Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How is Skyrim's main quest line

Gord

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
"R" to unlock in the Shouts menu. Yes, it's unintuitive.

Ah! Thanks a lot. :salute:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Admiral jimbob said:
So far, the main quest is alright; it's far more story-heavy than Oblivion's, and the story is, well, better. Or potentially better. Hard to see how it's going to turn out - I get the sad feeling Alduin's just going to end up being an evil dragon king of no divine origin and you'll kick his ass and go home - but it's so far pretty cool from a lore nerd point of view. It's annoyingly pretty necessary to follow it for the sake of the dragon shouts, playing through the game so far without full force push would be pretty damn painful.
So you're saying that the combat and the encounter design is balanced in such a way that you're basically expected to have shouts?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Dicksmoker said:
Admiral jimbob said:
So far, the main quest is alright; it's far more story-heavy than Oblivion's, and the story is, well, better. Or potentially better. Hard to see how it's going to turn out - I get the sad feeling Alduin's just going to end up being an evil dragon king of no divine origin and you'll kick his ass and go home - but it's so far pretty cool from a lore nerd point of view. It's annoyingly pretty necessary to follow it for the sake of the dragon shouts, playing through the game so far without full force push would be pretty damn painful.
So you're saying that the combat and the encounter design is balanced in such a way that you're basically expected to have shouts?

You can definately play through the game without. But the shouts are *really* useful. Unrelenting force (which you get from the main quest) is super-handy in clearing some space if you're a mage/archer about to get faceraped. Heck, even melee types can use it to get a few free power attacks in on a paticularly tough boss. Aura whisper is handy if you're a rogue to spot corners. Dragonrend makes random dragon fights much less tedious (though also less majestic). There are a few "puzzles" that expect you to have whirlwind sprint, but there are ways to cheese past them without.

That said. High restoration, heal other and Lydia in full ebony gear works pretty well for me. Like a sexier version of the dremora summoning rod that also helps me carry loot.

Kaol

Educated
I thought the main quest was incredibly bad to be honest.

There arnt any plot twists, you just keep killling dragons (which are less powerful than a bear) . I wish there was a different main quest with a better plot. Shouts make an easy game even easier.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Majestic47 said:
I gained the Golden Claw quest by accident actually. I did not pay attention to the main quest and decided to explore that towering ruins over Rivertown. The moment I stepped in...GOLDEN CLAW QUEST ADDED - wtf?

I just ran along with it and gained a Dragonshout at the end of it. When resumed main quest I said something like 'I completed your shit task already' to the quest NPC. It was quite funny.

Yeah. I picked up the quest to regain the claw from the merchant in River Run and, since I was expecting a crap low-level reward for its simple return, just pushed on through to the end of the dungeon when the Dunmer who stole the claw gabbed about the treasure. Was kind of surprised when it all tied back into the main quest later...though I like that they've added some dialogue that acknowledges preemptive quest completion this time out.

Can't speak to the quality of the main quest, really, because I've actually been having a lot of fun running around and exploring. I laid off of it after visiting the Greybeards, though I'll probably get back to it now that I've hit level twenty-five and the level scaling is making for somewhat more dynamic/challenging combat.

Luzur

Good Sir
yesterday night a encountered a dragon that was attacking a cave bear some hills away outside Solitude.

by the time i got there the bear had taken the dragons HP down by half and the dragon took flight as i got closer and the bear turned on me.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Not sure about main quest (just started) but quests in Markarth are pretty decent.

Also, Solitude spoiler:
the fucking Wolf Queen is in the game.

Luzur

Good Sir
abnaxus said:
Not sure about main quest (just started) but quests in Markarth are pretty decent.

Also, Solitude spoiler:
the fucking Wolf Queen is in the game.

well, Bethesda just loves throwing in all the cool stuff like that for that epic feeling.

Drakron

Arcane
To be fair a bunch of retarded Necromancers were trying to summon her, thankfully we dont see her in her full glory.

MCA
Commissar Draco said:
They also seems to destroy my favorite Kingdom Orsinium, also some articles/books claim Empire has ben disolved and others claim the oposite. :retarded:

Why the :retarded:? Bethesda lore (prior to Oblivion) is full of different POVs.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Drakron said:
To be fair a bunch of retarded Necromancers were trying to summon her, thankfully we dont see her in her full glory.
Yeah, so far, I have to say that (lore-wise) they've done the MAJESTIC shit right. Even the Psijic Order stuff that people are complaining about - you're emphatically just a useful tool to them, they don't even pretend otherwise. I was terrified that Ysgramor would come into the Companions questline, but no, what the fuck does he care?

If this Elder Scroll turns out to be the shit Deus Ex Machina they're suggesting, though...

Drakron

Arcane
villain of the story said:
It's patched. Well, the patched TPB version.

Make sure its really patched, it should have a interface.bsa and a misc.bsa.

MCA
I have both.

Skyrim - Interface.bsa
33,0 MB (34.608.945 bytes)
33,0 MB (34.611.200 bytes)

Skyrim - Misc.bsa
169 MB (177.894.975 bytes)
169 MB (177.897.472 bytes)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So I'm currently going through the game with a powergamey build, doing nothing but the main quest so I can get sidetracked later. At the moment I'm at Elder Knowledge and level 8. Enemies are pretty tough (took a LOT of kiting to kill the dwarven centurion at lv 7). That said, the blackreach dungeon you visit in the latter part of this quest is quite pretty.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Ok, I just managed to break the main quest beyond repair.

The non-spoiler version: If you have joined the legion/stormcloaks but HAVEN'T retreived the jagged crown for your faction yet, DO NOT continue with Season Unending in the main questline until you've retreived the crown.

I had the joining the stormcloaks questline started and I was sent off to kill an icewraith. But I hadn't done so yet. Season unending requires you get both the stormcloaks and imperials to a peace meeting so you can use whiterun to capture a dragon. Ulfric refuses to speak to me until I've finished my task. I killed the ice wraith, but that immediately starts the next mission to retreive the jagged crown. And his second in command won't advance that quest to the point where we actually go to collect it because he's butthurt about the imperials coming to a peace meeting.

In fact, there's all manner of ways NPCs will bug out in Season Unending. (For example, message to whiterun will cause the jarl of whiterun to be bugged in this quest). It's best to either not have joined a faction at all or already attacked/defended whiterun before continuing the main quest after it starts Season Unending.

As for me, well, I'll have to roll back to a save I made several hours earlier to try and un-FUBAR my game :/

As an addendum, the main quest also bugs in Alduins Bane. Once you get to the cutscene bit, alduin never shows up and you're stuck in the cutscene forever. If this happens to you, you can fix it by

reading the elder scroll several times before reading it at the time wound at the throat of the world

hoopy

Savant
Majestic47 said:
I gained the Golden Claw quest by accident actually. I did not pay attention to the main quest and decided to explore that towering ruins over Rivertown. The moment I stepped in...GOLDEN CLAW QUEST ADDED - wtf?
The game loves to force quests down your throat. Just standing near the Stormcloak guy you can escape with can cause a quest to get added, and there's nothing you can do about it except load a save.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I got a main quest bug when you go to meet Max Von Sydow for the first time. His dialogue had no sound, just immediately skipped to the next line, and he wouldn't open the door to let me in. Had to download a mod to fix it, which already had 12,000 downloads. Nice one, Bethesda.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
villain of the story said:
Will no one check the file sizes of their .bsa files so I can compare?

Interface.bsa: 33,0 MB (34.707.771 bytes)
Misc.bsa: 169 MB (177.443.330 bytes)

Also, just completed the game. The ending was kinda shitty. But the area the last boss fight takes place in was kind of neat.

If I ever bother doing it again, I might try to kill Paarthunax and see how that affects things. I didn't on my initial run 'cause he seemed like a BRO to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom