Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

king of dragon pass issue

Jopo

Novice
Has anyone tried modding this game? What programs do you need to open the script files and what files are they contained in?

Think of everything you could do with modding, you could change the game dynamics a lot. Add more Gods and spells and bonuses. Add more events. etc. etc. What would you need to do this?

By the way, I still haven´t managed to start the game up in a patched version. I guess I would have to try and make a patched .iso of it, I tried once but it failed. So someone has succeeded in making a patched version of it that works on win 7? That´s good.

Cheers!

oscar

Arcane
I'm not too sure what you would do about all the artwork. Even if you put your own in it would look pretty out of place mixed with the original.

Jopo

Novice
I´m not worried about the artwork, theres so much art in the game that you could use the same pictures for new events many times. Mostly I would like to change some game dynamics, add new religions and spells for bonuses etc. Can it be done?

Also, I discovered that the problem with running it on windows 7 is with the Mtplay95 program, it refuses to be compatible with win 7. I wonder is there a newer version of this player that could be used to run the game?

Silva

Arcane
Ive finished the game before in a personal "Iron man" mode (I just saved in the beginning of year) and it wasnt so hard as its now. Maybe the update caused this?

And this is the definiteve FAQ for the game.

Jopo

Novice
I wonder if there is any interest in making a new game based on Glorantha. A new strategy/RPG style of game with both elements, map-based strategy and characters and events etc. It might be good.

Jopo

Novice
I need to do an updated .iso of the KoDP its the only way I can get it to work. I hear somebody has already done so.

How can I make a working iso of the files. I tried unpacking the original iso and then applied the patch and repacked it to an iso named KoDP (both iso name and CD label), it refused to work complaining that this is not a compatible program with win 7.

How can I make the patch work on win 7? Is there any way to add files to an existing iso?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Works on wine - if mounted. I tried on wine windows 7 mode even (don't have windows anymore and never again).
Be aware that there are some bad versions of the iso floating around on the net. In those bad versions one of the larger files
KODP5142.mxx or
KODP5143.mxx
can't recall
Have a read error right in the middle and can't be copied to the hardrive. If you try you likely end with a 0 byte file.

Are you sure you're creating your iso correctly (or patching it)?
Label is KoDP
Structure looks like this (some - inconsequential, readme only prob - files added by patch):
|-- autorun.inf
|-- data1.cab
|-- DATA.TAG
|-- glorantha.lnk
|-- _INST32I.EX_
|-- _ISDEL.EXE
|-- Issaries
| |-- coverG.jpg
| |-- coverGsmall.jpg
| |-- coverHW.jpg
| |-- coverHWsmall.jpg
| |-- delux_hw.jpeg
| |-- gbintro.htm
| |-- gbook.htm
| |-- glorantha.htm
| |-- hw.htm
| |-- hwintro.htm
| |-- hwLogo.gif
| |-- hwSmall.gif
| |-- hwSmall.gif
| |-- line.htm
| |-- logo-isar.gif
| |-- myth.html
| |-- newt.jpg
| |-- newt.jpg
| |-- rinliddi.jpg
| |-- rinliddi.jpg
| |-- sgu.jpg
| |-- sgu.jpg
| |-- sr.jpg
| |-- sr.jpg
| |-- suppl.htm
| |-- tr.jpg
| |-- tr.jpg
| |-- vinga.jpg
| `-- vinga.jpg
|-- KODP5142.mxx
|-- KODP5143.mxx
|-- KoDP.exe
|-- language.dat
|-- layout.bin
|-- mt
| |-- MPLUGINS
| | |-- BASIC.X32
| | |-- CURSORS.C32
| | |-- EXTRAS.R32
| | |-- Hottext Kit.r32
| | |-- Mercury Kit.r32
| | |-- NETWORK.R32
| | `-- Opal.r32
| `-- Mtplay95.exe
|-- Opal
| |-- map.opm
| |-- map.opm
| |-- OErasmus.fon
| |-- opal.mfx
| |-- opal.mfx
| `-- scenes.dat
|-- os.dat
|-- ReadMe.txt
|-- ReadMe Update.txt
|-- setup.bmp
|-- _setup.dll
|-- SETUP.EXE
|-- SETUP.INI
|-- setup.ins
|-- _sys1.cab
`-- _user1.cab

4 directories, 64 files

Dragonsdale

Novice
I have done the "copy the files" trick but still get an error when trying to isntall. this is most annoying since the game works in play-from-cd mode but it crashes often and I cant save.
same error. 105
any ideas?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
If you're going to try to copy the files to run from the harddrive, you need to edit the harddrive label and copy them to the root. This is hard and can fuck up your computer. Search for a mondblut post about it.

But i don't understand if it this you want.

You obviously can't save on the cd folder, that is the standard it starts at on wine if you don't install and play from cd.

Dragonsdale

Novice
I just wanna play he game.
possibly screwing up my computer sounds abit too risky...
but do tell about this "mondblut"
I am not too technically inclined, so some of these words are strange to me
(that and I'm not a native english speaker)

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
This was my approach:
1) Copy the whole cd to a folder somewhere. Be sure that there are no read errors (you're fucked otherwise).
2) get the patch
http://www.a-sharp.com/kodp/update/KoDP-17update.zip
3) apply it. This is done MANUALLY by finding the same named files and replacing them. Read the readme. THE FILES ARE NOT IN THE SAME FILE FOLDERS SO YOU CAN'T JUST UNZIP OVER THE DIR.
4) Burn or make a image file of the files inside the dir (not the dir itself). Make sure you give it the label "KoDP" (without the ")
5) if you made a image, put it in a cd emulator like deamon tools or (in linux, for wine) cdemu.

This is what works for me - (for playing a updated KoDP without installing it) -, if it didn't for you forget it : the error is likely to do with your OS.

Dragonsdale

Novice
cant find anything labeled "dir" so I burned everything unto a CD. I have tons of blank CD's. now checking if it works

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Dragonsdale said:
nah, it wont work. I'm running vista, think that might be a problem?
"Dir" is a abbreviation for "directory" the same thing as "folder". Read the patch readme and replace the files in the correct place.
What won't work:
It won't start?
It starts but presents the same error?
When you burned the cd did you put in the "KoDP"
(without the " ) label? (It won't run otherwise).

mondblut

Arcane
SCO said:
If you're going to try to copy the files to run from the harddrive, you need to edit the harddrive label and copy them to the root. This is hard and can fuck up your computer. Search for a mondblut post about it.

Actually, that's no longer an issue, at least since XP the built-in windows hdd volume labeling is case-sensitive, and you can name your hdd "KoDP" right there in explorer.

Was valid for win95, though, and possibly 98.

Jopo

Novice
YAY! I got it to work.

I just copied the entire original CD to hardrive and successfully ran it from there in 1.3 version and then installed the patch manually and successfully ran the game in 1.7 mode from the harddrive directory, so I guess I managed to install the game to HD after all, I just had to copy ALL the files to harddrive, the whole CD. Works on WIN 7 64-bit.

MacBone

Scholar
I picked up KoDP for iOS when it was on sale in the Apple store, and I'm wondering how much it's been changed from the initial game. For one, it seems like you have less racial enemies available and one less option in response to your ancestors' dragon relationship.

I also had a hard time completing the Uralda's Blessing quest. Part of it was having no worshipper of Eurnal as a trickster to use on my ring, and my ring Uralda worshipper had good magic but poor combat skills, and she kept getting beat up and losing her way. She eventually was killed.

The next time I tried it (with a trickster on the ring this time), my Questor was killed in the second Biting Things attack.

However, the quest to form a tribe was easy, since the Orlanth worshiper had good Combat and Magic.

Is there anything I'm missing on the Uralda quest? Strong combat skill? Anything else?

Heresiarch

Prophet
Combat skill is essential for Uralda's quest. Sometimes even Very Good doesn't make it. You would probably have a better chance to survive using a non-Uralda (female) ring member with Excellent in combat to try the quest.

The iOS version is actually a very good and faithful port, recommended to anyone who can't get the PC version running while have a iDevice.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I tried to disassemble the copy protection. I quickly got lost. Managed to remove the Blade Runner and QFG4 copy protection, flounder against KotDP.

Go figure.

The CD "patch" still works for me though.

tindrli

Arcane
ok.. i have koDP in one dvd with a lot of old stuff in the folder called whatever. now i instaled deamon lite and i made iso with this entire folder and i called it koDP. now, i mounted it with daemon annd start instalation and all good. but still it wants a damn cd so i must be retarded and defenetly dooing somethinng wrong. any suggestions???

this is the pic of game mounted

16kp1nc.jpg

and this is the cd structure
21j826o.jpg

CRAP. sorry bros it was me retarded .. after reading SCO-s how to i noticed that image must be KoDP and not koDP so its all good now

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Glad it could be useful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom