Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your mouse/keyboard combination

Kitako

Arcane
Didn't know my mouse was so popular (Logitech MX 518). I have that too, and it's my most durable piece of hardware.

I switch 5€ keyboards every couple of months, eating and smoking at pc isn't healthy for keyboards.

ChristofferC

Magister
Yeah, it isn't for the touch typing. It's the constant switching from other devices/programs back to the keyboard and that 0.5-1 second of time where you glance back to the keyboard in low-light conditions after taking your hands away that really causes fatigue/eye strain. It is especially tiresome when you're doing it all night and going between keyboard, mouse, tablet and midi keyboard/controller with all of the associated keyboard shortcuts of the various programs.
I don't get it. You have to look directly at your keyboard to know where it is?

Repressed Homosexual
Didn't know my mouse was so popular (Logitech MX 518). I have that too, and it's my most durable piece of hardware.

I switch 5€ keyboards every couple of months, eating and smoking at pc isn't healthy for keyboards.

MX518 is a good mouse, however there is an aiming problem, when you swipe the mouse on the pad in a straight diagonal fashion you will not get a straight line.

Mine didn't last though, the right click button always got stuck.

But I suppose that it will be the case with just about any mouse

@Christoffer

Yes, actually. My keyboard moves around, but that isn't the point.

Here's an exercise for you Christoffer. Swivel your chair away from your monitor with your hands down by your side, now look back directly at your monitor and press Ctrl+Alt+R without looking at the keyboard. You either missed the right keys or you hesitated to make sure you were on the right keys.

Now try the same thing in a dark room with monitor glare and feel free to look down at the keyboard when you press the key combo to help find it. Feel the eye strain looking back and forth?

Would you enjoy doing that all day? Maybe you don't realise the micro-glances you perform when you move your hands to and away from the keyboard even when touch typing. Or maybe you work more slowly than other people so don't notice the effect.

Humppaleka

Cipher
To necro a gearwhore thread... :rpgcodex:

Does anyone here use macros on their keyboards/mice? I've tried and tried to think up macros but just can't wrap my head around them but I rarely think of the combinations I do. If you do use, what do you use?
Just upgraded my mouse too, bought a CM Storm Inferno... So many buttons so cheap... Feels much better than that shitty plastic Lachesis I used for a year and a half. And I like the added weight on the mouse compared to Lachesis. And the customization is huge, very accurate DPI/sensitivity settings and macros + scripts (I don't even know what the fuck they are).

lefthandblack

Arcane
I don't use them very often but there have been instances where they have come in handy. Most recently I used them to get through several of the annoying twitch puzzles in Legend of Grimrock.

Gregz

Arcane
I'm going to take this opportunity to reiterate the following:

FVAS is superior to WSAD, and game shops that hardmap WSAD should be boycotted.

zeitgeist

Magister
vr96ol.png

WASD with Cherry Browns and a G700.

zeitgeist

Magister

I own a G700 too, but most of the time 3 of the side buttons don't work. Did you experience something like this? I'm inclined to believe it's software related since quite a few people have this problem.
You mean 3 of the 4 thumb buttons (G4-G7), or the three buttons on the side of the left button (G8-G10)? The only issue I've ever encountered is some games not recognizing buttons above their hardcoded number of mouse buttons and having to remap them to keystrokes instead.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I have the same keyboard as Muty, the steelseries 6GV2. Mechanical keyboards are great. Very good for gaming and I really like just typing away on them as well. Clickityclickyclick.
My mouse is probably one of the most common ones: Logitech MX 518. No need for extra mumbojumbo. It has a scrollwheel and has a very good size and shape.
Using a Sennheiser HD 595 headset (at night, mostly). Excellent for everything, great sound and comfort (even for long sittings).

Overall pretty common but highly regarded peripherals.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Steelseries 6Gv2 here too, awesome indeed. The mouse (Inferno) seems to really fit in my hand, thought I was a fingergrip person until this, as I really detest MX518.
I'll propably invest in good headphones (totally unrelated to thread but fuck you, I like sound), Grados or Ultrasone propably.
And could someone elaborate what the hell is FVAS? :retarded:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

Bullshit! QAOP are the correct keys for playing Micro Machines 2

CorpseZeb

Learned
... wow... you guys must have really big hands for the fvas or qaop one-hand operation...

Gregz

Arcane

Bullshit! QAOP are the correct keys for playing Micro Machines 2

Marsal

Mock if you must, but the index finger is the most dextrous finger in the hand, making FVAS far more responsive than WASD. FVAS FTW.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I own a G700 too, but most of the time 3 of the side buttons don't work. Did you experience something like this? I'm inclined to believe it's software related since quite a few people have this problem.
You mean 3 of the 4 thumb buttons (G4-G7), or the three buttons on the side of the left button (G8-G10)? The only issue I've ever encountered is some games not recognizing buttons above their hardcoded number of mouse buttons and having to remap them to keystrokes instead.

Yeah, the thumb buttons, specifically G5 and G6, they just don't work. The times I do get them to work (through a lot of unorganized fiddling, ie, connecting/disconnecting the cable, removing batteries, reinstalling setpoint, etc, etc) they don't last long. Soon they're back to their inoperative state. This sucks.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Does anyone here use macros on their keyboards/mice? I've tried and tried to think up macros but just can't wrap my head around them but I rarely think of the combinations I do. If you do use, what do you use?
Just upgraded my mouse too, bought a CM Storm Inferno... So many buttons so cheap... Feels much better than that shitty plastic Lachesis I used for a year and a half. And I like the added weight on the mouse compared to Lachesis. And the customization is huge, very accurate DPI/sensitivity settings and macros + scripts (I don't even know what the fuck they are).
Macros are really only useful for MMOs and in some cases strategy games, outside of a few very specific circumstances. As MMOs are the only games really designed with macro-based play in mind in the first place, you shouldn't need them anywhere else. I have five macro keys on my keyboard and never use them because the games I play never, ever require them.

Yeah, the thumb buttons, specifically G5 and G6, they just don't work. The times I do get them to work (through a lot of unorganized fiddling, ie, connecting/disconnecting the cable, removing batteries, reinstalling setpoint, etc, etc) they don't last long. Soon thay're back to their inoperative state. This sucks.
You do have the newest drivers installed, right? Maybe reinstall them? Otherwise, probably needs an RMA.

I'll propably invest in good headphones (totally unrelated to thread but fuck you, I like sound), Grados or Ultrasone propably.
Look into Shure or Denon - in my opinion they have much better headphones in the $150-250 USD price range, much flatter and more neutral than the likes of Grado to boot (which sound good but are very heavily biased).

Marsal

Arcane
Marsal

Mock if you must, but the index finger is the most dextrous finger in the hand, making FVAS far more responsive than WASD. FVAS FTW.
I will, and mercilessly so :smug:

I never heard of a more absurd setup. Would you take a picture of your hand in "gaming" position? Is it: index finger over F and V, 3rd and 4th finger over A and S? Why skip D and C in favor of F and V? Wouldn't D + X or F + C fit more naturally? Explain it to me, so I can understand the magnitude of your madness.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Look into Shure or Denon - in my opinion they have much better headphones in the $150-250 USD price range, much flatter and more neutral than the likes of Grado to boot (which sound good but are very heavily biased).
Hmm Shure and Denon sure are good headphone brands but they are insanely overpriced for what they deliver, like the Apple of audio. I have a few options beside them and I like a lot of diversity in sound, Grados would be very portable and Ultrasone would be pretty neutral. Leaning towards Alessandro headphones also. Thanks for the tip though, haven't decided anything yet.
/offtopic

ESDF is superior to WASD so long as you don't have small woman hands. Greatly expands the # of available keys for the pinky finger. Also pretty easy to switch back and forth whenever you come across crappy games that don't let you remap (so long as you aren't required to reposition your hand, which doesn't happen for FPS).

ASFV? I'm assuming Pinky on A, Ring on S, Index on FV? You don't need Dex to press a key fast or to hold it down, you need Dex to reach far keys. While running forward with your index finger on F you then only have your middle finger available for alternate key presses, which leaves open only E/D/C/R/X as usable controls. There is no second finger available to move forward/backward that would leave the index finger available to utilize its dexterity.

The advantage of WASD or similar schemes is that you can smoothly press 10-20 keys easily without affecting movement. All 4 directions and all 8 directional combinations can be easily done with multiple sets of fingers, leaving the entire side of the keyboard free for mapping of controls. If I need to hit Y/J/N with ESDF, I can quickly switch ring finger to E and middle finger to D, then reach half way across the keyboard. If I need to hit C, I can either use index + middle or ring + middle to hold down whatever key I need while the other key gets C.

Here's an exercise for you Christoffer. Swivel your chair away from your monitor with your hands down by your side, now look back directly at your monitor and press Ctrl+Alt+R without looking at the keyboard. You either missed the right keys or you hesitated to make sure you were on the right keys.

I thought anyone who knew how to keyboard could do this? CTRL/ALT/SHIFT combinations should be completely ingrained in the memory of anyone who uses shortcuts for things.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Hmm Shure and Denon sure are good headphone brands but they are insanely overpriced for what they deliver, like the Apple of audio. I have a few options beside them and I like a lot of diversity in sound, Grados would be very portable and Ultrasone would be pretty neutral. Leaning towards Alessandro headphones also. Thanks for the tip though, haven't decided anything yet.
/offtopic
Denon and Shure are overpriced while Grado isn't?

I mean yeah, maybe there are smaller, lesser-known brands out there that are just as good - I'm not into the "headphone scene" as much - but when I think overpriced headphones, I think Grado, Bose, maybe Sennheiser, etc.

Gregz

Arcane
Marsal

I will, and mercilessly so :smug:

I never heard of a more absurd setup. Would you take a picture of your hand in "gaming" position? Is it: index finger over F and V, 3rd and 4th finger over A and S? Why skip D and C in favor of F and V? Wouldn't D + X or F + C fit more naturally? Explain it to me, so I can understand the magnitude of your madness.

Yes, you understand it correctly. It's perfectly natural as the position uses the 'homekeys' reserving 'forward and back' for the strongest, fastest, most dextrous finger...the index finger.

ESDF is superior to WASD so long as you don't have small woman hands. Greatly expands the # of available keys for the pinky finger. Also pretty easy to switch back and forth whenever you come across crappy games that don't let you remap (so long as you aren't required to reposition your hand, which doesn't happen for FPS).

ESDF is a better configuration than WASD for the reasons you mention, and the middle finger is more dextrous (faster, more reliable, has more nerve endings, etc.) than the ring finger, and you have more adjacent keys available for games that require many keys.

ASFV? I'm assuming Pinky on A, Ring on S, Index on FV? You don't need Dex to press a key fast or to hold it down, you need Dex to reach far keys. While running forward with your index finger on F you then only have your middle finger available for alternate key presses, which leaves open only E/D/C/R/X as usable controls. There is no second finger available to move forward/backward that would leave the index finger available to utilize its dexterity.

The advantage of WASD or similar schemes is that you can smoothly press 10-20 keys easily without affecting movement. All 4 directions and all 8 directional combinations can be easily done with multiple sets of fingers, leaving the entire side of the keyboard free for mapping of controls. If I need to hit Y/J/N with ESDF, I can quickly switch ring finger to E and middle finger to D, then reach half way across the keyboard. If I need to hit C, I can either use index + middle or ring + middle to hold down whatever key I need while the other key gets C.

I thought anyone who knew how to keyboard could do this? CTRL/ALT/SHIFT combinations should be completely ingrained in the memory of anyone who uses shortcuts for things.

Ultimately I would probably prefer SDFG so that each key move action is assigned a unique finger, rather than sharing two keys with the best (strongest, fastest, most reliable) finger. But, as you have mentioned the CTRL/ALT/SHIFT paradigm fits with the homekeys, and there are many instances when a player (say multiplayer pvp chat) needs to quickly switch back to typing normal words, where again the homekey grouping is the standard we've learned.

I love this topic because it's:

a) seemingly absurd but actually affects performance
b) agitates personal prejudices, and demonstrates the degree of human attachment we have to such silly things

Thankfully most games have open key binding where you can map just about any key to any function, those that don't (and they are still being made today, a lot of Flash games force WASD on the player for instance), should be melted down in ritual sacrifice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom