Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Some DXHR impressions

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Sup faggots!

My impressions about this game. I know I'm late and that everything that could be said about this has already been said, but I haven't read a single word of it. I was holding on until I had a pc capable of handling this bitch, so I came in more or less blind. I'm just going to toss my thoughts on paper as I play ; I'll keep on the hypercritical asshole mask because I know that this is what you gents find acceptable

Alright, so I am of course a huge DX fan, my love for this game is just that, love, it's entirely irrational. I know the game has many flaws, but I don't give a shit. But since Invisible War was probably the biggest gaming disappointment I've ever had, I didn't feel so protective of the name anymore. I'm going to eat not caring what the brand is, I'm not even going to care if it's a wheat-based product, I'm just nonchalant that way. I know, dangerous living man.

So start the game right? Music sucks. I'm going to start about the music, no one does that. I've probably said this somewhere else, but I find the experience of music in a game to be quite important. But you don't really judge video game audio on its own merits, you judge it if it adds something to the experience. Anyway enough of this meta shit. The music in this is way too gloomy and forgettable. In DX you'll notice how upbeat and electro the music was ; now what have we got? Goddamn wailing arabian women. Fuck I'm tired of this shit. It's everywhere, I'm not sure where that trend started, but it's bad.

The bad gloomy music fits with the tone of the game. In DX the world was going to shit, but hey... you were augmented. Shit was cool. In HR - "I never asked for this". This pretty much resumes the tone of the entire game. Adam doesn't want to be here. Being augmented feels awkward at best, at worst it feels like being invalid and handicapped. Did you notice that in every shitty cinematic Adam is getting smacked around? Every of them, it’s hilarious. Well this is exactly how the plot felt too.

First the technobabble – oh the technobabble. I want to get behind the transhumanism theme, I really do, but jesus christ. All the text I read in this game was shit. Utter lifeless nonsense. And then – I'm going to nerd rage a bit (a lot) here – the setting was totally botched. First how science fiction the game was even if it was a prequel – ridiculous. They took the IW path on this one : at this point, it’s an alternate universe, it doesn't feel like it's our world anymore. Total rubbish : space choppers, metal cities, super Ais, what the hell is going on? The way the world is presented is just… it feels like everything's made out of plastic. With a piss yellow filter.

The plot was really awful. DX’s plot is very simple, very effective. I'm not sure if I could pin point what they did right with it, I'm not going to try because my nostalgia resists attempts at deconstruction, but I always cared about everything that was going on in this game. I'd read every single line of text voraciously, wave my fist in front of my screen yelling at Bob Page, shedding man tears when Paul died and being ecstatic when I found out I could save him. Of course, a lot of gimmicks DX did were fresh at the time – the way the game reacted not only to the choices you make, but also how you play, was pretty innovative. But these gimmicks don't work so much anymore. 12 years ago, okay, but you don’t get a free pass for this shit, it's not the same thing.

I enjoyed the gameplay of HR well enough. I think there's no reason why classic DX gameplay can't be transposed to the mainstream, there's nothing inaccessible about it. They did okay with this. But that’s the problem – it’s "okay", nothing new, and worst, it does some things wrong. The cinematics in middle of combat, things like takedown – what is this shit, final fantasy dragon summoning? Cover based gameplay : arrrgggh. Hacking minigame : :rage:. BOSS BATTLES (shave your balls) : :lol:. The level design is "okay" too, but it's cell-based so this ruins things a lot. Also : running around in hubs. Too much goddamn running around, and they even recycle the 2 hubs they made, it's pretty bad. The thing is, DX was working off the foundation of classic fps, and improved it - there lies its inspirational élan and its originality. HR just tries to copy what was already done. Anything new that it does isn't really noteworthy or is just plain bad.

I don’t know man. I’m a storyfag so let me speak about the plot again. There was something so off and clumsy about this storytelling. I didn't care about fuck-all. I guess Pritchard was a p. cool guy and Adam wasn't a bad protagonist, but that’s about it. Oh alright, I did think the theme that they hammered on all game long was fairly stimulating – you do get to be the moral agent at the end of the game and make a choice (pressing a button, because we all know the fate of the world is decided by pressing a button) – but it's not enough. I mean, fuck… Barrett? With a gunarm? Like in final fantasy right? And a romance story in my DX game? What the christ? Get the fuck out of here, women. Speaking of woman - that fucking last boss? Who was this asian chick? I don't even remember who she was. How the fuck could they mess it up that much? It's not that goddamn hard, you make a conspiracy theory about a shadow organization wanting to control people through technology. What the fuck happened here?

From the beginning the plot feels off. Start the game - it's Mass Effect 2 all over again :lol:. Except that ME2 actually had a better plot than this. Who the hell are these plastic people and why should I give a shit? The side stories weren't even good. All the areas felt fucking bland. At first I marveled on how good the graphics looked – I suppose they do, really – but I don't remember a single area after playing the game. Maybe I’m just a jaded little fuck, but it pisses me off how bad this was.

Although to be fair, the gameplay was solid enough to carry me to the endgame. I suppose that's a good thing – that a game has good gameplay and all that – although I would hesitate to call it good. I'm just really a sucker for these kind of "smart fps" games.

That's about it really. Been 8 years I’ve played IW, couldn’t say if this is any better than that game, I guess it is, if only because you don't play as a brain-dead punk with a shitty trendy haircut that gets the opportunity to kill goddamn JC Denton. But let's not get there, the past is the past, just like all those horrible characters, the guy with the gunarm and so on, they're all dead and buried and i dont want to hear about it anymore

Captain Shrek

All wrong. Well, except the music part and that the game was shit and the non-scientific text being lifeless (addition) thingy.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I tried playing DX:HR, and couldn't get past my guy's voice (absolutely crucial thing done horribly wrong), dialogue even blander than typical low-functioning autistic NPCs from Bioware games, piss filter, signs that the plot was written by some codemonkey again...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Only the Hugh Darrow articles are technobabble, you ADHD-having person.
You get an achievement for finding and reading them all.

Johnny the Mule

Educated
dumbass must have been 12 when desu ex came out

storyfags are prolly the most despicable people of all gamers
worse than larpers and casuals !
if a larper is installing horse fuck mod in oblivion
it serves a purpose creating something that fundamentally unavailable to him
if a casual is mashing buttons for awesome in guilty gear (he is animu scum) he is just fulfills his childish needs

storyfags on the other hand look for plot, character and writing in vidya games............................
let that sink in
idiotic storyfags look for plot, character and writing in vidya games............................

case in point the imbecile op whose posting usually stays in the realm of pointless meta commentary
a tldr kc

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
And no one give me that "you don't have to use cover" nonsense. You do. Playing on the Give Me Deus Ex difficulty you do. For both gameplay styles you have to use cover. On the stealth side, the AI is only able to detect you while right on top of you, looking down on you, or while you are outside of cover. If you are sitting next to a wall, that won't work. You need to be locked to the cover to avoid detection. On the combat side, if you try running around blazing up enemies UT style, ala the original Deus Ex, that won't work. The game is built around regenerating health, and you can't regenerate health while being shot. You need to lock yourself to cover. Apparently, the enemy can shoot over cover if you are not locked to it.
This just isn't true. I didn't care enough about the game to defend the rest of it - it was decent, nothing more - but I unbound the cover key as soon as I finished the tutorial and never used it again, on Give Me Deus Ex.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I watched its endings in youtube. That is as far as I'm going to bother with it.
I am the exact opposite.

I played the game, but I did not bother pressing a button for seeing the ending. I just stopped playing before the endings right at the boss fight. I still haven't done it.

I. Just. Stopped. Caring.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
i brofisted your post so hard the resulting ruptures could be felt in eidos montreal sb

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I got HR from the steam sales. So far I like everything about it except for the stupid fucking boss fights, I'm stuck on the first one and have no desire to try and beat him. What's that? You played a stealthy character who tried to avoid people first and then do a non-lethal takedown if he absolutely must? Too bad, here, take this shotgun and shoot this faggy fag in the face a few times like Rambo would. :rage:
But other than that, I enjoy the music, the hacking minigame, the combat gameplay is popamole but still leagues ahead of what DX had to offer since the combat mechanics were pure shit in the original one.
So far I think it's on par with the original DE. Both have flaws and strengths, but in different areas. I guess it depends on what areas you find more important that makes you choose which game is better.
And lastly, I think the devs were playing a lot more Metal Gear Solid when developing HR rather than DE.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This just isn't true. I didn't care enough about the game to defend the rest of it - it was decent, nothing more - but I unbound the cover key as soon as I finished the tutorial and never used it again, on Give Me Deus Ex.
But it plays like shit that way. Even Josh Sawyer says so (appeal to authority, yeah that's what I'm doing :smug:)

Wyrmlord

Arcane
No way is that appeal to authority.

You said, EVEN Josh Sawyer. By which you imply that Sawyer has extremely low standards, and if he doesn't like something, it means that even those most please-able person was not pleased.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
I phrased that poorly. You do not HAVE to use cover. The game mechanics are, however, heavily tilted in its favor. I tried sneaking and gunning outside of cover and found it to be a lot more trouble than it was worth. It was much faster to go through the game using cover not having to worry about dying more frequently simply because I wanted to play the game in a sub-optimal fashion.
Since this IS a Serious_Business thread, some meta-commentary is in order: you're basically saying "I want to play the game on the hardest difficulty available, but when I take off the training wheels, it's not as easy as with them". Uhm, fascinating, really? ;)

Because cover, cinematic takedowns, item highlighting, quest compass etc. are just that - training wheels compensating for the inherent shittiness of console controls <insert "PC superiority foreva" slogans here> and the playing disabilities of modern gamers <insert "pc gamers were the intellectual elite of my days, and played shooters while simultaneously writing their Phd thesis" rant here> etc.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I never used cover either. I just didn't think of it. Maybe used it once or twice, but usually I sneaked around without using cover, hiding behind cover (hurr), walls, or inside vents instead while crouched.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
The game was decent enough up until you pulled the curtain away at the Emerald City to reveal the wizard.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
The hero's girlfriend, you mean, the stringpuller behind it all!

SoupNazi

soupnazi rant inc

The people complaining about cover and shit are nothing but consolefags used to their popamole shit. The game is perfectly playable without it, hell in some cases it's easier because lining up headshots one after another is so fucking easy in this game. If you find it hard to play on Give me Deus Ex without resorting to use the cover mechanic: newsflash, you need to go back to your Gears of War and Call of Duty: Again. You probably never played the original game on the Realistic difficulty, where a headshot could kill you instantly and two bodyshots would often finish you as well. The only difference here is that the enemies are a bit smarter so "wait crouched outside of a door with crosshair on where heads will be" "tactic" doesn't work anymore for killing 100s of enemies like cattle. "Lot more trouble than it's worth"? What the fuck, did you get here from the Mass Effect 2 fan forum? If you hate popamole fighting than anything is better than doing it. The game is nowhere near built upon it; in fact you have the radar so even without leaning, stealth is EASIER than in the original game where you at least had to lean out now and then.

I'm repeating myself and I've shown before even with screenshots as proof that the game is pretty fucking easy if you use crouch-cover and your brain instead of throwing yourself at an enemy garrison like you would do in Call of Duty, but apparently you people never played the original game where even if you had combat augs you had to THINK before engaging superior numbers and plan ahead. That's all HR is about: observe the area, think about the guard patrols, count the enemies, think of alternative routes. And only once you've considered everything, move in. This isn't fucking Splinter Cell: Conviction where you could just try to stealth through it blindly because there was just 1 working route and even if you fucked up you could just shoot everybody.

Most of the other complaints Serious_Business had are more or less valid, I'd just disagree on the plot being entirely bad (it was fine up until like 3/4 through the game) - the only problem with it until you uncover the whole conspiracy is the fact that the characters who could be very interesting (the bosses) have no life at all. This is a symptom of a rushed release as in the book etc. they're all p. fleshed out. But oh well. The side stories, the detective jobs Adam does, I found it all very interesting and much more telling about the state of the world than the main story. Especially the ones in the city hub. You could tell that they were going for a less black & white definition of the world - in Deus Ex everyone was either in one of the organizations, or they were ruined already. In HR you see cops and people who are still good and try to do their jobs and help others even though they don't belong to any of the puppeteers and don't know about the conspiracies. The sidequests are also very open-ended. Saying that the plot was worse in ME2, I'll just write off as you being a jaded little fuck, SB.

And as for the last mission of the game: anyone remember Area 51? It was fucking linear and retarded.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Maaaaaaaaaan. For real, SoupNazi?

Did you and I play the same Deus Ex?

I just replayed Deus Ex in 2011, and I did run-and-gun-in-the-open playthrough on Realistic difficulty. Deus Ex was a total run and gun game.

I took a Plasma Gun. I maxed out my Rifle skill. I turned on the Speed Running augmentation. And during the invasion of riot squads in Downtown New York after meeting Stanton Dowd, I killed dozens upon dozens upon dozens of them. Yes, I stood the risk of getting killed, but only if I did not strafe faster than all the hordes of UNATCO troops. I killed all those hordes as they respawned on spot. Deus Ex was NOTHING LIKE YOU DESCRIBE.

First person shooters aren't about cowering or "planning" as you call it. First person shooters are about strafing faster than your enemies, and shooting your enemies sooner than they notice or shoot you. As an easily frightened 10-year-old, I used to play Doom in a "careful" or a "planned" manner. Except there is nothing intelligent about playing a game like this. It's just the nerves of a player who is too afraid to engage all enemies. FPSes aren't turn-based strategy games, they are about keeping your nerves and keeping your eye on the target. If you have to be all slow, careful, kill-them-one-by-one about it, it means you lost your nerves fighting virtual enemies in a videogame. Deus Ex was no different.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
That was just a general statement on players with nerves always "planning" in FPSes.

Like I said, I am calling you out on your fake claim of Deus Ex not having run and gun as an option. It's BS. Anyone can fire up Deus Ex on Realistic right now and see that your claim is bogus. It did not require "tactics" or "being careful".

SoupNazi

Tell me all about calling me out on something I never claimed, Wyrmie. Tell me aaaaall about it.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
but apparently you people never played the original game where even if you had combat augs you had to THINK before engaging superior numbers and plan ahead.
I was responding to this part. I disagreed.

SoupNazi

So how exactly did you go about running and gunning through people before you had the speed aug and plasma rifle, Wyrmie? And how does activating augs (making sure you have bioenergy) and getting your plasma rifle out not count as preparation?

FACT: Deus Ex can't be played by just running through each area shooting everything that moves. It's not Doom, and you HAVE to think. You can employ whichever tactic you want, and even in HR, you can go in gun blazing provided you have the right weapons (i.e. the plasma rifle). But it's not Doom.

Stop being a dumbfuck, Wyrmlord.

DraQ

Arcane
Wyrmlord is being retarded again.

In DX1 on realistic not being careful equalled getting one-shotted by an enemy you didn't even see. Sure the enemies were dumb and not very perceptive, so stealthing was easy, but you had to pay attention.
DX:HR is similar in this regard except you can get killed even more easily. The only thing annoying is that the AI is still dumb, and cover system is basically a stealth cheat, because of TPP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom