Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Level Scaling in Skyrim: Post Your Stories

Gord

Arcane
Wasn't that Francescos mod? I never used OOO but I thought it removed scaling completely, as opposed to Fran's which only reduced it to a much more bearable level.

Also, you should have to put some thoughts into how you level your char in every non-popamole system.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't understand how people are managing to gimp themselves. Destruction is the only direct combat skill I've been raising, along with a shitton of other skills of which only conjuration helps add to damage (and which is lagging far behind anyway) and the game has been getting easier for me, not harder. Both enchanting and smithing should be increasing your damage output unless you're a pure spellcaster anyway.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Mastermind said:
I don't understand how people are managing to gimp themselves. Destruction is the only direct combat skill I've been raising, along with a shitton of other skills of which only conjuration helps add to damage (and which is lagging far behind anyway) and the game has been getting easier for me, not harder. Both enchanting and smithing should be increasing your damage output unless you're a pure spellcaster anyway.

I got better armor than I could possibly smith (excepting perhaps dragonscale at 100 smithing) from a quest. There are no skill level requirements to improve items either, so if you find a piece of glass armor, you can just buy an ingot and improve it even with a smithing skill of 1. Same deal with enchanting. Unless you go all-in and burn through thousands of gold to raise your enchanting skill, the enchantments you find on world drops are usually stronger than what you could make on your own with a grand soul gem.

If I could reallocate the points I got in enchanting/alchemy/smithing into archery/light armor/one-handed, I'd be able to pick up more of the +20% damage/defense perks which would give me a net gain in damage/survivability over what my weapon/armor improvements/enchantments have given me.

I haven't actually used alchemy much either except as a way of burning through a ton of ingredients. I could've sold the ingredients and just bought the stuff I wanted instead. Gold is pretty much a non-issue for me at this point. The only potions I use are healing potions. I may as well buy them, since I'm lugging around a ton of shit I can't sell because shopkeepers run out of gold. Of course, I could go into the speech tree to unlock the perk that gives shopkeepers extra gold. But why? It's just more points sunk into not making me survive combat.

Bulba

Learned
Ulminati said:
Mastermind said:

I got better armor than I could possibly smith (excepting perhaps dragonscale at 100 smithing) from a quest. There are no skill level requirements to improve items either, so if you find a piece of glass armor, you can just buy an ingot and improve it even with a smithing skill of 1. Same deal with enchanting. Unless you go all-in and burn through thousands of gold to raise your enchanting skill, the enchantments you find on world drops are usually stronger than what you could make on your own with a grand soul gem.

If I could reallocate the points I got in enchanting/alchemy/smithing into archery/light armor/one-handed, I'd be able to pick up more of the +20% damage/defense perks which would give me a net gain in damage/survivability over what my weapon/armor improvements/enchantments have given me.

I haven't actually used alchemy much either except as a way of burning through a ton of ingredients. I could've sold the ingredients and just bought the stuff I wanted instead. Gold is pretty much a non-issue for me at this point. The only potions I use are healing potions. I may as well buy them, since I'm lugging around a ton of shit I can't sell because shopkeepers run out of gold. Of course, I could go into the speech tree to unlock the perk that gives shopkeepers extra gold. But why? It's just more points sunk into not making me survive combat.

There is a massive difference between smithing at lvl 1 and 60. at lvl 1 you can improve lets say ork armour to fine (by2-3 points), while at 60 you can improve magic armour to executive (wich makes 82 arm to 130 + enchantment)

Level skaling is crap. at lvl 25 the most annoying enemies are mages, than archers. Unfortunately game developers fucked up some shield skills that dont work like the one wich gives you damage immunity from arrows while shielding (very unfair waste of a perk point) and disarm chance from shield bashing (alsow unfair waste). dragons are a complete joke - a mage is 50 times deadlier + he/she has the same amopunt of health WAF&??

attackfighter

Magister
I'm finding it annoying playing as a pure mage. I'm level 20 or so and all of the enemies take forever to kill, just like in Oblivion.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
attackfighter said:
I'm finding it annoying playing as a pure mage. I'm level 20 or so and all of the enemies take forever to kill, just like in Oblivion.

The enemies were a breeze to kill as a pure mage in Oblivion. Honestly, I'm starting to think the codex has become too popamole for beth games. :lol:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Bulba said:
Level skaling is crap. at lvl 25 the most annoying enemies are mages, than archers. Unfortunately game developers fucked up some shield skills that dont work like the one wich gives you damage immunity from arrows while shielding (very unfair waste of a perk point) and disarm chance from shield bashing (alsow unfair waste). dragons are a complete joke - a mage is 50 times deadlier + he/she has the same amopunt of health WAF&??

Melee is stronger in the long run from what i hear. alchemy + armorer + enchanting provide enormous boosts. Not to mention weapon perks go up to +100% damage whereas destruction only goes up to 50 or 40, cannot be improved by enchantments and cannot be boosted by armorer.

attackfighter

Magister
Mastermind said:
attackfighter said:

The enemies were a breeze to kill as a pure mage in Oblivion. Honestly, I'm starting to think the codex has become too popamole for beth games. :lol:

I played as a fighter in Oblivion and as I levelled up I noticed that the battles were becoming increasingly longer. It was because enemy health increased faster than my damage potential could. By the time I quit the fights were easily lasting whole minutes.

baronjohn

Cipher
Surf Solar said:
going into azuras stone to kill that fucker in there. There are Daedra mages in there who kill me from afar whithout me even seeing them, even with all protection spells up. Or the final boss in the labyrinthian (the quest to retrieve magus' staff) onehit kills me even on very easy - I can't even scratch him.

It's pretty derpy and I consider starting up all over again.
Wow, decline of rpgcodex right here.

Summon a storm atronach (you should have a few scrolls). The labyrinthian boss can't damage him and will waste all his magicka on him, then just sit there and throw shock spells at him (which also drain magicka).

Your game wasn't ruined by level scaling. You just need to think about tactics a bit more.

attackfighter

Magister
I beat the Labyrinthian boss by drinking potion of storm resistance + wearing armour of lightning protection and then continually dual casting the flamethrower spell for 5 minutes.

Had to drink 10 or so magicka potions in the process...

Summon a storm atronach (you should have a few scrolls). The labyrinthian boss can't damage him and will waste all his magicka on him, then just sit there and throw shock spells at him (which also drain magicka).

Are you sure this works? during my fight with him I summoned a flame astronarch to try and speed things up, but it just got mind controlled or something and turned on me... ( and yeah I'm sure I didn't friendly fire upon him by accident)

Xi

Arcane
Azarkon said:

I think it's handled much better. There are some cases where it is laughable, but then you go too far out and get utterly destroyed, or one shot, and you have to scratch your head still. Some places are just higher level, while others are designed to scale with the player directly. I suppose there's enough variety to make it interesting, and to not break the immershun...

baronjohn

Cipher
attackfighter said:
I beat the Labyrinthian boss by drinking potion of storm resistance + wearing armour of lightning protection and then continually dual casting the flamethrower spell for 5 minutes.

Had to drink 10 or so magicka potions in the process...

Are you sure this works? during my fight with him I summoned a flame astronarch to try and speed things up, but it just got mind controlled or something and turned on me... ( and yeah I'm sure I didn't friendly fire upon him by accident)
He summons his own right at the start iirc. I don't he can mind control them.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I had none of these scrolls or potions with me by that time and wasn't in the mood to backpedal all the way out of the dungeon AGAIN. I eventually made it by abusing popamole tactics until that timestop shout was recharged so I could hit that fella a bit faster, together with my fire atronarch.

Korgan

Arbiter
I'm tired of this bullshit too. Dropping Skyrim for a year, I'll come back with an OOO/MMM-like mod, a new rig for cool grafix and whatever other enhancements will be done at that time.

Monocause

Arcane
Noticed a p. fucked up thing. Seems skill increases are directly tied to your damage output. I've been playing on master difficulty and got fucked because I levelled up mostly by using non-combat skills while damage skills lagged behind. Started again on adept instead of master and noticed that both melee and destruction level quicker.

As it is now I think master difficulty is unplayable - or rather simply too much of a hindrance - in the long run.

Mayday

Augur
So that troll on the way to Hrothgar made me change the difficulty back to expert. Fucker's invincible or what?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Fucker restores health like a mofo. He's apparantly somewhat weak against fire but after getting my ass handed four times I decided to just sneak around him. I'll be back for him. One day.

Azarkon

Arcane
At higher levels, Destruction Magic sucks in damage output, mostly because there's no scaling with items like there is with physical damage.

Not sure about Conjuration, but it has to be the easiest way to cheese through the game (or at least the scaled parts of the game) since Conjuration levels slower than slugs on ice if all you cast are monster summons, meaning you'll basically never level if that's the way you fight. I literally had to Soul Trap abuse to get Conjuration to any respectable level.

And if you do go the pure mage route, I recommend getting Conjuration to 100 and letting all your other skills stay crap. Then you can summon two Dremora Lords and lol as they rip through anything and everything (except dragons; you have to summon storm atronarchs for those).

SoupNazi

the trolls fall down easily to any stamina-leeching weapon/spell once you learn to dodge

it's like a boss in a console game - slash the fucker once, back off quickly as he swings at you twice haplessly then he's on cooldown, slash him again, repeat

make sure to avoid the one attack when he doesn't get cooldown afterwards

kill any troll this way on lvl6 easily without even getting hurt (seeing as it's one hit kill for me)

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I think Illusion is better than Conjuration. 90 Illusion lets you calm/frenzy every enemy in the game. You can clear every dungeon by letting enemies kill each other, or just calm them all.

Master destruction spells are nothing to sneeze at, though, if you can cast them with 0 mana cost.

Azarkon

Arcane
The problem with that approach is when you need to kill something that outclasses everything around it. Like the dragon priests.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Azarkon said:
The problem with that approach is when you need to kill something that outclasses everything around it. Like the dragon priests.
In that case, storm/frost/flame atronach suffices. The dragon priests seem to merely endlessly spam elemental spells from a staff.

kris

Arcane
crufty said:
I really am not sure how level scaling works. Went into a tomb...lots of low level creatures and weak loot. Then, a hard boss.

Don't mind scaled bosses.

Just this. I breezed through a dungeon and then i met the boss. He had a magic that destroyed my weapon and killed me in two hits, while I needed maybe 50 hits on him. Frustration became so big that I cranked down the difficult rating. Only way I otherwise could have defeated him would have been to run around a table and put in hits now and then. That would probably have taken me 40 minutes.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
attackfighter said:
Mastermind said:
attackfighter said:

I played as a fighter in Oblivion and as I levelled up I noticed that the battles were becoming increasingly longer. It was because enemy health increased faster than my damage potential could. By the time I quit the fights were easily lasting whole minutes.

Not if you used good enchanted weapons. Only archery was irredeemably shitty in late oblivion.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Azarkon said:
Not sure about Conjuration, but it has to be the easiest way to cheese through the game (or at least the scaled parts of the game) since Conjuration levels slower than slugs on ice if all you cast are monster summons, meaning you'll basically never level if that's the way you fight. I literally had to Soul Trap abuse to get Conjuration to any respectable level.

My destructions' 65. My conjuration's 45. I didn't train either one, and all i use conjuration for are monster summons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom