Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Namco-Bandai forum admin says petition could influence Dark Souls port to PC

canakin

Cipher
They better keep their shitty console games on where they belong.

Peter

Arcane
Dark Souls has great combat but -- at least from just watching videos -- I find the rest of the game a bit lacking.

Isn't combat pretty much all that Demon's/Dark Souls are about? Or do you mean the RPG aspects and stuff?

Isn't combat pretty much all that Demon's/Dark Souls are about? Or do you mean the RPG aspects and stuff?

Combat isn't really so good unless you're playing online. The AI is stupid as hell, so most of the time it's just block then attack, block then attack, block then attack. The best part of Dark Souls is just exploring. The levels are all big, typically with lots of paths to take, and well designed so they all feel different to each other. Lots of hidden items and abilities around, too, so it's worth checking everywhere you can find. You look about, and you might find a secret level with a dragon at the end who'll teach you how to breathe fire, or something. It's a nice change from the usual linear player must experience all content the first time they play quest compass bullshit so many games have these days.

Grimlorn

Arcane
I'll just say this. Witcher 2's combat is shit compared to Dark Souls/Demon's Souls. Anyone trying to argue otherwise is an idiot or hasn't played them.

Dark Souls would be more difficult to play with a keyboard and mouse because you rely a lot on movement and positioning in combat and an analog stick allows you to cut different angles and move in any direction on the fly if you need to. If any of you still have Witcher 2 and a controller you can plug into your PC try moving around with a keyboard and then a controller with an analog stick. It's much smoother and better with an analog stick. That's how it'd likely be if Dark Souls was on PC.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
I don't disagree with porting the Souls games to the PC, but as the guy in that YouTube video earlier in the thread states, (paraphrasing) "There are PC gamers willing to spend $4K or more on a gaming PC." I'm not much into video games as of earlier in 2011, but I still see the merrit of having a cheap specs-set-in-stone piece of hardware to develop games for. If things do start to shift to PC-centric gaming, I hope the industry will continue to support low-spec AAA games, portable devices, and continue to look into new ways to play like touch screens and motion-sensing tech.

So, yeah, I say give the Souls games a top-knotch port to PC.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I came here to see what the Codex thinks about this.

TotalBiscuit posted a vidya on the Tube, so here's hoping for 100.000 votes.
I'm not sure if Namco cares, but hope dies last or so they say. I am interested in Dark Souls, but I am not getting a PS3 just for that.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
It's not just the combat, it's the whole way how the game was designed: Dark Souls was designed to make you feel desperate, to make you feel lost, to make you feel you're gonna die very sec now.

This is why DS is, and probably will remain, the best friggin' Action RPG ever.

Kz3r0

Arcane
It's not just the combat, it's the whole way how the game was designed: Dark Souls was designed to make you feel desperate, to make you feel lost, to make you feel you're gonna die very sec now.

This is why DS is, and probably will remain, the best friggin' Action RPG ever.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
I haven't seen shit 'bout Dark Souls, but I damn have seen Ninja Gaiden.
If Dark Souls, apparently the best thing since ironshod horses, is even remotely like it, Codex must've sniffed serious industrial glue.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
I came here to see what the Codex thinks about this.

Same way it's always felt about it. Most people that have actually played the game love it. A disturbing amount of Codexers without a 360/PS3 fabricate ridiculous assumptions based on youtube videos to make themselves feel better about missing out. If this thread isn't enough, just search for Dark Souls on the Codex and scratch your head at the mind bottling comments that sound like "game seems like Tomb Raider/All you do is button mash/SOOOO BSB/ lol console shit/ from the videos I can reliably say that the only thing this game has going for it is _______/I'd never play this console shit! Now SKYRIM, that is a real game worthy of 50 page threads".

The rational few that haven't played the game and made the trailblazer decision to hold off on judging it aren't audible over the desperate masses' furor to construct a reason why they wouldn't like Dark Souls.

tl;dr:

I have any number of video walkthroughs on Youtube. Take a fucking look yourself and dare to tell me that combat isn't 'block then hit the AWESOME BUTTEN over and over before the foe can recover' for the most part.

SO you are the bullshit artist when anyone can pull up a video to see for themselves.

This particular display of ignorance sums up any Codex Dark Souls thread perfectly.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Again what fucking irks me is claims that DS is somehow superior and revolutionary compared to what we have on the PC when any number of ARPG's on the PC do things no worse and often better than what I've seen of DS. Sure some things are worse, but that's the nature of these games, some are better at somethings, worse at others and DS seems as shit in some areas as it looks good in others.
Your attitude likely explains why CD Projekt thought there was nothing wrong with making a melee-fighting system involving context-sensitive cinematic attacks. To not notice a difference between the two is so :?

Additionally Risen is worse because its auto-targeting is flimsy, some enemy attacks require guesswork, and you can circle-strafe with a shield up to your heart's content in most cases whereas DS uses stamina to discourage that behavior.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Fuck health regen, this one has health DRAIN!
:yeah:

Great game, but I still prefer Dark Souls. :roll:
Nothing wrong with that, even if I think that people like the game not strictly for its action aspect.

Kraszu

Prophet
Your attitude likely explains why CD Projekt thought there was nothing wrong with making a melee-fighting system involving context-sensitive cinematic attacks. To not notice a difference between the two is so :?

Additionally Risen is worse because its auto-targeting is flimsy, some enemy attacks require guesswork, and you can circle-strafe with a shield up to your heart's content in most cases whereas DS uses stamina to discourage that behavior.

http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1025831-Preview-radical-rebalancing
-Disabled automatic aiming

Risen especially using staff to fight, and this mod is great, and using shield doesn't work against every enemy, and even if it works then dodging gives you opportunity for better counters, but TW2 combat sucks true that.

Bros, looking at only the combat system in an incredibly spergy way, bringing it all down to "block and hit", is definitely a great way to misrepresent Dark Souls, and sound like a cheap John Madden at that ("To beat the game, you gotta kill the other guys without dying!" "Insightful commentary, John!"). What really makes the combat shine is the encounter and enemy design. It doesn't get stale in the way other action RPGs tend to.

First off, it has enemies that have varied attacks, so block and strike simply isn't viable against attacks that guard crush (a hit that breaks guard and deals full damage). You have to be able to dodge unless you have made a tank character with enough stamina, shield stability, and poise to shrug off hits. I'm not certain, and I'm just extrapolating from my experience with an "all-around" build, but it would seem some attacks are so powerful that you would need to completely sacrifice mobility to even have a chance of taking them without going into a stun animation, much less fully blocking it. Some attacks can't even be "dodged", at least by conventional means, requiring the use of terrain. I've seen this mostly on "big" bosses, like a dragon/drake that actually takes advantage of it's ability of flight. And other attacks "linger" like poison gas or curse breath, which cause status-ailment build-up if you stay within them. A lot of lizard creatures in the sewer area can quickly fill the place up with gas, making it a good idea to swiftly eliminate them. Finally, block plus hit fails miserably against multiple opponents. You won't have the stamina, and they will stagger attacks in order to make no safe opening.

Speaking of terrain, geography can make combat a little more interesting. Narrow passages can be great as choke points to give the player advantage against numerous foes, but it can also backfire. Trying to fight a spear and shield opponent in a narrow passageway with my slashy-sword was not going well, as I had little opportunity to flank the bad guy knight and my sword was often hitting the walls instead of, you know, the enemy (this is where being a pyromancer came in handy). Sometimes you'll also be fighting on elevated platforms where one bad dodge, or a sequence of being backed to an edge, will send you for an unpleasant fall. Though such terrain can also be turned against enemies as well. There are also swamps, sewers, and such that limit your movement when you're knee-deep in muck. Sometimes they also build up poison on your character, making fights there a bit more frantic.

The bottom line is that combat in Dark Souls is fun because, while the fundamentals aren't particularly deep, it makes fights feel fresh and interesting by making lots of enemies and encounters that all have their own little nuances that differentiate them from one another. In Dark Souls, enemies seem detailed and memorable. I remember the swamp monsters that throw, roll, and try to smash you with boulders because they're different from the crystal golems, who are different from the stone knights, who are different than the rapier soldiers, who are different from the slimes, who are different from the moss monsters. Bosses, which have been (with one exception) well done also stand out. You don't get this in a lot of the Western games. Look at Risen. I found an undead king in a long sequence of quests. He's a skeleton that fights no differently than any other sword+board fighter. Lame. Going up against Inquisitor Mendoza, supposedly some master of staff combat, wasn't much different from the fight in the monastery training as they pretty much used exactly the same moves. Everything kind of blends together. It's bland, and it's why Dark Souls is seen so favorably.

PS: Still playing through. Found a lava spider who might be a better boss than good ol' Phantom. Put her down, killed a hydra, and am currently exploring deep into the forest, trying to kill either the party of adventurers in one direction or the cat-wolf-armadillo.....things in another one. Tried exploring the demon ruins...but I'm pretty sure I'm not meant to be there as the demon titan dropped some serious rape. Fun shit. Fresh, new things keep showing up. Hope it stays that way.

Kraszu

Prophet
I remember the swamp monsters that throw, roll, and try to smash you with boulders because they're different from the crystal golems, who are different from the stone knights, who are different than the rapier soldiers, who are different from the slimes, who are different from the moss monsters. Bosses, which have been (with one exception) well done also stand out. You don't get this in a lot of the Western games. Look at Risen. I found an undead king in a long sequence of quests. He's a skeleton that fights no differently than any other sword+board fighter. Lame. Going up against Inquisitor Mendoza, supposedly some master of staff combat, wasn't much different from the fight in the monastery training as they pretty much used exactly the same moves. Everything kind of blends together. It's bland, and it's why Dark Souls is seen so favorably.

All of those fight diferently:
http://risen.deepsilver.com/blog/pages/en/risen/bestiary.php

There are few more as well.

And fighting isn't the only thing that you do, and you decide when to fight, and who making it more varied experience overall.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom