Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DoomRL .9.9.5 released. Now pandering to GFX Whores!

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Video of graphical version beta here: But it's currently only available to supporters. They'll be releasing it to everyone else in the next version. Graphics are being done by Derek Yu, who did work in Spelunky, Aquaria, and some other very awesome stuff.

The new version itself makes some major changes, the game is now split into 3 areas instead of two, and the AI has been revamped.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
They also got rid of the simplicity of the game in a previous update and thus from what made it worthwhile. Doom had simple mechanics that made for great gameplay and what made this roguelike stand out was that they imo perfectly copied that concept. Decline and all that.

Damned Registrations

Well there are other coffee break roguelikes around if you just want to lean on arrow keys for a while.

As far as I'm concerned what makes DoomRL stand out is the emphasis on ranged combat and LoS, so I'm glad for all the extra complexities.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
It was simplicity of design combined with a furious pace and the ranged combat that made it stand out. Gameplay was excellent and it somehow fitted perfectly with Doom. Now not so much anymore.

Johnny the Mule

Educated
What did they change from previous versions?

Loved the black/white/red ascii in DoomRL and the way blood was portrayed. I created a nice vivid mental image of EVERYTHING SPLATTERED CRIMSON RED!
Now blood looks like shit.
Berseker overlay is almost gayish pink.
Tiles look cartoonish.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
It's still fun, they didn't change it that much, I don't see any real complexity with it.

Damned Registrations

Anyways, now that there's a graphical version maybe I can do a LP of it. Couldn't get screenshots of it before for the life of me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom