Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your prediction of the gameing landscape in 5 years!

Johnny the Mule

Educated
Shoot! Five years is short yet unpredictable enough to guess wildly!
We'll bump this thread when its time.

16 cores and 16 gig of ram will be the norm... on the PC. ;)
Software will lag behind the cores though. Like now.
SSDs will drop to around 25 cents per gig.

What the dumbasses call good-for-what-it-is RPGs and play all day long will be extensively MMO. All of it! :lol:
Disgusting larping running simulator shit like Skyrim will be actually a niche. (one can dream...)
AoD will still not be released.

China will have produced their first decent game that lands in the Western hemisphere with some applause.

Tactical wargames will be as dead as they always were.
The games I like will still be with me. Wargames don't change.

Microsoft will securely lead in the next console war. With Wiintendo. Sony will play the third fiddle.
AAA garbage will be developed for consoles and always ported to PC due to a huge install base with good enough hardware and cheapness of the porting.

RISC Cpu's like ARM will continue expanding.
Intel will try to cash in on it too and fail but not epic'ly, slow and hurtful.

AMD will split into AMD and ATI.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It all depends on whether a new console with a new killer app exploiting the new technology shows up.
We've been in a kind of sequilitis stasis for so many years that we've forgotten how it is to have something totally new and cool out there.

Re: PC Gaming. I think that if Valve grow rich and powerful enough, they could sell standardized gaming PCs with auto-updating drivers and Steam built into the OS as a competitor to consoles. If it was cheap enough, I think that, advertised properly, this could be a smashing success. The recent technological stasis in gaming means that upgrades would no longer be the problem they once were (maybe there could be an easy to use video card upgrade port on the back?).
They could call it a SteamBox.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Nintendo already lost the battle with the retarded Wii U.

MS is gonna have Kinect 2 for the Xbox next, which makes it the new Nintendo. Portfolio will be restricted to Forza, Gears and Halo.

The true winner will be Sony, not necesarrily due to the hardware, but because they are the better publisher and have the best in-house developers (compared to Nintendo and MS).

PC gaming? Gimmicky Blizzard and Valve shit. Multiplayer. Always connected, and other bullshit.

Johnny the Mule

Educated
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... _hdFSnOEI#!

fucking sail

sail

this is how i show my love

oh bby my miny because

depled baby

this i how an agnle cries

surpieres

bybbe sothing something

SAIL

SI LA

SIAL

SiL A
SAI L

by bi hsoul cri yotfor hel

byba y whosout l give myself

avp byba

bybay i m differn brreed

bybay

sail

SAYIL

SAIL

d....

lallalalalllalal

lalallalal
oh
lalal
lalallalal
ohlalalla

SIL A

dum dumd udmmmd m

SAI LSAI L

SIAL

SILA
SILA

sial

img agonna dra wseom hangeing

sila

sail

why is that im not hppy with my life i had i wife a kid sixty k job
why cant bym brain be happy ? ...........................

salk kaaaaaaa lkklaaa sfuck

Renegen

Arcane
I like what Morgoth said, but I will add that we will have a slight proliferation of good games on the PC. I think they went away for a few years but it wasn't permanent. I also think that Sony will be weaker than ever.

TripJack

Hedonist
games will be shittier in five years than they are now

that is all that i can say with absolute certainty

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BUT FOR REAL BROS

THE INDIE SHIT WILL GET BIGGER ESPECIALLY FOR PC

BIG BUDGET SHIT WILL BE MORE AND MORE CONSOLE FOCUSED

DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION WILL INCREASE

PEOPLE WHO MOSTLY PIRATE SOFTWARE WILL HAVE INCREASED REASONS TO CRY LIKE LITTLE GIRLS

BIG COMPANIES WILL CONTINUE TO CRY LIKE LITTLE GIRLS ABOUT PIRATES

sser

Arcane
Developer
A smoldering ruin with Facebook and app cannibals scurrying about.

laclongquan

Arcane
Yo, Felix! Thought you lost to the decadent ways of the Japs already.

Anyway, in five years AI software will advance enough to make use of the hardware's capacity.

Massive market simulation games like Patrician 3 will be fully in 3D, with dozens of goods changing prices minutely.

Massive battle simulations will also be possible with several sides execute its own tactics: AI simultanously command lighter units flanking PC's side, and push heavy units straight up the middle under the covering fire of ranged units.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
In five years everything will require internet connection and 3D glasses. Oldschool crpgs will now be played exclusively by art-school graduate hipster assholes.

Felix

Arcane
No way, I still take pleasure on using Japanese language from god know while
and look at their faces in amusement though.

I want more game like Ninja Gaiden, gameplaywise.

baronjohn

Cipher
Five years? TES6 will just have been released. It will have one stat: "level", and three skills: combat, magic and "everything else". The graphics will be very pretty, but utterly generic. The gameplay will have further evolved: not only will you be able to do everything with one character like in Skyrim, you will be able to do everything at the same time: cast magic while hacking away at the enemies with an axe! pick locks while falling down stairs! talk to people and barter while sleeping! TES 6 will truly be splendiferous.

Stinger

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
The first bug free game released by Obsidian or Bethesda.

Dungeon Siege 3 already did that. As flawed as it was in other areas.

DaveO

Erudite
Bioware will close up as a developer and some new studio will be the subject of multiple Codex threads. Lord British will fail in his new gaming endeavors, so he'll just go into outer space again. Games will be coded so badly that official Game Support Gurus will be the newest profession.

MetalCraze

Arcane
A gaming landscape in 5 years:

TES 2017: Majesticland for only $79.99 - you can select two stats - health and magicka since talented designers at Bethesda found that running for 20m and getting tired is not fun in a Role Playing Game.
Get ready for the return of a legendary Horse Armor DLC that you unfortunately missed since you are playing games only for 2 years on your XBox 1080 (yes consoles reach the whopping 1080p 3D resolution this year!). However Bethesda never ceases to innovate and thus Legendary Horse Armor DLC comes in 2 parts, $4.95 each - after buying both of which you will be able to craft a Horse Armor! Yes, dear TES fans - Bethesda introduces crafting into their series this year, something no RPG has ever done before.

Call of Duty Modern RPG - as RPG genre gains popularity, about which people in 2000s could only dream, Infinity Ward brings out its addition to the great genre. And not without innovations - the game features two stats - the first determines how fast your health regenerates and the second, first time ever in games, makes your bullets regenerate faster. The story takes place in a post-apocalyptic desert not long after World War 5 depicted in the last Call of Duty. The desert is being invaded by muslims, looking for a new home after their previous one became an ocean due to the events of World War 4. And only you, the grandson of a legendary Soap, can stop them. But are muslims really behind this? Only you and the only man you can trust, called General Shepard can find out the real truth.

Barbie RPG, developed by Obsidian Entertainment.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
and the second, first time ever in games, makes your bullets regenerate faster.
:lol: :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom