Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for D&D like Dungeon Crawl/Blobber

Breaking Axe

Educated
When searching for RPGs to play I originally placed higher importance upon atmosphere, writing, story, and C&C over gameplay in the games I looked at , I was trying to replicate my experience with Planescape Torment and Arcanum. After a replay of TOEE however I have become more interested in the mechanical side of RPGs, and am searching for other games of a similar vein.

I'm looking for a game that's sequence or turn-based with excellent gameplay, preferably with a good mouse interface, 2d graphics, a system similar to D&D or GURPS and passable plot. Maybe one of the Gold Box games which I haven't tried at all, a good starter one to dive into. Any suggestions one could make would be most welcome. I've already played JA2 and KotC and aren't particularly interested in the Wizardry series.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Wizardry 8 is a dungeon crawl/blobber with strongly adapted, changed and improved D&D mechanics. (Sounds like you're looking for something like this.)
Incursion is a single character Roguelike based on D&D (3rd ed). (Probably not what you're looking for.)
Knights of the Chalice is an indie that's all about D&D combat. Lacks some combat aspects like reach and has a stunted character system but good encounters and very good UI. (You should give it a try, there's a demo.)
These I recommend.

Otherwise the genre you are looking for is not well supplied. GoldBox games might offer you what you're looking for. Haven't tried them myself. Realms of Arkania might also be worth looking into.

mondblut

Arcane
Breaking Axe said:
Maybe one of the Gold Box games which I haven't tried at all, a good starter one to dive into. Any suggestions one could make would be most welcome.

Why would you need suggestions when you know exactly what to play?

Also Dark Sun, Natuk, Aethra Chronicles, Disciples of Steel. Perhaps Exile.

Breaking Axe

Educated
mondblut said:
Breaking Axe said:
Maybe one of the Gold Box games which I haven't tried at all, a good starter one to dive into. Any suggestions one could make would be most welcome.

Why would you need suggestions when you know exactly what to play?

Also Dark Sun, Natuk, Aethra Chronicles, Disciples of Steel. Perhaps Exile.

I know of the Gold Box games but not which one would be best as an introduction to the series, maybe a bit of a pointless question in hindsight.

Awor Szurkrarz said:
Have you tried the Incursion Roguelike? It's based on D20 and has a lot of options.

Just having a read of it now, does it have a frontend client/graphic pack like Vulture's Eye for nethack? Also not to be a newfag but I do dislike having to memorise the hotkeys for a client.

Still, I think I'll give it a try in the next few days.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Breaking Axe said:
Just having a read of it now, does it have a frontend client/graphic pack like Vulture's Eye for nethack?
Not AFAIK but it has some of the best ASCII graphics I've seen *g*

mondblut

Arcane
Breaking Axe said:
I know of the Gold Box games but not which one would be best as an introduction to the series, maybe a bit of a pointless question in hindsight.

Okay. Pool of Radiance is a bit risky, having worst graphics and interface of them all. The most polished ones, being Dark Queen of Krynn, Pools of Darkness, Treasures of Savage Frontier and Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed, are all not the first in their series, facilitating the need to play earlier installments first. I'd go for Gateway to Savage Frontier and Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday as the most polished and visually acceptable among series openers then. Or start with some highly rated FRUA modules, since FRUA uses DQK for its engine.

If you are going to Goldbox, start off with Pool of Radiance, otherwise you become something of a pansy like Mondblut here ("No 'fix' command! Mummy! Help!'). It is always easiest to experience the rougher diamond before moving on to the slicker sequels (in UI that is. Inferior in many other ways to POR though).

The only thing really missing in Pool of Radiance is the auto healing 'fix' command, which can be a touch annoying, but honestly, you get over these kinds of things by going on with the game. Once you break through to the early middling part of the game, the rest is excellence. You just need to push on past the lack of 'fix', and the early encounters/levels.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Shannow said:
Breaking Axe said:
Just having a read of it now, does it have a frontend client/graphic pack like Vulture's Eye for nethack?
Not AFAIK but it has some of the best ASCII graphics I've seen *g*
True. It has lovely colours.

Gregz

Arcane
After reading your thread title I thought the 'Eye of the Beholder' series would fit perfectly.

Your post narrows things down a lot however. Wizardry 8 or Might and Magic VII are the best I can think of.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom