Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play... the Muriad! (4X Grand Strategy)

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Player sheets are being sent out right now. The next turn's orders are due ASAP, for a Saturday update.

Beware feature creep, friends! Conan was experimenting with some additional detail for the Player Sheets, but no way Jose. The projected extra work required would have been untenable.

Johnny the Mule

Educated
[Player Culture] Orders for [Turn Number]
Inui Orders for 3?
I wrote "Inui Orders for Turn 3" cause its sexier...

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Orders in. Hope the Illitrads don't step up their harassment.

I NEED MORE BABIES.

Destroid

Arcane
Probably should call them just Illitrad or the Illitradi Kingdom, Illitradi people, a group of Illitradis. Reads a bit less awkward I think. Or Kingdom of Illitrad.

@Conan: What were the features you were wanting to implement?

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
DamnedRegistrations said:
Orders sent. Really regretting that expansion now, I was agonizing on how to handle the double enemy border situation.

You should conspire with one of them before they both conspire against you.
Yeah, I'm a paranoid fellow (but that doesn't mean they aren't after me!)

laclongquan

Arcane
He's sandwiched between two enemies. As far as bargain's advantage goes, he has zip. Far more likely they conspired against him already.

The logical thing here is to choose the weaker and crush him. Let the stronger beat on you for a while. You got strategic depth, you prolly can take a beating.

In other situation I would advise one truce/treaty and one war. But both of his enemies are bloodthirsty so it's hard to play rat diplomacy in this case. If one of them was a merchant state like Treave's to the south then you could prolly truce successfully. As it is ... >__<

Destroid

Arcane
I don't think a peaceful solution is out of the question, the Jomnii are stated to be merchants AND raiders, while the Emphythines are a PC culture and thus diplomacy is always an option with them.

laclongquan

Arcane
Out of this century of conflict you ever saw the Jomnii traders? From their behaviours, I say there's no Jomnii traders, there's only Jomnii scouts in disguise.

EDIT: Look at Treave's for classic merchant state's actions and strategies.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Destroid said:
I don't think a peaceful solution is out of the question, the Jomnii are stated to be merchants AND raiders, while the Emphythines are a PC culture and thus diplomacy is always an option with them.

As far as the Jomnii are concerned, it's pretty clear that you can trade with them on a long-term basis as long as they can't easily take what you have without trading for it.

An easier option would be if he manages to get a cooperative effort going with the Emphythines to subjugate the Jomnii. Both of them wouldn't need to spend as much on military development as it's essentially 2 against 1, while I don't believe the Barbarian has allowed us an option to pursue alliances with NPC tribes yet.

I figure I may have jumped the gun with the mercantile advances. When we're all still a bunch of bronze age tribes there's no such thing as "too big to fail" when it comes to the regional economy. Relatively defenseless at the moment... that whole merchant state thing seems precarious.

I wonder, will there be chances of opening up trade with unseen powers across the waters or the desert once we reach a suitable level of development?

laclongquan

Arcane
Not really. You kinda look like a Troy state, holding great advantage in trade. What you should do is hunker down, raise profit, establish relations, and improve defense/organization. A merchant state has no need to expand territories, as shown by Trojan various states, and Venice. Though they have small colonies in foreign lands, you can just imagine that as a trade deals with natives.

Trojan cities had great defense (walls) and elite troops. Venice has natural defensive geography so she concentrated on her galleys and marines.

I dont believe Jomnii follow their ancestors' teachings. Viking were great raiders but their long ships carry traders far and wide. Jomnii act too much like river bandits. They stray from ancestors' teachings and they will not have their blessings. Terrible calamity awaits!

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
laclongquan said:
Not really. You kinda look like a Troy state, holding great advantage in trade. What you should do is hunker down, raise profit, establish relations, and improve defense/organization. A merchant state has no need to expand territories, as shown by Trojan various states, and Venice. Though they have small colonies in foreign lands, you can just imagine that as a trade deals with natives.

Trojan cities had great defense (walls) and elite troops. Venice has natural defensive geography so she concentrated on her galleys and marines.

I dont believe Jomnii follow their ancestors' teachings. Viking were great raiders but their long ships carry traders far and wide. Jomnii act too much like river bandits. They stray from ancestors' teachings and they will not have their blessings. Terrible calamity awaits!

Yeah, I don't think I'll take much more than three territories total, the tribe is not geared towards subjugating large swathes of land. I'll probably need to urbanize a bit though.

root said:
I can trade books about astronomy and mathematics if anybody's interested...

:/

MATHS! MATHS IS GOOD. COME MY SANDY-HATTED FRIEND LET US EXCHANGE THE BEST INUI FEMINAZI CRAFTSWORK FOR IMAGINARY NUMBERS.

laclongquan

Arcane
My People of The Ox could play host, of course. YOu are both too far from each other, so you need a place to rest on the way. Why not this middle ground?

What with Panops being the only active tribe around here, the majority of traders will be yours, old chap.

anus_pounder

Arcane
I'm very open to diplomacy, anytime. I would much rather Trade Culture and (religious) knowledge than invest in military. Seems like I picked the worst possible location on the map.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I wasn't originally planning on being a warlike culture either, but the Jomnii seem much more interested in attacking me than the Emphythines, and ramping up the military to deal with that kind of makes the question of whether to pursue war or trade pretty heavily tilted to the former. I don't think they'd bother trading unless forced to by being totally outmatched military wise. Prisoner's dilemma and all that.

Hopefully this will pay off when some as yet unrevealed NPC barbarian horde begins to sweep across the land and try and crush everyone.

anus_pounder

Arcane
DamnedRegistrations said:
I wasn't originally planning on being a warlike culture either, but the Jomnii seem much more interested in attacking me than the Emphythines, and ramping up the military to deal with that kind of makes the question of whether to pursue war or trade pretty heavily tilted to the former. I don't think they'd bother trading unless forced to by being totally outmatched military wise. Prisoner's dilemma and all that.

Hopefully this will pay off when some as yet unrevealed NPC barbarian horde begins to sweep across the land and try and crush everyone.

Could've asked for help. I'm pretty sure we could have eliminated the Jomnii early game if we combined together. Now they're developed enough to put up a fight. In any case, for better or worse I'm still open to diplomacy.

laclongquan

Arcane
treave said:
Yeah, I don't think I'll take much more than three territories total, the tribe is not geared towards subjugating large swathes of land. I'll probably need to urbanize a bit though.
You dont actually have to expand for a few turns. Mercantile state should go toward urbanization. And big town automatically expand if they have enough resources to survive. I calculate if you invest into urbanization and mercantile for one century you will grow to the point where expansion is necessary and your military is strong enough to support that.

Town: trade for resources from surrounding areas and their trade partners==> land requirement is low.
Agriculture villages: get resources from fields (plant crops)==> land requirement is high.
Nomadic tribe: get resources from herding cattles so need bigger meadows==> land requirement is high.

Destroid

Arcane
laclongquan said:
treave said:
You dont actually have to expand for a few turns. Mercantile state should go toward urbanization. And big town automatically expand if they have enough resources to survive. I calculate if you invest into urbanization and mercantile for one century you will grow to the point where expansion is necessary and your military is strong enough to support that.

Town: trade for resources from surrounding areas and their trade partners==> land requirement is low.
Agriculture villages: get resources from fields (plant crops)==> land requirement is high.
Nomadic tribe: get resources from herding cattles so need bigger meadows==> land requirement is high.

Very detailed knowledge... for an NPC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom