Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Achtung Panzer: Operation Star just got inclined

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
It's awesome to see that some developers still refine their games after release.

Latest patches for Achtung Panzer: Operation Star bring awesome new feature. Old way of moving troops around strategic map is gone. Instead of old "one platoon per one square" we get a number of waypoints on the map which troops may occupy. So, the patch pretty much removes the problem both AP games had, i.e. not that many troops present in most tactical battles. New system isn't perfect, but it's certainly more flexible than the old one. Another reason to grab the game.

AP devs have also released a DLC containing new map and a single campaign. It's worth getting, if it means greater chance of seeing another AP game in the future.

Just letting you know folks.

overtenemy

Augur
Think this is going to be the first DLC I've ever bought. I'm on it like a fly on shit. Is there a decent Kraut campaign in the DLC? With TIGERS?

Johnny the Mule

Educated
They keep pumping out those 2 gb expansions, sequels, whatever that all look the same on screens and I keep downloading them without playing...

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
There is only one, Czechoslovakian campaign in the DLC. Still, it costs only 5Ł on Gamersgate.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Seems that Graviteam is making some kind of moneygrab. Just found that there's another DLC available for AP, Volokonovka 1942. New map and two new campaigns set during Operation Blue.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, if the quality is there and they're not too expensive then I'm game. This game is tied with Combat Mission: Normandy for being the best tactical wargame I've seen in ages.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
bros got links for latest patch for operation star?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
What's amazing that a google search only shows torrents of this one. Even the official website doesn't show this one or the other expansion on the torrent sites. Seriously, what the hell?

EDIT: Ah, it is on the official site. Both DLC's are there hidden behind the acronym APOS on the bottom of the list. Seriously, do they let their intern handle the website or something? Trailer looks very low budget but if it's more of the same then it is bound to be good. Bit steep at a tenner though.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
I'm on the fence with this one. Previous one was for 5 euro and this new addon is for 10 euro, which is kinda steep for new map and 2 campaigns.

It's really good, I'm only struggling with the camera and the bad visibility.

You'll get used to it. At least I did. Also, it's worth to control tactical battles from the map (F9 or F10) and zoom to 3d mode only if some serious stuff happens.

bros got links for latest patch for operation star?

Don't know, I've downloaded mine through Gamersgate.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Well it shouldn't be hard to upload it to smth like rapidshare.com ;)

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
I did buy it, good stuff deserves that.
But i hate the german voices for the soldiers, it does sound...terrible.
But after reading "Vergiss die Zeit der Dornen nicht" ...this game gives me a bad feeling.

Banned Alt

Novice
So, I tried Operation Star. Its shit so far. Opponent retarded, design broken.

The very first operation with the breakthrough to the own lines is already a farce.

First 2-3 turns you might as well be invisible since its night. Optimal behavior for me now is to just run away or around on the tactical map till the time runs out. And I was playing Chess on my second screen in that time. Dumb design, boring as hell.

Now you get 9 tiles in tactical mode so you have to arrange your forces in such a way that you have enough to fight, that means you cant be breaking out through a choke point since you wont have enough firepower.

Movement in tactical mode doesn't get reflected on the strategic map. So no matter how many units or how far you smuggle them, after the battle only your strategic moves will be done. So breaking through (avoiding) superior forces makes no sense cause the enemy will get an opportunity to attack you with each unit they have on every turn and you have to play Chess for 10 minutes again, again, again and again.

So a better option is to concentrate forces and exterminate. Considering the retarded AI which is on the attacking side, you fall back till you get some AT equip, place it on a hill and wait till the enemy dies.

Mortar teams sometimes just refuse to move.

RTS mechanics with actual meaningful micro for infantry (range is a bitch, as is rotation) but horrible camera and loltastic unit behavior. Shit.

Tried a quick battle, got the enemy some KV1 and got myself the same amount of Marder AT's. Funny thing is, I was supposed to be attacking. Put my boys on a hill in defensive position and played Chess. AI was attacking and getting massacred while a single Marder was taking the objectives...

If it had a x10 speedup, I might have even played it.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
- You can disable night battles.
- You can change the size of tactical battles.
- After the patch there are more units per square, so it's harder to evade the enemy.
- Marders have hard time with T-34's even, so you must have played some other game.

:troll:

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Goddamn who is responsible in their dev team for the shitty view :rage:

You cannot see units AT ALL from top camera, only icons.

Why they couldn't make something like close combat.

s335_CC3ScreenShots001.jpg

The game is good but the shitty view makes me want not to play it.

also, how you order units to attack specific enemy units ? Because i can only move attack.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I absolutely share Syrils sentiment. I prefer the top down 2D view in CC to the tedious, laborious 3D in Achtung Panzer, and ALL fucking new games.
Achtung Panzer, Silent Storm, Combat Mission ..
I want to play and not think about the camera. But since all tactical games went 3D half of the time must be spent turning the camera again and again and again .. and often you still get no satfisying view believe me. Why will they never get it?

That's my biggest gripe with this (otherwise great) game so far. And as if the problems with the camera were not enough, AP adds bad visibility (most of the missions take place during night or dawn, and in snowstorms) on top of them.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I love the shit visibility due to weather and time and the AI's ability to actually use it. Drove an entire halftrack platoon straight into the middle of a Russian infantry ambush in the midst of night. Fuckers actually held their fire untill my unit was into the middle. Lost about 3/4 due to grenades, at rifles and sustained close range phsp fire and most of the panzer grenadiers I unloaded in a panic perished as well. Awesome.

Fucked up my campaign good and proper as well. Fuck yeah.

And honestly, why I get how the camera here takes quite some getting used to the one in Combat Mission Normandy works perfectly fine.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Bros, as I've said, AP has pretty decent 2D mode. You can control all tactical action from the map. You can even toggle to display individual soldiers or the whole units... It's as good as you can get in 2012.

also, how you order units to attack specific enemy units ? Because i can only move attack.

You can't. Soldiers will generally open fire if they see any enemies. You can set priorities so that they will be more eager to attack certain enemy unit or vehicle.

The only way of designating a target is in case of platoon commanders who have machine guns, artillery pieces or mortars under their command. You can set a target area in a similar way you set up an artillery barrage. All support units under their command will try to fire on the specified area.

Quilty

Magister
Andrzej, Trash, overtenemy, bros I'd be really eager to read more of your impressions on the game. Would you mind writing a mini-review or just a list of pros and cons from the top of your head? I can't find good reviews of the game, apart from that piece over on RPS, but since I don't really trust those guys...

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, I'm currently writing one for Tcancer for when the content goes back up again. In short, RPS is partly right though being a bit too enthousiastic. Negatives? UI for instance is far from perfect. AI is generally good but can take a turn into lala-land. Campaigns are sometimes so skewed against you that you either love the challenge or grow frustrated. Especially when you basically need to resort to gamey methods to scrape through. The one thing really dragging it down for me is the UI however. Some would call it complete. I call it an unintuitive bloated mess.

When the game works it's splendid however. Tanks blasting it out, stukas diving, infantry storming enemy positions and artillery pounding away on battlegrounds that span miles. It's ambitious and caters towards the grognard crowd without forgetting that seeing burning crewmen jumping from destroyed tanks is fun. Flaws? Plenty. Fun? Oh yes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01gj87QJwBM&feature=related
And it actually looks great as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom