Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC vs. Consoles

DraQ

Arcane
Sceptic said:
DraQ said:
I grew up playing with joystick and pad on c64. Pad works really well for simplistic 2D games like platformers and beat'em'ups. Ever since I switched to PC with mouse and 'board and started playing more complex games requiring more precision and using more complex control schemes, I never looked back.
I've been putting off replaying Descent, Wing Commander, F19/F117, Comanche, and a whole bunch of other games because I don't have a joystick here and I can't bother doing the research to find a worthy replacement for my trusty old Thrustmaster. It's not so much that K+M is more precise or that games are more complex, they're just completely different beasts. I'd never play any of the games I listed on anything other than a joystick. Likewise, I don't plan on buying an actual wheel, so things like Moto Racer or Colin McRae 2.0 practically require a pad for enjoyment. And I'd hardly call F117 or Colin 2 "simple games". The real problem is specifically when FPS and RPG are forced on you with a pad scheme, even if you're on your PC.
I was referring to pad, and c64 joystick with two buttons doing the same and autofire switch was quite distant from modern, highly specialized sticks for hardcore simulation fanatics.

I bet you wouldn't really want to play F117 on a console gamepad either.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
I bet you wouldn't really want to play F117 on a console gamepad either.
Yeah good point. TBH I probably could if they have analog controllers (do the Xbox/PS3 ones?) and you could hold the controller in one hand... yeah never mind.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS WRONG FORUM FOR THIS TOPIC BECAUSE THE BRIANPOWER TO DISCUSS IT ISNT HERE OR IF IT IS THERE WILL BE TEARS AND BLACK FINGERNAIL POLISH AND SELF INDULGENT POEMS WITH HINTS OF SUICIDE

BROS MOST OF YOU PCTARDS ARE DROOLING TO UPGRADE YOUR COMPUTER TO PLAY CONSOLESHIT PORTS ANYWAYS LOLLOLOLOL AT YOU BEING RETARTED

I HAVE A FAGBOX AND A PC THE FAGBOX PLAYS MOST NEW PC GAMES YOU QUEERS DROOL OVER JUST FINE WITH NO FUSS AND I EMULATE OLD SHIT AND PLAY OLDER GAMES ON MY PC

UNLESS YOU HAVE SHIT FOR BRIANS YOU KNOW WHAT WORKS WITH A CONTROLLER BETTER AND WHAT DOESNT

BROS MAYBE THE PC FAD WILL DIE AND PCTARDS WILL CRY THEMSELVES TO SLEEP LOLLOLLOLOL CONSOLE GAMING HAS BEEN AROUND LONGER THAN PC GAMING LOLLOLOL

funkadelik

Arcane
I have played some really awesome games on the PS3, but they suffer from HORRIBELL fucking framerates and HORRIBELL fucking resolutions. Porting all of the shitty games to PC and leavings the ones that need to be ported unported. It's horrible. Seriously, this shit has to stop.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS ONE OTHER THING DID YOU KNOW THAT TELEVISION SCREENS HAVE ANOTHER USE BESIDES GAMING

I HAVE MY TV HOOKED UP TO CABLE CONNECTION WITHOUT A MODEM AND IF YOU DO IT RIGHT YOU CAN GET MOVIES AND SHOWS AND STUFF

IF YOU CAN BELIEVE IT I ALREADY HAD A HIGH DEF TV BEFORE THE NEWEST CONSOLES CAME OUT

DO YOU THINK OTHER PEOPLE HAVE TVS WITH A DUAL PURPOSE USE!!!!????!!! IN COUNTRIES THAT HAVE INVENTED THE TOILET LOTS OF PEOPLES HAVE TVS FOR THE THING I TALKED ABOUT ABOVE CALLED MOVIES AND TV SHOWS

BROS I KNOW I AM DEALING WITH PCTARDS HERE SO ARE THERE ANY TERMS I SHOULD EXPLAIN MORE OR MAYBE IF I TYPED SLOWER IT WOULD COMFORT YOU MORE AND YOU COULD READ BETTER

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BTW BROS CHECK OUT THIS FORUM IT IS ON THE SAME LEVEL AS THIS TOPIC

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/board/31 ... Btitle%3B4

THEY CALL PC USERS HERMITS AND WII USERS SHEEP AND PS USERS COWS AND FAGBOX USERS LEMMINGS

LOOLLOLOL AND IF YOU USE MORE THAN ONE SYSTEM YOU ARE A MANTICORE LOLOLLOLOL BROS THE SHIT I READ HERE IS LIKE FUCKING JUNIOR HIGH SHIT LOLOLOLOLOL

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO MY WIFE AND KIDS DONT FIT AROUND MY LAPTOP SO IF YOU GET LAID AND REPRODUCE MAYBE YOUR BRIANS WILL NEED TO EXPAND

I can understand consoles - but I understood them a fuckload better when they had their own separate gaming tradition rather than the 'port to everything' design we see now.

In the first world, a console is much much cheaper than a gaming rig - there's a particular sweet spot in the cycle that seems to last a good 5-7 years where the consoles drop in price faster than the now-obsolete PC equivalent.

Keep in mind that I'm talking about products that you can walk out of the store with, ready to go. You CAN build a budget gaming PC that handles everything a console can handle, cheaper than the console (though that gets tougher to demonstrate when you factor in that games get developed on consoles first, and are tailored to take advantage of their specific hardware), but for Jo-middleclass buying little Johhny a birthday present, the idea of constructing a custom PC isn't even going to occur to most, and will often be seriously impractical unless they follow gaming sites or know a techie (because if you get a store to do it for you, the service fee will eat up the cost difference).

On the other hand, I've never bought a console, nor considered buying a console, because the console cycle means that it is perfectly viable to just upgrade to a top-of-the-line PC (or, more cleverly, a just-short-of-top-of-the-line PC) and wait until the next console cycle before you bother upgrading again. I'm still sitting on my quad-core with Nvidia GTX280, and I've never yet bought a game I couldn't run on max settings (note - I don't mind the odd stutter, and I haven't played Crysis) - ok, that GTX280 wasn't QUITE out when the Xbox 360 launched, but it was out by the time any games came out that needed an upgrade from the last hardware cycle.

And hell, by most standards, my computer is a venerable gaming rig - far more powerful than the average Joe's computer.

I think there's a clear age factor going on here. When folks talk about console v PC, so often what comes up is things like the location of the rig (lounge v study), and co-op play. Playing games in the lounge co-op with your friends is something kids do. Grown adults don't usually game together socially (ok, there was the old LAN parties at uni, but I don't think we could get that going again these days), and they want privacy when they play. Moreover, they often ALREADY have a PC for working at home, so the comparable cost is really one of upgrading the PC they already have, not of buying the whole rig.

So as an adult gamer, consoles have never held any attraction to me. BUT as a parent with kids who are soon to reach the age where they'll start gaming, a console is actually pretty attractive. Primarily because it's a closed platform - I don't need to be constantly watching the little fuckers to check what they're downloading (or to make sure they don't accidentally delete MY fucked up downloads). And when it comes to my kids gaming, I want a system where we can sit and play co-op with the rest of the family in the room: both for the general family values, and because I sure as fuck don't want to share my gaming rig with them.

So from that perspective, I can see the appeal. I haven't used a console since the days when my parents would have had similar motivations, but I could well turn to the dark side and buy one soon. And I suspect that folks in this position make up a fuckload of the market. Just look at how the releases target Christmas - we;re talking a market targeting parents here, not one trying to appeal to people who buy games for themselves.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO GOOD POST

THE OTHER CONSIDERATION IS THE BIG SCREEN TV FACTOR WITH SURROUND SOUND THAT YOU CAN JUSTUFY TO YOUR WIFE FOR A FAMILY SETUP BUT SHE WOULD TELL YOU TO FUCK OFF IF YOU WANTED THAT FOR ONLY COMPUTER GAMES AND EVEN THEN WHAT THE FUCK WIL YOU DO WHILE SHE WATCHES FAGGOT THE REALITY SERIES SEASON 25!!!

BRO WHEN I GET OLDER I MIGHT GO BALLS OUT WITH A BIG PC SETUP BUT I IMAGINE BY THAT POIONT THE LINE BETWEEN PC AND CONSOLE WILL BE EVEN FURTHER BLURRED

funkadelik

Arcane
Consoles are always outdated. From the moment they are produced, something better is already coming out and therefore they hold back overall development process. So many games that could be in the ranks of the best ever are held back by console limitations. Why the fuck are we getting 15 FPS on a game in 2011 almost 2012? Outdated technology. Two great games suffer from this which are Red Dead Redemption and Dark Souls/Demon Souls. That shit would be perfect on a PC.

Edit: P.S. I buy almost all of my games. I am ready to quit gaming altogether because I realize the amount of time I waste playing games could be spent perfecting guitar playing or business skills. I don't even know...is this real life?????

funkadelik

Arcane
Gregz said:
Captain Shrek said:
Why are there PC vs Console debates?

Because what a console really is, is DRM that works, and PC gamers know it...and they hate losing their free lunch.

:x
My neighbor owns an XBAWKS 3 SIXTAY and NEVER pays for games. What a dumb argument. If a game is shit, no one will pay to play it.

I believe piracy is getting more mainstream because the entertainment industry is putting out some genuinely terrible shit. When I have to pay $9 to see a fucking 90 minute movie, I want it to be watchable. But today, we are getting remakes and sequels that should never be made and the currency dump to experience them is high. The whole entertainment industry has been in a downspiral(decline) since the 2000s...which closely correlates to the horrible fucking reality shows that are so prevalent nowadays. Survivor, fuck you!!!!

made

Arcane
Yea, PC > consoles, but Amiga > PC. Yet the Amiga is dead and I'm forced to put of with PCs anyway. Does that seem right to you?

funkadelik

Arcane
Gregz said:
funkadelik said:
Gregz said:
Captain Shrek said:

Because what a console really is, is DRM that works, and PC gamers know it...and they hate losing their free lunch.

My neighbor owns an XBAWKS 3 SIXTAY and NEVER pays for games.

You still have to buy the console, or more precisely console(s).

How easily could I not buy a gaming PC????

MetalCraze

Arcane
Gregz said:
Captain Shrek said:

What a console really is is a shitty hardware that can't run games with high FPS at good resolutions and has shitty controls with no alternative. Consoles are also catered to morons as their target audience.

Ubisoft also has DRM that works. Their PC sales are down 90% since they've implemented it so it's pretty damn effective.

anus_pounder

Arcane
TripJack said:
Intelligent human beings realize that the debate is pointless and that video games are in fact not that important. There are no intelligent human beings on the codex or, indeed, on internet gaming discussion forums in general.
:dance::dance: :dance:

:lol: :lol: Tripjack and Serious_Business should host some sort of reality TV show together.

Mortmal

Arcane
laclongquan said:
made said:
Yea, PC > consoles, but Amiga > PC. Yet the Amiga is dead and I'm forced to put of with PCs anyway. Does that seem right to you?

I know what Gameboy is. Snes. Saturn. But... dum dee da

What is Amiga?

Heard some oldfag lamenting about Amiga but what is it?

Amiga was clearly superior to pc, your games were selecting 16 to 64 colors from 4096, the music was divine while the pc had cga graphics (4 colors) and some beeps for the same price.If people had told me i would switch to a pc later , i would have laugh in their faces.
If you arent trolling, i highly suggest you to look at http://www.lemonamiga.com/

made

Arcane
Mortmal said:
laclongquan said:
made said:

I know what Gameboy is. Snes. Saturn. But... dum dee da

What is Amiga?

Heard some oldfag lamenting about Amiga but what is it?

Amiga was clearly superior to pc, your games were selecting 16 to 64 colors from 4096, the music was divine while the pc had cga graphics (4 colors) and some beeps for the same price.If people had told me i would switch to a pc later , i would have laugh in their faces.
If you arent trolling, i highly suggest you to look at http://www.lemonamiga.com/

Its gaming capabilities aside, the Amiga OS was decades ahead of anything Windows had to offer at the time. Everything was done better: resource handling, efficiency, multitasking, responsiveness, stability... Finally switching to WinXP was like a slap in the face. Hell, even today Win7 will sometimes lock up when you alt-tab too much and force you to reboot. Does that seem right to you?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Gregz said:
That's bullshit. I remember a release of Bioshock. XBAWK gamers had it for free, legal PC users were screwed up.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Raghar said:
Gregz said:
That's bullshit. I remember a release of Bioshock. XBAWK gamers had it for free, legal PC users were screwed up.

It's not only DRM it's also branding and monopolization.

By having no dependencies and making your own hardware yourself, your R&D gains a few patents you can license or fuck up new competitors with, everyone has to lick your ass to use your SDK, you gain a percentage on all games sold (not only those you produce), and finally the dumbfuck consumer has to chose, and when he does, he's probably yours forever.

I liked the amiga, but it was exactly the same (minus the games tax), like the mac and the others.

IBM dang fucked up when they didn't copyright BIOS and IBMPC left right and center and unleashed a monster.

BTW; "unbreakable" DRM (love the newspeak) is very very close. Just look how long it took to get the private keys to the xbox360, what kind of skill it took, and what happened to the guys that did it.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I am certanly NOT going to buy a console for my kids, if (or rather, when) I would have to deal with them, here's some of my reasoning for that:
1) From my experience of an older with two completely different cousins whom I had to take care of a lot, games where kids can compete create shitfests hotter than exploding volcano. It's tears, "who's turn to play that character", "not fair" ect.
2) In my country, consoles are expensive for reason I don't really understand. A game for PS3 or X-box costs 2000-3000 rubles. A licensed game for a PC is around 500 rubles. Those are packed like this: http://disc-dvd.ru/uploads/film/images/69187.jpg
In comparison, you can have a bottle of beer for 50 rubles. Count how many beer can I drink for one PS3 game :smug:
You can get a PC for about 20000 rubles, and not a bad one, or 30000 with all the supplements. And you could buy it for 0% credit.
3) My father bought me my own PC when I was 13, I think, until then we shared the same one, sometimes we even played each others save games and did't die because of it.
4) I am not really interested in seeing my future child playing Call of Duty. I am going to start up Betrayal at Antara for him/her just like my father did, until he/she finishes it, NO other games until you finish it like I did when I was 10, you little bastard.
5) Unlike parents of little Johny, parents of little Ivans and Vasilisas actually think about consoles as worthless and low-grade pieces of media. When my uncle asked for help in choosing and buying a PC for his little daughter, he did't really thought at how he would play Doom with her. He was interested in educational and creative possibilites which a PC can give his child.

So it's a PC for me, my wife, my children, and my dog even if I have to break my spine to pay all the credits for it :thumbsup:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom