Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guilds in Skyrim.

attackfighter

Magister
Gord said:
attackfighter said:
The Thief guild questline starts you off with an assignment that keeps in line with the premise of a thief guild, but afterwards you're sent off to do EPIC hollywood stunts like sneak into a compound, rob the safe of the compound and then burn it to hell. Totally EPIC!!!!

I've recently started to notice disturbingly low bars for calling something "epic" with some people.

Well duh. Using epic as a derogatory term started because the word was being so overused in gaming culture. Retarded kids making youtube videos about their shitty Halo killing sprees or whatever might title them "EPIC Halo Ownage". Gaming media brought us such gems as this. Now I use the word to describe shitty features that retarded kids and gaming media people would give unwarrented praise to.

Peter

Arcane
attackfighter said:
Gaming media brought us such gems as this.

I knew what you were linking and yet I clicked on the link, knowing that it would only bring :x to my heart.

So then why did I click?

Gerrard

Arcane
I killed the Dark Brotherhood bitch only to find out she was their leader.
That was so retarded.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
attackfighter said:
The Thief guild questline starts you off with an assignment that keeps in line with the premise of a thief guild, but afterwards you're sent off to do EPIC hollywood stunts like sneak into a compound, rob the safe of the compound and then burn it to hell. Totally EPIC!!!!
That actually sounds cool.

attackfighter

Magister
Dicksmoker said:
attackfighter said:
That actually sounds cool.

Weren't you the one with a signature quote saying you didn't give a shit about gameplay and only cared about story? Whatever, if you want a similarly awesome super commando mission to the one mentioned above, I recommend you play Fallout 3. It has a quest where you arm a nuclear bomb in a town called Megaton as part of initiation into the elite upper crusts of post apocalyptic Washington DC. After arming the inconspicous bomb you then sit atop a balcony with the leader of said society as he mentions how ugly he considers Megaton to be. He hands you the detonator, which upon detonation treats you to an awe-inspiring conclusion as a mushroom cloud slowly forms in the distance. It is about on par with what you would consider cool.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
attackfighter said:

Meh, that wasn't epic. That was fairly boring. The guards were dumb hicks, the sneaking wasn't too exciting, and to add insult to injury you don't even burn the compound to hell, you only burn a couple of (conveniently unguarded) bee hives.

Erzherzog

Magister
Yea, not sure how the first few missions of the Thieves Guild could be considered trying too hard, arson is not particularly EPIC.

It's just that there was no reward for sneaking well, there's no reward for bloodless theft. You could even kill the guy you're stealing from.

attackfighter

Magister
Well, sneaking into a compound by itself isn't a bad premise I suppose, my problem is more about how the quest givers play it up. The main guy starts off by patting you on the head for completing your first formal task, then he goes on to mention your mysterious "next task" as the other guy lets out a "*gasp*, you couldn't possibly mean?! But even [our best thief] hasn't been able to complete it!" and then the first guy gravely continues to speak; insisting that you truly are ready since you completed your first quest (which was also flawed btw) without a hitch (ignoring the fact that the first quest had nothing to do with thieving and thus wouldn't have given them an indication of your skills as a thief). It's just so cliche, that's why compare it to hollywood writing. And the EPICness stems from how it panders to the players ego by playing itself up so much.

Also, I should mention the opening quest (spoiler warning obviously) since it was also bad. It sends you out to collect extortion money from every single shop owner in town, despite the fact that everything up till that point has been exemplifying how weak and declined the guild has been. How are they extorting EVERY shop owner when they're supposedly on their last legs? COuldn't the shop owners unite and use their combined influence to resist the extortion? And what about the guards? The guards all say they hate the guild and threaten you not to join it, so it's not like they're corrupt and on the guild's payroll or anything. And the mission structure itself is derpy as fuck. When it was first assigned I figured it would be a perfect opportunity for some open ended gameplay; maybe I could intimidate the businesses face to face, maybe I could go through their possesions and find some black mail or maybe I could simply pickpocket the money. BUt no, instead of having some creativity with the quest design they simply tell you of 2 pre-set options to acquire the money before hand. It's jsut shitty, like a lot of the quests in the game.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
attackfighter said:
Weren't you the one with a signature quote saying you didn't give a shit about gameplay and only cared about story?
Nope.

Whatever, if you want a similarly awesome super commando mission to the one mentioned above, I recommend you play Fallout 3. It has a quest where you arm a nuclear bomb in a town called Megaton as part of initiation into the elite upper crusts of post apocalyptic Washington DC. After arming the inconspicous bomb you then sit atop a balcony with the leader of said society as he mentions how ugly he considers Megaton to be. He hands you the detonator, which upon detonation treats you to an awe-inspiring conclusion as a mushroom cloud slowly forms in the distance. It is about on par with what you would consider cool.
You're not funny and you're not clever. Go ahead and keep on pretending that you actually ridiculed me instead of just coming up with a stupid strawman. Oh look you just wrote a description of the Megaton quest, time to pat yourself on the back and congratulate your biting wit.

Erzherzog

Magister
On the first point, I'll agree that the game strokes the players ego for completing a relatively simple task.

I'll also agree that the missions offer too few options for tasks seemingly begging for multiple paths. What's stranger is that you'd think with the randomly generated quests where you re-write companies books, still personal effects, etc. would do a much better job of intimidating the local shopkeepers than the out and out thuggery and racketeering.

I get that Skyrim's Thieves Guild is supposed to be more of an Al Capone gang (or the Camonna Tong) rather than a build up to a heist in Oblivion or Robin Hood's Gentleman Jim Stacey's band of merry thieves in Morrowind. It's just that...the main questline is not consistent with that identity. Poorly designed.

Drakron

Arcane
Well I did the first quest of the Bard's Collage and it seems a simple Fetch quest ... it seems.

So I get to the Tomb looking for the poem and there is a ghost and I say "well, guess I have the bard's ghost as a guide ... that is nice" but there is also a claw and I guess "well its just there to open the door to the tomb.

Wrong.

I found the poem and then trying to get out the ghost opens a door that was magically locked, I have to follow (no way to get back the way I come) and there it is, a puzzle door and then ...

I get inside the King's Tomb, the Ghost then starts to talk crap to King Olaf and then the Draugr start rising from their seats and I think "oh great, he pissed off the undead and now I have to deal with them" but the Ghost can actually hit them so here I was encumbered and fighting Restless Draugr who were not shy of using Frost spells on me but at least the Ghost can more that pull his own weight in the fight and when they ended comes King Olaf himself ... with a Ebony Axe, thankfully Ghost got him distracted and we managed to kill him and I finally got out of that place with a ebony axe as thanks.

So its over?

Nope, gone back and the book was damaged so we have to fill in the parts, you get 3 choices on filling the two missing verses, its then played out at the court were I believe it affects your later reward.

Also I did the Mad God quest and got Waberjack (that is kinda of a fun quest since its kinda of a puzzle quest) and on my way back from the tomb a Madwomen runs up to me and asks me to use it on her, turned her into a rabbit ... a bit of a odd thing.

Luzur

Good Sir
there are guilds in Skyrim? i have only sofar found the Legion and Companions joinable.

i was expecting more though, so i prob will encounter more as i travel onwards.

Vibalist

Arcane
One of the main reasons I wont be buying, or playing, Skyrim is the lack of overlapping guild quests. It's simply a deal breaker for me. I was hoping (though in no way expecting) for a Morrowind-like system where faction quests would overlap and characters wouldn't be able to join every guild in the same playthrough, but no such luck I guess. It was probably a pretty stupid thing to hope for anyway.

Monocause

Arcane
Come now, IIRC the only quest conflict was the thieves guild versus fighters guild and considering how meek was the conflict compared to others that should have been there it seemed like a leftover, as if they intended to make conflicting questlines a standard but changed their mind and the codebook quest remained for some reason. Besides it was easy to bypass that and still climb to the top of both guilds.

MW didn't restrict you nearly enough; you could join the mages guild and become a Telvanni all the same. The most secretive and paranoid house took you in even if you were a high-ranking member of opposing factions. You could join the tribunal temple and the imperial cult at the same time.

Overlapping guild quests wouldn't make much sense in Skyrim anyway. The "guilds" aren't really guilds. They are based in single towns/cities and work from there; you're thinking too much in terms of previous TES games. Skyrim is a wild region without that much infrastructure; forget about guilds being well organised institutions with chapters in every major settlement.

I did read that DB questline clashes with the legion one; can't confirm yet though.

deuxhero

Arcane
You forgot the great houses and a few Telvanni/Mage's guild quests, plus disposition modifiers based on who you belong to and rank.

Drakron

Arcane
deuxhero said:
You forgot the great houses and a few Telvanni/Mage's guild quests, plus disposition modifiers based on who you belong to and rank.

The Great Houses are exclusive, pick one and you are locked on it so its pointless to argue about "overlapping" since it can never happen.

Also there were very few Mage Guild quests that touched on House Telvanni and so you could always ignore them.

In Morrowind it was a question of just moving on and not take the quests that sets you up against a Guild you belong to since there were enough quests for promotion to the highest rank meaning the only choice you were presented that you were stuck was what Great House would you join.

And Skyrim does that with the Imperial Legion and the Stormcloaks, if you pick one then the other is close to you.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Just out of curiosity why would anyone want to be joining the people who were going to cut off your head?

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
It was a honest mistake. Stuff like that can happen. The empire fights for the greater good.
If Skyrim would be allowed to become independent it's bad for all of Tamriel... well the aryan human races at least.

Drakron

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
Just out of curiosity why would anyone want to be joining the people who were going to cut off your head?

1)Because anyone NOT a Nord will be a second class citizen at best under Ulfric Stormcloak.

2)Because in case you have not been following events, the Aldmeri Dominion not only control Summerset Islands and Valenwood but also conquered Elsweyr AND Hammerfell (or parts of it) were Morrowind itself suffered a tiny incident were the Ministry of Truth fallen into Vivec causing Red Mountain to erupt AND was invaded by Black March ... not exactly trilled with the notion of knocking out Skyrim out of the Empire as things are.

3)Lets me say this, if you go with Stormcloak one of the missions is taking control over Whiterun and the Jarl there made me a Thane.

I would say this is a question were if you think the Legion was bad because they were just going to execute you, its not as the "freedom fighters" are better ... dont get me wrong, its not like the Empire is all roses but if you are playing as anything but a Nord (or a Almer) you have pretty good reasons to stick with the Empire.

hanssolo

Educated
Just not-finished the Clavicus Vile questline. Your choice of reward is shitty axe, shitty Masque or don't finish the quest and have Barbas the immortal super-mutt as your permanent companion.

attackfighter

Magister
Looks like Azura has claimed me as her 'chosen one' as well. So far that's the third independant group that's proclaimed me their chosen one. Those groups are:
Dragon Born order
Psijic order
Azura' followers

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
They technicly didn't wanted to kill you, just took care of witness who got in the wrong place and time, their first mission is delightful suicidal, You're to take Fort full of bandits alone. :smug: Factions in Skyrim are not so sweet an kandy like in Oblivion. Also there is a book how the Ulfric the Stormfagot took town ruled by natives and put everybody to sword... The natives were not J... I means Falmer Elves but local humans including Nordics... I mean Nords. I bet his rebelion is backed by Thalmor.

Thalmor controlls Summerset Island, Walenwood, Elswere, Argonia and Half of Hamerfell... It's half of an Empire and only prosperous parts left are Highrock and Skyrim. Without Empire support Thalmor will take Skyrim with ease. And Proud A... I mean Human race will be slaves to Elves once more. :lol:

Captain Shrek

Drakron said:
Well I did the first quest of the Bard's Collage and it seems a simple Fetch quest ... it seems.

So I get to the Tomb looking for the poem and there is a ghost and I say "well, guess I have the bard's ghost as a guide ... that is nice" but there is also a claw and I guess "well its just there to open the door to the tomb.

Wrong.

I found the poem and then trying to get out the ghost opens a door that was magically locked, I have to follow (no way to get back the way I come) and there it is, a puzzle door and then ...

I get inside the King's Tomb, the Ghost then starts to talk crap to King Olaf and then the Draugr start rising from their seats and I think "oh great, he pissed off the undead and now I have to deal with them" but the Ghost can actually hit them so here I was encumbered and fighting Restless Draugr who were not shy of using Frost spells on me but at least the Ghost can more that pull his own weight in the fight and when they ended comes King Olaf himself ... with a Ebony Axe, thankfully Ghost got him distracted and we managed to kill him and I finally got out of that place with a ebony axe as thanks.

So its over?

Nope, gone back and the book was damaged so we have to fill in the parts, you get 3 choices on filling the two missing verses, its then played out at the court were I believe it affects your later reward.

Also I did the Mad God quest and got Waberjack (that is kinda of a fun quest since its kinda of a puzzle quest) and on my way back from the tomb a Madwomen runs up to me and asks me to use it on her, turned her into a rabbit ... a bit of a odd thing.

This actually is more cool than you realize. At the very start of the game there are some books you get to read (and later too), about Olaf and the Dragon. It mentions this poet in passing. After reading it, I actually thought which of the versions was accurate but hadn't been to the bard's college yet... So. Next time FUCKING SPOILER TAG your spoilers.

.Sigurd

Educated
Commissar Draco said:
They technicly didn't wanted to kill you, just took care of witness who got in the wrong place and time, their first mission is delightful suicidal, You're to take Fort full of bandits alone. :smug: Factions in Skyrim are not so sweet an kandy like in Oblivion. Also there is a book how the Ulfric the Stormfagot took town ruled by natives and put everybody to sword... The natives were not J... I means Falmer Elves but local humans including Nordics... I mean Nords. I bet his rebelion is backed by Thalmor.

Thalmor controlls Summerset Island, Walenwood, Elswere, Argonia and Half of Hamerfell... It's half of an Empire and only prosperous parts left are Highrock and Skyrim. Without Empire support Thalmor will take Skyrim with ease. And Proud A... I mean Human race will be slaves to Elves once more. :lol:
The Thalmor have Black Marsh? Are you sure? So far I know Black Marsh invaded Morrowind after the Ministry of Truth came crashing down on Vivec and became an independent kingdom

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom