Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jowood/1C games

Renegen

Arcane
anus_pounder said:
Renegen said:
Just FLY, The Guild : Renaissance isn't broken anymore, I have it and it's great. I find this LP is pretty good at getting you excited for it.

Tried Guild 2 back when it was first released. I kinda liked it, but it was way too buggy and my computer too shitty to try properly. What does this Guild : Renaissance add to the game ?

I never played the original. It probably adds some additional professions.

I tried hammer and sickle, but the retardedly unrealistic weapon degredation got on my nerves, as it does in many games where it's implemented, always feels like I'm fighting with plastic equipment. I know it's probably implemented this way to make the skill tied to it somewhat useful, but it feels like crap.

Renegen

Arcane
anus_pounder said:
Oh. In that case, how much variety and content does the game have ?

A lot, it's a solid strategy/RPG game, that you can play for a long time. A lot of replayability. There's probably around 10-15 professions, and then there's public life, trying to get elected, building your dynasty, buying up the whole town, up to you.

Crichton

Prophet
JoWood gave us the first three Gothic Games, which are all worth looking at if you'd a like a more limited and more coherent version of the Elder Scrolls games.

Silent Storm has a fantastic engine, but it is kind of silly. It's sort of like Marvel Comics made a superhero comic about WWII and Micheal Bay made a film out of that. From a gameplay standpoint, all the sci-fi crap, the stealth system and the spotting system all kind of work against it. It's still worth playing, particularly with that mod that removes some of the sci-fi stuff. I've only played the demo of Hammer and Sickle because it looked awful. Having that game development studio focus on plot and characterization is like Gunter Grass deciding to write hard-boiled detective stories; complete cock-up.

From 1C, both Fantasy Wars and the sequel, Elven Legacy are worth a look. I've tried to play "King's Bounty" but it's just too repetitive. The cute, simple tactical battle system from HoMM just can't carry a game without the HoMM strategic layer.

Qwertilot

Novice
The battles in the various KB games only really superficially like those in HoMM - somehow there's an awful lot more strategy going on. I'm not entirely sure why. Certainly worth trying as if you do take to the basic idea - and some people, like me, do strongly - it can be a huge time sink with AP, Crossworlds etc.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Renegen said:
anus_pounder said:

A lot, it's a solid strategy/RPG game, that you can play for a long time. A lot of replayability. There's probably around 10-15 professions, and then there's public life, trying to get elected, building your dynasty, buying up the whole town, up to you.

Man. I should probably just make a new topic. But do you have any idea what the latest version is ? I'm currently downloading the 4.15 patch.

Renegen

Arcane
anus_pounder said:
Renegen said:
anus_pounder said:

Man. I should probably just make a new topic. But do you have any idea what the latest version is ? I'm currently downloading the 4.15 patch.

Yeah, that's what I have 4.15 for Renaissance.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I could never find a Hammer & Sickle and was too bothered to get it online. I really did enjoy Silent Storm, though. Played through it numerous times and even did a successful solo-run (including not taking a PK). The Panzerkleins never bothered me. The game has these very destructable environments and, really, taking the PK's giant guns to buildings is pretty awesome. The game's engine, IMO, is really outstanding, some glitches aside. When it came out it looked amazing, too. I don't know why it never really picked up steam with more TBS games. If I were to make a (correct) JA3 that would be the sort of engine I'd want used.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Only a word to you, sser; if you consider yourself a fan of hardcore and a more hardcore Silent Storm is something you think you'd like, please DO bother to find it on the intahrnets.

Shit gets ridiculously hard since the first fight, where you have to think off your feet right away.
Only thing that bothered me about it it was the fact it rushed me, since time passed ingame would also pass on the worldmap and certain missions that should be planned carefully spur you on because of the ticking clock. That's the only meaty flaw I could find in the game.

Circuitbreaker

Liturgist
Silent Storm & Silent Storm Sentinels are on the same level as JA2 as far as I'm concerned. If you could mix the depth and AI of JA2 with the engine of Silent Storm (destructible objects, better interface) you'd have the ultimate turn-based squad game.

Hammer & Sickle is lacking somehow in balance due to bugs and often being ridiculously difficult. It's still recommended if you like Silent Storm.

King's Bounty:Armoured Princess is the best pick from the KB series.

visions

Arcane
sser said:
I could never find a Hammer & Sickle and was too bothered to get it online.

It can be found on ebay for cheap, but the original copies come with starforce, if I'm not mistaken.

:rage:

baronjohn

Cipher
I liked Precursors. Too bad the game feels half finished.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom