Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

War Hammer RPG - what happened?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Elwro said:
As much as I'd love this to be a Polish work, isn't it the GW art for "Death on the Reik"?

Yup, it is.

Rites of War is another 40k turnbased game, tried the demo a bit at some point. From what little I remember the ruleset was pretty complex, dunno how good it is though.

Nobody reads my LPs :x

quasimodo

Augur
drunkpriest said:
still waiting for my turn based 40k/whf pc game

Chaos Gate is turn based pc 40k game. It was okay as far as i remember in 98.
23054-warhammer-40-000-chaos-gate-windows-screenshot-starting-at.gif

I still keep a Win98 machine around just to play this game. It has a Win XP conflict I haven't found a fix for.

SkeleTony

Augur
Vaarna_Aarne said:
villain of the story said:
My wild guess would be Activision tried to make low-cost shitty action game using the name. Workshop objected. Deal fell through. Workshop found new partner. Activision prevented them using the name for computer game probably because they licensed it for themselves when they first signed a deal. Workshop used Hero Quest instead.

Has anyone played Hero Quest?
The boardgame Hero Quest is pretty much the best thing Games Workshop ever made.

PS: The Warhammer RPG system is a load of shit.

Correct. The Warhammer FRPG system was SOOOooo broken that they immediately published an errata issue of White Dwarf mag. containing like 300+ corrections and STILL missed several dozen glaringly obvious mistakes/issues. Had some nice artwork and I love the flavor of the Warhammer universe but Godammit they are not game designers by any stretch.

Re: HeroQuest

I only played the freeware version by...what's his name, Gerwyn Browers or something like that? It was fun and that version has a lot of cool stuff(like you can design your own adventures/campaigns and such). I believe GW had run into copyright problems as Chaosium/Avalon Hilll had previous RuneQuest based games or something with that name(in fact there was a LOT of stuff GW borrowed from RQ...unfortunately game design was not one of them.).

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, I'm gonna guess that Hero Quest was the end result of that news snippet.

Interesting how nobody has mentioned the Space Crusade game, released the year after Hero Quest. Space Crusade was the "lite" version of W40k just like Hero Quest was a "lite" version of Warhammer Fantasy, so to say. Except Genestealers become Soul Suckers. Problem, copyrights?

And Space Hulk, course. Pretty certain Space Hulk is the first official W40k computer game ever released.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Why are you newfags talking about HeroQuest the video game and not Hero Quest the board game? The board game is legendary in its awesomey goodness. It's a damn shame GW has never re-released it with the old price tag (oh wait that's physically impossible due to GW's "logic" on pricing their products).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Found a new notice in the January 1989 issue of Computer+Video Games:

Warhammer fans who have been looking forward to playing the hit role playimg game on their computer are in for a long wait.
After announcing to an eager PC show that they had signed the license to Warhammer - Activision have yet to start work on the game.
Head of development - Charles Cecil told AG "I value that license very highly" but so far no development team has been assigned to the project.
Role playing games traditionally take a longer time to design and program than arcade games.

I have been trying to think of some CRPGs that Mediagenic/Activision have released, but I can't think on any one?

crufty

Arcane
Amazing. I can't understand it. So they're saying right from the start they won't be making more of this but they decided to make the 'standalone' release nonetheless?

Yes. The game is pretty fun, their relationship with ffg has improved their game designers. Comes with a neat cloth ocean. The models are very high quality and the fluff ain't bad. You would think....new line of game? NOPE.

just like space hulk, gw refuses to risk anything that may cannibalize their sacred cows.

Xi

Arcane
The Heroquest CRPG is actually p. simple and accesible for newfags. Grab it with DOSBOX from somewhere. I dunno if Legacy of Sorasil is readily available, I orginally played it on the CD32 and the internet claims that it never actually existed on that platform :(.

Eat shit, John Blanche is a genius.

http://members.quicknet.nl/lm.broers/hquest.htm

I still have the tabletop game and most of the pieces. Pretty fun little game back in the day.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Yes. The game is pretty fun, their relationship with ffg has improved their game designers. Comes with a neat cloth ocean. The models are very high quality and the fluff ain't bad. You would think....new line of game? NOPE.

just like space hulk, gw refuses to risk anything that may cannibalize their sacred cows.

limited real estate in stores, and they don't want to be stuck supporting an old box.

It's not unusual, most board games have limited print runs.

Destroid

Arcane
It's not unusual, most board games have limited print runs.

This really sucks. A friend of mine even went so far as to reproduce an out of print boardgame so we could play it, there are some really great games that are very hard to get now.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
WFRP 1 and 2 were fantastic games with amazing artwork. Both were absolutely brutal games, with really deadly combat where your pc could be crippled quite easily. Add to that that you could play any kind of game, from a nobleman intruige, to a bandit investigation, to a cthulhu mythos inspired game, to a dungeon hack n slash, to a game where you took on demons. All using the same simple ruleset, especially v2 that did away with complicated subsystems and unified the system into a simple d10 based ruleset. d10 was the only dice rolled, for everything. It was beautiful.

Ofcourse, it could not last forever. Fucking Gamesworkshop wanted more money, so they took the game away from Black Industries, which had brought about the :incline: and gave it to FFG which made a retarded popamole 3rd edition that required cards and other shit to play. Oh and it cost like $99.99. Interparty relationships are now important, more important that fighting corruption and demons.

From all accounts, it is utter shit.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
The only interparty relationships i want to worry about is not giving my Co-players any reason to execute me as an heretic!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom