Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ad Banners - About & Problem Reports

BirdsCanFly

Educated
I disabled the blocking for you and it almost locked up my computer, crashing my firefox and slowing everything down to a crawl. Hopefully this was a one time thing.

Kz3r0

Arcane
I don't have any problem with ads if they help to keep alive the site, stop complaining or donate.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Jarl, check the first post in this thread, it's got info on how to report bad ads. I can't do anything with some vague reference to an ad that is somehow problematic - there are hundreds in the system displaying to people differently depending on their GEO location. I need specifics.

SoupNazi

This is a weird one, and it slows down loading my message box anytime it pops up. It's the last object that loads before the quick reply box, and takes ages. I tried blocking all ads which should stop it from loading but it doesn't, so it means it's a somewhat hidden ad (?) - I can't actually take a screenshot of it. All I have for you is www.game-advertising-online.com, and this screenshot:

gao.jpg

It practically says "Requesting (URL)", and as you can see, it's processing that request at 3,2 kB/s. It takes roughly 30-40 seconds before it finishes, and only then the message box pops up. This is incredibly annoying.

Using Opera on Win7.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I've just looked at all the GAO ads and they load in about 2 seconds for me... we don't have any "hidden" ads. Can you check if you're seeing the same on another browser and possibly another computer?

SoupNazi

Hmm... it happens on other computers (happened at work), but only in Opera it seems. I just fired up Google Chrome and it works. I noticed someone else having the exact same problem in the "Forums are up..." thread though, so surely it can't be just my settings, right? More like sime kind of a coding thing incompatible with Opera or whatever... :/

Edit: in fact, Chrome seems to run the entire Codex about 60% faster than Opera. Which is hilarious, because everything else runs faster in Opera. :|

chzr

Scholar
is this considered as bad ad? because it's irritating as fuck
T8p7n.jpg

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Having ads in the OP of every LP in the Playground is kinda irritating. LP OPs are usually used for a general description of the game, some pics, stuff like that, and having an ad as a part of that can be a bit confusing and makes one want to just scroll past the OP. Personally I can donate and get rid of the ads, but for guests reading the Playground LPs shit definitely sucks. Would it be possible to remove them for the Playground only, or is it too much to ask?

Possible to make it so that the advert doesn't appear in the first post of the thread?

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
chzr, it's explained in the first post what constitutes a bad ad. I don't get that one so I can't say.

And it probably would be possible to make the ads appear differently just for one forum (after the first post I guess), but it'd require some scripting... would need to look into it.

yellowcake

Arcane
Question to admins: can you publish IP adresses of the ads services you use? I've been really pissed off by ads services slowing my browsing to a crawl recently and I decided to use custom "hosts" file to point them right up their asses. However it seem to affect the Codex as well and I would like to make an exception for it as this is the least I can do to support you. I can't donate ATM cause I got fired recently and have to count a penny. If you'd publish IP adresses I could remove them from my hosts file.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Can't do that unfortunately as we use a bunch of different ones and I've got no means of getting the IPs from them, especially not for all of their various ad servers (of which I'm sure there are plenty). Unless you're stuck on dial-up, it's highly unlikely that regular ad banners alone would be slowing down your browsing to a halt - must be something else as well. The easiest way to do what you want would be to scrap the hosts file and use a dedicated ad blocking program where you can exempt rpgcodex.net from ad blocking.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
api.viglink.com/api/click

What the fucking faggotry is this shit, huh?

Don't tell me that I have to copy-paste links from Codex now, to avoid being flagged.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Uh... VigLink's been affiliating Codex links for about a year now and you just noticed? I'm not sure what exactly's bothering you about it?

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
It doesn't track you or anything... all it does is process any unaffiliated links upon clicking them and credit 3/4 of them to Codex. Doesn't amount to much but it's essentially free money, so...

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I'm still missing #2 of 3.

2. See where the ad points to (target url), and copy the url.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
IE: Taluntain wants you to click on and follow the ad.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
At the risk of repeating myself for, oh, the 20th time in this thread...:deadhorse:

I need 3 (three) things to be able to do anything about any problematic ad. Not 1 (one), not 2 (two). Three. 3. III. 1 + 1 + 1. 4 - 1. 2 + 1.

Here's the holy trinity of valid reports about problematic ads:

1. Take a screenshot of it.

2. See where the ad points to (target url), and copy the url. If you can't get the target url by right-clicking on the ad and Copying Link Location, click on the ad and copy the url that you land on.

3. Describe what the ad is doing that is problematic.

This is all written in the first post of the thread. PLEASE READ THE FIRST POST OF THIS THREAD BEFORE POSTING HERE FFSKTHXBAI.

:hero:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom