Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why are most indie games so dumb-looking/sounding?

convivialist

Educated
So wait, this all boils down to the fact that some people's fragile masculinity is threatened by anything that could be remotely considered "cute"? Games need to be "gothic" or "classical" to not be hipster bullshit? What exactly are "gothic" and "classical" in terms of gaming anyway? I thought they didn't have video games in those periods.

Wunderpurps

Educated
convivialist said:
So wait, this all boils down to the fact that some people's fragile masculinity is threatened by anything that could be remotely considered "cute"? Games need to be "gothic" or "classical" to not be hipster bullshit? What exactly are "gothic" and "classical" in terms of gaming anyway? I thought they didn't have video games in those periods.

What all boils down to what?

You are all implying there's some agenda here which ends in, and therefore all indie games are shit, but there isn't. Even the guy saying ALL INDIE GAMES SUCK had a footnote which basically says he completely defined the meaning of indie.

If you look at games like pokemon or frayed knights and think OMG so cute, that is fine for you, but not everyone likes that shit. It can have some place in casual games but if the oh so holy fallout was done with web comic toon style and constantly broke the fourth wall then it would completely destroy the game. I can't imagine playing an RPG that had that shit at all to be honest, and I don't think I'm in the minority.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
So what... pokemon is an indie game to you? Because you've just pointed out that simplistic cartoony style is by no means limited to low budget indie titles.

Of course indies are going to look like crap if all you're doing is sifting through a fucking garbage heap. RPGs look pretty shitty too if I browse through flash games for a few hours, should we stop using that word too? RPG is just a buzzword used by hipster fags with their shitty turn based jrpg flash games oh noes!

Nobody is buying Angry Birds and Bejeweled because they're so 'indie'. They play that shit because they like it. They weren't expecting Dwarf Fortress and found themselves duped by word trickery.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO I THINK THIS DISCUSIION HAS FAILED BECAUSE OF A LACK OF COMMON TERMINOLOGY

FOR EXAMPLE I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT FREEWARE OR SHAREWARE WERE FREE GAMES I DID NOT KNOW THAT IS WHAT THE GOOD INDEPENDENT GAMES ARE SO ACTUALLY KOTC WOULD BE CONSIDERED FREEWARE

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS NOBODY APPRECIATED MY COLLECTION OF AFRICAN AMERICAN MEDIA SITES

I HIT MUSIC AND BOOKS AND MOVIES AND MAGAZINES

I SHOUDL SPONSOR A CODEX CONTEST TO WIN A FREE SUBSCRIPTION TO JET MAGAZINE

mondblut

Arcane
DamnedRegistrations said:
Of course indies are going to look like crap if all you're doing is sifting through a fucking garbage heap.

A game can be very simplistic-looking and low-budget without pretending to be Elton John sucking off a schimpanzee dressed in peacock feathers.

nahlakh_battle.jpg

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO WHAT HAS WORKED FOR ME IS AVOIDING THINGS THAT LOOK LIKE ELTON JOHN SUCKING SOMETHING OFF

IS THERE AN AMERICAN BEUATY TYPE PROBLEM WITH INDIE GAMES LIKE OH MY GOD I HATE YOU INDIE GAMES AND ALL YOU STAND FOR BUT OH MY GOD I NEED YOU SO BAD BUT I AM SO ASHAMED IF I CANT HAVE YOU NO ONE WILL

Wunderpurps

Educated
mondblut said:
A game can be very simplistic-looking and low-budget without pretending to be Elton John sucking off a schimpanzee dressed in peacock feathers.

:lol:

This should have been the second or third post, followed by locking the thread.

Instead we have 200 posts of guys who rage about fallout 2 movie references defending indie games that break the 4th wall to pieces :lol:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
mondblut said:
DamnedRegistrations said:
Of course indies are going to look like crap if all you're doing is sifting through a fucking garbage heap.

nahlakh_battle.jpg
Aww :love:

I'll have to checkout that Nahlakh. I like how the guy is using a consistent dark muted palette.

mondblut

Arcane
BLOBERT said:
BRO WHAT HAS WORKED FOR ME IS AVOIDING THINGS THAT LOOK LIKE ELTON JOHN SUCKING SOMETHING OFF

This is RPGCodex. We don't ignore the things we hate.

And we hate "indie" crap for the same reason we used to hate jrpgs. We didn't want our favorite hobby to be associated with filthy shit like final fantasy by outsiders, and we wanted to make it perfectly clear for the rest of the world. It took 15 years and the likes of bethsoft and bioware going full retard to make the peasants realize the difference, even if that difference nowadays particularly implies that "WRPGs" are realtime and single-character.

Now, thanks to the term "indie game" being (often reversely) applied to everything having less than 10k budget/having less than 5 men in credits/not being produced by EA or Activision/not being physically present in shop inventories/whatever your definition is, a subsection of our favorite hobby is being increasingly associated with all kinds of filthy shit that made said term big in the media. I can only hope it's not too late to maintain our distance from this filth without going all ASCII and distributing niche games via physical copies exclusively.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Sheeple said:

I absolutely fucking loathe that whole childish clique thinking. There is no we, there is no us, there is no hivemind and there sure as hell is nothing that makes you part of a special elitist consensus just because you post on a nerdy game forum where noone ever agrees about anything. Seriously, fuck off with that delusional shit.

Wunderpurps

Educated
fizzelopeguss said:
mondblut said:
Bend over, commie. I've been elitist since I was 13, and will ever remain so.

hence the whole "we" tirade above looking for others to validify your ranting.

Yes, very master race.

Tell me, yes or no, if you like fallout 1 better than fallout 2.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
They're both as good as each other. Fallout 2 has the better gameplay, more of it and fixed some interface issues. Fallout has the better story and more memorable ending.

I don't play one or the other, when i have a fallout itch i play both of them back to back. One is heavily story driven, the other is more open ended. Characters and locales you see in fallout 1 have a satisfactory conclusion in fallout 2.

tiagocc0

Arcane
"Sidebar" is a stupid default. It messes up the videos trying to fit them in. Plz fix this.
I will leave it at Classic then as the default.
I have to change the site layout, when I did the template I didn't had in mind I would post videos inside a blog inside the site.

funkadelik

Arcane
I will leave it at Classic then as the default.
I have to change the site layout, when I did the template I didn't had in mind I would post videos inside a blog inside the site.
This kind of lack of foresight doesn't bode well for your game.

tiagocc0

Arcane
This kind of lack of foresight doesn't bode well for your game.
I'm still haven't defined most of the game, I have divided it in three modules, Spacefaring, Evolution and Tactical Combat.
I'm developing just the latter because it's easier and I'm planning the Evolution module right now, the last module will be mostly like MoO2.
I will have to get everything together later and build a more concise site. The original idea of this site was to launch a kickstarter project. :smug:

Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated!

funkadelik

Arcane
I'm still haven't defined most of the game, I have divided it in three modules, Spacefaring, Evolution and Tactical Combat.
I'm developing just the latter because it's easier and I'm planning the Evolution module right now, the last module will be mostly like MoO2.
I will have to get everything together later and build a more concise site. The original idea of this site was to launch a kickstarter project. :smug:

I was just flipping you shit. It looks pretty cool, it's just that half of the video was covered up.

Flatlander

Liturgist

Hey, that looks great! I'm not much into 4X games though, I'd prefer something closer to Roadwar 2000/Europa In Space so get working on it!

Edit: Fuck that, I'll make one myself. Starting tomorrow.

tiagocc0

Arcane
I was just flipping you shit. It looks pretty cool, it's just that half of the video was covered up.
Thanks.

Hey, that looks great! I'm not much into 4X games though, I'd prefer something closer to Roadwar 2000/Europa In Space so get working on it!
Thanks, I never played those, I found some screenshots of roadwar 2000 but none of Europa In Space.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom