Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What if Fallout was the 70's in the future instead of 50's?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A nuclear winter instead of a burned out wasteland. Nature reclaims the earth. Contemporary megaton-range thermonuclear weapons have erased the cities entirely, very little is left of the old world.
Colonies of apathetic and stoned, yet extremely powerful hippies (think Zardoz).
No Vaults. Survivors would be members of hippie communes or rural/survivalist communities who lived far away from the cities.
Lots of angst about social injustice and racism. Have a group of bad guys who reinstate slavery, or something like that.
Less of a focus on gunplay - instead have magical powers created by radiation. Supermutants should be less monstrous and stupid and more like some kind of deformed evil human tribe.
Raiders with sideburns. Black raiders with afros. They'd be organized like 1970's New York street gangs (think The Warriors).
At least one main character would be a badass jive-talking soul brotha.
The entire setting would be less pessimistic, with less of a focus on survival, and more on the challenges of creating a new utopia now that the rotten old world has been destroyed.
Psychedelic hallucination/dream sequences.
Lots of classic rock.

tennishero

Novice
wouldnt be as cool artistically speaking

i mean how can you beat shit like

"when you hear the bomb get under the desk children"

epic. the 50s were the only time america didnt suck (israel's) dick

LOL- im so smart :smug:

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I am disappointed. I was hoping there would be a link, with some amazing art on it. I will have to settle for my imagination.

I do think it would be a good idea, but not the part about no vaults. I prefer late 60s early 70s though, as they were outrageous in those days.

UFO TV Series for vaults, Death Race 2000, for fun things to do with cars.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmm. Okay, maybe there could be the equivalent of Vaults, but they would be some kind of Gene Roddenberry-esque humanitarian/utopian government project - not a product sold by a vaguely sinister corporation like Vault-Tec.
The people in the vaults would wear white robes and be very pale. The women would be ice queens - hot but frigid - in order to avoid overpopulating the vault (think of Paul Ehrlich's works, popular in the day). Once they left the vault, they'd have to be seduced by the rough and rowdy men of the wasteland. :smug:
They'd be vegetarians, eating food grown in hydroponics labs. Mushrooms.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Yeah, that would work.
The white robes would be for the outdoors hippie communes, then. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Oh, and Vault dwellers would be disco fans! :lol:

Destroid

Arcane
Mad Max and A Boy and his Dog are both 70s post apoc movies that had a very heavy influence on Fallout.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It's more correct to say that Fallout was inspired by The Road Warrior, which is more 80's.
(The classic Fallout raiders are an incongruent 80's transplant in the otherwise 50's world. But much cooler than having gangs of greasers in leather jackets or zoot suits, I guess. TUNNEL SNAKES RULE)

alkeides

Arcane
Patron
An alternate 70s where the oil crises of the time lead to a nuclear war would be pretty interesting IMO. There was some movement towards decreased dependence on fossil fuel power which unfortunately never took hold -- that can definitely be elaborated on. Hippies wouldn't be the ones to do the job, it'd still be scientists and engineers who built fortified towns in the wilderness to preserve their knowledge to rebuild civilization. I can see hippies forming nomadic tribes who'd raid farming towns for food though. This blog might be helpful.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
alkeides said:
An alternate 70s where the oil crises of the time lead to a nuclear war would be pretty interesting IMO. There was some movement towards decreased dependence on fossil fuel power which unfortunately never took hold -- that can definitely be elaborated on. Hippies wouldn't be the ones to do the job, it'd still be scientists and engineers who built fortified towns in the wilderness to preserve their knowledge to rebuild civilization. I can see hippies forming nomadic tribes who'd raid farming towns for food though. This blog might be helpful.

Or you could have hippie(ish) scientists:

HI09+Namaste+509.jpg

Zomg

Arbiter
So fallout is the post- nuclear apocalypse of the future imagined by the American people in the '50s

Fallout '70s would then be the post-apocalypse of the future imagined by the American people in the '70s, but the future imagined by the '70s was nuclear apocalypse

Jaesun said:
Fallout Disco Theme...

Well you can tell
by the way I use my walk
I'm a woman's man
no time to talk
Music loud and women warm
I've been kicked around
since I was born

And now it's all right, it's ok
and you may look the other way
We can try to understand
The New York Times' effect on man

(chorus)
Whether you're a brother
or whether you're a mother
you're stayin' alive, stayin' alive
Feel the city breakin
and everybody shakin'
and we're stayin' alive, stayin' alive
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive, stayin' alive
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive

You know, it kind of works. Picture generic apocalypse pictures sliding as the above plays, then the title pops up...

Fallout: NuYork

(this time the screen tint will be a depressing blue, since we had FO3's hepatitis green and F:NV's diarrhea orange)

Renegen

Arcane
That made me think, given that segregation and women in the kitchen still existed in the 1950s, why didnt Fallout have those in?

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Original Fallout took the 50s nuclear war scare theme and made it it's own, but I feel like they really overdid it in the sequels- the music in radio is fucking atrocious and the style in general- toyish zapper guns, teletubby robots and grease gangs- feels out of place.

To add salt to your injuries, Oldfags, I'll also admit I enjoyed the Mad Maxy setting of Fallout:Tactics the most.

Zomg

Arbiter
F1 was basically: the old world was the '50s, the new world is mostly Mad Max 2 plus the panoply of post-apoc movies and literature (e.g. A Boy and His Dog and A Canticle for Liebowitz) . They really didn't even play up the '50sness inside the vault itself, which they could have easily made into a '50s caricature as an artifact of the old world if they wanted to run that shit to the hilt. It was kept pretty separate. Then the '50s stuff started to leak from a diegetic element of gameworld to a motif of the brand.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom