Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

An Arcanum mod that cuts out the uninspired combat parts?

baronjohn

Cipher
Yeah, if anything the dungeons ought to have been longer and harder, especially the rather smallish Vendigroth.

UserNamer

Cipher
I actually replayed the game recently, using a master of throwing (grenades mostly) and backstabbing with high charisma

I found the fights at the start of the game actually engaging, world travelling could be lethal if I didn't equip some stun grenades to use against the strongest creatures, I even had to use smoke bombs in a dungeon to defend myself against chain-gun firing skeleton archer (to lower their to hit chance)

but eventually I got the dog (who destroys the challenge at the beginning of the game, if you are having black mountain clan problems I feel bad for you son, I have 99 followers and a dog is one) and then I got to 20 dex with mastery in backstabbing, an high charisma with too many followers, and combat became 100% pointless... no need to use tactics or fear for my life thanks to healing characters and good armor... plus I just reached the vendigroth wastes at that point and then I quit...

Maybe arcanum isn't overly long, but I don't see the point of having such big games. I think the game could be better if it was shrank a bit and had some more challenging encounters designed into it

oscar

Arcane
Thanks CK. Any idea if it's compatible with Drog's patch?

I found the Nosferatu Sewers far worse than the Black Mountain Mines.

I found the fights at the start of the game actually engaging

It's a shame that combat quite quickly became broken and a chore, as the early optional fight with Lucas and his Half-Ogre highwaymen was a lot of fun and pretty damn tough (especially if you couldn't get Sogg to join you).

I also remember the Boiler raping you pretty hard if you tried to waltz in there at the low level your probably at entering Tarant. But sadly that and Stringy Pete are the only fights that ever really push you.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Clockwork Knight said:
The thing is, if you fail a stress-test all you're left with is stress.
Either that or you break it easily and kill everything with zero effort so the dungeons are nothing but a brainless timesink you have to endure to get to the parts that are actually interesting. If there's a "this is just right" combat build for Arcanum I've never played it. It's either frustrating or boring, take your pick.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
zeitgeist said:
Why do so many people seem to think that a boring/monotonous/dull game should (as the main solution to such problems) be made shorter, instead of more fun/varied/engaging?
Because fun in Arcanum is based mostly on social interaction - dungeons are simply a bit out of place there, especially that they forgot to add a good combat system and good encounters.

Erebus

Arcane
baronjohn said:
Arcanum's dungeons were neither especially long or frustrating.

You can't deny that they were repetitive as hell. Some of these dungeons were nothing more than corridors in which you had to fight the same monsters over and over again.

Using Invisibility to avoid countless boring fights is one of the greatest pleasures available in Arcanum.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Roguey said:
Clockwork Knight said:
The thing is, if you fail a stress-test all you're left with is stress.
Either that or you break it easily and kill everything with zero effort so the dungeons are nothing but a brainless timesink you have to endure to get to the parts that are actually interesting. If there's a "this is just right" combat build for Arcanum I've never played it. It's either frustrating or boring, take your pick.

Agreed. Though in my opinion the 'right build' is a consummate tech user in one of the game's hand placed, challenging but not interminable fights. A hard game should kill you, not make you click on 800 wolves.

oscar said:
Thanks CK. Any idea if it's compatible with Drog's patch?

It...should be. I guess it will just overwrite any changes made by Drog. I used it once and the game didn't explode, at least.

By the way, I love how this guy got so butthurt about not being able to do shit about the conspiracy that he uninstalled the game.

Teenager power fantasies - 0

Trollcanum - 1

edit: haha, another one

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
About this "car" idea: are you referencing the famous Car Arcanum mod by the sadly departed Chris Beddoes?

Lord Chambers

Erudite
cboyardee said:
Does anyone know if there are any Arcanum mods where a wizard turns into a car? I'm looking for an Arcanum mod where a wizard turns into a car. If anyone knows of any Arcanum mods where a wizard turns into a car, please let me know, because I'm looking for an Arcanum mod where a wizard turns into a car.

Can someone explain why this is hilarious? Seems like a reference to Carcanum which I'm not aware has a large following here.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Lord Chambers said:
cboyardee said:
Does anyone know if there are any Arcanum mods where a wizard turns into a car? I'm looking for an Arcanum mod where a wizard turns into a car. If anyone knows of any Arcanum mods where a wizard turns into a car, please let me know, because I'm looking for an Arcanum mod where a wizard turns into a car.

Can someone explain why this is hilarious? Seems like a reference to Carcanum which I'm not aware has a large following here.

Can someone explain why this is hilarious? I'm looking for an explanation of why this is hilarious. If anyone knows why this is hilarious, please let me know, because I'm looking for an explanation of why this is hilarious.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Lonely Vazdru said:
Lord Chambers said:
cboyardee said:

Can someone explain why this is hilarious? I'm looking for an explanation of why this is hilarious. If anyone knows why this is hilarious, please let me know, because I'm looking for an explanation of why this is hilarious.
lol

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
baronjohn said:
I rather liked them, they were like a stress-test of your character build.

Come on man. I'll show you a stress-test for your anus. Here's what it came down to

HARM
CLICK ON HARM MAN USE THE SPELL
OH SHEET A GOLEM USE HARM ASSHOLE
HARM I SAID USE HARM NOT FAIRY PINK LIGHTS OF DYING AND RELOAD
I HAVE THIS GREAT BUILD IDEA RIGHT HERE IT INCLUDES HARM
SHIT WHAT'S GOING ON DID YOU PUT A POINT IN HARM
HOHOHO A TECHNOLOGICAL CHARACTER EH SO YOU DON'T ENJOY WINNING
WELL START AGAIN AND USE HARM

Yeah this is great

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Melee tech people can craft a pyrotechnic axe and not have to worry about breaking it against the golems. Charismatic people can get the strongest companions, give them all trash weapons, then order them all to attack with F2 (though I preferred to keep Virgil out of it so I had to stick with turn-based mode to issue attack orders to everyone except him). That's like two more builds right there.

Erebus

Arcane
Just yesterday, I discovered a new kind of uninspired combat in Arcanum. It's called : "shifting your alignment to evil so you can join the dark elves".

At the time, my alignment meter was a bit above +50. Thinking that murdering a few innocents would be more than enough to make me evil, I started killing everyone in Stillwater, knowing that I'd be asked to do so anyway.

And then I discovered that attacking and killing a random innocent person would only shift my alignment toward evil by a single point. Killing some people - such as guards - wouldn't even do that.

Suffice to say that Stillwater really didn't have enough inhabitants for my purpose. I had to move to Tarant and murder most of the population before my alignment meter finally reached -1. Good thing I'd previously lost some alignment points by siding against Bates or who knows how many more cities I'd have had to destroy ?

okashii

Novice
Erebus said:
Just yesterday, I discovered a new kind of uninspired combat in Arcanum. It's called : "shifting your alignment to evil so you can join the dark elves".

At the time, my alignment meter was a bit above +50. Thinking that murdering a few innocents would be more than enough to make me evil, I started killing everyone in Stillwater, knowing that I'd be asked to do so anyway.

And then I discovered that attacking and killing a random innocent person would only shift my alignment toward evil by a single point. Killing some people - such as guards - wouldn't even do that.

Suffice to say that Stillwater really didn't have enough inhabitants for my purpose. I had to move to Tarant and murder most of the population before my alignment meter finally reached -1. Good thing I'd previously lost some alignment points by siding against Bates or who knows how many more cities I'd have had to destroy ?

You could have bought a Dark Helm from any wise woman for a -20 alignment.

Erebus

Arcane
I'm sure there are quicker ways of becoming evil, but you'd think that murdering everyone in sight wouldn't turn out to be the slowest method to achieve that...

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
This thread elicits, in me, a single tear of sadness.

Why are those big meanies mean to Arcanum?
If it wasn't for my stupid digestive system I'd eat copies of Arcanum daily, instead of sliced bread.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Clockwork Knight said:
By the way, I love how this guy got so butthurt about not being able to do shit about the conspiracy that he uninstalled the game.
That's because Arcanum is not MAJESTIC. In Skyrim I became Arch-Mage of the Mages College at Lv 8, just by doing 2-3 quests. And I'm not even a mage.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
felipepepe said:
Clockwork Knight said:
That's because Arcanum is not MAJESTIC. In Skyrim I became Arch-Mage of the Mages College at Lv 8, just by doing 2-3 quests. And I'm not even a mage.

Yeah, and in Arcanum I can make people explode with my mind at level 8, without being arch-mage of shit.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Skittles said:
felipepepe said:
Clockwork Knight said:

Yeah, and in Arcanum I can make people explode with my mind at level 8, without being arch-mage of shit.
But can you became a werewolf? A vampire? The leader of every single organization in the game at the same time? Buy a house & get married? Of course not, only Bethesda can create unique games filled with C&C.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom