Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm actually loving Skyrim.

tindrli

Arcane
i want to be alt as well DAMN!!!!!!

Edwin

Scholar
I am loving Skyrim too...but I am not from(what seems to be) the codex generation.I grew up on BG 1-2,PST,Morrowind etc. I know nothing about the games before that era.I am a newfag and I will probably never reach thousands on the post count and I wont play goldbox games or kotc(there is a certain level of fugly I just cant stomach).

You all hate what gaming(and RPGs mainly) turned into and I understand that hate because new games are almost always shit.The genre(and gaming) didnt evolve,I would describe the last ten years of gaming as 3 steps backwards,everything was better in 90s.

Skyrim is the best game since BG2.You probably heard it here first but this is my opinion and if you dont like it feel free to cry me a river.This game has everything what I want from an Elder Scrolls game and such little annoyances like the shitty UI,the rather weak DB quest chain,the slight dumbing down,no levitation or linear dungeon maps cant spoil it for me because I am playing a GOOD FUCKING GAME.I never was a big Bethesda fan but now that Bioware is a joke and Obsidian(the bastard child of the holy Black Isle studios) creates just Mass Effect and Diablo clones it is clear who is the king.Bethesda was the only 1 who managed to crank up a good AAA game in the past few years(the whole gaming industry is a fucking disaster,this game is like finding a pearl in a big fucking pile of consoles...I mean...shit).

As I see it you got 2 choices:
-play Skyrim and enjoy it for what it is(it certainly isnt the second coming of Christ(or PS:T...or Arcanum....or BG2...or whatever floats your boat)) but it is a good Elder Scrolls game
-go back into your dark corner to lick your wounds,hate the world because it is cruel and play a good game you like nvm that its boring because you already know every inch of it :)

bussinrounds

Augur
You forgot about option #3

You could just play older games you haven't played yet. Or ones that you barley remember cause it's been so many years since you played them.

Black

Arcane
Edwin said:
-play Skyrim and enjoy it for what it is(it certainly isnt the second coming of Christ(or PS:T...or Arcanum....or BG2...or whatever floats your boat)) but it is a good Elder Scrolls game
-go back into your dark corner to lick your wounds,hate the world because it is cruel and play a good game you like nvm that its boring because you already know every inch of it :)

Yeah, it shows you grew up on bladder's gates and shit rpgs. Such great choices.

Qwertilot

Novice
Even a very reasonable fourth way - waiting until its been properly fixed :) Actually given the inevitability of a properly fixed interface I really can't see why any rational person would get it yet, except maybe a sense of ghoulish curiosity.....

But I'm sure there will be rather more stuff than that usefully fixed in a year or two. It'll be notably cheaper then too.

Ivory Samoan

Liturgist
bussinrounds said:

You could just play older games you haven't played yet. Or ones that you barley remember cause it's been so many years since you played them.
This is a largely neglected action, one which over the last year i've been trying to kick into gear. There are so many good games from the last 15 years or so that need playing, makes me kind of glad I never hit some of the classics when they were released... it's like Xmas at the Griswalds, with Black Isle/Larian/Bioware presents under the tree.

Oh, and i'm still enjoying Skyrim - melee conjuration ahoy. :)

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Damn, all those pompous newfags coming out with either excuses for liking Skyrim or attacks against those who dont are disgusting. :retarded:

Yes, i am enjoying Skyrim too. So fucking what? For some reason i don't feel any guilt about it and have no problems with other posters hating it. Other people hating something you enjoy won't make your penis smaller, so you can stop denouncing "elitists" and go back to the game.

When fellow codexer hates something you enjoy, you should feel respect for his higher standarts or different taste, not pathetic butthurt. :M

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm not going to play a bethesda game from steam.

lolololol. Am i elitist? Fuck you!

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
bussinrounds said:

:love:

Running out of games to play was never a problem for me after i finished school.I just don't have that much free time anymore.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
bussinrounds said:

:thumbsup:

I'm from the same "generation", my first two real RPGs were BG2 and Morrowind. I'm partial to a little popamole in between "serious" gaming, but the fact is; I'm set for life when it comes to old RPGs. Sure, I can't deny that it's sometimes hard to get over certain clunky hurdles once one hits the pre-1997 mark, but man up and get on with it.

Corwin71

Novice
Pretty sure this is the only time I'm ever going to post here, and I'm sure this will receive nothing but scorn and childish insults, but what the hell, I'm a glutton for punishment (plus I never have to come here again.)

I'm 40 years old, probably older than most of you. Consequently, I'm confident in guessing that I've also been playing RPGs longer than most of you. I've played most of the SSI games. I've played Phantasie III, Magic Candle, the original Bard's Tale. I've played Wasteland, Dragon Wars, Alternate Reality: The Dungeon, the first couple Might & Magics, the list goes on. As time has gone on, I've played all of the Black Isle stuff, Bioware's games, Bethesda's, the Witcher, and indie games like Avernum and Geneforge. In other words, I have "cred."

And yet, instead of choosing to turn my arrogant, petulant, hypercritical nose up at games that come out now, I actually judge them on their own merits, and enjoy them. Amazing, right? I don't get to stand on my mountain and pretend i'm hurling biting thunderbolts down at game companies, and fans, and "alts" and yet, I still know what I'm talking about PLUS I get to enjoy the games I'm playing now. 90% of you are so concerned about being smug and being "right" that you're ruining for yourselves what should be enjoyable gaming experience now because they don't meet your ridiculous standards of perfection, which half the time are so contradictory and nonsensical as to be impossible in any universe that doesn't follow HP Lovecraft's laws of nature and physics.

You're wasting your time. Nobody cares that you're impervious to liking things. Nobody fucking cares how well you put games, or the people who play them, down. You're going to live a certain number of years, and there are going to be a certain number of great games out there, and you're going to piss most of them away in your misguided attempts to be the biggest elitist jerk on this board.

Skyrim is not a perfect game. Who cares? You're like a guy who complains that a supermodel who's fliritng with you is wearing an ugly belt. It does so many things well, so AMAZINGLY well, and most of you can't let down your guards long enough to allow yourselves to enjoy it. That's sad. You're the only ones losing out in that equation.

And by the way, I skimmed the terms of use when I signed up for this horrible place so I could post this, and wow, if what riddles this forum is the moderators' idea of civil, non-discriminatory discussion, you all need to revisit your dictionaries. This place is homophobic, racist, sexist, profane, and outright misanthropic.

RPGs should be fun. Playing them shouldn't be an exercise in self-loathing. You can be critical without being an ass. Try it, you might like it.

Data4

Arcane
Corwin71 said:
You're wasting your time. Nobody cares that you're impervious to liking things. Nobody fucking cares how well you put games, or the people who play them, down. You're going to live a certain number of years, and there are going to be a certain number of great games out there, and you're going to piss most of them away in your misguided attempts to be the biggest elitist jerk on this board.

You care. Don't deny it. You care enough to register on a forum for the sake of making a post and getting your voice heard, for what it's worth. If you didn't care, this wouldn't have been worth the time it took to register, even much less making a multi-paragraphed post.

The fact is, people have opinions. Some are uninformed opinions, particularly those who haven't played and already pronounced Skyrim shit. This doesn't discount those who have played it and still call it shit, because... well, opinions are like that.

Admit it, you do care, and you're probably a little ashamed of it.

Mortmal

Arcane
Corwin71 said:
And by the way, I skimmed the terms of use when I signed up for this horrible place so I could post this, and wow, if what riddles this forum is the moderators' idea of civil, non-discriminatory discussion, you all need to revisit your dictionaries. This place is homophobic, racist, sexist, profane, and outright misanthropic.

Homophobic here ? I dont hink so they give full authority and all moderation power to a fa.. er a person of different sexual interest. But its true you can drink a beer here, have a chat with your neonazis friends ,discuss neanderthals supremacy, have a few jokes about niggers and other untermenschen, but be careful, now dont set up a skyrim poll , too far man, too far!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
We ought to get this Corwin guy and Skyway in a room together. Maybe toss in Konjob and Attackfighter for a 4-way battle royale.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Oh, Corwin.

I'm 40 years old, probably older than most of you. Consequently, I'm confident in guessing that I've also been playing RPGs longer than most of you.

Some men learn for 20 years. Other men learn for 1 year - 20 times in a row.

And yet, instead of choosing to turn my arrogant, petulant, hypercritical nose up at games that come out now, I actually judge them on their own merits, and enjoy them. Amazing, right? I don't get to stand on my mountain and pretend i'm hurling biting thunderbolts down at game companies, and fans, and "alts" and yet, I still know what I'm talking about PLUS I get to enjoy the games I'm playing now. 90% of you are so concerned about being smug and being "right" that you're ruining for yourselves what should be enjoyable gaming experience now because they don't meet your ridiculous standards of perfection, which half the time are so contradictory and nonsensical as to be impossible in any universe that doesn't follow HP Lovecraft's laws of nature and physics.

It's not really our fault if you played RPGs over all these years and completely failed to acquire any sense of discernment in quality or taste.

There are 20-somethings on this forum who forgot more about proper RPG design than you've ever known.

You've got it all backwards. We are not bashing games to get forum rep. We came to these forums because games, for the lack of a better word, suck.

Why do they suck? People like you are largely to thank here. You are in the majority, and you dictate the market demand.

As result, there's nothing that truly captures my attention anymore. The drivel written and designed by retarded programmer committees at Bethesda and Bioware simply does not have the power to pull me into their worlds.

Because those worlds don't come together as a whole - they remain artificial constructs. Code surrounded by "levels", portrayed via "graphics". Not an experience, not a world - just a software product that takes your input, does something with it, and produces output.

Not a GAME.

These forums are my refuge, after being pushed away from many other forums, filled to the brim with people like you.

There are THOUSANDS of those forums out there. People who are truly, genuinely unable to discern graphics from gameplay. People who have this belief that every big-name game is inherently enjoyable because THEY enjoy it. This belief is as smug as it is naive.

I don't hate games to hate games. I largely stopped playing games because they've stayed at a level designed to appeal to my 15-year-old self - EXCEPT I AM NOT 15 ANYMORE.

There is concrete evidence out there that games are capable of being much more than what they've degraded into. This evidence itself is several older games. Their underlying gameplay code is ahead of MODERN times. So is general area design - in coherency, functionality, and just plain aesthetics.

But when you played Fallout, and then you played Fallout 3, you saw nothing. Heard nothing. Understood... nothing.

In a way, it is a blessing. Go back to your blessed kind and enjoy your toys. But when you see people who've grown out of your toys - getting pissed at them doesn't help the image of maturity you're so desperately trying to project.

waywardOne

Arcane
Corwin71 said:

You sound exactly like two other new posters praising skyrim and preaching "down with elitism." You're one of the most retarded 40 year olds I've ever encountered, and considering I'm in that age range, that's fucking pathetic. You might think McDonald's hamburgers are awesome, but that doesn't mean I'm elitist if I think they're shit. Naturally, peasants would love to even the playing field by throwing perjoratives on those with intelligence and taste, but that only fools the other peasants and no one else. [Achievement Unlocked: Irony Detected]

The thing is, you're transparent. You may or may not be 40 (I'll say not), but what you are is an astroturfing shill on behalf of or even in the employ of Bethesda. You and your clones use the same tactics but never present arguments for why Skyrim is supposed to be a good game, much less a good RPG, because the flaws are quite indefensible, so you resort to vague warnings about missing out on fun because we're worried about what gaming fags on a website think about us.

I've got about ~6 hours max a week to waste on gaming, so I rely on honest discussions of games before I risk spending more time installing a game than I would playing. You have some good things to say about the game, say them. Otherwise, go fuck yourself and stop wasting time proselytizing your vapid and self-congratulatory theories.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Corwin71 said:
You're wasting your time. Nobody cares that you're impervious to liking things.
It's funny that you claim to be mature and then use a pathetic strawman argument like this.

Corwin71 said:
You can't claim to be non-discriminatory and discriminate against outlooks that you don't like. Forbidding people with homophobic, racist, sexist and misanthropic views to express their opinions is discrimination.
What happened to "I'm disgusted by your views but I'll fight to defend your right to express them"?

crufty

Arcane
Haha at least we are honest.

Skyrim is a fun, great game.

I discovered that I can activate the quest compass, twenty levels in. I had not turned it on for a single thing yet...so awesome! Could have used it when looking for random bones at bottom of a river. So quest compass can be turned off or on, by quest.

I had to find an npc. This was a real challenge. Managed to catch them at dinner at an inn. Sweet!

Many of the reasons why u7 was so awesome are finally present in a game some 15 years later. I haven't seen as many (or any) observable implied quests as u7 has, where the setting provides the quest clues. I am thinking of the u7 murder scene in particular. Slyrim has lots of detail and clues in its architecture and building. Which is AWESOME!

I love how a hero in one hold is an enemy in another. :monocle:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
-go back into your dark corner to lick your wounds,hate the world because it is cruel and play a good game you like nvm that its boring because you already know every inch of it

You should work for Bethesda, man.

Clearly those are the only available options. You see it like it is.

Skyrim is the best game since BG2.

You don't even try to get out of your retardation, it seems.

Also, @Corwyn... hah, yeah, I don't care about you guise that you hate my favorite games, I really, really don't, so I'll just register here and write a huge post telling you exactly how much I don't care, because I don't.

And yeah, really old retarded arguments... if you don't play the latest games you miss on the fun. :roll: It's not like every other Bethesdarian moron comes up with the tame tired bullshit. See a couple of lines above, if you don't get it.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
While I had fun for the first few hours, the game becomes stale and boring pretty quick. Once you've seen one or two dungeons, you've seen them all. Mostly they consist of one large corridor with puzzles which are always the same with 3-4 varying "themes" and sets of mobs, random items and the occasional dragon shout at the end. The quests are practically only excuses to go into aformentionend dungeons, the writing is horrible. I don't give a shit if the game gives me hundreds of dungeons/quests or creates new "challenges" with this Radiant system when everything is the fucking same. I can live with a limited amount of quests, when they have actually one thing: substance. Substance is lacking in Skyrim, it basically makes you think "whoa there's so much stuff to do!" when there isn't.

Though, I still have to admit that I really enjoy the landscape, the weather affects and such. The world designers did a good job. But if I want to see some winter landscape, I just have to look out of the window in a couple of weeks. The music is very good this time around, the soundeffects are nothing to write home about. Fighting first was fun, but was eventually ruined by shitty scaling.

Meh.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Corwin71 said:
And yet, instead of choosing to turn my arrogant, petulant, hypercritical nose up at games that come out now, I actually judge them on their own merits, and enjoy them.

No-no-no. Judging the game on it's own merits means discovering both it's flaws and advantages. And once you are aware of flaws it should come as no surprise that some people are turned off by these flaws. We can see that you are puzzled why some people hate Skyrim, such confusion can only happen to derp that juges games on "like/don't like" scale, not to expirienced gamer who "judges games on their own merit".

I can only quote shihonage again:
It's not really our fault if you played RPGs over all these years and completely failed to acquire any sense of discernment in quality or taste.

Seriously, decades of playing RPG's and you cannot pinpoint any flaws in Skyrim? It's just sad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom