Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

2D arcade action games with elements of puzzle solving

piydek

Cipher
Recently I've played Trine and Rochard, two games I've had lots of fun with. I like the combo of arcade action with light puzzle solving. Can the codex recommend any other similar games to these? I've been searching around but can't really find anything.

piydek

Cipher
Draq, that's exactly the stuff I'm talking about. Unfortunately, I've played Another World and Flashback to the death back in the days on my Amiga.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is a flashback clone created in the twilight years of the amiga that might be unknown to you. I forget the name. Outrun? onEscapee. I haven't played it though.

Full game (mirror of the uploaded company version, pc version, reputed to be slightly inferior, but whatever)
http://uploaded.to/file/mpqnbjpp

There is also something that fits to a T (well, a inferior, actiony T) what you want that i forgot the name "Bermuda Syndrome" - (16 bits app, either use a 32 bits windows, wine* or dosbox with windows 3.1*). A french flashback clone about a guy in a jungle with dinosaurs.

Super Metroid/metroid redesign (just the translation, find the rom elsewhere) is one of the best of course.

:troll:

mahdi

Liturgist
Maybe these will work:

The Neverhood
Abe's Oddysee/Exodus
Heart of Darkness (highly recommended)
Wild 9 (never played this)
Blackthorne

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Aquaria is rather light on the puzzles, except for that horrible musical one at the end. It's more about exploration. Still worth playing.

You want puzzles and you enjoyed Trine? Play Lost Vikings. That one alone should keep you occupied 'till next year.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If you REALLY want puzzles, try the Humans series.

Not much of a "arcade action" game though.

dragonfk

Erudite
Hmm maybe Spelunky? It's fun and maybe there are no straightforward puzzles, but still there are some head-sratchers when you get a killer set of blocks(every level of the game is built from blocks which are randomly set with each other, sometimes creating very fun combinations which at the same time are very difficult to pass without losing life or valuable gear).

J1M

Arcane
Lufia 2 for SNES.

More RPG than action though.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Trine 2~ But really 2D Action game with light puzzle elements describes almost half of all indie games, see, e.g., Nightsky, Braid, Trine (which you've played), Limbo, etc.

piydek

Cipher
Thanks for the great recommendations guys, you know your stuff!

OnEscapee - played and finished that game back in the days on Amiga CD-rom. Great game. Nowhere near Flashback IMO, but on par with another world. It felt a bit forced at the time, but i had great fun with it. Really nice graphics. It goes the same for Lost Vikings and Fury of the furries - played and finished those on the Amiga as well - truly great games. Someone said "little big adventure" - i've played that as well way back, but that's an adventure game.

Abe's odysee/exodus - never played it but i've heard great things about it. does the steam version that's currently on sale work with Win7/32bit? I'm quite sure I'll play this. I've also acquired Heart of darness, hope it'll work on win7.

Bermuda syndrome seems good as well, i'll try it.

Initially, I forgot to mention a few of the games Metro is mentioning now: Braid I've finished and Limbo i'm playing ATM. I'd really really recommend limbo, along with trine and also rochard to anyone into this kind of games. Quite easy but great fun for a couple of days.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Oh, forgot to mention: Blocks That Matter. Was in the Humble Bundle before this recent one and is also on sale for $2 during the current Steam sale.

Destroid

Arcane
Nikujin, a challenging little platformer/puzzler, also, it is free.

Nikujin.jpg

Zergian

Educated
Sorry, by translation you meant patch. OK.

I have to take the opportunity to recommend snesGT, in my experience the best snes emulator there is, disregarding the CPU hog that is bsnes. Here's the latest version:

http://www.emucr.com/2011/01/snesgt-v0230-beta-7.html

I recommend Super Metroid as well. Great atmosphere. The Redesign patch might make it too difficult though (I didn't get past the beginning, which has a timed escape episode, though there's no timed missions later iirc, apart from the very end).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom