Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Popular Rpgs that you tried but never was able to finish?

mugarod

Liturgist
Project: Eternity
I am usually a completionist and try to finish most games I start to the end but there are still some games that I cant make myself to complete due to loosing interest in a setting, game being overhyped while in reality being just awfull or some other thing. So lets list some of ours and then tear each other a new one for not finishing certain favorites.

Daggerfall (Played 6 hours and game just as boring as it sequels but it seemed like it would take much longer to finish)

Might and Magic 6 (Played probably 10h, never had time to finish it and then sort of lost interest to do it later)

NWN2 MOTB (same as above)

Ultima 7 (Played maybe 4 hours, looked pretty cool at first but combat seemed awfully boring, game seemed interesting though so I might need to give it a second chance)

NWN 1 and its expansions (Gave this game's main campaign 10 hI think I get many people to agree here that the game was just super boring all around and one of the biggest dissapointments)

Mass Effect 1 ( Everything started feeling samey after 10 or so hours and combat became very tedious to go through)

Temple Of Elemental Evil (Spent maybe 3-4 h Liked it before getting to the temple but lost interest right away as soon as I got to the first floor of it. Dont know why but never get past that.)

Well some for starters for now.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
My list is almost the same as yours, just replace ME1 with IWD I/II and expand Daggerfall to every TES game.

mugarod

Liturgist
Project: Eternity
I could list all rpgs I did finish and it will probably have atleast 30-40 titles in it if not more

Callaxes

Arbiter
Here's an odd thing I've noticed:

Despite the fact that I didn't like the Baldur's Gate series, I've finished them. Both of them and the expansion.

I liked the sidequests from the second game, but I had a hard time swallowing the storyline. I didn't like anything from BG1 and ToB.

Now despite these things, I finished all the games and I can honestly say that I didn't force myself at all to finish them.

I never finished Icewind Dale which gave me a much better initial impression than the BGs. I have a lot less critism for Icewind Dale than I have for Baldur's Gate and I never felt frustrated enough to ragequit IWD and uninstall it. I just never had much interest in it, never had the urge to find out what happens next and - as a consequence - IWD ended up as a folder I sort of forgot about.

This didn't happen with Baldur's Gate. Despite the frustration, despite the facepalms (and there were many!), despite the fact that I didn't like any character there, despite all these things there was something about it that prompted me to finish it.

I think there's a subtle attribute of storytelling embedded in the BG series, one that I can't put my finger on, but I know it's there.

I know that the best ability of a storyteller is to make you want to know what happens next, and Baldur's Gate had that surprisingly. I don't know if the people involved achieved this by accident or intent, but I think their game has something valuable to teach both game developers and writers alike.

CrazyLoon

Prophet
Strangely enough, I did finish Oblivion once but I never finished Morrowind. It was a dreadful experience that's for sure.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
Torment crashes on my current computer every 15-30 minutes. And at least two times has corrupted my saves. It feels like reading a 1000 page book 10 pages and then leaving it to the shelf for a while. Shame, because I really would like to finish it.

MMXI

Arcane
DraQ said:
BG1. It's. Just. So. Boring. Fortunately I now know it inclines towards the end so I may finish it eventually.
It inclines when you reach Baldur's Gate and can also tackle the expansion areas like Durlag's tower. Having said that, a lot of people I've talked to often feel overwhelmed when they first enter Baldur's Gate and it ends up indefinitely halting their progress.

jancobblepot said:
Ultima 5, Pool of Radiance, Daggerfall, Wizardry 8, Fallout :(
Then what the fuck are you doing wasting your time posting in this thread!?

:rpgcodex:

Turjan

Arcane
Divine Divinity. I loved the middle of this game very much. Then, in the end, it becomes a boring endless battle.

Wizardry 8. Each random fight is "epic". And there are lots of random fights. I guess I simply don't like the Wizardry series, although the stories sound cool.

Icewind Dale II. I lost my save and wasn't that interested to start over.

Daggerfall. Well, it's long. And buggy.

NWN2. I'm stuck in that "Defend the castle" sequence. On my last try, after hours of "battle - cutscene - battle - cutscene - ..." ad nauseam, my char died, and I noticed that my last usable save was several hours back. I have to finish this one day so I can try the fabled MotB.

DraQ said:
BG1. It's. Just. So. Boring. Fortunately I now know it inclines towards the end so I may finish it eventually.
I guess many people never made it into the city Baldur's Gate. A pity, actually, as this part features some of the best battles of the game, including one of the best mage's battles (as good as it can get with low level AD&D).

Stabwound

Arcane
I rarely finish ANY game. I get bored with them all at some point. I have my fun and then I quit playing.

MCA
Daggerfall is not buggy to the point of breaking the game. It crashes every now and then or you get stuck in shit every now and then, which can be resolved with a cheat, and that's it. And the game isn't that long. Main quest is pretty short, actually, but you may have to spend some time hulking up to face some of the challenges.

I could never endure Oblivion for more than a couple hours. The sense of boredom it instilled was immensely dreadful. I think I may have gone through major depression because of that game.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Both Diablos
Both Kotors
Torchlight
BG1+2
TOEE - moathouse
Morrowind - level scalling
Fallout 3
Skyrim
Gothic 3
Edit: Betrayal at Krondor (but I played up to the 6th chapter)

Bruticis

TToE, tried many times too. I always get bored in Hommlet.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
PST - I created a low Cha character and had to fight with the Transcendent One. Never defeated him as the game had a massive memory leak that would make the game very slow after longer playing.
Ultima 7 - the edition that I have bought lacked the fucking Book of the Fellowship.
Pool of Radiance
ToEE - borefest.
Arcanum - too long.

MM6 - Same, get about 10 hours in then something else comes along. By the time I come back, I forget what I was doing and just re-roll and start over.

Diablo-likes/ARPG's - Build up a character, get bored. Come back wanting to try something else, start over. Repeat.

Geneforge 3 - Get to the 2nd island past starting area. Realize it's pretty much the same as the last Geneforge with the same questions fishing out which faction I prefer and whether my character thinks Serviles deserve better treatment, etc. being asked. Quit.

I hate rpg's

Yeah pretty much. No time, patience, and dedication nowadays to invest in something that's ultimately a timesink. :decline:

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Baldur's Gates. I must have actually replayed the beginning of BGI three dozen times with different characters--I have all the items, dialogues and exploits for Candlekeep memorised, but I always lose steam after clearing the mine in Nashkel. Last time I played, I didn't even try to complete it, just used every trick I could come up with to kill Drizzt for fun.

BGII opening is just too annoying to even complete, for some reason. I feel like it's linear and they just throw everything in the book into this one dungeon that doesn't really feel like some mad wizard's house. I have fun showing Jaheira the mutilated remains of her husband, but that's mostly LARP value.

Arcanum--it fucked my techie. Also, I felt like it was too easy to break quests by playing a thief. 'Break' not necessarily in the 'render uncompleteable' sense but in the 'this quest is no fun any more.' Will replay, though probably as a magic user or melee/charisma character.

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
Witcher - popamole combat bored me from the start, might give it another spin someday

Toee - Didnt finish it because of bugs, since then have started with co8 but some of those added locations somehow killed my interest. Will finish it eventually.

IWD 2 - Despite liking the infinty engine games, i really tired of this one quickly.

mondblut

Arcane
All BGs. *might* someday return to them, particularly in the Trilogy shape. As it stands, I endured roughly half of each of them (including half of TOB).

All TES. Was almost by the final dungeon in both Arena and Daggerfall before burning out. Roughly halfway through Morrowind.

Darklands. In templar dungeon, too.

Pool of Radiance. Went as far as killing fake Tyranthraxus in first playthrough but gave up shortly afterwards.

M&M7, also pretty close to finish.

Return to Krondor. Due to fatal crash in the russian pirated release in a late chapter, for a change. Seriously contemplating giving it another try now, having not removed from inventory a proper english copy. Maybe it will even work with my 10 years old saves, who knows.

King of Dragon Pass. Formed a tribe, had some events that reportedly initiate the final story arc, burned out.

I seem to have issues with that final spurt. Understandable really, once you maxed out your party, got all the loot and saw and killed pretty much all enemies the game has to offer, the plot resolution and a couple more boring levels to wander about (and an Epic Majestic Final Boss Battle, yawn) offer too little incentive to continue. It's like having sex and realizing you aren't going to cum anyway no matter how hard you try. You can go on until you finally go limp, or you can give up and have some sleep. I prefer the later.

mondblut

Arcane
Oh, how could I forget Exile 3. I reached the final fucking confrontation with the end boss only to find I forgot some necessary quest item I was supposed to acquire half a game earlier. Needless to say I couldn't be bothered to go back and seek it.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Never finished ToEE, I still have the save so I might finish it at some point. Stuck in Hommlet after the moathouse fight (need to do rest of the sidequests)

MotB, I dunno why I just stopped playing it. Maybe because I didn't like my character build (weapon master). Also the UI is kinda shitty, especially compared to newer games like Dragon Age 1. I have full intention to re-fire the game up and play from start to finish one day though. I liked the companion NPC's alot.

Arcanum. I was so close to finishing the game, then right at the end I just quit playing. Probably because I read some spoilers (bad habit) and knew what happened at the end and was like "fuck this."

Stinger

Arcane
Witcher 2.

Got to about Act 2 and just put it off to play some other stuff instead. That game was way too cutsceney, the combat was boring with that popping quen crap, I didn't really care for the hilariously grimdark setting/story and overall it was just not that interesting to me. Hell, I'd rather play Witcher 1 over that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom