Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News LambdaRogue: The Book of Stars 1.6.1 released

getter77

Augur
Tags: LambdaRogue

<p>Major new release here foks, even if the last version was only 1.6.0. &nbsp; As it has been awhile, and could be new to many people since the likes of Dredmor began to enthrall, this is a story-centric, single player Roguelike with both a classical ASCII mode and, well, the update below kind of clarifies from there...</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>http://lambdarogue.net/&nbsp; Site got a redesign and has various supplemental/informative/spoiler content incoming in the near future</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Short version of the changelog from the man behind the project, Mario Donick:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>"Finally, I'm able to release the next significant update for LambdaRogue: LR 1.6.1 "The Morning Star Conspiracy":</p>
<ul>
<li>More Gameplay: Besides a more clever AI, rebalanced magic, and numerous small additions, bug fixes and tweaks, the update introduces a significantly enhanced profession and religion system, with unique powers depending on profession rank.</li>
<li>New Graphics: Amazing Brasilian artist Cecilia Favo de Mel created an exclusive new tileset, new effect icons, new GUI elements, and new character portraits. Enjoy a breath of fresh visual air blowing through LambdaRogue's dungeons.</li>
<li>New Questline: Ever wondered why Thanan betrayed the Temple of Enoa? Ever wanted to know what the real story behind the Crystal of Redemption is? And ever asked yourself which role Eris really plays in the ongoing events? The Morning Star Conspiracy has all the answers.</li>
</ul>
<div>Within the next days, the website will be updated with new screenshots, the new quickstart guide, and a complete spoilers file (guidebook) in full-color PDF format -- but the game itself can be enjoyed today!"</div>
<div><br /></div>
<div>Windows/Lion/Linux, with the general Source also available.&nbsp; Rather nice release to see towards the end of the year here.<br /></div>

DakaSha

Arcane
never got into lambdarogue
still id like to hear impressions. maybe im just a dumbass

pipka

Savant
Pretty good. Nice atmospheric music. Every action has a sound. And the new tiles are good (not overused nethack tiles). Story is ok, nothing special, reminiscent of M&M series and Arx Fatalis.
I'm pretty early and die a lot. Cuz no health regen and it's kind of complicated to find potions.

Greek gods! And the most annoying one is Ares. A lot of little worms in the narrow corridors. You can pass through them only over their dead bodies, which angers Ares. Faggot.

getter77

Augur
There's a way to simply get past those worms without just killing them outright, but the exact specifics escape me at the moment.

If you dial some entries back in the devblog, at least one catalyst for this release to kick things to a higher gear was how well ToME 4 had been going in recent times. The general plan is to get as much feedback from newcomers and all else as possible and try to wrangle a flurry of activity from about now until about March of next year while the time more easily avails to work on it all.

MCA
I submitted a shitload of news content (through the "contact us" form) that weren't about shit news like shitty updates to shitty games (ps. don't know about LambaRogue) or fucking modifications but actual new games. None has gone through. Is this DU's way of trolling those of us trying to contribute something?

getter77

Augur
While the game isn't an actual Angband variant, it does employ that notion as opposed to the Nethack permanence of floors.

fuck yeah Cecilia Honeycomb

I'll admit I'm downloading because of the prettiness and the "doesn't have a trillion hotkeys" blurb (I'm popamole, sue me), even though I'm not sure how a roguelike with an "emphasis on story" would work. ToME is pretty forgiving and even then the story is presented with the occasional scroll left in a cave.

mariodonick

Novice
DakaSha said:
pipka said:
Every time you go up/down the stairs, level changes. Why?

Because its much easier to program this way

Eh, not at all. Generated random levels are stored as textfiles in "levels/random" folder, and it would just require to store them in "levels/premade" to keep them permament (... players could even do this manually).

So, the reason is simply that I hate permanent levels, but love the style Moria / Angband does it. :)

betamin

Learned
I always want to try this but never do, I don't know why. Hoping for some codex reviews.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
villain of the story said:
I submitted a shitload of news content (through the "contact us" form) that weren't about shit news like shitty updates to shitty games (ps. don't know about LambaRogue) or fucking modifications but actual new games. None has gone through. Is this DU's way of trolling those of us trying to contribute something?
I don't see any trace of this in the "Contact Us" section.

I guess DU deleted it.

DakaSha

Arcane
mariodonick said:
DakaSha said:
pipka said:
Every time you go up/down the stairs, level changes. Why?

Because its much easier to program this way

Eh, not at all. Generated random levels are stored as textfiles in "levels/random" folder, and it would just require to store them in "levels/premade" to keep them permament (... players could even do this manually).

So, the reason is simply that I hate permanent levels, but love the style Moria / Angband does it. :)

Easier

DakaSha

Arcane
3/10
Mildly effective

I'm obviously being a prick. In some RL designs it would be easier but if the game is fairly simple it prob isnt a prob at all (as he stated above)

getter77

Augur
The site now has the Game Guide updated on the righthand section---essentially a non-spolier manual that first time players and people only familiar with the older editions will probably want to glance over to get the current gist of things down.

Qwertilot

Novice
Regenerating levels is a very real, purposeful design choice. Two main consequences:

The first is that there is a potential real cost associated with leaving a level - you lose the loot/monsters on it. Especially effective if you hit something like a greater vault which will be stuffed full of very high level loot and monsters etc. Yes you'll eventually generate that all again but probably not for a very long time so is it worth the danger? It also lets the player control the game rather more by, if required, generating a lot of levels of a given level of danger.

Once you go for permanent levels (esp if you don't refill) you're forcing people to clear them all, rely on finding stuff in sequence etc. Quite different styles really :) Certainly something like Angband with permanent levels would be a very different, much harder, game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom