Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any sign of Civ 5 becoming playable?

spectre

Arcane
So I've been thinking, it's been some time since Civ 5 was released, question is, was that time enough to polish that turd a little bit? A few patches must have came out, perhaps some modders have made the effort to fix it?

I did some light research on this and all I see is chaff. Unit retextures, minor addtions, totaly random and out of place shit, nothing really in-depth in the vein of, say Revolutions mod for Civ4.

So, anybody had more luck with it?

Edit: Ok, found something:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=450
Looks like it's following the "let's try weird shit and see if it works" design philosophy which turns me off a bit.
Although, this could actually work, because it seems the bes way to improve Civ 5 is to turn it upside down and start expanding from there.

attackfighter

Magister
Civ 5 will never be playable. The two problems with it are long waiting times between turns and terribad AI. Those two problems are intertwined with the one unit per square limit. The limit makes it hard for the AI to make decisions in a timely matter without totally sucking, and so it's inherently going to either suck, lag or both no matter what modders do with it. The only solution would be to remove the one unit per square limit and rewrite the AI. I doubt modders are capable of this.

ps civ 4 has no good mods either. only bloated content packs and poorly made scenarios.

attackfighter said:
Civ 5 will never be playable. The two problems with it are long waiting times between turns and terribad AI. Those two problems are intertwined with the one unit per square limit. The limit makes it hard for the AI to make decisions in a timely matter without totally sucking, and so it's inherently going to either suck, lag or both no matter what modders do with it. The only solution would be to remove the one unit per square limit and rewrite the AI. I doubt modders are capable of this.

ps civ 4 has no good mods either. only bloated content packs and poorly made scenarios.

The one unit per square and extended turn times have little to do with each other. Modern computers are vastly faster than what would be required to handle that. IIRC, the problems with long turn times came down to an incredibly poorly implemented pathing algorithm on the devs part, I'm assuming its been fixed now.

The real problem is that their one implementation of the one unit per square idea was ridiculously stupid in the first place. You could have 1000s of units and only 2 could fight at a time through a narrow chokepoint. Really needed something like MAX's system to make it work right.

AI problems are AI problems, any game that hasn't been extensively studied for at least a year or two and then playtested for another year is going to have gaping holes in its ability to contend with even a moderately intelligent player. Its always been that way, Civ 5 was moreso simply because why even bother when consoletards get upset at being outsmarted anyway?

sser

Arcane
Developer
It's still pretty bad, but I think any future expansions have the right foundation to be awesome a la BTS. Civ4 was actually way worse than Civ5 when it first came out so I'm using that to spearhead some optimism.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
CiV is very much playable and very much boring at the same time. AI poses no challenge at all, techs and wonders are bland, so are tile improvements, specialization doesnt even work...

Seriously, I tried playing it recently but got turned off once again.

Not sure if it can be fixed too. Their strategy seems to be based around selling DLCs which dont improve the game enough.

spectre

Arcane
That's what I'm saying, it's not actually playble.
I agree, the official site seems to be all about the shitty dlc, adding up to the shitty stuff without any thought of an overhaul. Not exactly optimistic.

It's still pretty bad, but I think any future expansions have the right foundation to be awesome a la BTS. Civ4 was actually way worse than Civ5 when it first came out so I'm using that to spearhead some optimism.
That's what I was silently hoping for, didn't find any mentions of an BtS sized expansion yet.

I beg to disagree. f.e. The Revolutions series modpacks are pretty solid.

tindrli

Arcane
i dont know what civ 5 are you playing but the one that i have does not have long turns and the AI is defenetly not stupid on higher levels.
And if you still find AI dumb you can always try multiplayer.. just type it in google.. there are russian people that made it possible and there you will defenetly find someone of your level

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
tindrli said:
i dont know what civ 5 are you playing but the one that i have does not have long turns and the AI is defenetly not stupid on higher levels.
And if you still find AI dumb you can always try multiplayer.. just type it in google.. there are russian people that made it possible and there you will defenetly find someone of your level

Really? You didnt defeat endless AI hordes with few artillery/archer/ship units? Didnt see them die ipointlessly assaulting chokepoints?

Because on higher levels Ai cheats and builds more but is as dumb as before.

tindrli

Arcane
Really? You didnt defeat endless AI hordes with few artillery/archer/ship units? Didnt see them die ipointlessly assaulting chokepoints?

Shit you are right about those choke points. :/..

but its a good game compared from shit that is offered today

Hellraiser

Arcane
To fix Civ V they would have to rework the tech tree which got dumbed down to new tech gives +1 stat per city. The same applies to wonders and buildings. The amount of fucking decline in Civ V's city management and techs is just astounding. It's like they thought the retard FPS crowd would grab the game if they dumbed it down. At the very least they didn't make it real time.

Oh and they got rid of FMV for endings and wonders replacing them with static images. I mean fuck the very least I deserve for launching a fucking space ship to fucking Alpha Centauri in a fucking game I bought is an animated "you have won" screen. Even the first Civ had more than just a static fucking image for its ending.

TBH the better than Civ IV's doomstack-orgy warfare system is currently Civ V's only saving grace. Seriously fuck doomstacks.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You are being unfair, yes CiV sucks compared to IV but it does some things better. Culture is WAY more interesting and getting new advances here is awesome, cultural victory is much better due to this.

I also liked resource-specific buildings (like mints) and fun map making scripts providing you with natural borders and obstacles (and chokepoints, those can be exploited vs AI).

But truth be told too many turns in CiV were boring clicking-end-turn-and-waiting-as-nothing-happens...

IdaGno

Educated
Michael Jackson never had plastic surgery & Lee Harvey Oswald acted aklone.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
I had the same question this August, and I started playing it again. It was improved from release, but still disappointing in a number of ways. I agree with Malakal that there's promise considering how improved BTS made Civ4, but to this point the most fun I've had was playing my own tower-defense scenario. It suffers from a bit of combat tedium, but I like losing and trying new strategies.

oscar

Arcane
attackfighter said:

Fall from Heaven and Master of Mana.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom