Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looks like i will be replaying Doom this christmas.

mariog

Educated
Here it is, I've discovered this mod when the v11 came out and I've replayed the original Doom episodes for the nth time with it. I've had a blast.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
This mod is beyond AWESOME. They've managed to put so much detail in it that's almost unbelieveable. Lots of cool stuff, like imps FUCKING JUMPING on you and trying to tear you to pieces. Or using BERSERK to grab a LOST SOUL and throw it at other DEMONS. Or fucking GRUNTS trying to crawl away when you shoot their LEGS OFF. Or this meaty sound when you shoot a guy with a double barreled shotgun from up close.

Thank god that Columbine guys didn't have this mod.

BTW, anyone knows any good user-made campaigns for DOOM?

Phelot

Arcane
The take down "fatalities" are, of course, popamole and stupid, but the extra gore isn't. Definitely cool stuff. Wish they'd do one for Hexen.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
The take down "fatalities" are, of course, popamole and stupid, but the extra gore isn't. Definitely cool stuff. Wish they'd do one for Hexen.

...and Strife.

Blood and guts are serious incline, but most awesome features are weapons and tweaks they've made to the monsters. Imps are pretty brutal if you get too close and I like how cacodemons dodge away so that you can't always stun them with rapid fire. The only thing I don't like are Arch-viles which seem to be pussified by this mod. I love all the little details, like the ability to free other marines or the fact, that sergeants need to reload their shotguns.

Luzur

Good Sir
it is damn intense, thats for sure.

its like being in a meat grinder when clearing rooms with the BFG9000

Duckard

Augur
Oooo wow that is a lot of gore. I like how the blood drips off the ceiling, it's a nice touch.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Yeah. I've found recently that you can pick up mancubus' flamethrower if you gib him with a rocket launcher or similar weapon. Cool stuff. But still, this mod has the best minigun I have ever seen in a game.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Fuck why hasn't someone redone Doom's sprites at 4x? I hate this filtershit.

Are those sprites too old-school for your taste? You can turn off the filters and enjoy the sprites in all their pixelated glory.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
Are those sprites too old-school for your taste? You can turn off the filters and enjoy the sprites in all their pixelated glory.

If I wanted to play Doom like it's 1992 (and I have, and I do) then I have DOSBox and Chocolate Doom for that. I just find it irritating that there's thousands of bullshit texture mods and that godawful 3d model pack, but no HD sprites faithful to the original.

ElectricOtter

Popamole bullshit. Also can't stand those goddamn Doomsday smoothed sprites.

Chocodoom 320x200 superiority, bitches :rpgcodex:

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Derp it's a Skulltag/GZDoom mod, what did you expect?

Andrejgfdskjng, try Suspended in Dusk, UAC Ultra, and The Darkening 2. Also, anything that wins a Cacoward is usually p good value, although there is a slight bias towards very difficult mapsets (ie. billions of Revenants). If you like that, def. play Scythe 2. Actually play Scythe 2 even if you don't, the first 15 or so maps aren't really like that and they're about the pinnacle of Doom user maps.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Played this for a while. Well, I've played it everyday since I've read this topic. Man, this mod really deserves more attention and luvs.

Firstly, this is not just a BLOOD AND GORE mod. It does WAY more than that. Sure, the massive amount of gibbing and gore may give you the initiate "dis iz a lulz mod" impression, in reality the amount of gore is actually quite realistic, which means you will see stuff like individual body parts flying away, very good headshots, and just in general way realistic death compared to games even like Soldier of Fortune (games with good gibbing like SoF still suffer from the fact that there's so little blood even if you quartered someone). The fatality is also just a feature that you can use for fun, and in fact I find it not very practical because melee in Brutal Doom is almost suicide.

What really makes the mod shines is how BRUTAL its gameplay style is. All the weapons are very nicely balanced - rifle (the one which replaced the peashooter) is very, very powerful and fun to use (headshotting Hell Knights to death with iron sight is insanely fun!!), the original shotgun spread much less and become way more powerful at any range. Combined with spectacular headshots, just using these two alone will give you some very, very good..."shooty" feeling. I don't how to explain it, but shooting in Brutal Doom really gives me a "punch" feeling...anyway it is good!

On the other hand, difficulty got upped by almost 100% and will make even the most hardcore Ultra Violence Plutonia Experiment player a run for it (I've never had the guts to play Nightmare). Shotgun Seargents are LETHAL because shotguns hit harder and the AI of them are MUCH better at aiming, so in any room with these guys, you can no more leisure around picking stuff around a room and take pot shots at them. You MUST kill them fast (preferably with headshots) while carefully take covers. In fact, it IS a popamole gameplay style - but popamole done RIGHT. If you pop out of the cover, then kill stuff slower even for a split second, you'll be mercilessly splat in your face with massive damage.

All the hell monsters are fucking scary now. Imps are no more pushovers, their fireballs are FAST, and they can fucking jump on you. Specters are much harder to spot, Barons of Hell have a very cool acid spread attack, Spider Mastermind fires fucking exploding shells (imagine its chaingun shooting depleted uranium shells), and it and Cybie and Pain Elementals all will gloriously explode when they die. I find the game fucking hard to play even on Hurt Me Plenty, and every encounter feels very lethal and challenging.

Last but not the least, the new animation and sprites of the game look very, very well done. One main thing that makes me don't like playing mods that introduce new graphics is due to the fact most of the new graphics look way out of place compared to the vanilla stuff. It's even worse for most Doom mods because I find sprites to be even harder to make it feel "right" than 3d models. But Brutal Doom really blew me away in this part. Most of the new sprites look very nicely drawn and definetly in the same spirit like original doom. In fact, I think if someone has never played the original doom, he won't differ what sprites are new and which aren't. The majority of the monsters have at least three different kind of death animation, that's not even including the fatalities. Zombies for example, have at least normal death, normal gibbing, headshot death, leg-blew-away-then-crawling death, arm-blew-away-then-bleeding death, Fallout style chaingun dismemberment death (in itself you'll have blow arm away, blow head away, and blow body away animation), plasma gibbing, rocket gibbing, and maybe a couple more. And all the new weapon sprites are very well done too (I especially like the details, like you'll leave an empty clip after reloading your rifle, and your chaingun will spit out empty cases all over the place).

Really, this mod is good. Very good. There are a few bugs here and there, but the author is actively fixing it (the last update fixed the Archviles so they won't do only 20 damage now). He's even willing to change whole animation that feels weird or wrong (the last Mancubus fatality is very badly drawn so he scrapped it and replaced with a new one). The game is fucking hardcore though, it's hard to survive even for the first 5 levels. If you have been popamoled in this few years of gaming, you'd better not try this.

JrK

Prophet
What Heresiarch said + the fucking chaingun. Play this mod just for that gun alone. Mowing down hordes with the new chaingun.... it's glorious.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Fuck you all, I'm now playing brutal doom and I have to wake up early tomorrow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom