Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games where you play a corrupt cop or official

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are there any? Or at least, any that heavily involve such corruption?

300px-Training_day_ver1.jpg
badlieutenantherzog.jpg

Chuck Norris

Augur
There's True Crime: New York City. You play as a black cop and you have the choice to be a good or bad. It was panned by critics. But I think it was a decent game if you don't have high expectations.

grotsnik

Arcane
Sometimes I think I'd like to see a cops 'n' robbers game that, essentially, just stole wholesale from The Wire - where you're trying to catch criminals by making sure witnesses survive long enough to get the case to court, making wire-taps, tricking suspects into signing confessions, etc, instead of just shooting your way through a warehouse full of them and then killing the gang leader in a boss fight. A game where you get to know and study the various villains you're up against for longer than a couple of taunting audio recordings and a cutscene. Headshotted that drug dealer like a badass? Maybe you'll avoid investigation and prosecution, if you've got a friend in the higher-ups or one of your fellow grunts is prepared to lie for you and help you move the body out onto the street. Do you beat the shit out of the knuckleheads on the corner, help yourself to the drug money during raids, even pass confidential police information on to criminal contacts, or do you become the sickly-sweet-and-caring community officer who tries to get the kids off the streets? Stick to your increasingly strained principles or rise through the ranks through networking, lies, backstabbing, and taking the credit for other peoples' work?

...yeah, it'd never happen in a thousand years.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sometimes I think I'd like to see a cops 'n' robbers game that, essentially, just stole wholesale from The Wire - where you're trying to catch criminals by making sure witnesses survive long enough to get the case to court, making wire-taps, tricking suspects into signing confessions, etc, instead of just shooting your way through a warehouse full of them and then killing the gang leader in a boss fight. A game where you get to know and study the various villains you're up against for longer than a couple of taunting audio recordings and a cutscene. Headshotted that drug dealer like a badass? Maybe you'll avoid investigation and prosecution, if you've got a friend in the higher-ups or one of your fellow grunts is prepared to lie for you and help you move the body out onto the street. Do you beat the shit out of the knuckleheads on the corner, help yourself to the drug money during raids, even pass confidential police information on to criminal contacts, or do you become the sickly-sweet-and-caring community officer who tries to get the kids off the streets? Stick to your increasingly strained principles or rise through the ranks through networking, lies, backstabbing, and taking the credit for other peoples' work?

...yeah, it'd never happen in a thousand years.

Funny that you say that. Sometimes I feel like DA2 was Bioware's doomed attempt to make a 'story of a city', in the same way that the plot of The Wire is first and foremost a story of Baltimore.

I think somebody at the Bioware writing team once expressed admiration for The Wire, although they didn't mention the fact that it was based around one city as the reason for their admiration. I think they liked its character-centricness.

grotsnik

Arcane
Well, you're totally right, I think. It was just that the city itself was half-assedly and jarringly conceived in so many aspects of its design, from the unimaginative names of the areas of town to the hundreds of bandits flinging themselves from every rooftop, and the idea didn't mesh well with their bizarrely disconnected, unchangeable three-act storyline, the persistent anachronistic Whedon-ish 'comedy' stylings, and the need to have their absurd hero being, for no given reason, the most important figure in the city instead of one character, however influential, who's part of a larger system.

Standard shit about that godawful game aside, surely if you're going to make an engaging game about a PC's rise from rags to riches in a city, you need to a) make the effects of poverty and wealth significant and b) actually push the player into choosing between alliances, patrons, investments, and give them the ability to fail. What's the point of just letting the story drag the player along on their own supposed central motivation, like a caveman rapist?

It's pretty much expected of Rockstar games to have corrupt characters in positions of authority. Sometimes these games do a good job of it too.

L. A. Noire? One of the desks is pretty involved in corruption, and in some cases your superiors would order you to arrest the more subversive suspect, even if the case against him was weaker than for others.

Mostly it didn't amount to shit other than the star rating, though.

TripJack

Hedonist
why would anyone want to play as a corrupt cop don't you know that good always prevails in the real world

:dance:

Renegen

Arcane
Just got me thinking but in the adventure game KGB you play as a KGB officer who's in charge of sniffing out KGB corruption, so you deal with corrupt "cops" and other savory individuals.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS THIS IS A TOTAL ASIDE TO THE THREAD BUT I THOUGHT THE COOLEST THING IN THE WIRE WAS CYNICAL COVER YOUR ASS POLICE POLICY IN WHICH CATCHING CRIMINALS WAS SECOND OR THIRD OR MORE BELOW STATISTICS AND PROTECTING TERRITORY AND MAKING SOMEONE YOU HATE LOOK LIKE SHIT

BROS IN THE LAST COUPLE SEASONS THE DRUG DEALERS HAD SOME OF THE SAME BUROCRATIC MESS I LIKED THAT COMPARISON

IN TERMS OF THEMES THERE MAY BE LOTS OF GAMES THAT APPLY BUT MAYBE THE BRO THAT MENTIONED TROPICO HAD THE ONLY EXAMPLE OF CORRUPTION MAKING A GAMEPLY DIFFERENCE WELL ALSO REPUBLIC THE REVOLUTION HAD SOME OF THIS BUT IT WASNT FLESHED OUT

There's True Crime: New York City. You play as a black cop and you have the choice to be a good or bad. It was panned by critics. But I think it was a decent game if you don't have high expectations.

You could do it in the original too to some degree. The plot would then dead-end after awhile because certain story missions only show up for 'good' guys.

It also had the most ball bustingly unfair 1v1 boss fights. OMG, that friggin North Korean General. He was like Geese Howard in the old King of Fighters games. Almost every move had higher priority than yours, and you'd just end up tossed or punched in the neck.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Does Kingpin A Life of Crime count ? Guess not really, but the game the OP is looking for.. does not really exist.

Samuel L. Jackson in GTA San Andreas is that character, but you do not control him.

spectre

Arcane
You can try the Guild series. The game is basically about slowly taking over power in reneissance towns by means of bribery, assassination and blackmail. At the beginning you cannot do a lot, but as you climb up the ladder and position your offspring on all the important posts, you have free reign to abuse your political power.
Some plausible scenarios in the game are:
(o) kill the town major in a duel then bribe the entire council to elect you in his stead. Embezzle public money to gain the much needed funds to remain on post.
(o) then, slowly replace the council members with your friends and family by sending them to prison (spy on them to expose their dirt, or plant evidence that they attempt to control the nation through necromancy).
(o) have two sons, one of them will be a highwayman robbing caravans and killing people you do not approve of. the other wil be a bishop that periodically absolves the other brother's sins so that nobody's got a thing on him.

It has its problems, pacing is slow unless you use exploits, the economy is broken and imo it requires a bit too much larping to get into - there's NOT that much to do and most of the things are more or less flavor, stil, it's a one of a kind game.
Come to think of it's it's a pretty good codex LP material.

NARC? Didn't play it past the first 10 minutes, but description makes it sound like what you're looking for

A routine stop for a traffic violation turns into a bloodbath as a drug dealer kills eight police officers. The DEA sends Detectives Jack Forzenski and Marcus Hill to help investigate a new mystery drug and to untangle a web of lies, betrayals, secrets, and temptations. As Jack and Marcus, your decisions determine whether you're a good cop or a bad cop--turn the drugs into evidence and become the hero, or sell them on the street to earn some cash. No matter what path you choose, NARC gives you the chance to bust criminals, wield an arsenal of hi-tech police weaponry, and engage in rough street fighting.

914629_20050330_screen012.jpg
914629_20040826_screen005.jpg
914629_20040826_screen001.jpg

PC and PS2.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
In a couple of visual novels you play an anti-hero (assassin, criminal mastermind). I think there is one (Japanese only) where you're actually a law enforcement officer.

Otherwise... Liberal Crime Squad?

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
NARC? Didn't play it past the first 10 minutes, but description makes it sound like what you're looking for

A routine stop for a traffic violation turns into a bloodbath as a drug dealer kills eight police officers. The DEA sends Detectives Jack Forzenski and Marcus Hill to help investigate a new mystery drug and to untangle a web of lies, betrayals, secrets, and temptations. As Jack and Marcus, your decisions determine whether you're a good cop or a bad cop--turn the drugs into evidence and become the hero, or sell them on the street to earn some cash. No matter what path you choose, NARC gives you the chance to bust criminals, wield an arsenal of hi-tech police weaponry, and engage in rough street fighting.

914629_20050330_screen012.jpg
914629_20040826_screen005.jpg
914629_20040826_screen001.jpg

PC and PS2.
Holy shit, they re-made NARC ??

anus_pounder

Arcane

You could do it in the original too to some degree. The plot would then dead-end after awhile because certain story missions only show up for 'good' guys.

It also had the most ball bustingly unfair 1v1 boss fights. OMG, that friggin North Korean General. He was like Geese Howard in the old King of Fighters games. Almost every move had higher priority than yours, and you'd just end up tossed or punched in the neck.

Disagreed. The bad (unfinished) ending General was the easiest of the 3 end-game fights. The General, when fought in the good-complete, ending was the ridiculous one. I couldn't be arsed to keep trying again and decided to watch the ending on youtube, instead. :oops:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom