience in many cases. But it's only true to an extent. To be able to challenge the status quo takes a lot of inner strength, and it puts many of us in here on a path to enjoy games based on their quality and not their brand.

I mean, do you think such a topic would be discussed on the Bioware boards or Bethesda boards? No, they are still too deep in the hallicunation. The fact this was even brought up or is interesting to us speaks about what the Codex values.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hey you giuze! Listen yoo guize!

It's only brand images tying themselves to your intimate SDK failures making you think that a brand new $2000 PC drawing a 1000W of power is more capable than a $180 Xbawx based on 6-year old, mobile versions of the same technology. Herpaderpa durr.

:thumbsup:

Actually, they do have a point when talking about morons who can't judge things objectively (so I guess 99% of the human race). Especially the part about re-writing history is pretty spot-on. For proof of this, just ask any retard who has ever bought any Apple product, which company made the first mp3 player or first smartphone.

Zomg

Arbiter
Genesis Does What Nintendon't? FUCK UYO

The knowledge of what "brands" do to people's heads has been marketing quasi-science for like a century or more and you had what is more-or-less the current understanding in the '40s

Vibalist

Arcane
sgc_meltdown said:
Vibalist said:
Just a thought.

man with that post and your old 'why is the codex the only place where' thread you're on a watching the watchers thing here aren't you

Nah. No agenda. Just asking some questions that I've thought about for a bit.

remember that generalising a fault to some ill-defined hivemind also has very little benefits for discussion

Sure. But I'm not trying to generalize. Hence why I started my post off by saying "I can't really speak for anyone other than myself".

Renegen said:
Some of it is true, sure. A better example is the hate of jRPGs or weeboo games. That hate is really irrational and not based on experience in many cases. But it's only true to an extent. To be able to challenge the status quo takes a lot of inner strength, and it puts many of us in here on a path to enjoy games based on their quality and not their brand.

I mean, do you think such a topic would be discussed on the Bioware boards or Bethesda boards? No, they are still too deep in the hallicunation. The fact this was even brought up or is interesting to us speaks about what the Codex values.

Good reply. And I never really meant to imply that people here are as stupid as they are in certain other places. I just think that this thing where we identify ourselves with whatever brand we happen to like goes a lot deeper than what might be obvious. We can all point at a bunch of 15 year old fanboys who spend their entire day furiously attacking the PS3 on a forum and go "so that's the type of people the article was talking about". But I think almost everyone is guilty of doing something along these lines, at least to a certain degree. I know I do it. And I think even the most intelligent people can get caught up in it. And in extension of that, I think that while this place is generally intelligent and holds opinions that are well thought out, it still does this.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I think the pitfall here is that many times it's difficult for most people to look critically at entertainment or luxury goods.

When their own experience associates something with good times, this source of feels good man is naturally seen as something to be protected and kept whole, and hence they get a lot more personally invested in another's negative perception of that same something.

therefore it doesn't matter if you have a good argument for why turning series X into a real time fps is a bad idea, it means you hate them having fun and since you've declared war it they're coming over to your camp to take a dump on your turn based totem and nostalgia and inability to move on from the past, etc etc marketing knows what it's doing in fact they're merely helping things along

If not, how is your game supposed to look good and have people buy it without making the older stuff look shit first?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Vibalist said:
I can't really talk for any of the Codexers other than myself, but I think this symptom infects the people of this place as much as everyone else. How many times haven't we bitched and moaned about some reviewer dismissing turn based combat as something obsolete,
It has more to do with the whole idea of "they used turn-based only because they had no tech to make it RT" being retarded and having no basis in reality than with us liking turn-based.

This. I'm tired of all the morons telling us that X-COM always wanted to be a FPS instead of a tactical squad based game. It's absolutely nonsensical and tech was not a limitation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom