Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good hot seat action out there?

damicore

Augur
I was looking for a descent TB-multiplayer to play at home with my gf and friends at home while drinking some beers in the vein of HoMM (as in NOT OVER THE INTERNETS).
Haven't played HoMM since HoMM 2 or 3 (don't remember which one) which I used to play back in 90s with my brother and cousin when we were about 8-9 years old and I was thinking the codex was the best place to ask for such a game since I completely lack the knowledge of this types of games. I don't really know how to call them except for HoMM clones and I know only of HoMM and disciples.
It may aswell not be in the vein of HoMM or Disciples although tactical squad based combat is a plus as are rpg feats. The more RPG-feats-heavy the better but you could point me in a better direction, I don't know much about wargames and TBstrategy as stated.
I would just play some PnP but they're way too lazy to even read the Player's Handbook.
Don't really know if this is a good idea to kill some time with friends once in a while but just enlighten me.

Breaking Axe

Educated
How about you play Knights of the Chalice and have each person control a single character?

Breaking Axe

Educated
Yes, well, it works well under the principles you described above, it's essentially playing a PnP adventurer without having to learn the intricacies of the player's handbook. It works just as well as a hotseat game as HoMM except it's not PvP. True it's ostensibly a singleplayer RPG, but I see no reason why it isn't exactly what you're looking for, based on what you described.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Combat Missions have hot seat although not exactly turn-based (basically every player selects course of action then ends his turn and then turn plays out for 60 seconds before both of you regain control)

Beware - they are not simple shit.

Steel Panthers: WW2 and Main Battle Tank have a hot seat TB mode too. Just start the game, select both players as human and play. Free games too.

Padre

Liturgist
Blood Bowl maybe? Not really rpgish but a very good tactical combat.

Remember having a blast playing this puppy via web. Must be even better with beer using hot seat.

I played Ja2 in hot seat :yeah:
It could kinda work with 1.13 since everyone would get their own IMP merc.

More seriously, Warlords is ideal hot seat-beer&pretzels series. 3rd one is my favourite (because it looks pretty ;) )
Master of Orion maybe? Age of Wonders?

damicore

Augur
What are or is Combat Missions?

Was thinking about blood bowl, have never tried that out but the fact that I know next to nothing about american football and/or warhammer wouldn't help much... I guess? I'll still give it a try, looks like fun.

AoW seems to be really hot arround this subforums, care to point its strong points over lets say HoMM?
And what about warlords?

Not way too resources-management focused games would be better I guess? I'll try to give these all a try.

Keep them coming if possible guys :thumbsup:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Blood bowl is a good choice. You can play using the free client at fumbbl.com although teams won't gain SPP from playing hotseat practice matches against yourself.

Do yourself a favour and read the rulebook first though. It'll save you a ton of headaches to know how blocking and dodging is calculated. Also check out their help section. Besides the site rules (they can get quite butthurt if you don't follow them) there's a bunch of helpful tips for new players, including suggestions on starting team lineups for every race.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Combat Mission is a 3D, "We Go" wargame. You both plan your coordinates and orders, then you hit "Go" and the action plays out -- without your control -- for 60 seconds. It's actually very well suited for hot seat playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA630RbGcVo

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Age of Wonders has a Hotseat mode if I remember correctly. It's very similar to HoMM. You can play cooperatively against AI enemies.

Or you could check out the freeware TB strategy game Battle for Wesnoth. Again, you can play against AI enemies there as well.

pipka

Savant
Dwarf Fortress. Hotseat seasons for fast-paced bloodlines playthorough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom