Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which RPG has had the most impressive modding community?

The best one has been for...

• Temple of Elemental Evil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fallout 1 and 2

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Knights of the Old Republic 2

• Bloodlines

• Arcanum

• Neverwinter Nights

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Neverwinter Nights 2

• Morrowind

• Oblivion

• Fallout 3 and New Vegas

• Skyrim

• Torment

• Other

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
roll-a-die said:
Unreal Engine games are encoded in such a way as to discourage modifications like this. bytecode is encrypted and so on, it's because EPIC charges you as a dev if you want to include the modding toolkit with the game, and also does some scary shit like demanding source code access, allegedly to tailor the UDK experience

majestic

roll-a-die

Magister
SCO said:
roll-a-die said:
Unreal Engine games are encoded in such a way as to discourage modifications like this. bytecode is encrypted and so on, it's because EPIC charges you as a dev if you want to include the modding toolkit with the game, and also does some scary shit like demanding source code access, allegedly to tailor the UDK experience

majestic
Single best use of that meme I've seen so far on this forum.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
roll-a-die said:
Infinitron said:
waywardOne said:
Poll subversion: which RPG needs a good mod community?

Alpha Brotocol

Although that really needs more of a 'patch community' than a 'mod community'.
Unreal Engine games are encoded in such a way as to discourage modifications like this. bytecode is encrypted and so on, it's because EPIC charges you as a dev if you want to include the modding toolkit with the game, and also does some scary shit like demanding source code access, allegedly to tailor the UDK experience to the game. This is why even games like Mirrors Edge which uses pretty much a base UDK can't be modified at all decently, because EA didn't want to pay EPIC for the users rights to mod their game. It's also entirely publisher conditional if they allow it, because generally the publisher pays for your engine.
:rage:

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Alpha Protocol is playable as it is. If you need to fix mouse stuttering or improve the game's graphics you can just edit a couple of ini-files.

Still, I wouldn't mind seeing Albatross nude mods.

Callaxes

Arbiter
I'm still holding a candle it for the Tamriel Rebuilt team.

Woo! You go guys!

I don't even care if you finish anything, you're already my heroes for giving me some kickass desktop wallpapers.

Baron

Arcane
NWN. Modding turned an awkward bland single player game into an extraordinary, diverse and creative online community of persistant worlds that had me addicted for 5 or 6 years. I never got around to playing the downloaded single player mods, but I heard many were great.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
NWN hands down, so many fan made modules gave me huge amount of fun gameplay.

Wise Emperor

Arcane
One guy, one game, endless patches - WESP.

Kotor2, Bloodlines, Arcanum, NwN2, FO2 needed official patches, then mods.

1.TOEE and BG definitely profited from community.

2.NWN got some great modules and mods. THE BEST EDITOR EVAR!

FO & Torment are near perfect and needed just some modernization. Qwinn

FO:NV & Skyrim are too new to have something nice to offer from modding community. Time will tell.

Oblivion and FO3 are beyond repair.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Jaesun said:
The Baldurs Gate modding community.

The OP and this poll is shit.
Baldur's Gate is just never the first thing to come to my mind when I think of RPGs in general.

The obvious reason is that I have never played those games. So I almost think of them as nonexistent. Even though I should not, and even though they are supposed to occupy a pivotal position among RPGs. Out of sight, out of mind.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
The thing about BG/BG2 mods is that there are so many choices. And there are choices within the choices. For god sakes how many options are in SCS I/II alone. You can make a IE game anything you want it to be.

Someday I will finish Improved Anvil.

Codexlurker

Savant
Choices&Consequences. Made by codexer Lingwei and suffers from some bugs. The best part of the mod is that it introduces skill requirements to advance in the guilds. In the vanilla game a warrior can become leader of the Mages Guild, for example. With this mod you really need to be an archmage material to become leader.

This would be awesome--- if the game wasn't Oblivion. Still, that's a great and I just argued about that today(in my many bouts of Oblivion rage).

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Remember, the topic is the most impressive mod scene, not the most accomplished mod scene.

So while the NWN mod scene is accomplished, it may not be that impressive as the game was always designed to be a platform for extensive mods. Even JA2 1.13 has to lose a few points as we eventually got the full source code for JA2 (still the best mod scene though).

On the other hand, a game like TOEE is very difficult to mod, so Co8 is pretty impressive, despite the fact that they can't fix the fundamentally poor quality of TOEE.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Strategy games have some of the most impressive mod scenes.

You could say that the quality of a game's mod scene is an excellent estimator for the average IQ of the player base - as long as you normalize it by the number of people who played the game.

So, Doom or Half-Life aren't particularly highbrow, but so many people played them, that there were enough players that were smart enough to make for an excellent mod scene.
On the other hand, Troika games were played by relatively few people, but judging by the mod scene, a large percentage of them were quite :obviously:.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"So while the NWN mod scene is accomplished, it may not be that impressive as the game was always designed to be a platform for extensive mods."

Quite bullshit. The fact NWN was designed for mod scene in mind makes it even better - espicially since its mods scense is, by far, the best when it comes to actual new content and just little addin shit like other games. Original material, new stories, new style of plays - from loose and fast to hardcore D&D that even ahrdcore DnD lifers find too hardcore - etc., etc.

No other modding community even comes close.

The BG series modding scene is absolute shit in comaprison with only a handful of major mods and those major mods are shit. It says a lot that the best 'unofficial mod' for the Bgs eries had to be developed by one of the actual makers of it. What a load of crap.

And, the ES series moddings cene tends to add little shit in not actual new content.

1. NWN

1 million. Everything else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom