Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Forums are up...

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Quote streamlining saves up enormous amounts of database space. If we took out all the redundant phpBB text pyramids we're dragging around in archives, we'd probably lower the size of the Codex database to a third or less. vBulletin took them out 5+ years ago, as did every other serious forum system. So it makes sense from every perspective to keep it as it is - of course, XF still needs to add multi-quoting to make quoting multiple people easy.

Your argument is invalid because I do not care about database space and it is my god-given right to bitch about things.

Also when is my signature going to be reactivated. I deleted the classy image I had in there.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Umm just go to their profile and click on the tabs "Recent Activity" and "Postings" for all your stalking needs.
Ah, found it. For some reason the buttons in the profile page are white text on a white background for me. Didn't realize they were actually there.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Actually, fuck it... pick Fluid from the style selection. Too much whining...

Obviously all the big sites which are almost without exception fixed width don't know what they're doing.

Yay, Fluid's great. I seriously don't know what reason could someone have to prefer fixed width tbh.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yay, Fluid's great. I seriously don't know what reason could someone have to prefer fixed width tbh.

Large widescreen monitors. For the odd occasion that someone actually bothers to write more than a single sentence on the same line.

Ideally, you'd have a mix of both. Scale for resolutions above the minimum (1024x), 100% for resolution below it.

SoupNazi

When I pick the fluid option the fucking text box stretches so far I have to turn my head to read when somebody posts more than a one-liner. While Codexers are known for their retarded one-liners, of course, occasionally I want to read a nice wall of text, too. And for that to happen I need to have nice, comfy paragraphs, not a single line that stretches out along the sides of my 24" Samsung.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why the new Codex design sucks:
1. The design is ugly compared to the old one. The previous had a nice background and it was easy to read. Now we have white background in the "standard" design which is too fucking bright and the Temp Codex design is just horrible, especially since all the text is restricted to the middle of the screen (seriously wtf).
2. Avatars need to be EXACTLY ONE SIZE and they're all square. If people have no avatar, there's a question mark displayed, which is annoying. User titles aren't in the "Codex font" either and don't have colors, so it's harder to spot newfags.
3. You have to hover over a thread title to see how many pages it has, before you could see them automatically.

:decline:

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
So the Codex is actually being officially reopened?

I'd prefer to keep the current front page up and continue the Codex as a secret society.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Just FYI - as long as the front page says we're not here, it means anything / everything else is still pretty much "under construction" and likely to change drastically at any time.

And the fact we're still in third place for internets is abysmal. I should shut the whole place down until we win all the internets. There are 200 people online right now. What is this? We should easily have broken 10k internets in a day - clearly a lot of the guests are holding out.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Actually, fuck it... pick Fluid from the style selection. Too much whining...

:x

Looks great. Now make all the boxes square, get rid of the faggy link-buttons, turn off all the pop-up shit, disable quick posting, get rid of the page-hide-secret crap, put the names and titles back over the avatars, disable smileys in the post-boxes and replace them with :commands: and reintroduce multi-quote. Oh, and it is "Quote", not "Reply".

Obviously all the big sites which are almost without exception fixed width don't know what they're doing.

And newspaper columns aren't stretched across the whole page because the editors don't know how much better that would be.

Well naturally. They don't even know how to pull out of their mothers before they shoot.

Dark Underlord said:
And the fact we're still in third place for internets is abysmal. I should shut the whole place down until we win all the internets. There are 200 people online right now. What is this? We should easily have broken 10k internets in a day - clearly a lot of the guests are holding out.

ChristofferC

Magister
Just FYI - as long as the front page says we're not here, it means anything / everything else is still pretty much "under construction" and likely to change drastically at any time.

I removed that space wasting banner with yarip. :smug:

pipka

Savant
The message is not offensive enough. Something like "Have you given internets today "Enter your name here"? Why not? Are you gay? Bla bla bla" should work. And some really aggressive colour is mandatory (warm reddish/ acidic).

Blocked "internetometer.com" with RequestPolicy.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Actually, fuck it... pick Fluid from the style selection.
:thumbsup:
I have this:
1920x1200 24"...
But I rather read down than from the far left to the far right. The browser's always windowed anyway. Fixed width was just a little too wide to be comfortable. Fluid adapts to any width I like. I still don't see any disadvantages...

Antagonist

Liturgist
But I rather read down than from the far left to the far right.

What the... I know that whole sentence reading can be trained but either your field of vision is that of a chameleon or your browser window has already been shrank to a size where fixed width doesn't matter anyway (unless it doesn't scale to smaller sizes).

I still don't see any disadvantages...

Try maximizing your browser window on >= 24" widescreen monitors and find a topic post which contains several paragraphs worth of text (most of Black Cat's game discussions should be suitable). Suddenly you have single text lines which are longer than your forearm which is simply tedious to read as you have to move your head/eyes at an increased rate plus it becomes harder to find the next line of text if you lost sight of the beginning. Somehow I can't persuade my eyes to work like a type writer (first move one line down, then follow the text to the start of the line).

Since the forum software now caters to both preferences there's really little reason to bitch though.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Blade Runner quotes - in MY codex? :incline: That message is lying, btw. I already gave internets today.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I give internets whenever I can. I even reset my router to give internets again, i'm such a patriot. : x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom