Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Saints Row 3 gameplay

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well good job, you've now killed the head of the syndicate in a cutscene and avenged Jonhy Gatt! A most satisfactory conclusion! :thumbsup:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Shooting is miles better than in any GTA game and better than in Tomb Raider: Underworld - to compare to another third person, over the shoulder view game. Probably better than in Uncharted, or at least on the same level. Driving is fun too, the cars act differently enough from each other while still handling mostly well. There's shitloads of different stuff to do. Other than that, yeah, it's zany as hell and the plot doesn't make much sense.

Also, for a while I thought Jennifer Hale voiced this as well but turns out it was Laura Bailey. Sounds extremely similar. Good, in any case.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Yeah the plot was probably the weakest part of the game.Whose idea was to kill the main bad guy and avenge your friend by the end of act 1?Did they forget they should have Act 2 and 3?

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Plot? This game has no plot, but that's not the point of the game. It's about having fun, mayhem and stuff. No deep characters, no plot, no intrigue.

Here's my char:
eyUan.jpg

Yup, it's Hitler.

hoopy

Savant
Havoc said:
Plot? This game has no plot, but that's not the point of the game. It's about having fun, mayhem and stuff. No deep characters, no plot, no intrigue.
SR2 has a coherent and well told story (probably SR1 too, but I've never played it). SR3 tried to have a good story, but they fucked it up.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
looks more like a gay bodybuilder trying to do a hitler impersonation.

Silellak said:
SR1 <<<< SR3 < SR2.

That is all.

Never played SR1, but I'd say SR2 is at least >> SR3.

The melee combat was much improved, but brilliantly, they decided to remove fight club activities, so I rarely had the chance to use it.

Gameplay mechanics were an incline overall, but everything else was a decline from SR2 - story, characters, activities, diversions. Customization took two steps forward and three steps back. The character designs have also become too cartoonish for my taste.

hoopy

Savant
I think SR2 had better melee combat. The QTEs are just annoying and I hardly ever used them, and the awesome button takedowns can either be a help or a hindrance depending on which one you get.

Incidentally, I never used a melee weapon during my playthrough. I don't know why.

Cassidy

Arcane
Andyman Messiah said:
Saint's Row was always shit. Only babies prefer it over GTA.

Having tried the second one, I agree with the horse on this one, although the last GTA I played was GTA:SA and reading about GTA 4 issues in the Codex I ignored it. Porting issues aside, I found it particularly too easy even on "hardcore" difficulty and more lacking in unique bonus stuff to do, humor and challenge. Regarding the two series as a whole, GTA is definitively better. Only area where it beats GTA for sure is character customization. Considering the comments on how the SR3 was toned down in content, I guess I just won't bother with it like I didn't with GTA 4.

Still, it's a much better sandbox than Skyrimjob.

*Edit: And before I forget, being able to put your own MP3 files to make a custom soundtrack was also one of the cool things in many GTA games.

torpid

Liturgist
Cassidy said:
Andyman Messiah said:
Saint's Row was always shit. Only babies prefer it over GTA.

Having tried the second one, I agree with the horse on this one, although the last GTA I played was GTA:SA and reading about GTA 4 issues in the Codex I ignored it. Porting issues aside, I found it particularly too easy even on "hardcore" difficulty and more lacking in unique bonus stuff to do, humor and challenge. Regarding the two series as a whole, GTA is definitively better. Only area where it beats GTA for sure is character customization. Considering the comments on how the SR3 was toned down in content, I guess I just won't bother with it like I didn't with GTA 4.

Still, it's a much better sandbox than Skyrimjob.

*Edit: And before I forget, being able to put your own MP3 files to make a custom soundtrack was also one of the cool things in many GTA games.

GTA:SA is definitely more challenging -- I was pleasantly surprised that SR2 started with a bang instead of having boring tutorial missions like GTA, unfortunately the missions so far (I've taken out one of the gangs) don't really get more interesting: too many missions consist solely of going to an enemy hideout where you engage in a shoutout, all at a very leisurely pace since there rarely is any timer. Few missions combine driving and shooting, which was the most entertaining and occasionally challenging part of GTA, and so far no mission has involved intercepting a vehicle at a specific point or having to stay alongside a moving vehicle. When you do have to chase someone down they're generally driving in circles so you have all the time you want to take them out and can only lose them if you let yourself get distanced.

On the other hand, Saint's Row has a bunch of activities that weren't in GTA:SA, which only had races and the taxi/ambulance/fire truck missions. When it comes to the humor, SR is more aggressively juvenile, but some of the comments from random passerby are much better than what I remember from GTA, my favorite being one of the comments from couples sitting on benches -- "we ain't having no kids till we get a rottweiler" :lol: In the final analysis I'd rate them about equally.

Multi-headed Cow

I'm late to the party on this, but man. Saints Row 3 intro. That was pretty great. Performance leaves something to be desired, even turned down a bit on my machine, but way more playable than SR2 and GTA4.

If the rest of the story missions can keep up with the intro then I might not be too upset if it's only 7 hours or so long. Especially if I can pad that out with random fuckery and side missions/activities. Plus that included the season pass so hopefully their mission DLC will be at least decent.

Also after listening to the male-1 dialog and that opening I kinda wanna make my character Sterling Archer with a tactical turtleneck now. I saw a good Gaben skin though. And ohhhhhhhhhhhh I wonder if I could make a TNO. Or MCA!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom