Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

ThunderHorse

Novice
malko_sundervere said:
But, okay... Here's the catch. I played it some more, just to confirm my suspicions that the entire nightmare was offensively shit. And, the thing is...
I actually started enjoying it. I don't know if it was the adventuring or whatever, but there was SOMETHING in there gratifying enough to make me want to play more of it. I've been wandering around recovering Dragon shouts, and the combat is genuinely difficult on the highest difficulty setting - and not tedious difficult, either, as in, "the only way I'm going to survive this is if I chug this potion, poison him once, switch to sword, power attack twice, and then swing like hell."
I don't know... It's really not a game I can play for long bursts, but I found it kind of fun occasionally, and I'll probably play it some more today. I'd rate it, eh... maybe 5/10. It's exactly average. Maybe even a little less than average, but there's some sort of reality distorting magic that makes it genuinely fun. I'm not sure what justifies all of those fucking overbloated scores, but I $$have an idea$$.
I don't understand something. If I considered a game 5/10, I wouldn't consider it even fun enough to keep playing. So far, it's a pretty fun game. Mods will make it better.

Bruticis

ThunderHorse said:
I don't understand something. If I considered a game 5/10, I wouldn't consider it even fun enough to keep playing. So far, it's a pretty fun game. Mods will make it better.
And people like you are exactly why the review scales are so fucked up. Math, look into it. 5/10 = average. So let me guess, you only play games that are 11/10!!!

Skyrim can best be described as Risen but with less C&C and a better magic system. Bethduh has learned a couple of lessons from their... horrid... horrid... past. (Or maybe MCA's cum enlightened them?)

I don't give a shit what you think about that opinion, Cockdex, because frankly... well, Skyway is right when he says that most of you people are posers who wants "2 be col on teh internets, yo".

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Bruticis said:
ThunderHorse said:
And people like you are exactly why the review scales are so fucked up. Math, look into it. 5/10 = average. So let me guess, you only play games that are 11/10!!!

I would not give Dynasty/Samurai Warriors games a higher score then 5/10 yet I have fun playing them.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Stereotypical Villain said:
Skyrim can best be described as Risen but with less C&C and a better magic system. Bethduh has learned a couple of lessons from their... horrid... horrid... past. (Or maybe MCA's cum enlightened them?)

I don't give a shit what you think about that opinion, Cockdex, because frankly... well, Skyway is right when he says that most of you people are posers who wants "2 be col on teh internets, yo".

Derpity derp derp derp

Worst post of the year arlughlaruahgluahgluagh

Why don't you tell me more about how cool I want 2 be on the internets, yo. That's some sharp wit you have there sir

So anyway now that I have unloaded on some random guy, anyone care to tell me why one should play this instead of Morrowind

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Serious_Business said:
So anyway now that I have unloaded on some random guy, anyone care to tell me why one should play this instead of Morrowind

Just out of spite Bethesda has reintroduced the cliff racers and put them on steroids and made them the main focus of the game. That's got to be worth something.

ThunderHorse

Novice
Bruticis said:
ThunderHorse said:

Nah, it just takes more to hold my attention than it used to. Also, 11/10 is mathematically impossible. It's basic math.

Bruticis

ThunderHorse said:
Bruticis said:
ThunderHorse said:

Nah, it just takes more to hold my attention than it used to. Also, 11/10 is mathematically impossible. It's basic math.
Nothing gets by you, does it ace?
spinal_tap_but_it_goes_to_eleven.jpg

Vagiel

Augur
Serious_Business said:
Stereotypical Villain said:

Derpity derp derp derp

Worst post of the year arlughlaruahgluahgluagh

Why don't you tell me more about how cool I want 2 be on the internets, yo. That's some sharp wit you have there sir

Morrowind is banal shit boring dump down bastard child clone of daggerfall that of course has shit dungeons that arena did better but that was only a shit arena game that got promoted to full rpg.

The point is the codex wanted to hate skyrim with every thread of its existence, but when it turned out to be simply average the momentum has lead cool edgy guyz to over react and appear foolish.

Stabwound

Arcane
Trash said:
Serious_Business said:

Just out of spite Bethesda has reintroduced the cliff racers and put them on steroids and made them the main focus of the game. That's got to be worth something.
I've played almost 20 hours and haven't come across a single dragon yet. I'm not touching the main quest, and maybe I'm just lucky, but the dragons are thankfully not cliffracers 2.0 as I feared they would be.

agaetis

Novice
Serious_Business said:
anyone care to tell me why one should play this instead of Morrowind

well if you don't want to walk around aimlessly for hours, you should play skyrim. or if you want to actually have a combat system that works, play skyrim. morrowind is great, yeah, but.. i couldn't see myself ever playing it again. same with skyrim, after i 'beat' it.

90% of the "impressions" in this thread are from people who haven't played it yet, i'm sure. insulting the game doesn't qualify as a review guys, try actually bringing up issues with the game.

Captain Shrek

agaetis said:
Serious_Business said:

well if you don't want to walk around aimlessly for hours, you should play skyrim. or if you want to actually have a combat system that works, play skyrim. morrowind is great, yeah, but.. i couldn't see myself ever playing it again. same with skyrim, after i 'beat' it.

90% of the "impressions" in this thread are from people who haven't played it yet, i'm sure. insulting the game doesn't qualify as a review guys, try actually bringing up issues with the game.

This is a serious, businesslike question: What is so good about combat in Skyrim? Admittedly the combat in Morrowind was broken beyond repair. What makes Skyrim any special? How does it compare to, for example, Severance or Dark Messiah, which feature some of the best implementations of melee combat?

Black

Arcane
agaetis said:
insulting the game doesn't qualify as a review guys, try actually bringing up issues with the game.

That's funny, because the video game "reviewers" decided to cum on skyrim, called it "reviews" and people believed them.
Yet the other side of the same coin isn't acceptable.

Captain Shrek said:
How does it compare to, for example, Severance or Dark Messiah, which feature some of the best implementations of melee combat?

It doesn't. Combat in Skyrim is pretty much the same as in Oblivion, except for the dual wielding weapons/spells system which allows for a tiny bit more creativity. AI is exactly the same too, so you can still get them stuck somewhere and stare at you while you shoot them in the face.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Idiot.

Black said:
agaetis said:
insulting the game doesn't qualify as a review guys, try actually bringing up issues with the game.

That's funny, because the video game "reviewers" decided to cum on skyrim, called it "reviews" and people believed them.

Not if you do not want to have the same credibility as game 'journalism'.

agaetis

Novice
Black said:
agaetis said:

are we talking about magazine reviewers? of course not, they're getting money for good reviews, that's obvious. i wasn't talking about them. there's plenty of sites that are critical, without the simple insults without explanations.

This is a serious, businesslike question: What is so good about combat in Skyrim? Admittedly the combat in Morrowind was broken beyond repair. What makes Skyrim any special? How does it compare to, for example, Severance or Dark Messiah, which feature some of the best implementations of melee combat?

i never said it was good, i just said it actually worked :P

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Captain Shrek said:
agaetis said:
Serious_Business said:

It's like Dark Messiah without the kicking. Mostly played a mage though so I haven't delved into it very deeply.

About 8 hours in and here are my impressions:

- As mentioned, a fucking disgusting UI for accessing inventory and assigning spells. Probably the worst ever.

- Boring fed-ex quests, linear copypasta dungeons with the same "puzzles" at the end of each one

- All the main quests are the same: enter ruin, take linear path to big room, fight boss monster, get shout

- Combat is actually better executed than it was in Oblivion, and is overall more challenging (playing on master)

- Character models/animations suck as usual. Still using the same stupid jump animation, where you bend your knees and magically float up into the air

- Exploration feels a little better than Oblivion for some reason, even though the environments are bland/empty

Overall, meh. Not the flaming piece of shit thrown through your window at 3:00 AM kind of bad, but mediocre.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Multidirectional said:
Mastermind said:
It's like Dark Messiah without the kicking.

Bullshit. If you'd add kicking to Skyrim's combat it still wouldn't come close to Dark Messiah.

What does Dark Messiah have that's so great other than the kicking?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
More thoughts: dungeons are linear but still not copy-pasted, probably because they aren't built out of a set of predefined rooms like in Oblivion and Morrowind. Some are pretty cool and varied, and others are boring, but I guess you can't expect every cave or mine to be extremely exciting.

Too much reliance on bandits etc. as enemies. The monsters and stuff you find are really cool, which is why it's such a shame you almost never see them (except the undead, which are pretty common). The "10x more soldiers and bandits than civilians" thing is still as jarring as ever. Considering how many thriving cities there are in Skyrim, it doesn't make much sense for there to be so many outlaws.

Most dungeons have a side-quest or "misc" quest in them. It's nothing special, but gives much better context for those locations than "a wretched den of evil" or whatever. I like having some minor character interaction or even just some named NPCs with a bit of background to fight instead of just ancient ruins filled with untold treasures for no particular reason, and all the ruins etc. you might find are generally populated with monsters and stuff, so at least it makes sense that treasure there would be unclaimed.

Quests haven't really improved much. I have yet to really get into any of the guild or main story stuff, but the ones I've done haven't been all that special so far. Nothing offensive outright, but this isn't exactly Arcanum here. However, one thing the game does a very good job of is giving you new things to do. There are random encounters you can have which start side-quests, you'll often witness events when visiting locations which kickstart quests, etc. I have tons of stuff in my journal after playing for around 10 hours, and it'd probably take twice as long to get through it - yet that's likely less than 10% of what the game has to offer. You're at least never going to run into a situation where you have nothing to do or no clear direction.

Exploration is still fun and rewarding. Anyone who says Skyrim is smaller than Oblivion is outright wrong - if anything it's bigger, and those locations you do find are far more interesting than the copy-paste dungeons of that game. There are fewer random locations you'll come across, but frankly if it means much better quality of content then I don't mind in the least.

Also, anyone come across a Wispmother yet? I found one at like level 4 and had a pretty tough time with it. Really cool how it lured me off the beaten path with one of its wisps only to severely kick my ass after leading me into the woods. Those kinds of memorable encounters are what were significantly lacking from previous Bethesda games.

MetalCraze said:
As for mainstream - I gladly played through GTA4 (which nonetheless was worse than VC and SA) and GTA is not just some mainstream, it's even more MAJESTIC. And I'm certainly looking forward to GTA5 IF they will bring back silliness of SA back into it.
Fucking popamole bullshit, no jetpacks, no planes, no tanks, fewer guns, tiny game world, shitty plot with stupid characters and dissonance between in-game actions and the story, stupid jokes about gay people and sex, "omg so edgy" cocaine use in every fucking cutscene, DLC whoring that reused all the same stuff and only added a few guns and buildings, boring and repetitive challenge missions like races and fetch quests, fake difficulty crap like enemies randomly spawning behind you and cars scripted to block the road at certain times you can't possibly avoid the first time playing, etc. Game is fucking decline incarnate and you're an idiot for even playing it. Go fap to that fat faggot Roman you fucking cocksucker.

Mastermind said:
What does Dark Messiah have that's so great other than the kicking?

Are you serious? Kicking is the only thing you found in Dark Messiah that makes it's combat better than Skyrim's? Please tell me you haven't actually played it. How about the actual feel of hitting someone, the timing of the attacks, better environmental interaction like using stuff around you to kill or knock back enemies, the actuall challenge? The fun?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Bruticis said:
I hate to agree with a retarded troll but how the hell is GTA fun to anyone? I don't get the appeal at all. You run around and steal cars and shoot people, over and over and over again (oh right, the mini games). I've tried to get into them, they seem interesting at first but I end up bored within an hour.

Lulzy missions where you tend to do over the top hollywood stuff (at least in VC and SA)
I don't play a game for a city with respawns but it's fun to shoot a few civies and cops on the way to the mission area. And in GTA4 thanks to numerous physical objects chases were quite fun too with all the delicious destruction and debris with bodies flying around

Multidirectional said:
Are you serious? Kicking is the only thing you found in Dark Messiah that makes it's combat better than Skyrim's? Please tell me you haven't actually played it. How about the actual feel of hitting someone, the timing of the attacks, better environmental interaction like using stuff around you to kill or knock back enemies, the actuall challenge? The fun?

Dude - haven't you heard? TES is for sophisticated gamers. Dodging, blocking attacks and using environment coupled with good animations and very smooth feel of combat is for retards. Twitching LMB until shit dies is truly majestic.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Sounds like:

Skyrim = Morrowind + Oblivion.

So, a medicore/ok Elder Scrolls game. Sounds fine to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom