Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN 2 Impressions

Zomg

Arbiter
I'm surprised no one ever made a mod to chop the OC down to its 8-10 hours or so of real content, from the, what, 50-60 actual.

Qwertilot

Novice
Well the character generators sort of strip it down to no time at all ;)

But really I think anyone wanting to do that would just build their own 8-10 hour module. Some of which are good. Having checked again recently most surprised to find an Icewind dale remake. OK so thats not a surprise in its own right but the fact that its both faithful and feature complete up to and including Wyrmstooth? Very surprising. A bit pointless maybe but impressive.
(and no doubt plenty of fun ways to break the later encounters with extreme 3.5 style cheese.).

Wise Emperor

Arcane
To fully appreciate it, you need to play it sev...

1. Play NWN2 OC, quickly abandoning it.
2. Then play MOTB
3. Proceed to SOZ, as in step 1.
4. Finally to Mysteries of Westgate (hugely underrated, great urban adventure).
5. Get back to MOTB playing different alignment.
6. Light a cigarette after experiencing best story after Torment in cRPG.

If NWN2 OC is shitty what can you tell about NWN OC?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"If NWN2 OC is shitty what can you tell about NWN OC?"

Both these campaigns are about average games not shit. Don't be douchebag moran liar.

Qwicol

Novice
I wandered through the Internet when I accidentally spot this very thread on this site. Since I like cRPG and RPG alike I'd like to share my opinion about NWN2.

This game has one major flaw, and this flaw has size of VY Canis Majoris to me.

And this flaw is nor story, nor "active pause", nor sterile locations, It's Mob Spawning System.

For Sigmar and Holy Terra this game is supposed to be an RPG based upon D&D 3.5 but with mob spawning system it looks like:

...allow me to make an reference to traditional pen & paper D&D:
[A: will be Dungeon Master;
B: will be one of players.]

A: There is a cave entrance before you, what will you do?
B: Since I'm a Drow and I can see in darkness I'll go in first as a scout.
A: Ok, you're in. You see straight and narrow corridor, about 30 meters in front of you corridor turns left and you can't see whats behind it. Also there is clearly visible candle at the end. The corridor is empty.

[word of comment: since Drow can see in dark places, and rather small candle is clearly visible for him there is no chance that someone/something is between him and the candle. But behold, here comes ridiculousness of NWN2 ]

B: I'm going in slowly, looking for traps and enemies.
A: Corridor is still empty and You cant see any visible traps.... A GROUP OF SEVEN ORKS APPEARS 2 METERS BEFORE YOU!

end of story.

In real life I'll grab such stupid Dungeon Master by a throat and proceed to flush his head down in a toilet, but since NWN2 does not have head I had to delete this 'something' from my HD.

But humans are weak, and sometimes simple thought comes to my mind - "lets try NWN2 again" and you know what? It's all the same story, every time.

Sorry for lame english of mine, I'm better in listening and reading than speaking and writing.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Everyone knows D&D uses feet not meters. STFU.

Non-english speakers often use meters in their DM'ing, there are even fan-made translations of rulebooks with them. STFU.
(I myself like to give players discriptions in feet and yards sometimes though, because their reaction is always amusing, but they quickly get the hand of it.. pity... there is also a problem when I suddenly start talking feet and yards in real life instead of meters, scaring people, or use my warhammer tape to measure things).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Qwicol said:
I wandered through the Internet when I accidentally spot this very thread on this site. Since I like cRPG and RPG alike I'd like to share my opinion about NWN2.

This game has one major flaw, and this flaw has size of VY Canis Majoris to me.

And this flaw is nor story, nor "active pause", nor sterile locations, It's Mob Spawning System.

For Sigmar and Holy Terra this game is supposed to be an RPG based upon D&D 3.5 but with mob spawning system it looks like:

...allow me to make an reference to traditional pen & paper D&D:
[A: will be Dungeon Master;
B: will be one of players.]

A: There is a cave entrance before you, what will you do?
B: Since I'm a Drow and I can see in darkness I'll go in first as a scout.
A: Ok, you're in. You see straight and narrow corridor, about 30 meters in front of you corridor turns left and you can't see whats behind it. Also there is clearly visible candle at the end. The corridor is empty.

[word of comment: since Drow can see in dark places, and rather small candle is clearly visible for him there is no chance that someone/something is between him and the candle. But behold, here comes ridiculousness of NWN2 ]

B: I'm going in slowly, looking for traps and enemies.
A: Corridor is still empty and You cant see any visible traps.... A GROUP OF SEVEN ORKS APPEARS 2 METERS BEFORE YOU!

end of story.

In real life I'll grab such stupid Dungeon Master by a throat and proceed to flush his head down in a toilet, but since NWN2 does not have head I had to delete this 'something' from my HD.

But humans are weak, and sometimes simple thought comes to my mind - "lets try NWN2 again" and you know what? It's all the same story, every time.

Sorry for lame english of mine, I'm better in listeningand reading than speaking and writing.
Comparing pnp gaming with cRPG is stupid. That said, enemy spawing is fucked up in the game, although not so much as you describe it.

misha

Educated
With all respect, but NWN2 was at least team based. I couldn't figure out who was so retarded in Bioware to make NWN(1) combat system so boring.

And in comparison to these two, MotB was a masterpiece...
masterpiece i hoped DA:O at least will pretend to be.

laclongquan

Arcane
Qwicol said:
spouting some bullshit those fucking PnPfags usual spout when they compare PnP systems with computer games.

For Fuck's Sake! It's a fucking game made for computers, not a bunch of nerds sitting around a table jerking off. Its players are mostly single users. It runs on computer systems, not a bunch of books and your nerdy mouths. Why the hell do you keep on comparing those PnP games with computer games? Dont you know that make you looks like idiotic dorks to us non-PnP gamers?

Frankly, you all look like a bunch of inferioty-obsessed gamers who need constant reassurance by badmouthing other game-systems.

Get a spine, FFS!

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I am pretty sure RTwP combat combined with a shit ton of crappy trash encounters is what stopped me from getting past Act I of the NWN2 OC. PS:T is the only game with that combat style that I was able to finish and I guess that was due to quite few combat sections and the story was to interesting to stop. Fairly sure I am not going to make it past chapter 1 of IWD as well, only thing keeping me going is the fact that I created the party myself, which seems to keep me interested somehow. It seems exceptionally horrible as I am coming off a playthrough of ToEE, where combat fucking rocked :( .

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
J_C said:
Comparing pnp gaming with cRPG is stupid. That said, enemy spawing is fucked up in the game, although not so much as you describe it.
It's actually worse. Nothing like watching a group of enemies fade in right in front of you, killing them, then heading in another direction only to watch that same group spawn again right in the middle of your group (and repeat x1000) because the amateurs at Obsidian couldn't figure out NWN's spawn triggers.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Roguey said:
It's actually worse. Nothing like watching a group of enemies fade in right in front of you, killing them, then heading in another direction only to watch that same group spawn again right in the middle of your group (and repeat x1000) because the amateurs at Obsidian couldn't figure out NWN's spawn triggers.

So it's an inherent engine flaw and not just crappy module design?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Spawning enemies out of sight is a necessity (just look at how the framerate dips when there are a large number of characters on screen; for example the snake bandit cave in SOZ when about two dozen attack you at once) but NWN2's spawning them within player sight and even multiple times was outright crappy module design. Here's a Bioware writer calling them out on it even.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Roguey said:
J_C said:
Although I haven't played NWN2 since its release, I don't recall it being that bad. But it was a long time ago.

Qwicol

Novice
laclongquan said:
Qwicol said:
spouting some bullshit those fucking PnPfags usual spout when they compare PnP systems with computer games.

For Fuck's Sake! It's a fucking game made for computers, not a bunch of nerds sitting around a table jerking off. Its players are mostly single users. It runs on computer systems, not a bunch of books and your nerdy mouths. Why the hell do you keep on comparing those PnP games with computer games? Dont you know that make you looks like idiotic dorks to us non-PnP gamers?

Frankly, you all look like a bunch of inferioty-obsessed gamers who need constant reassurance by badmouthing other game-systems.

Get a spine, FFS!

You're very single minded to say such things about pnp players. Do some research and then make shitstorm about "nerds sitting around table jerking off". You owe them because first cRPG games was based upon "nerdy" pnp D&D created by nerdy nerds [jerking off of course].

Look at this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_role-playing_video_games

And I'm comparing NWN2 to pnp D&D because on it's cover you can see "Forgotten Realms", you have dice roller mechanics with visible results in chat window and character development system taken from D&D egro this game was meant to simulate pnp version.

LoPan

Learned
The list goes on, but not my time, so let me say:
I have no god, not anymore. I’ve played that shit,
Neverwinter Nights 2, original content.
But despite its efforts, it taught me this nugget:
No game can be perfect, but most are better than
Neverwinter Nights 2, original content.
So make me a dragon, hawk me some console shit,
Give me access to some sweet digital poontang.
Neverwinter Nights 2, original content,
I wish I played you sooner, please accept my apology.
You have reinvented disappointment for me.
I still have hopes for Mask of the Betrayer, though.

I’ll play it after I download Dragon Age 2.

If your head has made the wall to dent,
And all that's left's ennui,
Then some who here within frequent
May loosely speak of wee.

To shit do I not dare allude
As lewd as this does seem,
To grant it substance, past the beam,
Would be seemingly obscene.

But, my spring-haired maiden,
(To which your attributes I'll assume)
'Tis second age of dragons--
Its micturition'll leave a prune.
To that fair-laden Faerun I do bid you return
For from the Mask of the Betrayer
Meanings of quality you may learn.

We all agree--it seems to me--
That God made mice and men.
Both laid plans, and some were shams
Made at times by Obsidian.
So do not gloat the sorry throat
Of Bioware's town-whore;
For being scrupulous and unsure
Is all our kind'll have to endure.
For sometimes, when left alone,
Bereft its pleading, transient moan,
It could produce a pitch to shine
The way out of this murky grime.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
A teeny bit of extra effort for making syllables match in various lines would have made it soooo much better, LoPan. Next time you have an idea, polish before release - unlike Obsidian.

:troll:

LoPan

Learned
Mozgoëbstvo said:
A teeny bit of extra effort for making syllables match in various lines would have made it soooo much better, LoPan. Next time you have an idea, polish before release - unlike Obsidian.

:troll:

Under the circumstances it simply seemed the appropriate form of response.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
'twas, 'twas.
It is just that ordered-but-quite-not-so-ordered-verse always irks me (only a bit in your case, you did good).

Yes, I have this faggotry for some poetry.
C'mon, Codex, take your cheap shots.

MCA
Andyman Messiah said:
I didn't read that shit but I posted in this thread anyway.

I'm the only winner.

As a reward, we'd like to give you a free tour of the dog food factory.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom